Start by marking “4th and Goal Every Day: Alabama's Relentless Pursuit of Perfection” as Want to Read:
4th and Goal Every Day: Alabama's Relentless Pursuit of Perfection

4th and Goal Every Day: Alabama's Relentless Pursuit of Perfection

Alabama has won four national titles in eight seasons. Fans and college football programs all over the country want to know, “How does Alabama do it?”

4th and Goal Every Day is a look through the eyes of football lifer Phil Savage who provides a unique, 360-degree perspective on Alabama football from his current role as the radio color analyst for the Crimson Tide Sports Ne

Published August 29th 2017 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about 4th and Goal Every Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 4th and Goal Every Day

Start your review of 4th and Goal Every Day: Alabama's Relentless Pursuit of Perfection
Lance
Aug 04, 2017 rated it liked it
With the recent long run of success by the Alabama Crimson Tide football program, this book looked like the perfect source of information on why the Tide has been the most successful it had been since the days of Paul “Bear” Bryant. The author, Phil Savage, certainly has the pedigree to write about this. His long career in football as a coach, scout and general manager, as well as his current position as a radio analyst for the Crimson Tide certainly places him in a position to intimately know t ...more
Lane
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: football
A Goodreads Giveaway
The book is interesting but living in the SE all of the material has been much discussed on TV and radio and written about.
The book has a lot of repeated material that I found disrupting to the flow of the book. Also assistant coach Burns name is "Burns, Saban's longest serving assistant coach" every time he is referred to. At least twice, the author comment that more will be covered about Burns later but that never happens.
for the casual fan of college football or Alabama fo
Jamie
Feb 20, 2018 rated it liked it
I drank the Kool-Aid. As an unrepentant fan of college football, I couldn't resist looking behind the curtain at the best in the business. This breezy read gives some interesting insights into the daily habits and philosophies of arguably the greatest coach of all-time. Nick Saban is a fascinating character, deserving of a closer look. However, the book is quite repetitive, full of redundancies, and fluff. Bama fans will love the book, while the rest of us could've likely gained these insights a ...more
John Detrick
Sep 06, 2017 rated it liked it
If you can get past Savages man crush on Sabin

Lots of very good tid bits on the college game . The authors over the top praise of Sabin got old in a hurry and leant a sameness to nearly everything he discussed. I found the recruiting process very interesting and very cut and dry in that if you're not 6' 6" and 260# and run 4.6 you're not Tide material. The book was just OK for me.
Brad Powlen
Dec 15, 2018 rated it liked it
More about the author than the subject

Book started strong with details about recruiting and peace for Saban. Instead of giving more insight into Saban's process and history learning from the greats, the author spends more time on where he comes from and the state of Alabama. That's kind of interesting but not really what you expect. It's a middle of the pack read and I enjoyed the beginning chapters but lost interest towards the end.
Eli Gray
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this book, Phil Savage does an excellent job of giving the reader a behind the scenes look at the system which Nick Saban implemented at Bama and which puts them in position to compete for a national title year in and year out.

If you are interested in 'how the sausage gets made' and not just the end result of W-L record it is highly likely that you will enjoy this book as much as I did
H Warren Holladay
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I like Phil Savage

This is an interesting and at times tedious read. I found it to be as much auto biography as explanation of Alabama football. There were aspects that were covered quite a bit and a number that were left out. Without naming names it would be interesting to understand how some coaches survived long stints with Coach Saban and others did not.
Andrew
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting behind-the-curtain look at the Alabama football program under Nick Saban written by Savage, who has been around Saban on-and-off since his days in Cleveland and is now colour analyst for Crimson Tide radio. Fascinating stuff. The way Saban does things, you can see why he's been so insanely successful. ...more
Scott Holstad
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business, sports
Disappointing. A more objective author could have done something with this, but this blindly slobbering homer is incapable of writing anything more than overly dramatic, borderline mythological hero worship. A little stunning coming from a veteran professional whom one would hope would be mature enough in his career to not sound like a teenage fanboy. Not recommended.
Zach Holte
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever wondered how Alabama built their own legacy team? This book tells you how Alabama built their whole legacy and where all the coaches started at. The book is a little slow but picks up and keeps you reading. I would prefer this book for all of the people like to watch football.
Matthew
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
As an avid Alabama football fan, I loved reading this book about the Crimson Tide's "relentless pursuit of perfection." ...more
Madison Thornton
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic inside scoop on the Alabama program. I do not understand some of the negative views. Extremely informative, nuts and bolts stuff.
Dana
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great insight into Nick Saban and The Process, but was a bit too fanboy for me.
Jonathan Johnson
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very good comprehensive book on what has made nick saban and Alabama’s football team successful over the past 10 years
The author, Phil Savage, runs through Nick Saban’s career and coaching ideals, from how he recruits, to how he judges what position a player should be, and even nicks film room habits and his never needing search for perfection
I would not recommend this book to the average reader or even to the casual football fan
This is a coaches book
I believe this book should be read by every
Carol
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
First of all, I'm a huge football fan - I live and breathe football. While the book was interesting it just didn't have that pizzazz! for me. I enjoy watching the team play - they are so exciting. Not a real fan of Nick Saban but then I grew up with the likes of Tom Landry, my hero. This book is fact filled and a joy to read.

Thank you to Goodreads for a copy for my review.
Kyle
Feb 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As an Alabama alum, Phil Savage's effusive praise of the Crimson Tide naturally won me over. Roll Tide! ...more
Brent Tate
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great look inside the Alabama program and mind of Coach Saban. Full of very interesting history as well. Must read for Alabama fans/die hard college football fans.
Brodee

• Relentless: From Good to Great to Unstoppable
  • Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets
  • The Coffee Bean: A Simple Lesson to Create Positive Change
  • The Mamba Mentality: How I Play
  • The Energy Bus: 10 Rules to Fuel Your Life, Work, and Team with Positive Energy
  • Eleven Rings: The Soul of Success
  • The Slight Edge
  • Gridiron Genius: A Master Class in Winning Championships and Building Dynasties in the NFL
  • It Takes What It Takes: How to Think Neutrally and Gain Control of Your Life
  • The Proximity Principle: The Proven Strategy That Will Lead to a Career You Love
  • Saban: The Making of a Coach
  • The Victory Machine: The Making and Unmaking of the Warriors Dynasty
  • Coach Wooden's Pyramid of Success: Building Blocks for a Better Life
  • We Own This City: A True Story of Crime, Cops and Corruption in an American City
  • Chasing the Bear: How Bear Bryant and Nick Saban Made Alabama the Greatest College Football Program of All Time
  • Lean Health: Aging in Reverse