Start by marking “Tales of Space and Time ” as Want to Read:
Tales of Space and Time

Tales of Space and Time

A collection of three short stories and two novellas written between 1897 and 1898. All the stories had first been published in various monthly periodicals and this was the first volume to collect these stories.

contains
"The Crystal Egg"
"The Star"
"A Story of the Stone Age"
"A Story of the Days To Come"
"The Man Who Could Work Miracles"
Published June 1st 1977 by Ayer Company Publishers (first published 1899)

To ask other readers questions about Tales of Space and Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of Space and Time

Start your review of Tales of Space and Time
Cecily
Contains:
"The Crystal Egg"
"The Star"
"A Story of the Stone Age"
"A Story of the Days To Come"
"The Man Who Could Work Miracles" - see my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

All five are free on Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/27365/...
Antony Bennett
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I've been re-disovering H. G. Wells lately, and this collection of short stories is bursting with imagination and entertainment :

THE CRYSTAL EGG - I loved the concept of the crystal egg itself, and the slow reveal of what the egg is holds the attention throughout the story. Towards the end, I thought we were heading towards a potential alien invasion as the pay off, but the story had a much less "pat" ending I'm glad to say.

THE STAR - almost like a modern disaster movie, or the opening scenes of
Sheldon
May 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Decent collection of short stories and novellas. The two novellas, A Story of the Stone Age, and A Story of the Days to Come were my favourite of the collection, both excellent and interesting.
Esther King
Aug 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Wells has such an inimitable style, and this collection is no exception. Again, however, it lacks a little of the pizazz that his other work has, and I hoped for a little more from it. The stories are good, but nothing too special- I think they just needed a little more from them. With that said, they’re by no means bad- they’re just not enough.
Manjot Singh

The story of the stone age 3/5
The story of the days to come 3/5
Ken Doggett
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of five short stories by H. G. Wells, and for the most part they're probably among his best. No real clunkers here, and they all showcase Wells's fertile imagination. "The Crystal Egg" gives a glimpse into a fascinating world of aliens but never enters that world. In a precursive, Twilight-Zone-esque style, the final conclusion is left up to the reader. "The Star" describes the passing of a wandering star into our solar system, as told from the perspective of early-twentieth ...more
John Majerle
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm starting to enjoy reading science fiction short stories from 1895. Of course Victorian science fiction authors get many predictions wrong but then again modern day authors have the same problem so I try not to let that get in the way of a good story.

With this particular anthology, Wells makes the case that humanity is much the same across time: distance past, present, and future. Superficially we will wear different clothing, pursuing different ways of making a living, etc. But at a fundamen
Riddhiman
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is sort of a mixed bag consisting of 3 short stories and 2 novellas. The first story 'The Crystal Egg' is an imaginative science fiction. The next one is a disaster genre story depicting the collision of an asteroid with earth. The two novellas or tales that follow are based on stone age and a fictionalized distant future respectively. They are good in parts but drag at times. The book ends with a brilliant magical realist short story 'The Man Who Could Work Miracles'. This is clearly the b ...more
Vaiva Sapetkaitė
It is interesting to see how people from the past imagined the future. You get a feeling that many alternative scenarios could have evolved and we live just in one of them :)
And, you know, science can be quite entertaining :))
Rick
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Some interesting stories that span humanity's dawn in prehistory (with a suite of tales) to a novella set in the future that deals with class struggle and social commentary.
Sam
May 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of vivid and descriptive tales that takes you to the ends of the universe and to the beginning and end of time. Wells has created (and recreated) different places within the universe and takes the reader back to man's beginning and forward to a world within the city limits.

The Crystal Egg - this tale follows Mr Cave as he becomes obsessed with a crystal egg he picked up, which allows some to view other worlds and their inhabitants. But as his obsession grows, so does the mal
SierraKiloBravo
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Link to my review: https://sierrakilobravo.wordpress.com...

On my iPad I use an app called Aldiko for my ebooks. Along with the app came a number of free books, and among them was Tales of Space and Time by H.G. Wells, published in 1899. I’ve read a number of science fiction books from the 1800s and early 1900s, but had never come across this one so loaded it up.

It is a collection of three short stories, and two novellas. Apart from the first two short stories that had a wonderful Jules Verne fee
Al Lock
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Despite its age, this is an excellent little collection. It consists of 5 stories. The Crystal Egg is a story about a device that lets someone observe somewhere else. Sort of an interplanetary CCTV camera. The Star is about a near miss of an interplanetary body, a star, which is a sort of a disaster story but is much too conservative (pretty sure if what is described actually happened, the Earth would be no more). The next two stories are linked - A Story of the Stone Age is a bit of historical ...more
Amanda
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tony
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it
The Crystal Egg
Delightful mostly low key sci-fi that feels like it must have been way ahead of its time. My only issue is it feels like the intriguing start of something.

The Star
Peppered with some dodgy of the period racism and sexism but a stunning imagining of an object giving us a near pass.

A Story of the Stone Age
Interminable caveman story with all the problematic issues of the time but also some bloody awful storytelling.

A Story of Days to Come
Quite fun for the speculations at the future -
Kevin Gøhler
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Short stories, of varying quality and lenght. I'm always amazed, reading old science fiction, how clever the author have been, and what foresight they have had - while at the same time lacking any kind of imagination, in relation to certain aspects of life/society. That is, of course, easy to see in retrospect. 😊 Worth a read, but it might not be equally exciting all the way through.
Sara Best
I enjoyed some stories more than others. I especially liked 'A Story of the Days to Come' as it gave a very interesting interpretation of what the future would be like. It is set ahead of our time but with enough insight to extrapolate what he imagined our times would have been like.
Karen Roth
Aug 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Do not expect this to be about astrophysics!
I sadly expected a science based mystical dream and this is more of a Jane Eryeish novel.
OK if you know what you are getting into, but the title is nothing to the plotline persa!
Anandu KP
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's a nice science fiction novel. But the unexpected ending of this title makes the reader wanting more... But overall, it's a nice book read. And the different environment details given will surely ignite the imagination of the reader.
James
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another good and entertaining eclectic mix of Wells' short stories.
Sabrina Way
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
short interesting read
Wayne
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great classic stories that set the stage for future works by many speculative fiction authors.
Jeff Thomas
Mar 06, 2018 rated it liked it
obviously a bit dated, but still compelling stories, interesting concepts, well-developed characters. Fun.
Lgerd
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
The tale of the unfortunate couple was dreadfully boring.
Sean Leas
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
A nice little grab bag of Well's short stories, my favorite by far was "A Story of the Stone Age", such an interesting adventure into early mankind.
Ray Rogawski
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding!
Vincent Konrad
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Just, like, whatever
Obby
Apr 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's amazing what a mind HG Wells had.
Lexxy
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Strong believer in reading the classics. Love to analyze the writing style.
Bex
Apr 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Well written, but A Story of the Stone Age, and A Story of the Days to Come did nothing for me at all. Certainly though, Wells was a man ahead of his time.

• In the Year 2889
  • Uncle Vanya
  • The Voyage Out
  • Leon & Juliette
  • Technopoly: The Surrender of Culture to Technology
  • Perceptual Intelligence: The Brain's Secret to Seeing Past Illusion, Misperception, and Self-Deception
  • 門:夏目漱石反自然主義代表作: (全新譯本,中文世界最完整譯注,夏目漱石人生三部曲之三) (Traditional Chinese Edition)
  • Snowpiercer - The Prequel: Extinction
  • All in the Mind
  • City of Bones: The Official Illustrated Movie Companion
  • The Fall of the Readers (The Forbidden Library, #4)
  • Out of the Silence: After the Crash
  • Unscripted: Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Entrepreneurship
  • 暖和和手套國
  • The Last God (2019) #1
  • Batman: Three Jokers (2020-) #1
  • Disconnected: How to Protect Your Kids from the Harmful Effects of Device Dependency
  • The Little Snake
Herbert George Wells was born to a working class family in Kent, England. Young Wells received a spotty education, interrupted by several illnesses and family difficulties, and became a draper's apprentice as a teenager. The headmaster of Midhurst Grammar School, where he had spent a year, arranged for him to return as an "usher," or student teacher. Wells earned a government scholarship in 1884, ...more