Start by marking “Gone With The Ghost (Murder by Design #1)” as Want to Read:
Gone With The Ghost (Murder by Design #1)

Gone With The Ghost

(Murder by Design #1)

Published May 23rd 2017 by SilverHart Publishing (first published May 22nd 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Gone With The Ghost, please sign up.
C.E.M I have not read the series yet, but I would assume they are in their mid-late twenties or thirties. It says that the main character owns a business an…moreI have not read the series yet, but I would assume they are in their mid-late twenties or thirties. It says that the main character owns a business and that the other one was already a cop. Definitely not teens.(less)

Start your review of Gone With The Ghost (Murder by Design #1)
Cheryl
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a seriously fun read for me, with a new author I'll be sure to follow. Wonderfully warm characters (even the cold ones) and a witty dialogue hold your attention and this story was the antidote I needed after a few particularly dark novels. Light detection, a bit of sexual angst and a few laughs - a perfect recipe for a great afternoon's reading.
Christina T
Erin McCarthy is the queen of fun lighthearted reads.

The Good, The Bad, And Everything In Between: I love when the paranormal rubs elbows with mystery especially when it's chock full of humor. I giggled, smiled, and literally LOL a couple of times throughout this book. I enjoyed the various characters including Bailey and Ryan but wish they were more fleshed out. The book is rather short which is awesome for me because I have been struggling with sticking with longer books but, honestly, if it
Siobhan
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m a big lover of gritty thrillers, the gory kind that leave many turning their heads, but something about the cosy mystery genre has always intrigued me. I have picked up one or two in the past, but never really stuck to them. They are the kinds of books I pick up when I want a bit of a break. However, despite how they are not my favourite kinds of reads, I still find myself intrigued by many books in the genre. Gone With The Ghost, the first book in Erin McCarthy’s Murder by Design series, is ...more
Aarann
Oct 25, 2017 marked it as dnf
DNF at 37%

This book... I dunno. I'm not sure if it was it or me, but I was not getting into it. It just seemed like it was taking too long for the actual investigation part of the mystery to get going. Plus, I wasn't connecting with Bailey as a character and just... blech!

I'm not sure if it was the book or me, so I may try this again sometime, but for now, I just don't want to have to force myself with it anymore.
Meg
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A light, easy read. I really liked the writing style. A good mystery and some likable characters. The mc did carry on a little too long and often about lost chances, and the male lead lost some of his shine when the truth came out, but overall a very decent recent. Enough for the next one to end up on my WL. Very borderline cozy, imo.
Elle's Book Blog
Release Date: May 23, 2017
Genre: Paranormal Mystery

Gone with the Ghost is the first in a brand new paranormal mystery series by Erin McCarthy. While it's an extremely quick read at only 220 pages, everything get done in an ample amount of time to keep readers satisfied. For me, I love paranormal mysteries so any new ones that are being released will almost immediately call my name. On top of that, knowing that this book was written by Erin McCarthy (I used to read all of her books way back i
Casey
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Gone with the Ghost” by Erin McCarthy was a very humorous book and made me laugh aloud multiple times! I really enjoyed all the characters, because each were well developed had their own personalities. I will be looking into more of McCarthy’s books, and I rate “Gone with the Ghost” 4.5 stars.
Amy
Kindle-freebie. As always, you pay for what you get. But I enjoyed it.
Six months ago, Bailey Burke's best friend committed suicide. Worse, he did it right after she confessed her love to him. Now she can barely live with herself. When he suddenly appears to her as a ghost and begs her to help him solve the mystery of his murder, she half thinks she has gone crazy. But if he didn't kill himself...who did?

SO, let's talk about the elephant in the room. Bailey Burke is supposed to be a redhead. And
Kathy Davie
First in the Murder by Design mystery series that combines amateur sleuth with a dollop of paranormal fantasy. It all revolves around Bailey Burke, a house staging designer and the ghost of her best friend.

My Take
It’s a case of getting out of purgatory. Both literally and figuratively. Ooh, that was mean of me. I normally read a book in a day, but this one. This one took me two weeks. I kept putting it down because it was so dull.

It took forever to get somewhere. I suspect part of it was Bailey’
Darcy
Jun 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book, mystery, 2018, ghosts
For the most part I liked this book. I liked Bailey, liked that she stood by her friend, Ryan, even after he died and he blew her off right before he died. Ryan was the one thing about this book I didn't like. As the book went on we learned just how big of a douche bag he was, which made me glad that Bailey was able to dodge a bullet when he blew her off, she deserved someone better.

I really didn't see who the killer was, I thought it was going to be someone else. Now with a second ghost showing
* A review copy was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review *

~ 4 Ghostly Stars ~

What a fun and entertaining mystery. This was exactly what I had been looking for. This book brought me back to my Nancy Drew days as a kid.

I loved the storyline and the characters we met in this book. I will tell you this...this book is not really a romantic suspense story. Yes there is a little bit of an underlying romance that budded but the main point to this book is the mystery and being able
Vicki
Who doesn't love a good, fun ghost story? Gone With The Ghost, the first book in Erin McCarthy’s Murder by Design series, is just one heck of a fun read. One of my favorite genres is a good psychological thriller, but a cozy mystery is a different kind of mystery read so I like to switch back and forth some. This is my first Erin McCarthy read (I'm pretty sure) and I know I'll read more of her now, thanks to this book.

Obviously with Ghost in the title, this is a paranormal book. When I joined G
Sandee
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, cute read. Bailey is a warm and fun character with distinct strengths and flaws. Ryan is such a player I had to laugh. I don't usually enjoy ghost mysteries but I love the flow of the writing and the humor caught my funny bone. Add in a potential romance with a detective (it is a cozy mystery) and some seriously weird bad guys and I enjoyed it. I will be reading more from this series.
marie♡
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I hoped that he had found peace. Hell, I hoped I had.

“I’ve always loved you, Ryan.”

There, I said it. Not in a romantic kind of love way, but as the platonic love that it had always been, even when I hadn’t understood that. It was said with no expectation of him saying anything in return. He wasn’t sentimental. But he surprised me. His voice was gruff, but he managed,

“I love you too.”

it seems too much to ask for ryan and bailey to be together because ryan is already dead.... I'm really sad but
Tash
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reviewed @ Confessions From Romaholics
Review copy kindly provided by author in exchange for a honest review

Gone with the Ghost is the first in the Murder by Design series which throws together two best friends in a unpredictable situation when one dies and the other is left to solve their death. A death that may be not as simple as the one left behind thought . Our criminal solver Bailey is far from the typical character I expected to be solving crimes. She an interior designer with a flair for
Mary Brown
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gone With The Ghost
Murder By Design, Book #1
Erin McCarthy
5 Stars

Synopsis:

Bailey Burke has had a rough six months—it’s not easy thinking your romantic overtures toward your best friend caused him to kill himself. Except that’s exactly what happened. Ryan is very much dead, having shot himself with his own police-issued gun. Guilt and grief shouldn’t cause hallucinations though, but six months after Ryan went into the ground, Bailey is freaking out and swearing his ghost is standing in her kitchen
Nalla Reads
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
Mystery gone ghostly!

Originally posted on NallaReads

image1.JPG

I'm so glad Erin is BACK! And not only has she got a tale to tell, it's a freakin GHOST MURDER MYSTERY! And it's in my hometown so I've already got love for this series.

Moving on, I love Bailey: she's smart, she's funny, and she has this adorable awkwardness about her where I instantly connected. Her reaction to Ryan's ghost showing up is so honest and believable. Having a mystery story that really dedicates itself to the story of "who-done

Diane ~Firefly~
Bailey is shocked when the ghost of her dead best friend shows up asking for help.

What I enjoyed:
* Having Ryan's ghost show up was the best thing for Bailey. She really needed the closure she got from finding out more about his life.
* I want to know more about these "rules" of the afterlife, I can't believe the dead have to pass classes
* Good mystery (view spoiler)

What could have been better:
* It is a pe
Tammy
Ghost P.I. Partner

The story starts out.... The day I tried to kiss my best friend Ryan he killed himself....Very interesting
Bailey blamed herself for 6 months for Ryan's suicide until Ryan showed up as a ghost that only she could see and hear asking her to help him solve his murder..
This story reminded me of the movie Ghost with Patrick Swayze... I loved the humor and sassy talk between Bailey and Ryan and how he would pop in at odd moments that were embarrassing to Bailey..laugh out loud moment
bookaholic ge
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I voluntarily read and advanced review copy of this book

I must admit that I did not know what to expect after reading the description of this book only because I have lost people who have committed suicide but the book did not focus only on that. I found it to be funny and suspenseful.

Erin did a great job creating this murder mystery all while keeping things funny due to Bailey Burke's quirky attitude.
Lakshmi C
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
3 Collecting my ghosts stars
Pat Cray-Hollis
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ghost-mystery
great funny series. I had a friend always said you need a day to laugh and this book provided that for me.

I highly recommend this series.
Jessie Linz
I read this in a hour. It was weird.
Whitney Mcgregor (A Literary Perusal)
3.5 Stars...

Gone with the Ghost is a mystery novel from an author I've previously enjoyed reading romance from. I wanted something a little different than my standard romantic genre and hoped to find a new series to look forward to.

Overall, I was pleased with this book. It's definitely not traditional romance but does have some romantic elements to it. The main two characters are Bailey, a slightly down on her luck former crime scene analysis turned home stager/designer. She doesn't like blood a
books are love
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Received in exchange for a honest review.

so I loved the quirky humor in this book. It’s refreshing to see. I also loved the home stager becoming detective for her best friend and seeing him through different eyes. Even if he is a ghost and she is the only one who can see him.

the quirky humour on the classes in purgatory and all the off brand humour helped to add some levity to the dangerous situation that was unfolding before our eyes.

Overall Ryan is a good guy just made some bad choices. He ch
Annette
Sep 05, 2018 rated it liked it
WOW!

I got this book because I thought it sounded like a cute premise in a cozy mystery.

Not so much.

Bailey is a woman who stages homes for sale, but she once worked as a crime scene tech for the police department. Six months ago, her best friend, Ryan, took his own life. He shot himself right after she had kissed him. He was a cop and the police department say it was a suicide.

Now Ryan has returned from the dead and he wants Bailey to help him find out who murdered him. He does not remember what
Pamela
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really can't give this a full rating because I didn't finish the book. It wasn't my type of book. When the ghost was wondering about weather he could get still erection and about women's boobs I finally stopped.

I don't want to tell anyone not to read this just wasn't for me.
Dustyloup
Charming, fun freebie. The unanswered plot holes were just a but much for me. I understand there had to be some mystery, but the relationship building and communication could've been better. Moments that were supposed to be mysterious or suspenseful just felt empty instead
J.M. Cornwell
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not your typical murder mystery

What do you do when the man your morning pops up in your kitchen and says he needs you to help prove who murdered him? In this case, you do what you've always done, jump in with both feet and help him. After all, he is your best friend and you love him. You have always loved him and you told him the night he committed suicide, which is why you have spent the past eight months mired in guilt over his death and unable to swallow food and losing weight, looking like a
Karen Field
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've had an hankering to read a cozy mystery lately, so when I saw this ebook being offered for free, I thought I'd give it a go.

Imagine waking up one morning to find your dead best friend standing in your kitchen asking you to solve a murder, their murder. That's the basis of this book.

Whilst the book was entertaining and amusing, the main character's obsession with breasts (hers as well as every set she sees) really irritated me. It was over the top. Too much. I got sick of reading about doub

• The Fear Hunter (Agatha Bright Mysteries, #1)
  • Destiny's a Witch (Wicked Good Mystery #1)
  • The Eleventh Hour (Poppy McGuire Mysteries Book 1)
  • At Wits' End (Doyle / Wits' End Book 1)
  • Humpty Bumpkin (Country Cousin #1)
  • Witches' Brew (Witches and Wine, #1)
  • Steeped in Murder: A Tea and Tarot Cozy Mystery
  • Country Cottage Mysteries: Books 1-3 (Country Cottage Mysteries Boxed Set Book 1)
  • Ghost of a Chance (Maggie Mulgrew Mysteries #1)
  • Arsenic in the Azaleas (Lovely Lethal Gardens, #1)
  • Die Noon (Goodnight Mysteries, #1)
  • Springtime for Murder (Sophie Sayers Village Mysteries #5)
  • Dial P For Poison (Movie Club Mysteries, #1)
  • A Bottle Full of Djinn (Sunnyside Retired Witches Community #1)
  • Marigolds and Murder (Port Danby Cozy Mystery #1)
  • Gusty Lovers and Cadavers (Raina Sun Mystery #2)
  • Steeped in Suspicion (A Pebble Cove Teahouse Mystery #1)
  • A Dead End (Saints & Strangers, #1)
USA Today and New York Times Bestselling author Erin McCarthy sold her first book in 2002 and has since written over seventy novels and novellas in teen fiction, new adult, and adult romance. Erin has a special weakness for tattoos, high-heeled boots, beaches and martinis. She lives in Ohio with her family, two grumpy cats and a socially awkward dog.

Murder by Design (6 books)
  • Silence of the Ghost (Murder By Design Book 2)
  • Once Upon A Ghost (Murder By Design Book 3)
  • How the Ghost Stole Christmas (Murder By Design #4)
  • It's A Ghost's Life (Murder By Design #5)
  • Ghosts Like it Hot