Start by marking “The Scions of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Scions of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara, #1)

The Scions of Shannara

(Heritage of Shannara #1)

Since the death of Allanon, life in the Four Lands has drastially changed. Yet Par Ohmsford still has some power of the Wishsong. And when a message from the ancient Druid, Allanon, reaches them, Par is ordered to recover the long-lost Sword of Shannara, and the glory that once was the Four Lands....
Published October 5th 2006 by Orbit (first published April 12th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Scions of Shannara, please sign up.
Beau Not necessarily, but you will get more out of this book if you read the original trilogy first (The Sword of Shannara, The Elfstones of Shannara, and…moreNot necessarily, but you will get more out of this book if you read the original trilogy first (The Sword of Shannara, The Elfstones of Shannara, and The Wishsong of Shannara). There are many references to things that took place in those books. But still, the plot here should make sense, and I find this book better and more interesting than the original trilogy.(less)

Mike (the Paladin)
Jul 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I need a way to rate the book and then a way to separately rate the edition I got. I have the audio I got from OverDrive and the gain is so low that with the recording turned up all the way, my speakers turned up all the way and going into my computers audio controls and jacking them up all the way I could barely hear it. Recording value -1 star.

The book is a return to the world of the original Shannara trilogy though much later. magic is outlawed and practically gone (funny how often that seems
maricar
my first terry brooks novel, and purely by chance. since then, i was hooked. don't care if people say that brooks was a hack compared to tolkien. i like both authors--they have their own writing styles, and both are very good in their art.

what is great about brooks and his shannara series is that every chapter is riveting. there were times when i really couldn't put the book down--i just wanted to gobble up every scene, every confrontation, every revelation. besides having fantastical character
MC
Jan 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For The Sword of Shannara Trilogy, author Terry Brooks wrote three separate, but loosely-connected tales. In The Heritage of Shannara, he tells one large, epic tale over the space of four books. It was quite a departure from the pattern of the previous stories, and, if the first book is any indication, this seems to have worked quite well for Brooks.

As the first book, The Scions of Shannara, opens, the world is a radically different place from the world that Brin and Jair Ohmsford inhabited at t
Mitali
I first read this book about 3-4 years ago, but it was apparently so forgettable that I couldn't remember a thing about it apart from the very bare bones of the plot. Even when I started skimming through it to remind myself of more details (so that I could read its sequels), I had almost no memory of most of the scenes or even important characters, so I finally decided to reread the whole damn thing. Perhaps it's an exercise in masochism to reread something that my mind didn't think was worth ho ...more
Roman Kurys
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So while I though the first Trilogy good, this has been GREAT! A fantastic ride through a good adventure courtesy of Terry Brooks.

I really love how he continually brings up events from the last 3 books in a non invasive manner that flows well with the story and also at the same time serves as a reminder of the times in the past. This has made it much easier to get immersed in the story and plenty of times I found hours slip by unnoticed and had to make myself stop reading to go on about my day.
Shannan
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been a fan of the various Shannara series' for a number of years but the Heritage series is probably my favourite. The brotherly bond with struggle and love is so well written that I really relate to Par and Coll. This is, in some ways, your standard sort of "epic fantasy" with elves, dwarves, humans, etc. but the personal stories carry it so much further than just any "standard" fantasy. I've read this series before, and I'll read it again! Love it.
Anita
Aug 13, 2012 rated it did not like it
Dull and unimaginative. Gave up after about 70 pages when I lost the will to read any more.
Dark-Draco
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in the second series of Shannara books. 300 years have passed since Brin destroyed the Ildatch, but the Four Lands are in turmoil. The Federation have begun to take over, enslaving the dwarves, fighting the trolls and banning magic. The elves have disappeared and dark Shadowen take over the bodies of the people they destroy. The shade of Allanon sends dreams to the three Ohmsford chidlren. Par has the power of the wishsong and is ordered to seek out the legendary Sword of ...more
Jamie
Oct 13, 2016 rated it liked it
This book was good, although I did not care for it as much as I cared for any of the three installments of the first Shannara series. This novel was clearly meant to be read with with other two books in the series, and was notably less of a standalone novel than any of the earlier books. It was, however, a great first part. The plot was slow to build, but did so steadily. The resolution was swift. Yet, even in resolution it had the distinct feel of a ledge, not the end of the story. Definite cli ...more
Rick
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Following the typical fantasy formula a group of friends and strangers pull together to complete a campaign, but once the initial goal is reached a trinity of campaigns is introduced that divides what was a typical, singular campaign party. Once the divisions were established I had a bit of trouble following the new story line as it unfurled in three subplots. However, after about 100 pages I began to see just how well the author as bringing everything together and I began to really enjoy the ba ...more
Squire
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
#14/29 in my Epic Shannara Quest.

Three-hundred years after his death, the druid Allanon is at it again, calling upon the descendants of the Elven house of Shannara to stamp out evil threatening the Four Lands. This time he has three of them to contend with, each with their own personalities and egos.

?"...There is a history that needs repeating. There are adventures to be shared and battles to be won. This is what Fate has decreed for you and me!"

This is the problem with the beginning of this new
Jeffery Moulton
Jan 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: epic-fantasy
I am a longtime Terry Brooks fan but have primarily focused on his Magic Kingdom and Word and the Void stories. So I haven't yet completed all of the Shannara books and decided it was time to do so. This book is the first I've read since Wishsong. Wishsong wasn't my favorite Brooks book, so I wasn't sure how much I would like this one. I am happy to report that I really enjoyed this story and the characters. It was interesting to see what Brooks had done with the world and the battle sequences w ...more
Martti
Oct 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
The whole of this book annoyed me, because in a sense this is just an introduction to the next book. An annoyingly long introduction. It was kind of a same emotion when reading Harry Potter books, where you discover that the first four-five books have been just a wait for the Real Plot to surface. I think I would have been fine just to read the couple of last chapters and be done with it.
T.A.
Nov 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I don't remember how many times I've read this book, it's quite a few, but the last time was probably over 10 years ago. Picking it up and reading it again was like meeting up with a friend I've not seen in years but we talk as it it was last week. All the classic parts of a great fantasy novel and a great read, I'll be reading book two later today.
John Taylor
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the book that started it all for me, the one that got me reading, that got me into fantasy, and introduced me to a lifelong fansession with Terry Brooks. And although I've read and enjoy Sword of Shannara more, this was the one that started it all for me. If Mr. Brooks ever happens upon this review, thank you for a life made more fantastic through your stories.
Jason Carpenter
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an awesome story, written as well as any other Terry Brooks book I've read. The characters are deep and interesting and the battle between good and evil is shown to be much more complex than just the good guys versus the bad guys. I highly recommend this book to anyone who appreciates a well-written, rich, and complex fantasy.
Ian McGaffey
This was good story, but it got off to a slow start. As the first book in the trilogy it makes sense that it wasn't all resolved, so I'm interested in finishing the trilogy to find out how the characters finish their quests.
Ariel Paiement
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Exciting and enthralling. It kept me turning pages the entire time. The first two chapters were a little slow, but the rest of it was good. I would highly recommend this book to others!
Branwen *of House Targaryen*
This is the first book in the 'Heritage' series of Shannara and I absolutely LOVED it! This series just keeps getting better and better!
Bookworm Smith
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Terry Brooks books are just so good! They are fast paced when they need to be - it's nice to have a lot of action! But, they also weave a deep story with lots of detail...which makes the 400+ pages just fly by.
This story continues building on the original Sword of Shannara series - bringing back the sword, the elfstones, the wishsong - the story is a similar adventure/quest to find the magical item and defeat the evil/magical demons. Which means lots of worldbuilding and magical action scenes.
T
Cheri
Dec 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, audio
The "ten generations" concept is interesting, removed enough to be a new story, and yet... it's not, really. It's still Allanon's half-told stories, the Ohmsford's reluctant forays into hero-hood, and evil things' efforts to thwart it all and let darkness taint the land.

In a word, classic fantasy. Nothing surprising, just good old fantasy. Like well-worn jeans.

The writing continues to improve, which is nice. Brooks's irritating initial quirks have ironed themselves out. Enjoyable commute distr
Connie Fogg-Bouchard
chasing shades

Par and Coll seek freedom from a place where real magic is a legend and illegal. what they get is the reawakening of the Lunsford magic, affecting all of the children of Shannara.

excellent follow-up series to the Sword of Shannara
NathanDoussot
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
"The Scions of Shannara" is one of many books set in The Four Lands, which is populated by humans, elves, dwarves, trolls and other peoples. We mainly view this story from the viewpoint of 2 brothers, Par and Coll Omhsford. They journey through an oppressed land, where magic is outlawed and many non-humans are subjected under a totalitarian rule, all the while beings called shades propagate and seek to take over the land. They set out on a search for the Sword of Shannara, which has been lost fo ...more
Goldilocks275
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a generic fantasy story. Expect dwarves, monsters, magic and a whole lot of walking. Points deducted for the repetitive scenes involving walking, fighting, sneaking and pretty much everything else. Points in favor of the well-constructed ending and multiple cliff-hangers.
Fredrick Danysh
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The Four Lands are in danger of being destroyed by evil as magic is ignored and forgotten. The Ohmsford and Boh descendants who possess any magic are summoned by the ghost of the Druid Allanon. They will face many dangers including the Shadowmen as they approach the meeting.
Jessica
Oct 22, 2017 rated it liked it
This is the point at which Shannara series goes from amateurish Tolkien fanfic to actually readable, imho. (Although when I was 9 I loved them all.)
Abigail
Oct 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Abigail by: David St louis
Shelves: fantasy
After finishing the original Shannara trilogy, my husband insisted we continue our journey into the world by starting this quartet. It's his favorite. It's definitely a different world you step into with this one. Taking place 300 years after The Wishsong of Shannara, we find a land that's owned by the big, bad "Federation," a place where the elves have disappeared, the dwarves are systematically oppressed and magic is forbidden. The stories from the previous trilogy are now myth and legend. Wha ...more
Octavia Cade
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
"It was ok" really does sum this up for me. I've read a number of the Shannara books, and some of them work for me more than others. The ones I like better tend to have more women in them for a start - Wren and Teel are only bit players here, and the beginning relationship between Damson and Par (who I cannot, cannot help but think of as Plum and Golf Boy, the names in this series are truly terrible) is something I find deeply unconvincing.

Mostly, though, it's the length (too long for what it is
Nitesh
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really love this book. i don't have any idea of 2nd book; it's not related to par ohmsford. Even though it's not related to par ohmsford i'm gonna read it. i'm in a suspense right now , how coll is in the cell, and what will happen to walker boh!, is he alive or not. at last i loved this book, this was my first genre.
Max
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great start of the Heritage of Shannara series. You could start your Shannara adventure with this one, but it has quite some references to the earlier works. I found it very enjoyable, even though it's a standard Terry Brooks story.
Do i have to read Wishsong before? 7 23 Oct 05, 2016 11:27AM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Illearth War (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, #2)
  • The Ruby Knight (The Elenium, #2)
  • Into the Fire (Hèl's Crucible, #2)
  • The Lair of Bones (Runelords, #4)
  • La leggenda di Earthsea
  • Dragons of a Vanished Moon (Dragonlance: The War of Souls, #3)
  • The Chaos Balance (The Saga of Recluce #7)
  • Prince of the Blood (Krondor's Sons, #1)
Terry Brooks was born in Illinois in 1944, where he spent a great deal of his childhood and early adulthood dreaming up stories in and around Sinnissippi Park, the very same park that would eventually become the setting for his bestselling Word & Void trilogy. He went to college and received his undergraduate degree from Hamilton College, where he majored in English Literature, and he received ...more

Heritage of Shannara (4 books)
  • The Druid of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara, #2)
  • The Elf Queen of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara, #3)
  • The Talismans of Shannara (Heritage of Shannara, #4)
“If I have the means, I have the responsibility to employ them.” 32 likes
“The future is an ever-shifting maze of possibilities until it becomes the present. The future I have shown you tonight is not yet fixed. But it is more likely to become so with the passing of every day because nothing is being done to turn it aside. If you would change it, do as I have told you.” 14 likes