Start by marking “Mistral's Daughter” as Want to Read:
Mistral's Daughter

Mistral's Daughter

They were three generations of magnificent  red-haired beauties born to scandal, bred to success,  bound to a single extraordinary man--Julien Mistral,  the painter, the genius, the lover whose passions  had seared them all. Maggy--Flamboyant mistress of  Mistral's youth, the toast of Paris in the '20s.  Her luminous flesh was immortalized in the  paintings that made Mistr ...more
Published August 1st 1984 by Bantam (first published 1982)

Start your review of Mistral's Daughter
Margitte
Who can forget this book? Many centuries ago, I loved this book in a maddening, insanely, obsessive way. lolol. Won't rate or review it until I reread it. I doubt if that will happen though. I'm grown-up now. Found myself in the meantime. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, sort of. :-)
Maria
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
This novel sweeps fifty years of art and fashion and women.

The story starts with Magali, born a bastard because her father died of smallpox before he could marry her mother. At seventeen she ran away to become a model, became wildly successful thanks to Paula Deslandes, and fell ruthlessly in love with Mistral. But Kate Browning showed up on the scene and Maggy left. She had a daughter with a rich American (married), waited for him to get divorced, but he died before that was possible, and Théod
F. O.
Sep 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
Ahhh, so enjoyable. Sure, it's shallow and formulaic and melodramatic, but Judith Krantz can sure string a pretty sentence together, packing in TONS of fancy details along the way. And it's so much fun to read about people that are impossibly good at what they do. (For example, Maggy the model is in her seventies but she looks SEVENTEEN. Haha!) The sex scenes are kind of tame, compared to Princess Daisy, anyway. I wish they'd make a movie again out of this book, with Rachel Hurd-Wood as Fauve.
Tanya C.
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I know, I know. But I loved this book. Loved it so much I've read it probably once every two years for the last 20 or so years. Seriously. I don't know if it's that I love the three generations of ginger women who inhabit this book, or because of the glamour of the settings and the people, or because she is actually a wonderful writer who paints lovely, and detailed pictures with her words, regardless of the fact that it's a glorified romance novel. It's a family saga, not just a love story.

I'v
Sally
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Classic beach read, decadent escapist fun and I loved it.
 Martin
Dec 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Could have been so much more. Full review:

Gina
Jul 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.99 - 3.25 stars

As a challenge, I decided to read a romance novel, and a friend recommended Mistral's Daughter because of the research, the writing, and the locations. I think of romance novels as lightweight summer reading, but this tome could take you an entire summer to get through. Lordy, Judith Krantz must have been paid by the word!

In my estimation, the book is so well-researched that it borders on historical fiction. However, there were so many times when the author's penchant for lush d
Julia Lednicky
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A slow start but a strong finish

Had a hard time getting through the first big chunk of this tome. Although a central character, Mistral was a bit barbaric and one dimensional. The other early main character, Maggie, should have been interesting, but I couldn't connect with her or her scandalous pairing with Mistral--this plot line, though racy & raunchy enough, was a bit of a snooze. Still, I toiled on, hoping something would break. I was not to be disappointed. The Teddy character (Maggie's dau
Rita
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
this was a worn looking find, probably at a garage sale or a charity shop. I found the characters very stereotypical, the heroines were good, the other women were bad, and the biggest jerk of them all was this man they all revolve around. It is long and sometimes the storyline got lost in the details. I think I may have liked it more if I read it when it came out, 35 years ago, when I was a lot younger.
♥ Marlene♥
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, romance
This was another one of my beloved books back in the days when growing up. (Well never managed to) ;)

Light read but great story. Have read this book at least twice. Later there was a mini series based on this which I loved as well.
Dosha (Bluestocking7) Beard
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading about the artists as people and enjoyed his daughter that " sees as an artist". Well done.
Anna Bendewald
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recently re-read this book that I’d enjoyed so much when I was in high school. I fell in love with the south of France way back the -it’s no wonder I honeymooned in Cap d’ail
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
I remember devouring several of Krantz' books in the early eighties. I was a knitaholic in those days, and any book with hard covers that opened flat on my lap was game, as I could knit and read at the same time. This was, of course, in the days before even the VCR, when Spain's Channel 1 started at 3 PM and went off-air at midnight or so. Channel 2 didn't even come on until 7, and was off by midnight too. So a big heavy 500 page "sweeping saga" was just up my street.

I decided to revisit this b
Hazeanni
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very flavouresque. Very picturesque.

Judith Krantz certaintly done her homework thoroughly to embed and weave the story according to art movements, historical events and fashion trends.

This is a story of 3 generations of Lunel's women whose lives intertwined with Julien Mistral, painter extraordinaire.
- Maggy, The Boss of biggest modelling agency in the world whose virginity deflowered by Mistral.
- Teddy, Mistral's one and only love. Primero Uno model of her time.
- Fauve, the daughter of Teddy
Elisabeth
I first read this when I was 15 and it was a firm favourite in my teens and 30 years later it totally holds up. This was a fantastic read down memory lane and a realisation that nowadays there aren't these family sagas over 50 years that were so prevalent in the 1980's.

This starts in Paris in the 1920's, covers the prewar and wartime in occupied France, moves to the fashion and modelling scene of the 1950's and ends in the 1970's just before the rise of the supermodel. It deals with the art worl
Ary Chest
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The best Krantz novel I read so far!

It moved through worlds, from France, to New York, back to France, back to New York, and back to France again! It was hard to put down, yet I had to, so I wouldn't finish the story too fast.

Complicated, yet fun like a rollercoaster ride!

The beginning was a beauty. I loved the art world of the early 20's. I could feel easiness of the time period; the carefree lifestyle of leisure and pleasure.

Everyone was sleeping with everyone, yet it was not cheating becau
Anne
Mar 25, 2020 added it
Judith Krantz is trash, but she is MY trash. A fan of Scruples, I picked this up in search of something similarly acerbic, light, and soothingly superficial in order to take my mind of the pandemic. Mistral's Daughter fit that bill to a certain extent, but I found it a bit more of slog than zippy, punchy Scruples. I think this has something to do with Krantz's effort to infuse the narrative with emotional seriousness, which just ended up being schmaltz. I most enjoyed the book when Krantz was in ...more
Quirkyreader
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well it took me over thirty years to get to this one, but it was well worth the wait.

This story draws you into the Paris art scene of the early 20th century, the financial crash of the 1930's, the excitement of the post World War Two years, and the beginning of the era of the supermodel.

It is also a family saga that follows three women and how their lives turned out. Some parts of the family story play with your heart strings.

Eventhough this story was written in the 1980's it doesn't feel date
Claire
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
I remembered the mini-series from my childhood so I purchased this at a library book sale. The story is actually quite interesting, but the characterizations are abysmal. Still, it's some good 80s camp if you're feeling nostalgic.
Carol Hinton
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book when it first came out. It is my favorite Judith Krantz book. I remember picking up this book and reading it straight through. It was a great story with wonderful characterization.
Rita
Nov 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Loved this book when I read it, but that was a lifetime ago; I don't think it would have the same impact now...the world was a very different place...
Karis North
Dec 26, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 - classic 80s novel, great escapist literature, light read, lovely Provençal and Parisian settings. Picked it up on a whim and read it straight through.
Sanja Blomberg
Jun 06, 2018 rated it liked it
It was a good book for an easier reading about people what live out of the box.
Marilyn Sue Michel
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A good old-fashioned novel, with a romantic ending. Krantz is now 90 years old, and has a lovely career to enjoy. The book is long but if you like long reads, it is a good one.
Digby
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mediocre
Cardboard characters. Dated.
Moronke
May 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Mistral's Daughter is about art and high fashion modelling. It's quite an interesting story but too much focus and exposure on sexual immorality.
Pamela Lake
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book that I have thoroughly enjoyed and reread several time since my twenties. Great character development...strong smart women...manly men...a realistic setting and story line.
Joni
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Read this years and years ago but just no marking it "read" on Goodreads.
Marsha Valance
A story of love, fame, and destiny centers on larger-than-life painter Julien Mistral and the magnificent Lunel women--Maggy, Teddy, and Fauve--fatally and forever bound to him.
Amanda
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an epic novel spanning three generations. Krantz uses this story (parallels to Vlaminck, Derain and Matisse and Picasso) to span Impressionism and the Fauves. She moves through world wars and and how people survived and tells these tales of perseverance through a three generation love story. It is a masterful historical romance.
There was a mini series with Stacy Keach and Stephanie Powers which was not too bad, but I saw it in the late 80's so I am quite sure it won't hold up to the pass
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Lace
  • Deceptions
  • Hollywood Wives (Hollywood Series, #1)
  • Lucky (Lucky Santangelo, #2)
  • Riders (Rutshire Chronicles, #1)
  • Queenie
  • Chances (Lucky Santangelo, #1)
  • To Be the Best  (Emma Harte Saga #3)
  • A Woman of Substance (Emma Harte Saga #1)
  • Rock Star
  • Hold the Dream (Emma Harte Saga #2)
  • The Other Side of Midnight (Midnight #1)
  • Windmills of the Gods
  • The Lilac Bus
  • London Transports
  • First Among Equals
  • Message from Nam
  • The Carpetbaggers
Judith Krantz was an American author of blockbuster romance novels including her first novel Scruples followed by Princess Daisy. Krantz's books have been translated into 52 languages and sold more than 85 million copies worldwide. Seven have been adapted as TV miniseries, with her late husband, Steve Krantz.

News & Interviews

“Me pregunto cómo sería el mundo si todos viviéramos realmente como si no hubiera mañana.” 1 likes
“Physical compatibility is a question of skin first and foremost. If the contact of one skin on another isn’t immediately pleasing nothing else can possibly matter, but if it is, all other things may follow.” 1 likes