Start by marking “The Mercy Killers: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Mercy Killers: A Novel

The Mercy Killers: A Novel

From a fierce new voice in American literature comes a psychological drama that combines gripping suspense and unforgettable characters in a story of murder, love, violent passion, and moral responsibility.
Published September 6th 2005 by Counterpoint (first published August 25th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Mercy Killers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mercy Killers

Carol
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
The characters and dialogue are well created, with an an interesting theme that questions when ending a life is moral, both during civilian and wartime contexts. The immoral drafting of soldiers into the Vietnam war is also touched upon.
Christie
Feb 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
I first discovered Reardon a few years back when I read Billy Dead, a novel that continues to haunt me. The Mercy Killers has been on my tbr shelf for ages but I kept putting off reading it because its subject matter didn’t really appeal to me. Once I started it, though, I couldn’t put it down.

Lisa Reardon writes about characters who live in a world vastly different from my own. They are broken-down people whose lives are messy – filled with violence and alcohol and drugs and hopelessness.

The Me
Lynai
Nov 19, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-a-copy
I randomly picked this up from Booksale without any idea what the story was all about, as obviously this isn't a very popular book due to lack of reviews. What could have probably make me buy this book was because its synopsis at the back says it's a story of crime -- the kind of story I cannot pass up especially if it costs only P40. Haha. I was very surprised to find myself thoroughly enjoying the story and finished reading it in one day.

The Mercy Killers is well-written, the dialogue smart an
Evie
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The setting is grim as are the characters and their situations. Not my kind of book, I thought, but within 20 pages or so I was enthralled by the both the gritty reality of the story and the tendrils of hope that run through it. Although terrible things happen the characters are so real you can smell their breath and the message that comes through (at least to me) is one of loyalty, love and (in some ways) redemption. A full disclosure here: I purchased this book because I have taken some writin ...more
Al Sevcik
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is an amazing book. Yes, it's about grubby, down & out characters who spend a lot of their time in McGurk's Tap Room. But it also may be one of the best books about the Vietnam War and what it did to the young men who were there. The book is beautifully written and the characters are clearly drawn. It's also a meditation on obligation and the meaning of "family". This book will be with me for a long time.
Elaine
Nov 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is well written, but I found it quite harrowing! Good cast of characters that you bond with emotionally, so the book sucks you in and you feel for the characters. Thank goodness for the ending (the type of ending) not the end of the book. I liked the book immensely even though it was a hard read at times.
manfred
Aug 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Short review on my blog.
Michele
Jul 04, 2007
Joyce
Feb 16, 2015
Daniel Stanfield
rated it did not like it
Aug 13, 2013