Start by marking “Mistral's Daughter” as Want to Read:
Mistral's Daughter

Mistral's Daughter

They were three generations of magnificent  red-haired beauties born to scandal, bred to success,  bound to a single extraordinary man--Julien Mistral,  the painter, the genius, the lover whose passions  had seared them all. Maggy--Flamboyant mistress of  Mistral's youth, the toast of Paris in the '20s.  Her luminous flesh was immortalized in the  paintings that made Mistr ...more
Published August 1st 1984 by Bantam (first published 1982)

Margitte
Who can forget this book? Many centuries ago, I loved this book in a maddening, insanely, obsessive way. lolol. Won't rate or review it until I reread it. I doubt if that will happen though. I'm grown-up now. Found myself in the meantime. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, sort of. :-)
Marianna
Molto carino, con una storia lineare e interessante, ambientazioni degne di nota e argomento intrigante - anche se alcuni personaggi sembrano fatti con lo stampino, ma in compenso la caratterizzazione degli altri è encomiabile (penso a Nadine e Kate, ma anche Avigdor è un personaggio che fa la sua figura). Però, una cosa: va bene qualche coincidenza, ma non è umanamente possibile che tre generazioni su tre partoriscano donne bellissime, intelligenti, focose, badass, tutte coi capelli rossi e col ...more
Ioanna Xristodoyloy
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
αντιφατικα τα συναισθηματα μου!ηταν ενα καταπληκτικο βιβλιο που το τσακισε η ακατασχετη φλυαρια της συγγραφεως.μου αρεσε ναι μεν πολυ αλλα με κουυρασε και πολυ...
Φλιαρουσε για ανθρωπους και καταστασεις που ουτε πουθενα εξηπηρετουσαν την πλοκη ουτε ειχαν ενα καπιο υποβαθρο για να γνωρησουμε μεσα απο αυτη τους ηρωες μας...υπηρχαν σημεια που εκανε κοιλια και καπου εκει αρχισε να φλιαρει κανωντας με να αναθεματιζω την ωρα και τη στιγμη που το πιασα στα χερια μου και με εκοψε στο καλυτερο σημειο. 3,5
Maria
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
This novel sweeps fifty years of art and fashion and women.

The story starts with Magali, born a bastard because her father died of smallpox before he could marry her mother. At seventeen she ran away to become a model, became wildly successful thanks to Paula Deslandes, and fell ruthlessly in love with Mistral. But Kate Browning showed up on the scene and Maggy left. She had a daughter with a rich American (married), waited for him to get divorced, but he died before that was possible, and Théod
Miko O.
Sep 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
Ahhh, so enjoyable. Sure, it's shallow and formulaic and melodramatic, but Judith Krantz can sure string a pretty sentence together, packing in TONS of fancy details along the way. And it's so much fun to read about people that are impossibly good at what they do. (For example, Maggy the model is in her seventies but she looks SEVENTEEN. Haha!) The sex scenes are kind of tame, compared to Princess Daisy, anyway. I wish they'd make a movie again out of this book, with Rachel Hurd-Wood as Fauve.
Floripiquita
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lo leí con 17 años y me pareció el culebron máximo. Hasta hicieron una miniserie debido al éxito que tuvo.

Aviso: No sé qué pensaría ahora sí lo volviera a leer.
Tanya C.
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I know, I know. But I loved this book. Loved it so much I've read it probably once every two years for the last 20 or so years. Seriously. I don't know if it's that I love the three generations of ginger women who inhabit this book, or because of the glamour of the settings and the people, or because she is actually a wonderful writer who paints lovely, and detailed pictures with her words, regardless of the fact that it's a glorified romance novel. It's a family saga, not just a love story.

I'v
Sally
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Classic beach read, decadent escapist fun and I loved it.
 Martin
Dec 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Could have been so much more. Full review:

Bi
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: usati, ebook
Ho appena finito di leggere questo libro e devo dire che sono un po' stordita perché è quasi il contrario di ciò che mi aspettavo. Ecco perché...

1) Ho letto questo libro perché mi era stato consigliato per la descrizione che fa di Parigi... ma devo dire che Parigi è quasi una parentesi! Soltanto l'inizio della storia si svolge a Parigi, negli anni '20, nel bel mezzo delle avanguardie artistiche: l'atmosfera che si doveva respirare a Parigi è ben descritta... quindi se non siete interessati all'a
Julia Lednicky
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A slow start but a strong finish

Had a hard time getting through the first big chunk of this tome. Although a central character, Mistral was a bit barbaric and one dimensional. The other early main character, Maggie, should have been interesting, but I couldn't connect with her or her scandalous pairing with Mistral--this plot line, though racy & raunchy enough, was a bit of a snooze. Still, I toiled on, hoping something would break. I was not to be disappointed. The Teddy character (Maggie's
♥ Marlene♥
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, romance
This was another one of my beloved books back in the days when growing up. (Well never managed to) ;)

Light read but great story. Have read this book at least twice. Later there was a mini series based on this which I loved as well.
Dosha (Bluestocking7) Beard
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading about the artists as people and enjoyed his daughter that " sees as an artist". Well done.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
I remember devouring several of Krantz' books in the early eighties. I was a knitaholic in those days, and any book with hard covers that opened flat on my lap was game, as I could knit and read at the same time. This was, of course, in the days before even the VCR, when Spain's Channel 1 started at 3 PM and went off-air at midnight or so. Channel 2 didn't even come on until 7, and was off by midnight too. So a big heavy 500 page "sweeping saga" was just up my street.

I decided to revisit this b
Elisabeth
I first read this when I was 15 and it was a firm favourite in my teens and 30 years later it totally holds up. This was a fantastic read down memory lane and a realisation that nowadays there aren't these family sagas over 50 years that were so prevalent in the 1980's.

This starts in Paris in the 1920's, covers the prewar and wartime in occupied France, moves to the fashion and modelling scene of the 1950's and ends in the 1970's just before the rise of the supermodel. It deals with the art worl
Ary Chest
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The best Krantz novel I read so far!

It moved through worlds, from France, to New York, back to France, back to New York, and back to France again! It was hard to put down, yet I had to, so I wouldn't finish the story too fast.

Complicated, yet fun like a rollercoaster ride!

The beginning was a beauty. I loved the art world of the early 20's. I could feel easiness of the time period; the carefree lifestyle of leisure and pleasure.

Everyone was sleeping with everyone, yet it was not cheating becau
Tittirossa
uno dei primi JK che abbia letto (si, vabbè, ognuno ha i propri scheletri nell'armadio, il junk food della mente per quando non si ha voglia di altro. e comunque io a-do-ra-vo JK!)

Schema solito: 3 donne, 1 cattivo, 3 amori, 1 passione. Alla fine l'amore trionfa sempre. O quasi. A volte non proprio come te lo aspetti.
Però i cattivi pagano sempre, e spesso la condanna è elargita con perfidia.

(edit: letto nel 1990, recensione del 2018: chissà dove li ho messi tutti i miei JK? li rileggerei volenti
Quirkyreader
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well it took me over thirty years to get to this one, but it was well worth the wait.

This story draws you into the Paris art scene of the early 20th century, the financial crash of the 1930's, the excitement of the post World War Two years, and the beginning of the era of the supermodel.

It is also a family saga that follows three women and how their lives turned out. Some parts of the family story play with your heart strings.

Eventhough this story was written in the 1980's it doesn't feel date
Kim Flodin
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the trashiest, silliest, most vapid, most DELICIOUS book. I remember reading it in the early 1980s when it first came out and the characters stuck with me. For some reason, it floated back in my mind and I bought it on Kindle and IMMERSED myself in it. Ah, it's like the most satisfying junk meal EVER! Three generations of red-headed beauties...oh,whatever, who cares! If you have a book that just sticks with you in the most elementally entertaining ways possible, do yourself a favor and r ...more
Rita
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
this was a worn looking find, probably at a garage sale or a charity shop. I found the characters very stereotypical, the heroines were good, the other women were bad, and the biggest jerk of them all was this man they all revolve around. It is long and sometimes the storyline got lost in the details. I think I may have liked it more if I read it when it came out, 35 years ago, when I was a lot younger.
Carol Hinton
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book when it first came out. It is my favorite Judith Krantz book. I remember picking up this book and reading it straight through. It was a great story with wonderful characterization.
Claire
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
I remembered the mini-series from my childhood so I purchased this at a library book sale. The story is actually quite interesting, but the characterizations are abysmal. Still, it's some good 80s camp if you're feeling nostalgic.
Shirley
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book more than I thought I would, due to the subject matter. But, I found the author's writing style and detail made the book interesting and set apart of others of the genre.
Marilyn Michel
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A good old-fashioned novel, with a romantic ending. Krantz is now 90 years old, and has a lovely career to enjoy. The book is long but if you like long reads, it is a good one.
Sanja Blomberg
Jun 06, 2018 rated it liked it
It was a good book for an easier reading about people what live out of the box.
Karis North
Dec 26, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 - classic 80s novel, great escapist literature, light read, lovely Provençal and Parisian settings. Picked it up on a whim and read it straight through.
Rita
Nov 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Loved this book when I read it, but that was a lifetime ago; I don't think it would have the same impact now...the world was a very different place...
Amanda
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an epic novel spanning three generations. Krantz uses this story (parallels to Vlaminck, Derain and Matisse and Picasso) to span Impressionism and the Fauves. She moves through world wars and and how people survived and tells these tales of perseverance through a three generation love story. It is a masterful historical romance.
There was a mini series with Stacy Keach and Stephanie Powers which was not too bad, but I saw it in the late 80's so I am quite sure it won't hold up to the pass
Virginia Markhart
Nov 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very interesting book. Very long book. I read a paperback versionwith 564 pages. At first I was confused about who was who. You have a grandmother who had a long ago affair, then her daughter from another affair has an affair with the same man. The daughter has a daughter with the man who the grandmother previously had an affair with!!! WHAT. So the story begins with the death of the main man who is a world famous artist. Not a particularly nice man, but very talented. His one true love was the ...more
Emily
Feb 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Judith Krantz is a Francophile. Many parts of this book read like an extended love letter to the country, the language and the lifestyle. Fortunately, Krantz has also populated her book with interesting, dynamic characters whose lives allow Krantz to depict at length Paris and the Provençal countryside. Beginning in Paris in the 1920’s and continuing until 1975 with stops in 1950s New York, World War II era Félice, and Rome in 1975, Krantz’ generational saga is lush with descriptiveness, quirky ...more
  • Queenie
  • Lace
  • Deceptions
  • Once Is Not Enough
  • Lucky (Lucky Santangelo, #2)
  • To Be the Best  (Emma Harte Saga #3)
  • Sins of the Fathers
  • The Lonely Lady
  • The Mallen Trilogy: Three Magnificent Novels in One Volume
  • Random Winds
  • Polo (Rutshire Chronicles #3)
  • Jacqueline Susann's Shadow Of The Dolls
Judith Krantz (born Judith Tarcher), is an American novelist who writes in the romance genre. Her works include Princess Daisy and Till We Meet Again.
“Me pregunto cómo sería el mundo si todos viviéramos realmente como si no hubiera mañana.” 1 likes
“The Talmud says ‘When a man faces his Maker, he will have to account for those pleasures of life he failed to experience.’ That’s one part of the Talmud I know and the one part I agree with entirely.” 0 likes