Start by marking “Excess Baggage (A standalone: Babes of Brighton Series Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Excess Baggage (A standalone: Babes of Brighton Series Book 1)

Excess Baggage (Babes of Brighton #1)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  134 Ratings  ·  94 Reviews
Stuck in a dead-end relationship, Erica Bennett finds herself daydreaming of her first holiday romance. She was fifteen, it was exciting, new and full of possibilities…and Jack Lawson was hot as hell. That kind of thing leaves a mark.

Published May 23rd 2017 by Laura Barnard

To ask other readers questions about Excess Baggage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Excess Baggage

DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

My God, how is it fair that he got hotter? I’ve always kind of hoped that he was one of those gorgeous teenagers that peaked early and was now obese and ugly, possibly bald. But this level of good looking, well it’s just not fair at all.

Friends are supposed to be there for you when you do stupid stuff. Not to just judge you and say I told you so. I have my mother for that.

Molly is so cute and loveable that it’s like sunbeams actually shine from her eyes. No one ever meets her and
Laura Nelson (Tangents and Tissues)
I’m a sucker for a second chance love story. I’m sure we’ve all played the ‘What If?’ game at some point in our lives. Or maybe, it’s just *coughs* women of a certain age (myself included) that do that sort of thing *snorts*

Arriving on Luna Island with her friends for a much needed holiday, Erica Bennett can’t believe it when the boy from her first holiday romance, all those years ago, walks into the same hotel. Only that boy, Jack Lawson, is very much now a M-A-N *winks*

One thing’s for sure, th
ItaPixie
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars

Excess Baggage was a nice quick read.

I've appreciated the sunny lively atmosphere and the motley group of characters that make this story funny,intriguing and enjoyable.

Erica and Jack didn't have a good record for their past encounters but their attraction is still over the top.I was so curious to know if their future will be better now after 15 years I've read this story in a day.

Copy kindly provided by the Publisher/Author

A
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it
ARC received from the author in exchange for an honest review :)

I have some very mixed feelings about this one... really loved the writing style, it was funny and entertaining, but on the other hand... the heroine was so frustrating... *sighs* this was my first book by Laura Barnard, and I am definitely gonna give her work another go, but this particular story was just not my cup of tea :) full review on the release day :)

edited to add my full review :)

I got an ARC of this book from the author i
Siobhan
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excess Baggage was my first Laura Barnard read, and I can guarantee it will not be my last. I went into this book expecting to read a couple of chapters on the way to work, only to find myself sneaking a read at every possible moment. It was all kind of addictive, taking me on a wild ride, and it has left me with the most intense desire to pick up Laura Barnard’s other books.

Excess Baggage is a beautiful second chance romance with the perfect mix of humour and emotion. Telling the story of recon
Chitra Iyer
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
The just released Excess Baggage by Laura Barnard is a breezy, young romance. Nevertheless, it can be enjoyed by everyone, regardless of age

Erica is enjoying her vacation with friends when she bumps into Jack, her first love. Only now, Jack seems absolutely irresistible and Erica finds herself completely flustered. Similar feelings haunt Jack and he can't seem to keep himself distanced from Erica for long. But with Karl (Erica's current boyfriend) and Amber (who is constantly checking on Jack) i
Nikki Groom
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Funny, laugh out loud, and perfect for a holiday sun lounger read! I love Laura's quirky humour and her writing is effortless to read, there's a bit of something for everyone in this story and plenty of cringe worthy, OMG moments that are relatable to all of us at some point!
Lourdes
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
My review has been posted on Shelly's Book Corner

www.goodreads.com/review/show/1991425423
Romi
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
I just have to open this review with saying that I had some serious Laugh Out Loud moments, it was really funny! I’m not one to easily laugh out loud while reading stories, but with this story I did. It definitely had some Bridget Jones vibes going on when it comes to the British humour. I loved it!

Overall, I really liked reading this book and it went perfectly with the sunny weather that we’ve had in the Netherlands lately! The story takes part on a sunny island, so it’s best to read it while t
Kathy Rouchelle
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it
I really wish goodreads would allow half stars but alas they don't so I will start off by saying my score is 3.5 stars.

This story was really well written with a very promising story line. The premise of young teenage love finding each other 15 years later would be a wonderful second chance story. Even with this particular story and the things that they did, their "adventures", and maybe some portions of their friend's involvement and interactions would work. However, it's the characters that put
Grass monster
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it

The Blurb :
So when her friends suggest a girls holiday to Luna Island, it’s exactly what she needs to take her mind off things. What she doesn’t expect is to spot Jack – a much older, hotter version of him – across the hotel lobby.
Their attraction is still there and
Fiona Wilson
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
This author has once again produced something which had me in tears through laughing on more than one occasion while reading this. She has the ability to write scenes where I can see it happening in my mind as I read the words on the page, and that makes me enjoy it even more.

This is a lovely second chance at romance story with so much humour throughout. Fans of the author will love this, as will those who enjoy an easy read with plenty of laughs.
Lady Living  In Bookland
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Erica is going on a girls holiday to refresh herself from the pressures of home life. But the last person she expected to see, thousands of miles from home was her childhood sweetheart and first love Jack.

This hilarious read which took less than two hours to read, was a funny and light hearted and perfect summer read for 2017. I think I had in my head how the story would go, but the author put so many extras that have your sides hurting with laughter, you can't help but fall in love with all th
Badass Bloggettes
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excess Baggage is a cute second-chance love story by Laura Barnard. Erica and her gal pals are taking a much-needed vacation to have some hot fun. Erica’s mom is on the mend after chemo, and the girls want her to let loose and enjoy a week of relaxation. Unbeknownst to Erica, also on a week’s vacation with the guys is Jack her first love.

Erica and Jack met on a family vacation when they were young teens, hit it off, and thought they could continue a long-distance relationship. As typically ha
KFForever
Reviewed by Donna on Behalf of KFF

Fifteen years ago, Erica Bennett and Jack Lawson met on holiday whilst with their families. It soon became apparent that their caravans were next door to each other. Their families became friends and the two had a bit of a teenage romance. Erica was fifteen years old and Jack was sixteen. The holiday ended and with all holiday romances there is a promise to keep in touch. They did for a little while and it would seem they grew up and lost touch.

Erica is in what
Miriam Meza
I've said too many times how much I love finding new authors to read. Also I've said how much I love romance books and comedies. Well, Excess Baggage combine all of that: It's a romantic comedy written by a new author (for me).

With a fresh and light first person narration, Laura Barnard tell the Erica's story. She's a girl trapped in a relationship where she's no longer happy. This lover boy was her rock, her partner, her friend... but he's not rocking her world. When her mom is about to start
Emma Allsop - Perusing Princesses
4 Crowns

Excess Baggage is a standalone romantic comedy, unrelated to any previous work by this author.

Erica is on a girl’s holiday to Luna Island. It’s a well needed break following her mum’s current battle with cancer and a relationship with Karl that isn’t floating her boat anymore. So imagine her shock when she comes face to face with the boy that broke her heart following a holiday romance at the tender age of 15. Jack was her first love, but do feelings still remain? She has a week to find
Rachel
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy Laura Barnard's books and with that in mind I jumped at the chance to read Excess Baggage. So what did I think...

A fun and entertaining story that held my interest completely with the antics of this group of friends. Erica can't believe her eyes when she ends up face to face with her first romance. You can definitely feel the connection that they share but will they ever get their timing right and end up with a happy ever after?

I really enjoyed the fact that you get to see the sto
Shelly's Book Corner
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lourdes-reviews
Erica and Jack met as teenagers and had a summer romance that endured for a little after summer was over, but not long enough. Fast forward some 12 years and Erica is with her girlfriends on a holiday trip at an island resort when she encounters her former flame across the hotel lobby. What’s a girl to do?
When their groups meld together, Erica and Jack will be constantly around each other. With the attraction still there and strong as ever, they’ll have to decide whether or not they can risk a s
Claire - The Coffeeholic Bookworm
Looking for a fun and crazy summer read? Probably something to peruse while vacationing with friends in the beach.. The story was all kinds of crazy and drama and romance, just right for a particularly hot and sunny day.

This is a second chance romance for Jack and Erica, who had met, had fun and had an affair when they were at the young age of fifteen. The perfect puppy love if you’d ask me. Now, fifteen years later, they saw each other again on a holiday in Luna Island, and tried to rekindled t
Stacey
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was my second read from Laura so I had a notion of the kind of humour I could expect from this book.

Going into the story we meet Erica who has just arrived on Luna Island for a girly holiday. Across the hotel lobby she spots Jack, an ex boyfriend from 15 years ago when they were teens. Also on holiday with his friends! What a coincidence... What could go wrong?

I could tell from the off that they still had feelings for each other - whether it was love, I wasn't sure after the way their rel
Naturalbri (Bri Wignall)
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
LOVE this book! It is the best blend of real life and hilarious antics that you could ever have. It was truly the perfect book to come home to, after a long day, and have a real giggle and enjoy myself. Barnard has a way of taking all those moments that would embarrass the life out of you and making them into the best thing that ever happened, well, for us and not so much for the main characters.

I found the characters were created exceptionally well. Each was very realistic and easy to get to k
Monique
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Have you ever wondered what happened to your first love?
Have you ever thought, what could have been if you stayed in touch?
Did you think you would ever see them again? And if so, what would happen?
This fun and quick read from Laura Barnard is all about finding your first love, and letting fate take its course. When Erica takes a much need break away from her ailing mum with her besties, she had no idea that the group of rowdy boys they stumble upon at the bar, one of them was her first love. Co
Melissa Joseph (Book Addicts Reviews)
4.5 charmingly funny stars!! Omg this was the perfect summer read!!

This is a stand alone (for now) but I am hoping that the author decides to give us a Tom and Brooke story next!!!

This is Jack and Erica's love story...

Remember your summer fling from when you were a teenager?!?! The one that got away... How crazy would it be to run into that person as a full grown sexy adult on a vacation on the islands?!?! Perfection, right?!?! Well that's what has happened here but can one spoiled teenage relat
Jen
May 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I love a good second chance romance. And that’s exactly what Laura Barnard delivered. Excess Baggage is a solid, well-written story. It has its cute moments, its funny moments, and its sweet moments. There was quite a few times where I got annoyed with the characters. For supposedly being in their late twenties/early thirties they were childish and immature. They’re great apart from each other—well written and complex but together? They regressed back to their teenage selves. It would make more ...more
C.J. Fallowfield
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excess Baggage is my third book by Barnard and probably my favourite yet.
A teenage encounter left Erica and Jack forlorn when their holiday was over and they had to go back to their respective home towns, some distance apart. Despite trying to keep the relationship alive via texting, one ill-thought out text from Jack upsets Erica and she refuses to answer his call when he realises his mistake.
15 years later, they bump into each other again while on holiday at Luna Island and it's clear to every
Chelsey
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Erica and Jack met on holiday when they were teenagers. They were each other's first love, but didn't keep in touch. Now that Erica is an adult and in a dead end relationship, she finds herself thinking about Jack. She goes on holiday with a girlfriend and unexpectedly runs into Jack. Sparks fly, and Erica wonders if she's getting a second chance with her first love.

I loved this book's cover (so gorgeous) and loved the idea of rekindling a teenage romance. I think the concept will resonate with
Ria -  Reading Is Our Satisfaction
Light-hearted Summer Read

EXCESS BAGGAGE has been my introduction to the writing of Laura Barnard. It was such a wonderful introduction too, a second chance romance story that will melt the hardest of hearts. This is the story of Erica and Jack, who after having a summer romance fifteen years prior when they were teenagers, meet once again and realise that the attraction is still there.

Sexual tension flows throughout the pages of this one. Erica is extremely awkward and clutsy, for a woman of her
Marla
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
The only thing missing for me was me reading this on a beach !!

This wasn't my first Laura Barnard book and it won't be my last !

I love the writing of this story (to be honest in all of Laura's stories) Laura balances the awkward funny moments with serious steamy moments. Wether it's a wardrobe malfunction with your bikini top, face planting in the mud, don't worry this story is not over the top ridiculous. It's witty and relatable. I love the chemistry between Erica and Jack. One word exfoliato
Sue
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was my first time reading Laura Barnard and I really liked how she told the story. From the individual quirkiness of each single character to the history behind some of the relationships, Laura brought this story to life. I struggled at first to realize that this was some 15 years later as they seemed still so childish and immature but as the story went on they seemed to grow up a bit. While Jack and Erica seemingly belonged together, they had a tough time letting go of certain issues of th ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Laura Barnard lives in Hertfordshire, UK and writes romantic comedy or 'chick lit' as its so often described. In her spare time she enjoys drinking her body weight in tea, indulging in cupcakes the size of her face and drooling over hunks like Jamie Dornan, Ryan Gosling and Leo Dicaprio.

She enjoys wearing yoga pants and reading fitness magazines while sitting on the sofa eating chocolate. She's a
More about Laura Barnard...

Babes of Brighton (2 books)
  • Love Uncovered