Start by marking “Mindhunter: Inside the FBI's Elite Serial Crime Unit” as Want to Read:
Mindhunter: Inside the FBI's Elite Serial Crime Unit

Mindhunter: Inside the FBI's Elite Serial Crime Unit

(Mindhunter #1)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  21,143 ratings  ·  1,486 reviews
Discover the classic, behind-the-scenes chronicle of John E. Douglas’ twenty-five-year career in the FBI Investigative Support Unit, where he used psychological profiling to delve into the minds of the country’s most notorious serial killers and criminals—the basis for the upcoming Netflix original series.

In chilling detail, the legendary Mindhunter takes us behind the sce
Published October 24th 2017 by Pocket Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Mindhunter, please sign up.
Robert Narojek I think that it will be boring for you, so maybe watch the NETFLIX TV series with the same title. I found it interesting and engaging. In the book you…moreI think that it will be boring for you, so maybe watch the NETFLIX TV series with the same title. I found it interesting and engaging. In the book you find only praise of the ex FBI boy :((less)

·  21,143 ratings  ·  1,486 reviews

Ana O
WARNING: LOOK AWAY IF YOU DON'T LIKE FBI AGENTS/SERIAL KILLERS/SUBURBAN WHITE GIRLS TALKING ABOUT FBI AGENTS/SERIAL KILLERS.

I bought an obscene amount of romance novels this summer. How many have I read? Precisely none!

congratulations

My love affair with certain genres, romance in particular, has diminished over the years. I've outgrown it, so to speak. I can't believe it's come to this, but according to my friend, that just means I need to broaden my horizons.

What have I got left? True crime, apparently. Fo
Lightreads
So John Douglas is great when he’s talking about serial rape and child murder, and then he’s intensely obnoxious when he’s talking about anything else. So I guess it’s a good thing he mostly talks about rape and murder?

And when I say “John Douglas,” by the way, I mean John Douglas or his co/ghost writer, because who knows who wrote what. All I know is when this book talks about crime, it’s focused and intelligent and compassionate. And when it’s talking about anything else – the FBI, his home li
Kemper
This review is going to be as much about comparing it to the new Netflix series as it is the book itself. You have been warned.

John Douglas was a FBI agent who spent most of his career working for its Behavioral Science Unit. Along with other agents Douglas interviewed a wide variety of violent offenders including such notorious figures as Charles Manson, Richard Speck, and David Berkowitz, and then he tried to apply what they learned to develop criminal profiles of active unsolved cases. If you
Johann (jobis89)
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Behavior reflects personality. The best indicator of future violence is past violence. To understand the "artist", you must study his "art". The crime must be evaluated in its totality. There is no substitute for experience, and if you want to understand the criminal mind, you must go directly to the source and learn to decipher what he tells you. And, above all: Why + How = Who.”

Special Agent John Douglas is the man who helped usher in a new age in behavioural science and criminal profiling. W
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Os Monstros da Vida Real

Nós os humanos vimos geneticamente apetrechados com uma panóplia de sentimentos ditos negativos, que arruinam a paz alheia, bem como a de quem os pratica:
A raiva, a inveja, o ciúme, o ódio e seus acólitos são belicosos e tendem a ser mortais em casos extremos.

Porém, esse grupo de sentimentos malignos, coexiste com um outro constituído apenas por benignos:
O amor, a compaixão, a empatia, a compreensão e seus afins, são os bons que interagem com os maus numa luta intemporal,
✨    jamieson   ✨
the mindhunter tv show on netflix has literally both made and ruined my life
i have so much uni work but all i can do is watch netflix

listen buzzfeed unsolves: true crime JUST ended and mindhunter comes into my life? its like the universe is enabling my true crime interests

naturally i have to further destroy my life and read the book
Wendy'sThoughts
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Serial Killer series
A Heads Up for the New Netflix Series, Mindhunter
* * * * * Spoiler Free-Update- Netflix picked up this series and it looks like a possible November 2018 date for Season 2.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am always looking for something to catch my interest... and from the start Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris did it for me back in the day... I read the book and was stunned... and then the movie came out.

It captured the feel of the book for me in so many ways. The all star cast of Jodie Foster, Anthony Hop
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Think Like One and Get Them

What's that "thing" that thinks like a criminal, walks like a criminal, talks like a criminal, but doesn't act like a criminal (hopefully)?

????????????????

???????????????

???????????????

It's an FBI Criminal Profiler, what else?!... ;)

GREAT BOOK :)

P.S.: as you all noticed, the "walk like a criminal" and "talk like a criminal" were perfectly superfluous and irrelevant sentences, but they must be there for flavour and make the guessing game slightly challenging ;) :)
Gary
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I purchased this book recently having read the rave reviews received for the series of the same name on Netflix. I am an avid thriller reader and fascinated by most things related to crime so found this account by John Edward Douglas who is a former United States Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) agent and one of the first criminal profilers a very informative read. He recounts some of the cases he has dealt with, many of which are house old names such as Charles Manson and Ted Bundy and giv ...more
Sara
When I started sixth form college to begin my A levels I had this strange idea that psychology would be amazing, and I'd get to learn all about the criminal mind and my inner self. Funnily enough, after a week I realised it wasn't about this at all and I transferred to Geography instead (wise decision).

I discovered this book, like most people at the moment, via the Netflix show of the same name, which I loved. And this book was similar in that it gave me everything I hoped I'd get out of that c
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How To Be A Criminal Profiler

Imagine yourself thinking like a criminal!
The moment you'll start doing it, it's like grabbing the key to the safe where he hides all his secret, devilish plans.
You're gonna know where the hell he'll be next and what the f*** he'll be doing. And you could use that valuable information to get near enough to help him burn in his own flames, or, if you prefer a more succint, concise sentence, you'll have all it takes for a quite functional setup.

So the question is, how
Paul
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Whew, a thoroughly taxing, but absorbing read. Certainly a lot of information to be processed, and most of it not very pleasant. John Douglas relates in an almost casual, understated style his lifelong hunt for serial killers, kidnappers and rapists. Chilling and consuming, it provides some sharp insight into not only deviant behaviour, but human nature itself.

Douglas is one of the fathers of modern day profiling. He was the model for Jack Crawford in The Silence of the Lambs. He interviewed and
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Ok, this is pure wow. The fact that the author doesn't adopt the 'holier than thou stance' so common with law enforcement makes this an extremely enjoyable as well as worthwhile read.
Q:
In high school, I was already six foot two, which I used to my advantage. Talent-wise, we were a so-so team in a good league, and I knew it was up to the pitcher to try to be a field leader and set a winning tone. I had pretty good control for a high schooler, but I decided not to let the opposing batters know thi
Rebecca McNutt
This is probably the true crime novel of all true crime novels, the one every fan of this genre should add to the top of their reading list. Mindhunter covers the story of several infamous criminals from "The Killer Clown" (John Wayne Gacy), to the pseudohippie Charles Manson. It was detailed, well-written and it shows how this crime until brought these criminals and many more to justice.
Jaya
Wow!!!
This was insanely fascinating. As a kid I used to watch Medical Detectives a series on Discovery channel which would re-enact a few of the true crimes and how the perpetrators were caught owning to forensic proofs and other tactics of solving them, primary among them would be "profiling" the perpetrator (s). The various kinds and number of cases that Douglas discusses in this book is somewhat alarming. If one is to consider the sheer amount crimes that happens across the world on a single
Diane
May 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction-crime
John was one of the first agents to put together the skill of 'profiling' a crime in order to aid in catching the criminal that committed it. Very interesting stuff, and logical, too. You would think that cops, and others, would have 'seen' these patterns themselves. Maybe they did. But when the FBI moved the idea from a vague 'voodoo' kind of input to an actual crime solving tool, things began to gel into a fantastic weapon against killers/rapists/etc.

Concise writing made the book easy to read,
Bel Rodrigues
Quando John está falando sobre criminologia e serial killers, ele fala de forma primorosa. Aborda assuntos e explana casos que resolveu enquanto trabalhava para o FBI, ou seja, o cara sabe do que tá falando. O meu problema com a narrativa começou quando ele precisava, em todo caso citado, falar do quão bom ele é (e de como ele mudou a história do FBI), srsly, qual a necessidade de afirmar e REAFIRMAR isso durante boa parte do livro? Qualquer pessoa, lendo o que ele estava escrevendo, notaria a g ...more
Michael
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is no secret that I am a fan of crime and thriller reads and am as fascinated as the next man as to what makes a murderer tick. One of those who took that very interest to the extreme was former FBI agent and criminal profiler John Edward Douglas. Over a 25 year career, he would encounter some of America's most dangerous individuals including Ted Bundy, Ed Kemper, Charles Manson, Richard Speck, and David Berkowitz to name a few. His conversations would provide an unsettling look into the mind ...more
Raquel Moritz
John Douglas e seu colega Robert Ressler foram as pedras fundamentais da análise comportamental como ferramenta de investigação do FBI e, por esse pioneirismo, a leitura é válida, mas é claro que outros livros, filmes e séries já abordaram o tema em mais detalhes após a publicação dessa obra (original de 1995). Recomendado pra quem curte o tema e está começando a ler mais sobre o assunto, e também pra quem quer um complemento da série da Netflix.
Steve Kemp
Jun 28, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
John Douglas has one hell of an ego on him that is for sure ! He loves to take a lot of credit that is due a different person. Same goes for all of his other books. Usually some good stuff in his books ,but you have to wade through the ocean of bullshit to get to it.
Cheese
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok so I’m obviously late to the party on this, 20 years late.

Like most people I heard about this after watching the Netflix show of the same name, directed by David Fincher (Se7en, Fight Club, Gone Girl and Zodiac). I really enjoyed the show and so I thought I’d give the book a go, to see how the facts match up from the show. Answer is the show is very accurate in most of it.

Before we start - This book is non-fiction and they based the movie Silence of the lambs from some of their work. So the b
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
This review and others can be found on BW Book Reviews.

I think a fun fact about me is that the first time I ever contemplated being a psychologist (of any type, too) was when I started getting into serial killers. God, I was such a nerd about serial killer facts. I could tell you all about Ted Bundy’s upbringing, John Wayne Gacy’s crimes, Jeffrey Dahmer’s near miss with the police. I wanted to be a criminal psychologist. I wanted to be a profiler.

Now, I see what John Douglas does as a whole bunc
Maureen
Jun 05, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one in particular
Recommended to Maureen by: research
Shelves: crime
I must say, this book is a mixed bag. The story of the development of criminal profiling is certainly an interesting one, but I don't believe that Mr. Douglas deserves quite as much credit as he is willing to give himself. He also freely characterizes the killers in this book as monsters. Having worked with a number of this kind of person, I tend to see them more as broken human beings who deserve to be punished. The "monster" epithet implies that society has no responsibility in the way these k ...more
Miz
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a fan of criminal behaviour studies and of the literature surrounding it (including Silence of the Lands and Criminal Minds), this was a fascinating read for me. I did feel like it read as a bit boastful but if I had set the department up then maybe I would boast about it :)

I want to know when this type of profiling DOESN'T work, but also more modern cases. Sequel please :)
Terri
May 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. John Douglas was one of the original profilers in the FBI and spent a lot of time interviewing these criminals and studying them. As well as getting gravely ill while working on the Green River Case. I think it would be really hard to separate from the evil they see.
Claudia
Tenho de começar com esta passagem.

"Perguntam-nos por que razão é o crime real tão empolgante para os leitores espectadores... Cremos que a reposta é que, pela sua própria natureza, o crime real lida com a essência e com os fundamentos daquilo a que de forma arrogante chamamos . Ou seja, os instintos e as emoções que todos sentimos: amor, ódio, ciúme, vingança, ambição, lascívia, alegria e tristeza, terror, desilusão, desespero e sentimentos de grandiosidade e de legitimidade pessoal... em muit
Alex Hawkey
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is written buy one of the FBI's top profiles, John Douglas. The man has worked on the cases that are world renowned for being some of the most psychotic killings to date. He has researched killers and rapists, helped police officers catch the most dangerous of criminals, and taught local law enforcement how to pick out the warning signs of chronic offenders and dangerous people. This book tells of his life and how he came to be the man that would one day be the inspiration for Jack Cra ...more
Passenger B.
I found this to be a surprisingly drawn out and narcissistic book.
For the first ca. 100 pages (in my edition) the author continued to talk about his childhood, college years, dating history, his countless brushes with the law and how well he could lie and manipulate others (there's someone you'd trust to be an FBI agent) and all of his more or less impressive achievements. The grandiosity was a bit much to stomach at times and I got the impression he just loves to hear himself talk, especially
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: four-star
An interesting autobiographical type book detailing the authors career in the then new speciality of criminal profiling.

This was an intriguing and detailed read as the author examines how profiling is developed and used to study the most depraved crimes. Notes are made of more notorious crimes and criminals and many more that are less well known but equally important nonetheless.

Much of the writing is technical but still relatively easy to digest. As a reader from the UK, I found it particularl
Cata
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, não-ficção
As primeiras páginas são uma seca,focando-se demasiado na vida pessoal do autor.
A partir do momento em que conhecemos os casos, os assassinos, como foram apanhados e a contribuição que deram ao FBI o livro melhora imenso
  • Dark Dreams: Sexual Violence, Homicide and the Criminal Mind
  • I Have Lived in the Monster: Inside the Minds of the World's Most Notorious Serial Killers
  • The Evil That Men Do: FBI Profiler Roy Hazelwood's Journey into the Minds of Serial Killers
  • The Casebook of Forensic Detection: How Science Solved 100 of the World's Most Baffling Crimes
  • Special Agent: My Life On the Front Lines as a Woman in the FBI
  • Signature Killers
  • The Restless Sleep: Inside New York City's Cold Case Squad
  • The Unknown Darkness: Profiling the Predators Among Us
  • Profilers: Leading Investigators Take You Inside The Criminal Mind
  • Hunting Humans: The Rise of the Modern Multiple Murderer
  • My Life Among the Serial Killers: Inside the Minds of the World's Most Notorious Murderers
  • Depraved: The Definitive True Story of H.H. Holmes, Whose Grotesque Crimes Shattered Turn-Of-The-Century Chicago
  • Female Serial Killers: How and Why Women Become Monsters
  • Between Good and Evil: A Master Profiler's Hunt for Society's Most Violent Predators
  • Inside the Criminal Mind
  • What Cops Know
  • What the Corpse Revealed
  • No Stone Unturned: The True Story of the World's Premier Forensic Investigators
During his twenty-five year career with the FBI’s Behavioral Science Unit, a name he later changed to The Investigative Science Unit (Douglas & Olshaker, 1995). John Douglas became the leading expert on criminal personality profiling and the pioneer of modern criminal investigative analysis. Through his research with serial criminal’s, Douglas learned how criminals think and what makes them do ...more

Mindhunter (2 books)
  • Journey Into Darkness (Mindhunter #2)
“Behavior reflects personality.” 9 likes
“One of the first things every trainee is taught is that an FBI agent only shoots to kill. The thinking that went into this policy is both rigorous and logical: if you draw your weapon, you have already made the decision to shoot. And if you have made the decision that the situation is serious enough to warrant shooting, you have decided it is serious enough to take a life.” 4 likes