Start by marking “Sons of the Rapture” as Want to Read:
Sons of the Rapture

Sons of the Rapture

Billy Jones and his dad have a score to settle. Up in Chicago, Billy drowns his past in booze. In South Carolina, his father saddles up for a drive to reclaim him. Caught in this perfect storm is a ragged assortment of savants: shape-shifting doctor, despairingly bisexual bombshell, tiara-crowned trumpeter, zombie senator.
Published September 1st 2006 by Featherproof Books (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Sons of the Rapture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sons of the Rapture

Start your review of Sons of the Rapture
Shauna
Aug 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: you
READ. THIS. BOOK. Good grief. It's incredible. In parts Todd rivals Pynchon for audacity and madness, yet the organization and pace of the story are controlled, symphonic, clear. I'm not kidding. I'm going to need for you to read it and report back to me.

This isn't a ploy to help a nice guy sell copies, either -- drop me a line if you're flat broke, and I'll send you mine. I want you to read this book.
Melanie Page
Aug 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
If you try to read this book out loud, you'll realize you find like you're trying to read for the first time. Sentences are confusingly worded in a way that doesn't add rhythm or meaning that I can see. Abandoned.
featherproof
Dec 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: we-published-it
Told from various points of view—each unique, beautiful and strange—with his debut novel Dills has tapped into a zeitgeist unique to America. He explores the surly restlessness of youth, the repressed anger of a still-divided country, and the confused joy of perpetual drunkenness. Fans of Barry Hannah and Walter Kirn will recognize a similar investigation of America's jagged psychology.

"TOP 5 LOCAL BOOKS OF 2006"
- Newcity | full article

"Sons of the Rapture is a gloriously ambitious achievement."
-The Ele/>-The/>"Sonsarticle

/>"TOP
Zweegas
Feb 17, 2010 marked it as abandoned

I read all of Part 1 which is over half but less than two-thirds.

I'm so confused. Why did this get published? How did it make it into my public library system? It's so bad. If the point of this book is to immortalize the Two-Way Lounge (an actual real-life dive bar close to where I live) in literature, then at least this novel has some reason to exist.

That being said, one of the characters is named Artichoke Heart (or A.H. for short) and my favorite part of the whole thin
Doug
Jan 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
First novel by Dills, editor of THE2NDHAND (http://the2ndhand.com); fine, fine work of new Southern fiction. The music of it. Dills deftly uses Southern idiom without turning it into a series of palatable cliches for Yankees. And the humor is great. Et tu, hipster?

Cate
Aug 05, 2012 added it
I had to force myself to finish this book.
It's so disjointed that it was hard to really become invested in it.
The second half of the book was much more enjoyable than the first half, to me.
Kody
Katie
rated it it was ok
Aug 05, 2007
L.
rated it did not like it
Nov 02, 2008
Evan
Apr 14, 2012
Zachary
Mar 15, 2007
Todd Dills is the author of a novel (Sons of the Rapture, Featherproof 2006) and the 2013 Triumph of the Ape short-story collection. He's also the editor, publisher and founder of Nashville-based occasional book and online lit publisher THE2NDHAND (http://www.the2ndhand.com), for which he edited too book-length collections of short fiction, "All Hands On," published in 2004 and 2011, resp(Sons ...more