Start by marking “Aru Shah and the End of Time (Pandava Quartet, #1)” as Want to Read:
Aru Shah and the End of Time (Pandava Quartet, #1)

Aru Shah and the End of Time

(Pandava Quartet #1)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  5,809 ratings  ·  1,409 reviews
Twelve-year-old Aru Shah has a tendency to stretch the truth in order to fit in at school. While her classmates are jetting off to family vacations in exotic locales, she'll be spending her autumn break at home, in the Museum of Ancient Indian Art and Culture, waiting for her mom to return from their latest archeological trip. Is it any wonder that Aru makes up stories abo ...more
Published March 27th 2018 by Disney/Rick Riordan Presents

To ask other readers questions about Aru Shah and the End of Time, please sign up.
Tharini There's Hanuman and Urvashi, and Indra and Yama make a brief appearance as well! The book is about Aru Shah and her quest to save the world, so…moreThere's Hanuman and Urvashi, and Indra and Yama make a brief appearance as well! The book is about Aru Shah and her quest to save the world, so although it weaves together a lot of Indian mythology (especially regarding the Pandavas), the novel itself is entirely from Chokshi's imagination.(less)
Megan No, these are separate from the Riordan verse as said by Rick himself.
"These are original stories generated by…more
No, these are separate from the Riordan verse as said by Rick himself.
"These are original stories generated by the authors – their intellectual property, told their way, with their characters and their sense of humor. The worlds they create are their own. They are not extensions of Percy Jackson’s world."(less)

Rick Riordan
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever read a book and thought, "Wow, I wish I'd written that!"?

For me, Aru Shah and the End of Time is one of those books. It has everything I like: humor, action, great characters and, of course, awesome mythology! But this is not a book I could have written. I just don't have the expertise or the insider's knowledge to tackle the huge incredible world of Hindu mythology, much less make it so fun and reader-friendly.

Fortunately for all of us, Roshani Chokshi does.

If you are not familia
شيماء ✨
🌟 full review now posted here! 🌟

Can we just take a moment to appreciate the fact that Rick Riordan has apparently gotten tons of letters asking him to, "please write about Indian mythology! do the Maya mythology next!" and he was like, "those aren't my stories to tell but let me find you own voices writers who CAN write these books for you so you get to see your culture represented and valued too!" and now this good dude is heading up his own imprint of more mythology books for kids and using hi
Lola
This book is trying too hard.

I never managed to truly and effectively get a full sense of Aru Shah’s personality, because the voice of the author is far more present and loud.

And still, somehow, I managed to dislike Aru. She made me cringe so many times that at some point I was questioning if I was this annoying at the age of twelve. I don’t think I thought about picking my nose every day like Aru does.

It is somewhat interesting from start to finish, that I will admit. The mythology spiked my
Cait • A Page with a View
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-arcs
Oh, I loved this. Middle grade books are usually hit or miss with me, but this one was such a fun adventure.

Aru lives with her mother above the Museum of Ancient Indian Art and Culture. One day when she lights the Lamp of Bharata, the Sleeper is freed and everyone around her is frozen in time. Only one of the 5 Pandava brothers (from the Mahabharata) could light the lamp, so Aru's new pigeon guardian informs her she is a child of the gods and must now go on a quest to save the world. Her Pandava
Roshani Chokshi
Apr 25, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Hi guys! I got to sit down with Rick a couple weeks ago and talk about ARU! If you're interested in watching our interview, here's the link! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptmt1...

~*~*~*~

ARU SHAH AND THE END OF TIME has a cover! And a longer excerpt! I hope you guys enjoy <3 I've been dreaming of writing this story for eons...now there's only 6 months left until it's out in the world! I'll be hosting giveaways in the upcoming months, so if you're inter
kav (xreadingsolacex)
Disclaimer: I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This is no way impacts my review.

Aru Shah and the End of the Time is a middle-grade fantasy novel based off of Hindu mythology, following a 12-year old girl, Aru Shah, who finds out she is a reincarnation of one of the five Pandava brothers and essentially has to change the world.

If 12-year old me had had the ability to read a book like this, maybe I wouldn't have been ashamed of my heritage growing up because soc
Ashley Nuckles
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars! This was super cute and had all the Rick Riordan nuances I could have ever wanted! I loooove the humor in this book and I’m SO excited for the next ones!
C.G. Drews
This was absolutely EVERYTHING I hoped it would be! Just afjdklsd forget how old I am for a second: I love love love the Percy Jackson books. (Except for you, Mr. Burning Maze. Go fix all your typos because That Character definitely did not die. I am in denial.) I go to Riordan stories for (a) humour, (b) loveable adorkable characters, and (c) epic mythology but with an absurdist and cleverly witty twist. And what did Aru Shah do?!

ALL OF THAT. Perfectly.

Since this is a Riordan imprint, I just wa
Hamad
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 4.25 stars

*** Full review now posted ***

“Tales are slippery, her mother had often said. The truth of a story depends on who is telling it.”

Aru Shah and the End of Time is the kind of book that I would have killed for when I was younger. I mean it has the fast pacing just perfect for a middle grade book, a very good writing style, Indian mythology (How cool!) and a beautiful cover!!

Not only that, this book was hilarious, I was laughing out loud more than one time and if you know m
ambsreads
FIND MY REVIEW FOR ARU SHAH AND THE END OF TIME ON MY BLOG. CLICK HERE TO SEE MORE

I think I’ve made it pretty clear over time that I am a big fan of Rick Riordan. I love mythology and I love learning through his books. When Riordan announced that he was going to publish own voices authors take on mythology I was beyond excited. Aru Shah and the End of Time was no exception of this. I fell in love, fast. One reason was that it was a female lead, something we don’t typically see in Riordan’s work.
Scrill
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mg, fantasy
When three classmates show up at her home slash museum of Ancient Indian Art and Culture to confront Aru Shah about lying, she decides to impress them with stories of the artifacts in the museum. Such as the cursed Lamp of Bharata. Trying to save face, she lights the lamp and releases the Sleeper. Now Aru must stop the Sleeper from waking the God of Destruction, or everyone in the world will be frozen in time.

The Story-
First, let me just say, I loved this book. In the same thread as Rick Riordan
Vignesh Kumar
This is my latest favorite of this year!

It's so difficult to get a book with Indian characters, let alone a fantasy one. Along with Hindu mythology, it's unheard of. Thank the Gods and Goddesses, for Roshani Chokshi, is here.

I absolutely loved this book! I adored the characters, Aru and Mini. I love Mini even more than Aru. She is allergic to almost everything and has a freaking Epi-pen! It's so good to finally see a character who is truly a human today, not like the always-perfect characters i
Katie.dorny
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Okay for a middle grade/children’s book I absolutely fell in love with this.
Aru is a very imaginative girl who lives in an Indian museum. One day after making a bet Aru accidentally unleashes a demon god that has the capability to destroy the world. This book is how she stops him.
Along the way we meet Subala the pigeon (my personal favourite character) and Mini who is also gifted like Aru - the girls are Pandavas: reincarnations of famous Indian heroes with ancestors related to the gods.
This no
Taylor
"Suddenly, the world she thought she knew had opened up, as if stage curtains had been yanked back to show her that there was so much more than what she'd imagined. There was magic. Secrets crouched in the dark. Characters from stories, like the ones she'd been told all her life, were taking off their masks and saying, I was never a tale, but the truth."

...

Aru Shah and the End of Time was one of my most anticipated releases of 2018, and it didn't disappoint. Let me just get this out of the way:
Tanya Tate
May 23, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2018-and-beyond
" Percy Jackson meets Sailor Moon with Indian mythology"???

Ok!

Roshani wants my soul now!

You have me with Sailor Moon!
Paulo Ratz
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Esse livro é um lacre e eu fico feliz de ter lido com tanta antecedência ao lançamento, que só vai ser em 2018.
Colleen Houck
I love that Rick Riordan is inviting other authors to add to his mythological world. For all of you looking for more mythology of India, you'll want to pick this one up. So many gods and goddesses and demons and monsters. I love that Hanuman can grow super tall. So curious to see what's up with the boy next door we met at the end. Also, love the tiger and the seven headed horse!
Caden Armstrong
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book! This book is so inspiring and beautiful! Every page was like reading a dream. I wish I could have had this book when I was in middle school, and it brings me to tears of happiness when I think of young girls getting to read it now. I absolutely loved this book!
Alexa
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m really happy this imprint exists, and I’m really happy that ARU SHAH AND THE END OF TIME was its debut release! It was such a treat to read a story that has a similar vibe to Rick Riordan’s own work, but that also tackles a new mythology (Hindu) and also bears the unique voice and writing style of its author. I really liked Chokshi’s tale, particularly because of how accessible she made Hindu mythology and how compelling both of her main characters ended up being. Cannot wait for book two!
Merline
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a fun story and interesting mythology. Loved Aru, Mini, Boo and all the side characters. Can't wait to learn more about the other Pandava sisters and the Sleeper.
autumn
very very fun and cute!! this made me so nostalgic for the percy jackson series (of course) but in its own fun way. aru is an AMAZING main character, the definition of 'spunky' and 'hero.' the reason i rated it 4 stars was only because it seemed a little too immature and cutesy (although that might just be because it's been literal years since i've read or been in middle school). i can't wait to read the next books which promise to be even better!

representation: the premise of the story is hindu
Marta Álvarez
Me resultó muy interesante leer una historia basada en la mitología hindú, y más tratándose de una aventura middle grade, que ya sabéis que me pirran.

Tiene todos los ingredientes de las novelas de Riordan: padres celestiales, antiguos enemigos mitológicos, situaciones disparatadas, humor... pero siento que le faltaba algo; quizás, un poco más de madurez en la mezcla que se hace de todos esos ingredientes. O quizás fue el momento en el que lo leí.
Keerthana
Nov 11, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2018
Incarnation of Pandavas

I didn't know I was waiting for this kinda book until I read the summary. I'm extremely excited for this book but I know I shouldn't but

Also bonus to Aru because of spider-man PJs👍
AbigailHaleigh
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so fun! What a great start to a new series, and I love Aru and Mini so much. I can definitely see the Percy Jackson vibes, but Roshani made this book all her own. Can’t wait for book 2.
Coreen  (AsThePlotThickens)
Your father wears a cross beneath his shirt, an agimat necklace passed down from his family in the Philippines.

You dont how much this means to me; reading my culture in one of my most anticipated book.
Obsidian
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
The first book in a planned quartet by Roshani Chokshi. I thought this was wonderful and could see this being a life long favorite with children just like His Dark Materials and Harry Potter. Aru Shah is a heroine for the ages and I was so reluctant to put this book down. Not going to lie, there were a few rough spots here and there with flow and a few times I may have went, well this just seems like an obstacle to keep the story going. I loved the mythology, the characters, and the setting. Any ...more
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
This review can also be found on my blog!

For some reason, I always forget how much I enjoy middle-grade as a genre. They’re childish and fun, yet tackle difficult topics that come with becoming an adult. Yet, I just never automatically go to them and read them. I don’t know why!

But, I read and so enjoyed this one. It was fantastic.

Now, I never got into Riordan’s various series. I’ve tried multiple times and they’re not for me. But I am all for his publishing company! I love that he’s giving a pl
Kiara Maharaj
Apr 14, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I know this is gonna be one bad review in a million good reviews for this book, but I'm going to share my thoughts on it anyways. Reading this book, I was horrified. I wish I never read it. I put it down several times, but picked it up again because I wanted to see just how far the author will take it. Each page revealed a different atrocity. My last thought when I finished it was "This book needs to be off the shelves, now."

Basically, Valmiki is The Hipster on the Anthill, Hanuman is a big ape
Shivangi Yadav
Actual rating: 3.5

If you have ever read a Rick Riordan book, you know what to expect from that universe and Chokshi delivers that but her characters instead of being Greek Gods are reincarnated Hindu demi gods. Without giving the plot line away, let me say this is the most fun rewriting of Indian mythology that I have read.
The Pandavlings (only two till now) are on a quest to save the world from destruction and to find themselves in the process, the only problem is that they are only 12 years ol
Brenda Waworga
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"Heroine not Hero"

OH WOOOW! i am glad i gave this book a chance! middle Grade is so out of my comfortzone because i prefer YA and Adult but since i heard so many good reviews about this book on bookstagram and it also wrote by Roshani Chokshi and have Hindu Mythology story i knew i need to read it

This book is so magical, full with adventures and quests plus THE HUMOUR omfg i love it so much!! all the characters were annoying actually but the typical adorably annoying LOL like you saw your cut
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review - Aru Shah and the End of Time 1 2 Dec 14, 2018 06:39AM
Middle Grade Book...: No Spoilers 2 6 May 15, 2018 05:22PM
Fantastic Books a...: April 6 9 May 02, 2018 10:18AM
Middle Grade Book...: Spoliers!! 1 8 May 01, 2018 06:15AM
Roshani Chokshi is the New York Times bestselling author of The Star-Touched Queen and A CROWN OF WISHES. Her middle grade debut, ARU SHAH AND THE END OF TIME, released April 3, 2018 from Disney/Rick Riordan Presents. The sequel, ARU SHAH AND THE SONG OF DEATH is slated to release April 30, 2019. Her next young adult novel, THE GILDED WOLVES, is slated for January 15, 2019. Chokshi's work has appe ...more

Pandava Quartet (4 books)
  • Aru Shah and the Song of Death (Pandava Quartet, #2)
  • Untitled #3 (Pandava Quartet, #3)
  • Untitled #4 (Pandava Quartet, #4)
“It is not failure to fail.” 23 likes
“A particularly good book has a way of opening new spaces in one's mind. It even invited you to come back later and rummage through what you'd learn.” 18 likes