Start by marking “Below” as Want to Read:
Below

Below

Everyone knows the late wizard Visak left his fortune hidden in the vast underground ruins of the Elder Kingdom, safer than any bank. Brenish, a mediocre highwayman but a brilliant liar, always dreamed of finding riches in the deeps himself. Since his fascination has earned him a reputation as a lore master, he’s the perfect man to sell a forger’s masterpiece: the wizard’s ...more
Published May 19th 2017 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Below, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Below

Start your review of Below
Kat
Apr 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm so happy to finally see this listed here! I can't wait until the final proofing is done so I can hold a printed copy in my hands! I love the cover art, the artist did a great job of capturing the feeling of the book. The only thing I think this book is missing is a map, but since I've already had this conversation with the author (aka my favorite brother ) he's aware of my opinion, and has said he may add one in future editions. Fingers crossed! ...more
Esme
Nov 03, 2018 added it
This is a world where treasure is buried deep beneath the earth, guarded by goblins, ghouls, and other monsters. The Fell Current is a pull that almost everyone feels, even if they try to deny it. It’s an urge to go below the ground, to the land of the Elder Kingdom in search of the treasure buried within the forgotten realm. Those who go Fell are rarely seen from again, many people venture into the depths never to return again – or if they do return, they emerge with half the number they ...more
Guy Byars
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Superbly written, a ripping yarn.

What a book! A talented storyteller, Lee delivers a breakneck-paced adventure that hits all of the quick, entertaining fantasy buttons while somehow managing to burst at the seams with epic lore. Rifts and ancient Romans and Nordic roots, I still find it difficult to fathom how so much world managed to get built in such a tightly written romp.

Best of all to my fellow beleaguered bibliophiles, Below is a standalone novel. Read it immediately and be entertained and
Jayme
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
Holy. Shit. (Pardon my language) But what an adventure! Wow! Magic, puzzles, deception, betrayal, treasure, and fantastical creatures fill these pages. It's been a really long time since I've been on an adventure of this magnitude! Excellent prose and characters. Very smooth story from start to finish. I couldn't put it down and I didn't want to when I was forced to do so. I really hope Lee will venture back into this world or one similar to it. Simply amazing!
Megan
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
I enjoy stories, generally, that explore that wider world in which fantasy adventures occur. It is the back story that we gloss over every time we start a new role playing campaign.
This is perhaps the only one I've read that takes the story serious.

I started out feeling like the overall feel was pretty dark, but the story was quite compelling and interesting. I think it ended just a tiny bit short, but otherwise was an excellent and interesting read.
Andy Whitfield
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid fantasy adventure

Read as a throwback novel to a time when every fantasy novel didn't have to be a six book series. If you're a roguelike player like I am, I think you'll get extra enjoyment out of it, but if you like a good sword and sorcery romp, I think you'll enjoy this.
Ryan
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun, well crafted crawl with deep characters

I seriously enjoyed this book! It really captured the feel of dungeon crawling, and the characters were well thought out, engaging and cool. I look forward to seeing more from Gaiteri for sure.
Ellen Truitt
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I loved this book. It held my attention..
Lori March
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A pleasure to read. This story was like living in a video game. I enjoyed the different world keeping the characters on their toes with creatures to battle and treasures to plunder. The potential for magic is practically unlimited. Great mix of characters. I would love to give up more time to reading other books like Below. I feel I could recommend this book to almost anyone.
Chris Green
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I first saw Below mentioned on r/fantasy thread that was requesting recommendations for a book containing a dungeon crawl. At the time I'd recently read Bakker's White Luck Warrior (view spoiler), and I'd also been playing some roguelike games like Brogue. So I was craving some more subterranean hijinks, and Gaiteri definitely hit the mark with Below.

Gaiteri makes mention of the fact that roguelike games (and the
Gene Waxman
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I stumbled upon this Kindle book from the authors own recommendation as I was looking for a Dungeon Crawl story... I took his recommendation and read this book (actually I only listen to books because of an eye twitch so I decrypted the book and used Text To Speech with a Welsh accent speech engine - and it came out superb as a narrator and much more satisfying then Alexa's voice).

The story develops around the main character, Brenish, and the love of his life, Cirawyn, and his dreams of a family
Rob
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gaiteri set out to write an engaging book that reads like a traditional dungeon crawler videogame, but ultimately did much more than that. The book accomplishes several novel things in its packed 350 pages. World building is a key component of fantasy writing. Unfortunately, this often leads to tired or pro forma exposition in the first third of books. Gaiteri threads this needle flawlessly, drawing the reader into a world that is both familiar to anyone who's read fantasy or played fantasy ...more
Ben
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really wasn't sure what to expect when I picked this up. I was intrigued by the idea of a novel based around dungeon exploration games on the computer (having played many of those games myself). I expected a shallow, hack-and-slash adventure, but what we get is a rich, complex journey through an underworld.

The characters are well fleshed out and believable, as is the environment. As the book progresses you really get a sense of the claustrophobia from being stuck in a vast and hostile
Dana Larose
Oct 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, fantasy
This was a pretty fun read! It is very much an old school D&D-based book, moreso than a lot of the official D&D books. Instead of being about saving the world from the Ancient Evil Dude, it is about a group of treasure hunters going into a dungeon (well, an abandoned underground empire) to look for treasure. Very small scale compared to a lot of fantasy. In D&D terminology, it's very much a story about low level adventurers (although some of the cast are reluctant adventurers) doing ...more
BriarGrey
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-read
Missing an old-fashioned dungeon crawl but want it to be something different and new? Then Below is the book for you. The characters are fun and the world is unique. Our protagonist is a thief whose plans to make enough money so his love's father doesn't laugh at him outright goes awry when the wrong people get involved. Before you know it, Brenish is forced into an adventuring party to go to the undercity beneath the world. There's magic, and treasure, and fights, and more. While this is a ...more
JD
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic read, this was great. Very cool to see familiar Roguelike mechanics explored in literature form (Writer even mentions Brogue, Nethack, and other RLs in the afterword :-) ), fun characters and banter, coupled with some red-blooded exploration and combat.

I felt the balance between the dungeon crawling and the inter-party drama was pretty good. He found a sweet spot where neither become too overburdening.

If the phrase 'delving into the unknown depths' interests you even slightly,
Scott
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the author notes, there's a lack of dungeon crawl novels in the fantasy genre. Forunately Lee Gaiteri has filled this void with "Below." This has everything I look for in fantasy: worldbuilding, engaging and believable characters, flashing swords and even flashier magic, and a story with many twists and surprises. Only one thing was missing: a sequel.
Eddie
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good

It's not truly a five star book, but five star books are pretty rare and I'm loathe to rate it lower with so many worse books masquerading as five star worthy on Kindle. It's easily one of the best books I've read in a while and it deserves much more attention. Wish it had fewer words pertaining to arches, tho. The author is clearly an archway enthusiast.
Graham
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good adventure romp

I really enjoyed this book, it flowed well and I kept wanting to read it. An enjoyable story with tensions and an unpredictable plot. Sometimes I was left confused as to who was being referenced in a paragraph following actions by 2 people.
sheldon legendre
Great read from start to finish

This is one of those books that draw you in and keep you reading till the end. It’s definitely on my must read list for people who enjoy the genre.
Jesse Deleon
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best for summer 2017!

Thank you Lee Gaiteri for the best treasure hunting adventure for the summer of 2017. I recommend for everyone who loves a quest! A fan.
Eric Babcock
John Rodriguez
Nov 14, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Underlord (Cradle, #6)
  • Fortune's Fool (Eterean Empire #1)
  • Balam, Spring
  • Never Die
  • Jewel of the Endless Erg (Mage Errant #2)
  • Uncrowned (Cradle, #7)
  • Aching God (Iconoclasts, #1)
  • Into the Labyrinth (Mage Errant #1)
  • Orconomics (The Dark Profit Saga, #1)
  • The Sword of Kaigen
  • Ghostwater (Cradle, #5)
  • The Gutter Prayer (The Black Iron Legacy, #1)
  • Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City
  • Skysworn (Cradle, #4)
  • Children of the Nameless
  • Son of a Liche (The Dark Profit Saga, #2)
  • They Mostly Come Out at Night (Yarnsworld, #1)
  • The Lost Temple of Ssis'sythyss (The Dungeoneers #3)
Lee Gaiteri (guy-tare-ee) is a computer programmer from Syracuse, New York, where he lives with his wife and a fluctuating number of cats. His passions include bacon, Lego, caffeine, rooting for a perennially disappointing football team, and ranting with abandon. His chief aspiration is to become a beloved supervillain who would drive the mosquito to extinction and legalize the unrestricted sport ...more