Start by marking “The Glamour Thieves (Blue Unicorn, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Glamour Thieves (Blue Unicorn, #1)

The Glamour Thieves

(Blue Unicorn #1)

JT is an orc on the way up. He’s got his own boutique robotics shop, high-end clientele, and deep-pocketed investors. He’s even mentoring an orc teen who reminds him a bit too much of himself back in the day.

Then Austin shows up, and the elf’s got the same hard body and silver tongue as he did two years ago when they used to be friends and might have been more. He’s also
Published August 28th 2017 by Riptide Publishing (first published August 26th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Glamour Thieves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Glamour Thieves

Start your review of The Glamour Thieves (Blue Unicorn, #1)
K.J. Charles
I enjoyed this hi tech elf/orc m/m heist fantasy sci fi romance with masses of sex and no HEA *enormously*. If you have issues with any of the above, move on.

Written with glee, with a lovely pair of flawed heroes and a keen appreciation of its own absurdity, while *not* being annoyingly tongue in cheek. The adventure romps, the MCs' mutual pining is real and emotional and raw, the sex is hot if you don't mind the associated elf orc weird stuff which...is admittedly *quite* weird at points, the
Teal
**** 4.5 stars ****

What an awesome mashup of cyberpunk science fiction and urban fantasy, featuring AIs and orcs, virtual realities and elves, high-tech weapons systems and necromancers. The world-building is rich and complex; best of all, backstory is gradually revealed rather than info-dumped onto the reader's hapless head. In fact, lots of history -- like the Awakening by which creatures like orcs and elves came to exist in our world -- isn't elaborated on, but will doubtless be r
Kristen Burns
4.5 Stars

Review:
*I received an ecopy of this book via NetGalley. This has not influenced my review.*

This book was fantastic! I saw the title and the cover, and I was interested. I saw the genre was sci-fi/fantasy, and I was still interested. I started reading the blurb and saw the word 'orc,' and I was sold. I didn't even finish reading the blurb before deciding I wanted this. And it did not disappoint.

The writing, the characters, the characters' voices---that was what made it so amazin/>
Line
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Price drop at Riptide and the zon.com for a week: https://www.amazon.com/Glamour-Thieve...
M'rella
Many things in this book require additional information, as they are not explained or explored enough. That was the only downfall. However, I am hoping the next installment (or two) will clear up the confusion.

4.5 stars 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 💫
Gabi
Just a messy review, don't have time.

I think it's the perfect length, even though there are a ton of questions left unanswered. Such as, what happened to the humans? how this world came about, with orcs and elves and wizards? It is most definitely a post-apocalyptic, futuristic fantasy world. What happened to Austin and JT in the past, how they got captured and why, and how did they get away? So yeah a lot of questions, I'm hoping to get answers.

Lots of action with guns,
Len Evans Jr
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
OK... might add more to this later, but just wanted to leave a few thoughts for now. First off, if you go into this book expecting a HEA or HFN then don't. As far as I can tell Austion and JT will not be getting their HEA until book 3 is released November 19 2018. That said... I still enjoyed this book immensely, the author did a very good job of balancing the action, sex and the actual story he is telling quite well. The world-building is well done with a lot of interesting stuff. I look forwar ...more
Erica
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is what it would be like if a game of Shadowrun came to life. This is what it would be like if Neal Stephenson wrote LGBT fiction. This is what it would be like if Neuromancer and the Lord of the Rings trilogy had a beautiful gay baby. This is the best thing I've read all year.
Eugenia
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cyberpunk Love, Mayhem, and a Bumpy Ride.....3.5 Stars.....

Welcome to sometime in the future. A time after the Awakening, which I assume to be when magic came upon the earth again. This is not explained. Actually, many things are not explained in this, my first book by this author.

At times this book was simply awesome:
-Intriguing characters
-Fascinating world
-Crazy technology
-Sexy green orcs with tusks
-Magical elves with fruit-flavored emissions (YUM!)
Gemma ♕ Books_McCoy
Kathleen

Wow, what a wild ride! I was enthralled with the phenomenal world building, fascinating and deeply flawed characters, and the extraordinary story. It was an incredible blend of cyberpunk, urban fantasy, and science fiction. I can hardly wait to find out what happens next!
Ami
2.75 stars rounded up

I was immediately intrigued with the blurb when I saw this being listed at Netgalley. First, ORC! Yep, orc and elf. While I read a number of urban fantasy books with elves, I don't think I've read many with orcs as main character and protagonists. Second, the allusion that JT and Austin had history previously. Second-chance romance will always be a favorite trope of mine. I wanted to know why it didn't work between them before and how would JT and Austin found a way back to each other again.

Unfortunately, I ha
Ije the Devourer of Books
Not a great hit with me unfortunately because I really liked the blurb.

When I read the blurb for this story I immediately wanted to read it. I kept a look out for it on Netgalley and when it finally arrived it went straight to the top of my review pile (and yes I have a substantial review pile). There was just something about an adventure with an orc and an elf that sounded both intriguing and innovative.

And to be honest it was innovative and intriguing but it just didn't grab me. ...more
Elisabeth Lane

Phenomenal book. I'm reviewing for TBR Challenge.
Sophia
A futuristic fantasy world, anti-heroes reunited for one last adventure, and nothing is as it seems in this first time outing with new to me author. I was eager for the high octane rush that was sure to come with a story such as this and it did not wait long to present itself.

This story had a lot of moving parts and was layered with hints to a backstory and world building involving the main characters that played a huge role in the present, but was fed to the reader in bits and piece
Don Bradshaw
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
What an awful read. I guess the author was going for steampunk but didn't get there.
Abi (The Knights Who Say Book)
(ebook from Netgalley)
Uh... I don't know about this one. It was enjoyable, but a bunch of problems immediately come to mind.

Things about this book:

1. It has really cool world building. It's a blend of magic and technology that hints at some kind of huge change that took place on Earth 40 years before that led to mutant species, and it's very interesting and has a lot of potential. And I think it used a reasonable amount of that potential.

2. It has a lot of sex.
Sadie Forsythe
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5
This I truly enjoyed. My only complaint was that there is a lot of history and I felt like I was reading a second book, instead of a first. It left some important information too vague. Like, why have there only been orcs for a generation and a half? What, exactly, was the Awakening? But beyond that, which admittedly is a big complaint, I loved the characters and the world. I liked the writing style and the author's voice. And the epilogue tempted me into wanting book 2 right now. So, i
Allison
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
I actually loved this. This is not my usual type of book, too often fantasy goes off the rails for me when it gets too detailed in the world building, but this was perfect. I didn't always understand everything completely but I didn't care that much because I was swept along by the story. I will definitely be reading the other two books in the series.
Antonella
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved this book and I'm going to by the two following installments. Very intriguing universe, gripping story. On the negative side: too much sex and a cliffhanger.
Elena Linville
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: won-t-recommend, arcs, meh
This book could have been great. It could have been the first book in a new series that I would have really wanted to follow. It had so much potential… and the fact that it frittered it away is extremely frustrating.

The little bit of worlbuilding we get hints at an interesting world. It's set in the future, so technologies are quite advanced, especially augmented reality, implants, and the connection to the World Wide Web that allows you to experience VR with all five senses. But we
Ksenia
5.5 stars - Very nice start of a new indie series. I enjoyed it enormously, and was very saddened by its short length. I literally can’t wait to read more of the series, especially because the romantic plot was far from resolved. Thought I’m a bit confused on this one, because it seems the next book deals with different couple. The book has a good solid world-building, which is not really explained, but feels so vivid and intriguing, that you just except it as is.
The adventure/mystery part was
Terri Jones
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: special-ones
It feels like this story was written with my specific demographic in mind. After decades of reading science fiction and fantasy, I know all those tropes, and I've spent two years reading mostly m/m romances since my own novel's MC went and fell for one of his teammates - I needed to learn a new set of tropes. This book: orcs and elves have entered the world, science and magic conflict, the main orc's a techie, his former lover's an elf, and when they try to rescue part of a friend (yes you read ...more
JR
I'm not really sure if I got the plot, but I sure as hell liked the story and the characters. It was whirlwind action involving orcs, elves, wizards, cyberpunks, and triads. Ye Gods, it was fun and extremely sexy. I want to go again !!
Jess Crafts
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
I was expecting this to be YA but this was definitely in the new adult ballpark! It’s about an orc called JT who has left a life of crime behind him and started his own robotics business when his old partner and friend (and maybe something more), an elf by the name Austin, comes around calling and asking for help on a job. JT reluctantly agrees and they go on an adventure. Wizards, necromancers, zombies, drones, virtual reality, AI’s and magical foxes all get thrown into the mix. Sounds exciting ...more
Aug 17, 2018 rated it liked it
3 to 3.5* this story felt a bit disjointed, wasn’t sure where the characters were coming from or why. The world the author created was an interesting take on urban fantasy with high tech advancement, elves, orcs, wizards, and artificial intelligence. I own the second book so will likely continue the series.
Alison
Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, lgbtq, queer, sff
Enjoyable, but I didn't really connect with this story. Not sure why. There are a lot of unanswered questions, though I presume they might be answered in later books. I liked the magic/tech mashup. This was fun, but it didn't click for me.
Karen
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Karen by: Kristen Burns
Well, that was wild, frustrating, sexy, weird, bittersweet and really cool!
Stephanie   GooglyEyes
3.5*

This is like World of Warcraft characters come to life in some sort of dystopian new age society.

What I like most about this story was JTs "implants". He could connect mentally with all his toys. By toys I mean cars, drones, cameras,etc.. He controlled them with his mind, but if he really wanted to, he could also feel what they felt. Like the wind blowing across the surface, etc... That last scene was kind of Ludacris but I loved it anyways.

What I wasn't to thrilled about with
J.C. Long
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
I wish I could rate this better. I really wanted to like it, I did. In the end, though, it just came off to me as someone writing down their Shadowrun campaign ideas. There wasn't a single original idea in this; everything had a blatant Shadowrun foil. I was hoping that something would have been taken and turned on its side, or something, something new added to the mix, but that's not what I found.

The characters were flat and two dimensional, the romance was unbelievable the way it p
« previous 1 3 next »

• Any Old Diamonds (Lilywhite Boys #1)
  • Unfit to Print
  • The Henchmen of Zenda
  • Not Dead Yet (Not Dead Yet #1)
  • Salt Magic, Skin Magic
  • Hexslayer (Hexworld, #3)
  • Spectred Isle (Green Men, #1)
  • An Unsuitable Heir (Sins of the Cities, #3)
  • A Ferry of Bones & Gold (Soulbound, #1)
  • Machine Metal Magic (Mind + Machine, #1)
  • Band Sinister
  • Hexhunter (Hexworld #4)
  • The Last Sun (The Tarot Sequence, #1)
  • A Chip and a Chair (Seven of Spades, #5)
  • Hither, Page (Page & Sommers, #1)
  • The Mage on the Hill (The Web of Arcana #1)
  • All Souls Near & Nigh (Soulbound, #2)
  • Bone to Pick (Digging Up Bones, #1)

Blue Unicorn (3 books)
  • Apocalypse Alley (Blue Unicorn, #2)
  • The Burning Magus (Blue Unicorn, #3)
“The cutting-room floor of JT's mind was littered with memories in Austin-shaped pieces.” 1 likes