Start by marking “Go the Fuck to Sleep” as Want to Read:
Go the Fuck to Sleep

Go the Fuck to Sleep

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  82,700 ratings  ·  3,560 reviews

A Reader's Digest "25 Funniest Books of All Time"

"Nothing has driven home a certain truth about my generation, which is approaching the apex of its childbearing years, quite like this."
--The New Yorker

"A parenting zeitgeist"
--Washington Post

"A hilarious take on that age-old problem: getting the beloved child to go to sleep."
--National Public Radio

"A new Bible for

Published September 11th 2014 by Akashic Books (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Go the Fuck to Sleep, please sign up.
Paulette Definitely NOT meant for children. It's written for parental amusement.
Chris It's called that because that's the premise of the book. As for who made it, the author did.

·  82,700 ratings  ·  3,560 reviews

Start your review of Go the Fuck to Sleep
Stephen
NEVER MIND THE VERY CATCHY TITLE...and disregard that it is only 32 pages long and designed to emulate those children’s books we parents read ad nauseum to our kids…THIS IS AN ANTHEM TO PARENTS EVERYWHERE, an honest celebration of that all too familiar experience that we have all been through…and I laughed my mental-cursing, temper-losing, patience-exhausted, anger-rising, sleep-deprived ass off the entire time I was reading it.

In addition to being Hangover funny, it is also surprisingly
Kat Kennedy
I can't express how much I love this book. My son is currently whining because he's supposed to be napping.

Yeah, good fucking luck on that one.

evil

But this book is so awesome because it's true. I think I've thought almost every word in this book toward my son at some point.

Seriously, boy! Mummy needs her GoodReads time so GO THE FUCK TO SLEEP!!!

JV (semi-hiatus)

I firmly believe that I've just peed my pants! Obviously, guffawing relentlessly at this silly bedtime adult book makes me look like I'm mad as a bag of ferrets!

Apparently, this one was written by a doting, lost, devoted, overwhelmed, and the sleep-deprived parent whose frustration was to put his kiddo to a deep, hypnotic slumber! If you've enjoyed Samuel L. Jackson's hilarious antics and outstanding performance in Kingsman: The Secret Service, then you'd probably adore this book! Read by the
Fran
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not one for profanity...but...this book read by Samuel L. Jackson is truly what happens at sleep time! An Adult read!
Riverina Romantics
Jun 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Shelves: on-blog
Oh my gosh this book is fucking hilarious!

I had a discussion only this week with my husband about why the hell people don’t tell you how evil kids are before you have the little fuckers.

The author of this book needs to write a whole series – I already have book titles prepared:
~ Sit the fuck on the toilet
~ Eat your fucking vegetables
~ Stop bitch slapping your brother
~ Stop screaming before mummy turns fucking cray cray.

And the one I currently need:
~ Get that finger out of your fucking nose

And
Mischenko
Hilarious!

As soon as I saw this, I had to read it. I went straight to Amazon and snatched the kindle edition. The story is hilarious and the illustrations are great. A definite conversation piece.

After buying it, I realized I could've watched it on YouTube for free! And better yet, narrated by one of my favorite actors, Samuel L. Jackson.

4****
PorshaJo
If you are looking for a quick laugh (about 5 mins) listen to this book. Samuel Jackson reading this funny adult book. Though, there is a lot of swearing. I heard the audio was great and I had been looking for it. Thanks to Mischenko for pointing out it is available on YouTube:
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

I just had to get this audio when I heard that Samuel L. Jackson was the narrator! I just love him! He has a little intro he does in the beginning talking about his kids and his friends kids that was funny as well.

This is a funny ADULT CHILDREN'S BOOK! This is NOT A BOOK TO READ TO YOUR KIDS! Unless you really want to

The book is a very short audio book as you can imagine but it was only $3 and some change on Amazon and hey, it's Samuel reading! I loved it!

MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading
Mir
Apr 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sucks to be you
Shelves: picture
I guess my parents were lucky -- we pretty much went to sleep without fussing. And if we got up again we usually played quietly without disturbing our parents. And the kids I baby-sat most often went to sleep pretty obligingly, too, probably because I played energetic games with them so they were wiped out. I remember having to convince one very docile girl that it would be okay for her to go to bed early if she wanted to. She could hardly keep her eyes open by 7:20 but thought she had to stay ...more
Adina
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So funny! I would probably appreciate the little gem even better if I had a kid. You can hear this on You Tube narrated by Samuel L. Jackson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb0t9...

Thanks to Alina for the inspiration to read/listen to this.
Catie
Jun 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011, humor
This book so perfectly homes in on the grand canyon sized pit of frustration, weariness, and impotence that every parent carries around inside. It’s that place that is systematically tamped down and compartmentalized to make way for an entirely new kind of person. The kind of person who can dig up the enthusiasm to clap and cheer for your three year old when she shouts “I NEED TO GO POTTY!!” at 2am, even though inside all you can think is, “my god, I am so fucking tired.” The kind of person who ...more
Bradley
Oct 05, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I stumbled across this book on Amazon and thought it looked cute, so I bought it to read for my four-year-old at bedtime. I was looking forward to receiving it, but when I opened up the package, I was horrified to see a sleeping child surrounded by tigers. Children should not sleep in the presence of tigers. Tigers are dangerous! Had I noticed the tigers on the cover from the start, I never would have purchased the book. I thought they were just really big cats from some magical land like Oz or ...more
Mwanamali
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
First of all, that title!
Second of all, Sam L Jackson!

Finally,

So I'm off the fuck to sleep.
Yeah I know I'm at work.
But I don't give a damn. Bitch.

description

Thanks for bringing this to me Adina...
Amanda
Jun 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog
Even though I will vehemently deny it around people who know me, every once in a while I look at all the people who suck in the world and think I owe it to humanity to procreate. Why? Because, and I don't want to undersell this, I really think my children would be awesome. However, there are three primary reasons I have thus far refused to give in to any maternal instinct: 1) pregnancy and childbirth hold no appeal whatsoever as I don't think the whole host/parasite dynamic is that magical, 2) ...more
Sr3yas
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a lot of reviews on how this wonderful little poem reminded people of their own children or children in general.

Do you know what this reminded me of?

Myself.

As a child, I was known in my family for my erratic sleeping patterns. I used to silently roam the halls of my house at somewhere around 3 AM like a good old fashioned spirit. Almost gave heart attacks to many poor souls.

Ah, good times.

Now, about this poem.

Imagine that read by Samuel L Jackson!

It's just so awesome!

The first two
Kemper
Jun 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
So I was checking out Audible.com tonight and they were giving this away for free. And who was reading it? Samuel L. Jackson. I'm sure the text and pictures are hilarious in the print version, but with Mr. Motherfucker himself reading this, I nearly had a rupture from the laughter.

And it’s especially funny to me because I don’t have kids. So I’ll be dreaming about all you parents cursing your children as I’m getting a solid 8 to 9 hours of sleep tonight. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ......
Steph Sinclair

If Snakes on a Plane (view spoiler) and Mother Goose's Nursery Rhymes had a baby it would be this audio book. It was pure genius to have Samuel L. Jackson narrate. I mean, who's inner Samuel L. Jackson doesn't come out when they are sleep deprived, right?

When I'm sleepy, I'm the nastiest person you would ever have the misfortune of meeting. But somehow fate would have it that I'd be cursed blessed with the
Becky
Jun 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First, thank you StumbleUpon, for taking me to this site, and allowing me to experience the audio reading of this book, with accompanying video of the illustrations. It was awesome.

I think if I had read this on my own... 3 stars maybe. It was cute, kinda witty, but nothing spectacular. But I gave this 5 stars. And called it 'awesome'.

Why? Four words: Samuel L. Motherfucking Jackson.

That's right. Samuel L. Motherfucking Jackson. And for all 6 minutes of this audio, I was enthralled, laughing
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
5 Best.Bedtime.Story.Ever! stars

description

I must admit I'm still wondering if I should let my son listen to this little gem or not.

description

I'm sure he'll love it. And laugh about it. And that would just incite him more instead of helping him fall asleep.

description

You simply need to listen to Samuel L. Jackson reading this! He does an amazing job.

Debbie
I ordered this book mostly because of the great title (didn’t we all?). And every page contains a “fuck,” so you get your fill of this useful expletive. The problem is, that’s all there is.

I knew I was getting an adult book disguised as a kid’s picture book, but I thought it would be heftier—a long prose poem, for instance. But no. Glance at it, and you’re done. How did I know I’d get 14 teensy pages with four lines of poetry on each page? Lower my expectations, I tell myself. Yes, it’s funny,
Petra-X
May 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, humour, reviewed
Every parent whose ever lived has, at some point (but mostly regularly, at lots of points) wanted to tell their kid GO THE FUCK TO SLEEP. (And if you say you never wanted to, your child either didn't have vocal cords or you are telling big porkies). This book says it on every page and the beautiful illustrations and to-the-point poetry will elicit much sympathy and humour on the part of any reader. But perhaps not the knowing looks that will pass between the tired, sleep-deprived parents of a ...more
Onaiza Khan
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my God, this is hilarious...
Trish
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bwahahahaha. Definitely written by a parent - a very tired parent who just wanted some peace.

This is a short and simple book with a few pages of rhymes about a father's desperate attempts to get his child to sleep and all the excuses a child can come up with when it's just not tired.

What really made this perfect was the narration of this audio edition by none other than Samuel L. Jackson (as well as the story he told before narrating it, about his daughter and their code phrase when it was her
Melody
Jul 17, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Cute. Marginally clever one-trick pony. The sad part is that as clever and as cute as this is, Mansbach isn't a good enough writer for the concept. It could have been far, far funnier, instead of relying on the constant repetition of "fuck" to carry the weight. I especially liked the page with the tiger, but mostly it was an exercise in regret that this book was not in the hands of someone like Dr. Seuss or even better, Philip Larkin. Two and a half stars, more for concept than execution.
Nikki
Jun 15, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
I heard of Go The Fuck To Sleep -- who hasn't? -- through the internet buzz about it. Actually, possibly through someone writing analytically about the internet buzz about it, which included distribution of illegal PDF copies, and what that means for ebook piracy. That's a pretty interesting phenomenon in itself, because this book sold like crazy.

It's in the style of a children's book, with pictures that might be appealing to a child (bright colours, exotic animals, etc), and short verses -- and
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 please go the f*ck to sleep stars!!
For a hilarious bedtime story for parents everywhere.

This was absolutely brilliant!!!
Thank you Jennifer for the tip and Adina for the link.

I listened to the audio narrated by Samuel L. Jackson and what can I say?! Hilarious but absolutely honest and real. Brilliant! Or, better said, motherf*cking brilliant!

Let's face it. None of us are angels! I doubt there's any parent in this whole wide world who hasn't been there. Even the most loving parents can
Mara
I actually think my stomach muscles will be sore tomorrow from laughing so hard. So, in summation, listening to Samuel L. Jackson read this is an excellent alternative to going to the gym.

For all you Reading Rainbow fans out there, Levar Burton also nails his narration of this same gem of a bedtime story.
Mark
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spoof, comic-work
This is one of those 'God bless you Goodreads ' type books. I can not imagine, having no children of my own, that I would ever have got to see a copy of this tome had it not been for the good offices of others reviewing it here. It was hilarious.

The pictures are beautifully drawn anyway but the rhymes are an absolute scream. Being only an uncle and twice great uncle I do not ever have the horror of children refusing to sleep as I can always hand them back even if i have been the fiend
Megan
Jun 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book, children
Isn't everything better when read by Samuel L. Jackson? Listen for yourself and download the audio version for free here. This is a cute and only slightly threatening childrens story for adults. I love it! =)
Athena Shardbearer
Best book ever!

The flowers doze low in the meadows
and high on the mountains so steep.
My life is a failure, I’m a shitty-ass parent.
Stop fucking with me, please, and sleep.

Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. please add book cover and update info 4 15 Sep 05, 2017 12:34PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Go the Fuck to Sleep by Adam Mansbach 3 47 Feb 20, 2015 04:04AM
Goodreads Librari...: Language in title 4 90 Aug 18, 2011 09:42AM

• All My Friends Are Dead
  • Nobody Likes A Cockblock
  • Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea
  • Sh*t My Dad Says
  • The Book of Bunny Suicides
  • Every Thing on It
  • The Vampire Bunny (Bunnicula and Friends, #1)
  • America (The Book): A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction
  • K is for Knifeball: An Alphabet of Terrible Advice
  • All My Friends Are Still Dead
  • My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One-Night Stands
  • 5 Very Good Reasons to Punch a Dolphin in the Mouth and Other Useful Guides
  • Do You Want To Play With My Balls?
  • Dracula 1
  • Where the Sidewalk Ends
  • How to Tell If Your Cat Is Plotting to Kill You
  • Dad Is Fat
  • The Return of the King Paperback
Adam Mansbach is the author of the #1 New York Times bestseller Go the Fuck to Sleep, which has been translated into 40 languages, and was Time Magazine's 2011 "Thing of the Year." The sequel, "You Have to Fucking Eat," was published in November and is also a New York Times bestseller.

Mansbach's 2013 novel, Rage is Back, was named a Best Book of the Year by NPR and the San Francisco Chronicle and
“I know you're not thirsty. That's bullshit. Stop lying. Lie the fuck down, my darling, and sleep.” 69 likes
“All the kids from daycare are in dreamland.
The froggie has made his last leap.
Hell no you can't go to the bathroom.
You know where you can go?
The f**k to sleep.”