Start by marking “Knights vs. Dinosaurs” as Want to Read:
Knights vs. Dinosaurs

Knights vs. Dinosaurs

Renowned for their courage, their chivalry, and their ability to fight mythical creatures, the Knights of the Round Table must face their most dangerous opponents yet—DINOSAURS!

This heavily illustrated middle grade novel from award-winning author and artist Matt Phelan is a hilarious, rip-roaring tale of derring-do perfect for reluctant readers and fans of How to Train You
Published October 23rd 2018 by Greenwillow

To ask other readers questions about Knights vs. Dinosaurs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knights vs. Dinosaurs

DaNae
Magic Tree House on steroids.
Kris Springer
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Clever and perfect for grades 2-6. Adventure and camaraderie galore, with terrible lizards and much humor. Read this with my son.
Amanda Harrison
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Imagine combining Knights of the Round Table, dinosaurs, and Magic Tree House and you will end up with this eminently readable action novel by Matt Phelan.

Writing notes: While the format and subject matter are going to likely appeal to reluctant readers, the 'knightly' writing style (while enjoyable and not over done) is going to be a bit more challenging than the format suggests.

However, your students who are heavy superhero comic readers may not be as put off as you might suggest and will lik
Stephanie
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was 100% the perfect book for me to share with my 10-year-old. Four knights from King Arthur's court (one of them the mysteriously silent Black Knight and the other three massively boastful but useless) get sent back to dinosaur times by Merlin to teach them all a lesson - and the results are genuinely hilarious. The book is full of fantastic dinosaur/knight action sequences that had both of us laughing like mad, along with surprising sweetness in the development of a real created family. T ...more
Martha
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading this swashbuckling adventure of knights of the round table battling instead of dragons, surprise dinosaurs! After the knights gather to report to King Arthur their brave feats, especially the 40 dragons Sir Erec reported vanquishing, Merlin dangles a quest. The quest is to slay the Terrible Lizard. Instantly regretting his bragging, Sir Erec has no choice but to accept. Of course all of the other knights compete for this challenge too, and thus begins the expedition to fi ...more
Tasha
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
King Arthur’s Knights of the Round Table love to tell tall tales of their adventures, but they are all lies. There just aren’t enough mythical beasts for them to battle. When Sir Erec brags that he’d slain forty dragons, he knew that he’d pushed the storytelling too far. It caught Merlin’s attention and Merlin suggested that Sir Erec, Sir Bors, Sir Hector and the Black Knight explore one particular cave. As they did so, along with Bors’ brave squire, they are transported back in time to when din ...more
Lynn
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Absurd fun for the 2nd-5th set and kids looking for short chapter books. Kids will love being on the inside of the joke and knowing more than the knights!

In King Arthur's court, the bored knights mostly fight among themselves or invent battles to boast about because real battles are pretty scarce. When Erec carries the exaggeration a bit too far, Merlin challenges him to take on a "terrible lizard" and some of his fellow knights join in the quest. Merlin send the unsuspecting group back to a tim
Mary
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
As you can tell from the 4 stars I gave this book, I really enjoyed it! It was fast-paced, funny, and filled with Phelan's quiet and amazing illustrations. This books follows four knights of Sir Arthur's Round Table on a quest to defeat a terrible monster. Merlin sends these four knights, and squire Mel, to a time when dinosaurs roamed. We see many different dinosaurs, some which lived at different times, but Merlin explains at the end that this was done to add more excitement. An underlining po ...more
Melanie Dulaney
What a great book for the 3rd through 6th grade crowd, especially for those wanting (or requiring) a shorter chapter book. Knights vs. Dinosaurs offers plenty of excellent black and drawings to augment the exciting tale of 4 knights and a squire off to slay dragons, ah, terrible lizards, making it a promising pick for the reluctant to read students. Terrific tale for those who enjoy action-adventure, a bit of magic, and plenty of clashing weaponry but without a bunch of blood and gore. Readers o ...more
Becky B
Sir Erec joins in the required boasting of King Arthur's knights of the round table saying he vanquished 40 dragons. Merlin, seeming to want some fun, tells Sir Erec that there's a cave he knows of with many terrible lizards in it. Sir Erec has to take the quest. Three more knights can't resist joining the fun and one drags along his squire. Upon reaching the cave the company just finds a book, but after one of the knights opens it, they find that the entrance to the cave no longer looks out on ...more
Travis
I was expecting a bit more of a graphic novel with this, since I learned about it through one of those recommendation emails from goodreads after reviewing Phelan's Snow White . Instead it is a sort of hybrid, mostly a novel, but with many illustrations, and sometimes the illustrations take over and we have full sequential art mode (i.e., a comic). Nothing wrong with that, it was just a bit odd.

The story is rather ridiculous but generally fun. However, it is sort of generic in many ways, and bu
Jillian Anderson
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Elaine
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: soyamrg
After some exaggerated boasts, Merlin the wizard sends bragging knights & their squires into a cave in order to fight “the terrible lizard.” The knights soon find themselves in a world of dinosaurs, both small and chicken-like and enormous and monstrous. The knights’ true selves are exposed under these new and unknown circumstances. One is female, as is one of the squires. Sir Bors is really quite strong (he fist fights a T Rex), but also cares for his squire. The knights fight the dinosaurs ...more
Chris
Four knights from King Arthur's court get sent back to dinosaur times by Merlin to teach them all a lesson in honesty and humility. There is boastful Sir Erec, boorish Sir Bors, bookish Sir Hector, and the silent Black Knight along with Squire Mel. Once the knights encounter the dinosaurs, the action is non-stop as the knights do battle with various dinosaurs that readers will recognize from the descriptions and illustrations and finally the terrible lizard himself – tyrannosaurus rex!

While I lo
Lynn
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Knights vs. Dinosaurs may be just the book to rekindle interest in either of these topics for middle elementary or readers transitioning to chapter books. The first chapter could be a little slow if they don’t know much about Camelot.
After Merlin challenges four bragging knights, they find themselves mysteriously transported to a strange place. Along with their confusion at this, battles with creatures they’ve never seen before, and the surprise of finding out one of the knights is a girl, th
Paul  Hankins
When the bravado of one knight gets the better of him at the Round Table, a new story of daring and danger unfolds.

No spoilers here, but friends in the business will really want to think through who this book is for by way of recommending and for independent reading.

Journey back to Camelot in this humorous story of a group of knights challenged by Merlin to seek out the most terrible lizard of them all.

The mix of text, illustrations, and graphic novel/panel inserts make for a fluid reading of
Bethany
This splendidly illustrated, high-octane blend of dinosaurs, knights, and adventure was a huge hit with my 4 & 6 year olds. It's the first chapter book they've ever been willing to sit through--largely because the illustrations kept their attention on the page. (The dinosaurs and swords didn't hurt, either.)

The twist with the Black Knight was both obvious and awesome, and the slow development of teamwork was a good lesson for young readers.

Six big thumbs up!
Amy
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
I picked up this book thinking it would be an excellent read aloud for my 6-year old and after the first chapter, he lost interest and didn't want to come back to it. This is a book that should appeal in every way to children...knights, dinosaurs, battles, etc. but instead everything falls flat and seems awkward. I finished the book but quite frankly, I found it difficult to get through and was bored. Disappointment!
Meredith
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Hmm ... this didn't work for me, but I'm 44 and not into battle descriptions. Would it work for my students? They do like action, and I do like when books are shorter than 200 pages, because they're more likely to read them. But knights aren't that popular. May or may not put on order list. Lots of good vocabulary.
Lora
A fun book for all ages, I spent an hour or so on it and I read slower these days. I would have got this for my kids if it'd been around when they were little. A great story with a point to it, humor, character development, time travel (sort of), and dinosaurs! Loved the rough-sketched art, too. The whole thing was fast and whimsical.
Robin
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's fun to read well-written children's fiction like this and when I saw that Matt Phelan had a new one, I requested the ARC but didn't get to it before the book was published. Just finished it and I can't wait to give this book to a child reader at the library. The plot? Knights of the Round Table battle dinosaurs! What more could you ask for?!
Erin
I love this take on King Arthur's knights and their adventures. To address the rampant bragging going on at the round table, Merlin sends a few of the knights on a thrilling quest. These knights (and one squire) find themselves battling dinosaurs, learning lessons, breaking down assumptions, and learning to work together. It's super fun and funny. Quite delightful.
Pam
Nov 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grades
Humor in each chapter of this story. Four knights are challenged by Merlin after the bragging gets out of hand at court. They need to face the Terrible Lizards. His magic takes them to the time of dinosaurs and they learn to work together to survive.
Middle grades will enjoy the story and the illustrations.
Mikey Golczynski
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great way book for children into Arthurian lore. It’s pure, ridiculous fun. The author knows it’s ridiculous, we know it’s ridiculous and highly inaccurate, but who cares? Bad ass knights fight dinosaurs, you don’t need anything else.
Marya
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-lit
The illustrations are perfect, but I can't figure out if that's because they have a comics panel quality to them, or because they are revealed to be drawn by a slightly peeved owl.

That, plus the title, pretty much sums up the story. What a delight!
Jamie
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, b-b, children-s
Just plain good fun and pretty much what the title sounds like... but sneaks in some themes about teamwork, boasting, and having a proper awe for nature's creations. A quick read, but requires a good vocabulary and some background knowledge.
Melissa Mcavoy
Humorous, illustrated fiction: several of King Arthur's Knights are sent on a quest by Merlin. When they wind up visiting a land in which dinosaurs still roam they must adapt. Fast paced, battle rich fun with a few twists.
Meag McKeron
Nov 09, 2018 rated it liked it
A solid adventure tale, with plenty of humor thrown in, too. The combination of text and graphics make it a good choice for kids who are reluctant to put down the graphic novels - all of the action should still hold their interest!
Miss Sarah
Jan 15, 2019 rated it liked it
A chapter book about knights of the roundtable setting out on an expidition by the wizard Merlin. What they encounter is like nothing they have ever seen, Twists and turns beasts that with a few surprises. Elementary age
Munro's Kids
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was completely ridiculous, but lots of fun. King Arthur's knights don't have enough to do, so spend too much of their time fighting each other and lying about all the dragons they've slain. An annoyed Merlin decides to teach them a lesson and sends them on a quest... to fight dinosaurs! Sillyness abounds as the knights bicker, reveal hidden identities, and eventually team up to brawl all your famous dinosaurs (I appreciated the afterward which acknowledged that these dinosaurs did not actua ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Matt Phelan made his illustrating debut with Betty G. Birney’s The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs (Atheneum/Simon & Schuster). Since then he has illustrated many picture books and novels for young readers, including Where I Live by Eileen Spinelli (Dial), Very Hairy Bear by Alice Schertle (Harcourt), and The Higher Power of Lucky by Susan Patron (Simon & Schuster) winner of the 2007 Ne ...more