Start by marking “A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)

A Merciful Secret

(Mercy Kilpatrick #3)

In this Wall Street Journal bestseller, a pair of ritual murders could expose Mercy Kilpatrick to something terrifying: her own past…

Raised off the grid by survivalists, Mercy Kilpatrick believed in no greater safeguard than the backwoods of Oregon. Unforgiven by her father for abandoning the fold for the FBI, Mercy still holds to her past convictions. They’re in her blood
Published January 16th 2018 by Montlake Romance

To ask other readers questions about A Merciful Secret, please sign up.
Jon I would recommend reading them in order. Each book is good on it's own, but the author refers to events from the other books often enough to spoil the…moreI would recommend reading them in order. Each book is good on it's own, but the author refers to events from the other books often enough to spoil the other books if you haven't read them. It also will help you understand many of the personal relationships in the book that aren't given as much introduction in this book as they would be if the reader is not expected to have read the first books. You wouldn't be lost though. (less)

Start your review of A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)
Liz
May 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
I’m becoming a bit of a Goldilocks with audiobooks. And the formula that’s just right for me involves a steady pace and a straight forward plot. This series fits the bill, although this book was not as strong as the prior two. While I really enjoy Mercy and Truman and it warms my heart to see their developing relationship, I felt there was too much of their looking longingly at each other. It detracted from the story and made me wonder if I was listening to a romance novel or a mystery.

The plot
Maureen Carden
You can take the girl out of the family circle but you can’t take the prepper out of the girl. Mercy Kilpartrick is an FBI agent who has a hidden cabin in the woods and is a secret prepper. On the way back from a late night visit to her cabin she almost runs over a child desperately seeking help for her dying grandmother.
Morrigan Sabin’s grandmother, Olivia, isn’t just dying, she has been slashed to death and Morrigan has been alone with her. Her mother, Salome, left before the crime and Morriga
Jonetta
FBI Agent Mercy Kilpatrick is on her way to her hideaway cabin outside of Eagle’s Nest, Oregon when a little girl emerges from the forest pleading for help. She takes her to a cabin deep into the woods and Mercy discovers the girl’s grandmother, Olivia, dying from knife woods. Upon further investigation, Mercy learns that a city judge was killed in a similar manner. She and other agents work to find out how these two people could be connected, living over 100 miles away from each other and who w ...more
Linda Strong

FBI Agent Mercy Kilpatrick is not only a dedicated agent, she is also a 'prepper' ... a person who believes a catastrophic disaster or emergency is likely to occur in the future and makes active preparations for it, typically by stockpiling food, ammunition, and other supplies. Raised off the grid by her survivalist parents, this way of living is something very normal for her.

She has a cabin deep in the woods where she goes every chance she gets. It's in these woods where a young girl hails her
Kylie H
Nov 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 3rd book in the Mercy Kilpatrick series and it is still going well.
Mercy finds a murder too close for comfort when she follows a frightened young girl through the woods. She finds a cabin quite close to her 'secret bolt hole' being mentally groomed by her family all her life to be a 'prepper'.
Mercy finds herself involved in a case that appears to be based on witch craft. It then becomes a case of separating reality from rumor and hearsay.
Not a standalone book, it really requires the
Tulay
Jan 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story.

Author created characters we care great deal what happens to them and that makes us read this series. Knifed and killed two completely different people. Mercy and her boyfriend police chief Truman, finds many family secrets.
Anita
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This is a really, really great mystery. It has a lot of layers and a lot of secrets to uncover to get to the baddie. Just a great old school mystery. Sorry you romance fans, the romance that is here is the cozy variety, but the mystery is off the charts good.

Mercy is flagged down in the middle of the night, near her hidden, prepper, mountain cabin, by a young girl whose grandmo
Sandra Hoover
This is a fabulous series! And A Merciful Secret is my favorite thus far! It's a great blend of suspense & romance with neither overwhelming the other. I'm loving the audiobooks as the narration adds a deeper dimension to the story and can't wait to continue the series. Fans of mystery, suspense, and/or thrillers will love this book! Highly Recommended!
4.5 Stars
MarilynW
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the third book in the series about Mercy Kilpatrick, a FBI agent, raised by a family of survivalists. I've enjoyed all three Mercy books and look forward to future books about Mercy and Truman. Mercy is involved in the search for the murderer of two very different types of people, while also continuing her prepper lifestyle that must allow for her job as a FBI agent. With the help of her Police Chief boyfriend and two character from books in other series, Mercy must to unravel the myster ...more
"Avonna
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A MERCIFUL SECRET (Mercy Kilpatrick #3) by Kendra Elliot returns you to Mercy Kilpatrick’s world of rural central Oregon. This series gives you intriguing mystery/suspense plots and a view into the world of preppers, survivalists and anti-government sovereign citizens.

FBI Special Agent Mercy Kilpatrick is surprised at night on a rural road close to her hidden cabin by a young girl who flags her down from the side of the road. Mercy is led through the woods to a cabin where the girl’s grandmother
Jess☺️
A Merciful Secret by Kendra Elliot is book 3 in the Mercy Kilpatrick and Truman Daly series and so far I've said they've all been exciting but this one has just hopped up a notch (and a 🌟).
It's got murder, witches, more murder, fire, a little more murder and a hole bunch of cat and mouse guessing games going.
The character's grow with each book so you begin to understand and look forward to reading them.
The storyline's get more gripping, intense and nerve tingling with each book which makes them
♥Rachel♥
I'm addicted to this series! I can't wait to start the next book! Review, maybe. ...more
CD {Boulder Blvd}
I really loved this series when it first came out in 2017; giving A Merciful Death (book #1) 4 stars and A Merciful Truth (book #2) 5 stars. I'm also a big fan of Kendra Elliott and I've enjoyed a number of her books.

With that said, this book just didn't work for me as well as the first two in the series. I was actually hugely disappointed. Most of the disappointment is due to personal preferences. I don't like 1st POV and I don't like hopping POVs. These personal preferences definitely impacted
☕️Kimberly
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am really enjoying this series from the rural setting, to tidbits about preppers included in these suspenseful and deadly cases. As Mercy is returning from her cabin in the wood, a young girl jumps out in front of her car. She lives in a remote wood cabin with her grandmother and mother. The mother isn't home, but the little girl's grandmother dies as Mercy tries to aid her. The killer in a rage slashed the poor woman with a blade. When a similar murder occurs the FBI steps in.

This was a fanta
CosmicDancer
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love reading these books!

Kendra Elliot is great at creating these scenarios of mystery and intrigue, even if they are relatively simple.

And this was no exception!
Melanie
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars!

A Merciful Secret is even more action-packed and exciting than the first two books in the series with an intriguing case for Mercy and some great development for the characters.

Mercy Kilpatrick was raised in the backwoods of Oregon by a family who believed in being prepared for the end of the world. Now an FBI agent, Mercy still believes in being prepared but hasn't held on to her father's distrust of government agencies. Late one night after leaving her hidden cabin in the woods, Merc
Linda
Once again, FBI Special Agent Mercy Kilpatrick taps into danger when she unexpectedly helps a little girl during the dark hours of night. I can’t let it pass without mentioning that the small community of Eagle’s Nest, Oregon and the surrounding area contain an abundant amount of law-breaking residents. This time around, Mercy along with her lover and local police chief, Truman, have their hands full trying to link the deaths of an elderly ‘witch’ and a judge.

Momentum built with new secondary c
Kara
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
DNF.
Not interested in reading about the H having wanted to screw OW in this story in the past.
It could easily have been any other male character in the series who had a past with Salome, but it ruins Truman for me to read about him lusting over OW, even if it was forever ago.
Robin
May 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FBI Agent Mercy Kilpatrick is driving on a deserted road when a young girl flags her down. Morrigan Sabin says her grandmother has been hurt. When Mercy arrives at the cabin, she sees an elderly woman who has been slashed several times with a knife. Tragically, Mercy cannot save her. When the GBI learns about this case, they take it over. They are currently investigating the death of a Portland judge. He was found with the same identical slashes as this victim. Mercy and Police Chief Truman Daly ...more
Cyndi
This was a tough one for me. I really wish the author hadn’t given Truman a past with one of the side characters. He met the OW years before he ever knew Mercy- he was a teenager when he made out with and almost had sex with the OW. This was so disappointing because he has never seemed like the type of guy to randomly hookup. I really didn’t need to know his POV during that encounter- his lusty thoughts about this gal were not needed. The whole thing was gross and to top it off he never mentione ...more
Kathy Martin
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mercy Kilpatrick is on her way back from checking on her wilderness cabin when she almost runs down a girl. Morrigan is desperately searching for someone to help her grandmother. When Mercy gets to their isolated home, she find the grandmother dying after a brutal knife attack. Being out of cellphone range she takes Morrigan and drives to somewhere she can get reception before going back and waiting for the police. Morrigan's mother Salome is away from home and can't be contacted.

Meanwhile, boy
Jean
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great addition to the series! This is the 3rd book in the Mercy Kilpatrick series but it can also be read as a stand-alone.

Mercy Kilpatrick is an FBI agent trying to repair the damage with her estranged family. Raised within a family of preppers, she has a soul-deep need to always be prepared in case of TEOTWAWKI, the end of the world as we know it. She has a secret cabin where she goes to stock supplies for an emergency. On her drive back home from the cabin, she almost hits a young gi
Luli
You can find this review in English below.

**Esta reseña es de una ARC recibida gratuitamente y sólo refleja mi opinión personal sobre la historia.**

Esta es la tercera entrega de la serie y es necesario leer las anteriores para disfrutar completamente de la historia. Aunque el suspense es independiente en cada una, las relaciones entre los personajes son una continuación de los libros anteriores.

Fantástico suspense, sutil romance y el siempre omnipresente drama familiar, aunque en esta entrega, t
Dawn
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Mercy Kilpatrick book but I'm so hooked. I cannot wait to go back and read the first two books.

A crazy web of secrets and pain and death. This book is both three tragic ending of lives and relationships and the beginnings of new ones.

I received this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Teresa
A Merciful Secret is another excellent installment in the Mercy Kilpatrick series. This series is really starting to heat up for me! You never know which way it will go, and this time around, FBI agent Mercy Kilpatrick must contend with two murders, both victims slashed to death multiple times. On her way home from her cabin in the woods late at night, she encounters a bloodied young girl whose grandmother, Olivia, is one of the victims. Upon further investigation, it seems the girl’s mother, Sa ...more
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Well, better than I anticipated. And better plot wise than the books before. The villain was slightly predictable. I’d excluded that person for that simple fact. But hey, I was wrong which is a good thing. I enjoyed it for the most part. And now I’m really interested in seeing where things go.
Rabid Reader
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The thrilling start to this story sets the stage beautifully for the rest of the exciting, suspenseful tale. When two seemingly unrelated victims are killed in a similar manner, Mercy and Truman find themselves drawn into the hunt for their cruel murderer. With hints of the supernatural, this tension filled story will defiantly keep you guessing. It has lots of breath holding, on the edge of your seat moments, great twists and plenty of action. It is my favourite of the Mercy Kilpatrick books so ...more
Debby*BabyDee
Total fan of Kendra Elliot and finishing up this series is going to be great. This was a really, really good mystery thriller with a bit of romance mixed in. It has its share of secrets, twists and turns and as mentioned quite a bit of mystery that keeps you listening/turning the page to the end.

Mercy is flagged down in the middle of the night by a young girl to a mountain cabin where her grandmother lay dying. The woman eventually dies and Mercy is determined to bring the woman's killer to just
Pamela Shropshire
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is only getting better. I originally was intrigued by the premise - Mercy Kilpatrick, daughter of a family of preppers, leaving home at 18 and eventually becoming an FBI agent. Bet that doesn’t happen much IRL, right? But the crime/mystery portions are surprisingly good, and I’m very much enjoying the growing romance between Mercy and Eagle’s Nest hottie Police Chief Truman Daly.

2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question D 10 9 Jun 14, 2020 06:11AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question C 6 8 Jun 12, 2020 10:08PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question B 7 9 Jun 12, 2020 09:46PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question A 8 10 Jun 12, 2020 09:26PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question M 11 8 May 27, 2020 05:04AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question L 11 8 May 27, 2020 04:40AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question P 18 9 May 27, 2020 04:38AM

• Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
  • The 7th Canon
  • The Body Reader (Detective Jude Fontaine Mysteries, #1)
  • House of Spies (Gabriel Allon, #17)
  • Close to Home (Tracy Crosswhite, #5)
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • Watchers
  • Say You're Sorry (Morgan Dane, #1)
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
  • Walking on Her Grave (Rogue River, #4)
  • In Farleigh Field
  • A Bone to Pick (Widow's Island, #2)
  • Whisper of Bones (Widow's Island, #3)
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
An Amazon #1 selling author, Kendra Elliot has sold over 8 Million books and been on the WSJ best seller list eleven times.

She grew up in the lush Pacific Northwest and still lives there with her family and three cats. She's fascinated with forensics, refuses to eat anything green, and dreams of living every day in flip flops.

*New series!* THE LAST SISTER and THE SILENCE

The BONE SECRETS NOVELS:

Mercy Kilpatrick (6 books)
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick, #1)
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
  • A Merciful Silence (Mercy Kilpatrick, #4)
  • A Merciful Fate (Mercy Kilpatrick, #5)
  • A Merciful Promise (Mercy Kilpatrick, #6)

News & Interviews

“Nothing heals a broken heart like an animal.” 0 likes
“The fact that she physically exists outside my body is one of the miracles of motherhood. How can she run and play in my sight when she is part of me? When I feel every heartbeat, every scraped knee, every moment of her joy? She is my daughter and I will protect her with my dying breath. As my mother did for her.” 0 likes