Start by marking “Charlotte Says (Frozen Charlotte, #2)” as Want to Read:
Charlotte Says (Frozen Charlotte, #2)

Charlotte Says

(Frozen Charlotte #2)

The much-anticipated prequel to the bestselling FROZEN CHARLOTTE, a Zoella Book Club title in Autumn 2016.

Following the death of her mother in a terrible fire, Jemima flees to the remote Isle of Skye, to take up a job at a school for girls. There she finds herself tormented by the mystery of what really happened that night.

Then Jemima receives a box of Frozen Charlotte do
Published September 7th 2017 by Stripes Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Charlotte Says, please sign up.

Start your review of Charlotte Says (Frozen Charlotte, #2)
Barbie
Jul 25, 2019 rated it liked it

My thoughts in a nutshell
I had high expectation about Charlotte Says because I loved the first book last year. This one is a prequel. I thought it could have been better than Frozen Charlotte, but I was wrong.
I loved the creepy doll aspect. The Frozen Charlotte dolls are evil and they torture every people around them. This idea is brilliant! I want to see more books about spooky toys!
I liked the main character. She had a great personality, and I was happy because she was not a typical stupid g
Dannii Elle
This is a prequel of the events that occur in Frozen Charlotte and can both be read before, as a prequel, or after, to provide context.

Whilst the original tale featuring the creepy Victorian dolls has a contemporary setting, this transports the reader back to 1910. The converted home of the former story is thriving in its original purpose as Dunvegan School for Girls. Jemima, just seventeen herself, is recruited to aid in the care of the handful of destitute and unwanted girls who board there. F
Tammie
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror-dark
Charlotte Says was an enjoyable read and a solid 4 stars for me. Part of the Red Eye collection, this is a prequel to the book Frozen Charlotte. Set in early 1900s, main character Jemima is hired to work at a girl’s boarding school-employment that she really needs after a fire destroys her home and kills her mother. Working for an evil woman, Miss Grayson, working in a creepy and potentially haunted school-things only get worse when Jemima receives a box containing creepy Frozen Charlotte dolls. ...more
Schizanthus Nerd
Trigger warning for horrific fictional (but in context with the story) animal cruelty, physical abuse and super creepy dolls.

Suspend all disbelief and take a ride back to the early 1900's where we meet Jemima, a 17 year old girl who takes a position as assistant mistress at Dunvegan School for Girls, an industrial school for girls who haven't committed crimes but have nowhere else to go, located on the Isle of Skye. Jemima herself is desperately trying to escape her tragic past at Whiteladies. S
Kimberly

CHARLOTTE SAYS, by Alex Bell, is the Prequel to her novel FROZEN CHARLOTTE--both of which are part of the Red Eye Series. You do not have to read both of these novels in order to enjoy them singularly, as each completely stands on its own merits.

Ironically, my only complaint with FROZEN CHARLOTTE was that I would have liked to have learned more about how the dolls came to be. In CHARLOTTE SAYS, we uncover every last detail of their origin, which was--to my delight--much more horrible th
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
3.5 Stars
This prequel was not quite as good as the original story, yet it was still an enjoyable read. I particularly liked the historical boarding school setting. Unfortunately, the characters were flat and the story lacked the creepy doll feelings that I got from the original book.
Mel
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not as good as the first book at all, but still quite good!!
Kath Lau
Actual Rating : 4.5 out of 5

Charlotte Says is the prequel to Frozen Charlotte. I read this book right away after finishing Frozen Charlotte.

Set in the year 1910, seventeen-year old Jemima has decided to start a new life after the death of her mother and step-father by taking up a job as an assistant mistress at Dunvegan School for Girls located in a remote place called Isle of Skye. A surprise package with her name on it arrives and it seems like there's no way she can escape her past.

We have a
Michelle Harrison
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's no secret I'm a fan of Alex Bell's, having recently read The Haunting and Frozen Charlotte, so I was thrilled to receive a proof copy of the prequel, Charlotte Says. I was interested to see how the author would handle a novel with a historical setting as her others are contemporary (albeit with their stories' roots in the past) but I found the departure to historical fiction suits her very well. The writing was excellent and evoked the era perfectly.

As always the book's setting and atmosphe
Veronika
1000% lived up to Frozen Charlotte. Super-creepy and hella disturbing - definitely gave me the chills.
Alison
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Those creepy little dolls are back and they've got some new games they want to play.

I'm always on the lookout for a creepy horror story but despite someone recommending Frozen Charlotte to me ages ago it was only after I was approved for an ARC of Charlotte Says that I finally got around to reading it and I'm so sorry I didn't pick it up sooner. That book is seriously creepy and I literally couldn't put it down.

Needless to say as soon as I finished it I couldn't resist getting stuck in to preque
Jim
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
i am not entirely sure this needed to be a separate book... the stars are almost exclusively for the creepy dolls concept (hard to go wrong with that!), but the writing and narrative structure was rather poorly handled... as a prequel or companion piece or standalone book i just didn't get enough out of this one... i know one of the publishing/writing trends is multi-book storytelling (MBS), one i will say i am mostly against because i think it disrespects the reader and often comes across as me ...more
J.D.
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Summary:

Back in 1910, a group of possessed Frozen Charlotte dolls arrives at Dunvegan school for girls shortly after the arrival of the new assistant mistress, Jemima.
The girls begin to misbehave, quick to blame the Frozen Charlottes when their minor tricks become life threatening. While Jemima is determined to protect the girls, it becomes harder and harder as dark memories from her past begin to resurface.
Are the dolls really to blame, or is Jemima being to lose her mind?

Personal Opinion:

Whil
Joey Susan
This book was amazing, I loved this one much more than the Frozen Charlotte one, even though I really enjoyed that one.

This was was eerie and not in anyway predictable, it gave me chills, it made me jump out my skin. (I was stuck in an intense scene and my brother opened the front door I jumped so much) The plot of this one was so detailed and had so much depth to it, I seriously enjoyed this one.

It follows Jemima a young woman starting out working at a girls industrialist school, she’s haunte
Kelly
Charlotte Says is the prequel novel to the fantastically creepy Frozen Charlotte. I thoroughly enjoyed the first book and had very high hopes for this one, luckily the book managed to meet them!

Although not quite as scary as Frozen Charlotte, Charlotte Says still absolutely delivers on everything I was hoping for. There is plenty more action from the creepy little dolls, a spooky old school house, little girls who are almost as creepy as the dolls, death, murder and so much more.

The book flipped
Bernadette Donnelly
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Creepy dolls, ghost children and needles in eyeballs, what else would you want from a horror novel?

I read the first book Frozen Charlotte earlier this year and I was left dying for a prequel. I needed to know more about these creepy dolls. Did I get what I wanted? Yes and no.

I got my prequel and it was just as chilling as the first book, but at the same time it was just a more detailed writing of events that were just mentioned in passing in the first book. I enjoyed that but I would have like
Lauren
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, thriller
Not as good as the first one but still horrifying...
Jo Ring
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very very creepy! But very good too!
Not to be read at bedtime.
Shall we play a game ... ?
Sara
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Do you like your novels with creepy little dolls and atmospheric settings? Then this is your story.

Charlotte Says is a prequel to the popular Frozen Charlotte novel from 2015. Not having read the previous instalment, I went into this knowing nothing about the storyline or characters, and I can honestly say I don't think it made any difference. This could easily be read as a standalone story.

A historical novel, this is set in 1901,
Sara Morley
** This was given to me by Netgalley to review and these are my honest opinions **

Release Date: 7th September 2017

So this is the second book in the Frozen Charlotte series and it shows us what happened in the children’s school before Sophie finds them plastered in the walls from the first book. Jemima had a horrible past and went to the school as a last resort, Miss Grayson (The head of the school that you read about in the first book) is not very nice and try’s to make Jemima uncomfortable as p
Manon the Malicious
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was provided an ARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Charlotte Says is a horror story. It’s the prequel of Frozen Charlotte which I own the paperback of, but haven’t read yet.

It tells the story of Jemima, 17, who moves into a school on the Isle of Skye to be an assistant teacher after her house burnt, killing her mother and stepfather.
It’s set in 1910.

I really enjoyed this story and wouldn’t have put it down if it weren’t for the fact that it scared the fuck out of me…
I usually d
Hannah
Oct 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's been so long since I read 'Frozen Charlotte' that the only thing I could remember going into this was that there are really creepy dolls. I'd forgotten how creepy though. I read this entire book in pretty much one evening, and I struggled to go to sleep. The atmosphere is just so chilling, and dolls have always freaked me out anyway, so I could not stop looking over my shoulder. A perfect read for this time of year. ...more
Anshu Nerkar
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Super creepy.
Hollybooks
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a wonderfully creepy novel, and had a brilliant storyline. The plot twist was great but towards the end I started to dislike the main character Jemima, and the ending was definitely not as scary as I wanted it to be. Overall this was a great book that I didn't want to put down, the characterisation and ending just let it down. ...more
Megan  (thebookishtwins)
I received this free from the publishers via NetGalley

Jemima flees to the remote island of Skye to take up a job is an all-girls boarding school. Jemima is fleeing her mother’s death and her past that went up in flames. While at the boarding school, desperate to flee her past, she receives a box of Frozen Charlotte dolls from a mystery sender. These dolls help her to remember what happened on that fateful night – a seance, violence, and a fire that destroyed her home and her mother. When a serie
Zaide
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
Charlotte Says was a suitably creepy prequel to Frozen Charlotte. We get to see a little more of the origins of the dolls and how they ended up at the school – as well as the horrors that followed their arrival.

I liked Jemima a lot more as a main character than I liked Sophie from Frozen Charlotte. She was feisty and strong. She has her secrets and a past that she’s struggling to remember.
The story flicks to the past on occasion where we see a glimpse of the séance’s that her mother used to per
Hannah (Ivyclad Ideas)
Charlotte Says is the prequel to Frozen Charlotte . Set in 1910 at Dunvegan School for Girls, it follows Jemima Black, a seventeen year old who lost her mother and stepfather in a house fire she can't quite remember. It answers several important questions, such as why the Frozen Charlotte dolls are evil, how they ended up on the Isle of Skye, and why they ended up LITERALLY CEMENTED INTO THE WALLS OF THE BASEMENT.

There's something addictive about this book. I found it fairly mediocre at the
Lipsy
Sep 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Read the full review @ https://lipsyy.worpress.com

Charlotte Says was a highly-anticipated read for me because I loved Frozen Charlotte, which was my introduction to the Red Eye series of YA Horror books. This one is a prequel to the first book. It’s basically the origin story for the events that occur in Frozen Charlotte, so you definitely don’t have to have read that one to enjoy this.

***

I’m not sure how much I liked this book. It had a lot more depth to it than its predecessor, but it was also
Shifty Reads
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Suad Shamma
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, own
This was definitely a good prequel to Frozen Charlotte. It takes place in the same house/school and features the same creepy and haunted dolls - except there's a frozen Charlie as well (I can't remember if this Charlie doll made an appearance in the first book).

As much as I enjoyed it though, it didn't spook me out the way Frozen Charlotte did. I'm not sure if it was because I already kind of knew what to expect of the dolls, or I already knew how it was going to end given that they make an app
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Lying About Last Summer
  • Girlhood
  • Your Turn to Die
  • See How They Lie
  • Good Girl, Bad Blood (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #2)
  • Sister, Missing (Girl, Missing, #2)
  • Ketchup Clouds
  • Silence is Goldfish
  • This Lie Will Kill You
  • Five Little Liars
Alex Bell was born in 1986. She always wanted to be a writer but had several different back-up plans to ensure she didn’t end up in the poor house first. For some years these ranged from dolphin trainer to animal shelter vet but then, at fifteen, she had an epiphany involving John and Robert Kennedy and decided to become a lawyer instead.

To that end she eagerly started a Law Degree only to find it

Frozen Charlotte (2 books)
  • Frozen Charlotte (Frozen Charlotte, #1)