Start by marking “Aru Shah and the End of Time (Pandava Quartet, #1)” as Want to Read:
Aru Shah and the End of Time (Pandava Quartet, #1)

Aru Shah and the End of Time

(Pandava #1)

4.10  ·  Rating details ·  18,271 ratings  ·  3,289 reviews
Twelve-year-old Aru Shah has a tendency to stretch the truth in order to fit in at school. While her classmates are jetting off to family vacations in exotic locales, she'll be spending her autumn break at home, in the Museum of Ancient Indian Art and Culture, waiting for her mom to return from their latest archeological trip. Is it any wonder that Aru makes up stories abo ...more
Published March 27th 2018 by Disney/Rick Riordan Presents

To ask other readers questions about Aru Shah and the End of Time, please sign up.
Tharini There's Hanuman and Urvashi, and Indra and Yama make a brief appearance as well! The book is about Aru Shah and her quest to save the world, so althou…moreThere's Hanuman and Urvashi, and Indra and Yama make a brief appearance as well! The book is about Aru Shah and her quest to save the world, so although it weaves together a lot of Indian mythology (especially regarding the Pandavas), the novel itself is entirely from Chokshi's imagination.(less)
Megan No, these are separate from the Riordan verse as said by Rick himself.
"These are original stories generated by…more
No, these are separate from the Riordan verse as said by Rick himself.
"These are original stories generated by the authors – their intellectual property, told their way, with their characters and their sense of humor. The worlds they create are their own. They are not extensions of Percy Jackson’s world."(less)

·  18,271 ratings  ·  3,289 reviews

Start your review of Aru Shah and the End of Time (Pandava Quartet, #1)
chai ♡
I finished this book feeling the extreme weight of doing something remarkable for my older self to be nostalgic about, and, also realizing that the one thing all different mythologies seem to have in common is that apparently all gods just live for drama.

So, what’s this book about?

Aru Shah and The End of Time begins with a bad idea, and bad ideas begin, as most bad ideas do, with a dare.

Aru Shah likes to bend the truth. That was what her classmates meant when they called her a liar, and they
Rick Riordan
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever read a book and thought, "Wow, I wish I'd written that!"?

For me, Aru Shah and the End of Time is one of those books. It has everything I like: humor, action, great characters and, of course, awesome mythology! But this is not a book I could have written. I just don't have the expertise or the insider's knowledge to tackle the huge incredible world of Hindu mythology, much less make it so fun and reader-friendly.

Fortunately for all of us, Roshani Chokshi does.

If you are not familia
Roshani Chokshi
Apr 25, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Hi guys! I got to sit down with Rick a couple weeks ago and talk about ARU! If you're interested in watching our interview, here's the link! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptmt1...

~*~*~*~

ARU SHAH AND THE END OF TIME has a cover! And a longer excerpt! I hope you guys enjoy <3 I've been dreaming of writing this story for eons...now there's only 6 months left until it's out in the world! I'll be hosting giveaways in the upcoming months, so if you're interest
kav (xreadingsolacex)
Disclaimer: I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This is no way impacts my review.

Aru Shah and the End of the Time is a middle-grade fantasy novel based off of Hindu mythology, following a 12-year old girl, Aru Shah, who finds out she is a reincarnation of one of the five Pandava brothers and essentially has to change the world.

If 12-year old me had had the ability to read a book like this, maybe I wouldn't have been ashamed of my heritage growing up because soc
Ashley Nuckles
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars! This was super cute and had all the Rick Riordan nuances I could have ever wanted! I loooove the humor in this book and I’m SO excited for the next ones!
megs_bookrack
Nov 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**3.5-stars rounded up**

12-year old, Aru Shah, doesn't quite fit in. It's not just the fact that she and her Mom live in an actual Museum, The Museum of Ancient Indian Art and Culture, there are other factors as well.

For one, Aru attends a school where the vast majority of children are very, very wealthy. It's clear to them all that Aru is not, although she has pretended to be from time to time.

Aru often feels ignored and neglected at home as well.

Her Mom frequently travels procuring artifacts
Kiara Maharaj
Apr 14, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
**please read edit at the end***

I know this is gonna be one bad review in a million good reviews for this book, but I'm going to share my thoughts on it anyways. Reading this book, I was horrified. I wish I never read it. I put it down several times, but picked it up again because I wanted to see just how far the author will take it. Each page revealed a different atrocity. My last thought when I finished it was "This book needs to be off the shelves, now."

Basically, Valmiki is The Hipster on t
Hamad
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 4.25 stars

*** Full review now posted ***

“Tales are slippery, her mother had often said. The truth of a story depends on who is telling it.”

Aru Shah and the End of Time is the kind of book that I would have killed for when I was younger. I mean it has the fast pacing just perfect for a middle grade book, a very good writing style, Indian mythology (How cool!) and a beautiful cover!!

Not only that, this book was hilarious, I was laughing out loud more than one time and if you know
Mango
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites

Note: This was a re-read, and I did originally review this book. Be warned, this was when I had no clue how to write reviews, so it was pretty short. But, if you really want to see my first review, scroll down to the very bottom.

My mind is bustling with so many thoughts right now, and I have no clue how to organize them. Whether this turns out
Katie.dorny
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Okay for a middle grade/children’s book I absolutely fell in love with this.

Aru is a very imaginative girl who lives in an Indian museum. One day after making a bet Aru accidentally unleashes a demon god that has the capability to destroy the world. This book is how she stops him.

Along the way we meet Subala the pigeon (my personal favourite character) and Mini who is also gifted like Aru - the girls are Pandavas: reincarnations of famous Indian heroes with ancestors related to the gods.

This no
Vignesh Kumar
This is my latest favorite of this year!

It's so difficult to get a book with Indian characters, let alone a fantasy one. Along with Hindu mythology, it's unheard of. Thank the Gods and Goddesses, for Roshani Chokshi, is here.

I absolutely loved this book! I adored the characters, Aru and Mini. I love Mini even more than Aru. She is allergic to almost everything and has a freaking Epi-pen! It's so good to finally see a character who is truly a human today, not like the always-perfect characters i
Scrill
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mg, fantasy
When three classmates show up at her home slash museum of Ancient Indian Art and Culture to confront Aru Shah about lying, she decides to impress them with stories of the artifacts in the museum. Such as the cursed Lamp of Bharata. Trying to save face, she lights the lamp and releases the Sleeper. Now Aru must stop the Sleeper from waking the God of Destruction, or everyone in the world will be frozen in time.

The Story-
First, let me just say, I loved this book. In the same thread as Rick Riordan
ambsreads
FIND MY REVIEW FOR ARU SHAH AND THE END OF TIME ON MY BLOG. CLICK HERE TO SEE MORE

I think I’ve made it pretty clear over time that I am a big fan of Rick Riordan. I love mythology and I love learning through his books. When Riordan announced that he was going to publish own voices authors take on mythology I was beyond excited. Aru Shah and the End of Time was no exception of this. I fell in love, fast. One reason was that it was a female lead, something we don’t typically see in Riordan’s work.
Prabhjot Kaur
It is my first read from the author and I am underwhelmed. I have heard a lot of praise for Roshani Chokshi's writing and her books and in particular for this series but I am so not impressed and no one is more upset than I for not loving this book and her writing.

I have rated it 3 stars but in reality I don't know what rating should I give this book and how I even feel about it. I might even change the rating later on after having slept on it. I honestly don't know how to review this book beca
Taylor
"Suddenly, the world she thought she knew had opened up, as if stage curtains had been yanked back to show her that there was so much more than what she'd imagined. There was magic. Secrets crouched in the dark. Characters from stories, like the ones she'd been told all her life, were taking off their masks and saying, I was never a tale, but the truth."

...

Aru Shah and the End of Time was one of my most anticipated releases of 2018, and it didn't disappoint. Let me just get this out of the way:
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4 stars!

“Sometimes light illuminates things that are better left in the dark.”

Aru Shah is about a young girl who lives in a museum with her mother. In a bullying situation, she awakens an ancient demon. Now, she must work with her “sister”, a fellow reincarnated soul to stop the demon from ending the world.

“It was one of the things that she liked best when her mother told her the stories: villains could be heroic, and heroes could do evil.”

There’s something about a talking disgruntled
Noha Badawi
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That was the coolest thing I've read in a long while.
Absolutely fell in love with both main characters; Aru Shah and her quirky friend Mini.
And on top of the amazing characters, the plot and Indian mythology is awesome.

full review
Starlah
Jul 20, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super fast-paced, great writing, Indian mythology is SO cool! This book is funny - albeit a little cheesy at times with just how many pop culture references there are. I love the mythologies! I love the drama! I love Aru Shah and how she is very flawed. She struggles a lot with her mother being very detached (and not having a father around), so she feels very lonely and does whatever she can to feel accepted, including lying. This book is the start of an epic, and it feels that way, but it's sti ...more
clem
Aug 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
7.7/10

Instagram | youtube

So as you can tell i have a new rating system and it's more efficient than Goodreads could ever be.

General review: highly enjoyable book, funny with great character depth and development. The worldbuilding was rich and meshed well with Uncle Rick's own work. The plot was also fun to follow with a couple of good plot twists.

detailed cawpile ratings:

characters: 8/10:
I can't believe I bonded with a pigeon, these birds are my nemesis. The palace was also cool.

Atmosphere:
Britt / Basically Britt
3,5 Stars!
Jude: The Epic Reader
Rick Riordan was right..if you liked Percy Jackson you will like this as well. It was super adorable! I can't wait to read the other books in this series and all the other Rick Riordan presents books. I really like Aru Shah and all of the mythological creatures and gods. ...more
Connor
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very fun romp for a younger middle grade audience. We get to follow Aru and Mini as they have to save the world from the Sleeper complete with a Mushu-Zazu-type animal sidekick. I loved that Aru really has to self-reflect and confront why she feels the need to constantly paint her life as more than what it is. She's so afraid of not being enough that she lands herself in all sorts of trouble (this book). I loved Mini in this. I think it's because I know people very much like Mini in real life, ...more
Niharika✩
“People are a lot like magical pockets. They're a lot bigger on the inside than they appear to be on the outside.”

5 stars

So, this is my second review today so it might not be too good.

I LOVE THIS BOOK. WHY CAN'T ALL BOOKS BE LIKE THIS?!

Plot
Aru Shah lives with her mother in...umm some museum whose name I forgot. Her mother goes on business trips a lot and Aru doesn't fit in at school. One day, to impress her classmates (who don't deserve impressing) she lights the cursed lamp and releases the
Mrinmayi
Hmmm....soo how do l start gushing over this book 🤔
IT WAS SO ENTERTAINING!!!!!!!!* excited Babbling *

Ok now about our MC Aru ...never have l ever seen a character so realistic in a MG book
I think the author wanted to make Aru an unlikable character BUT l ended up LOVING Her❤😍
Same goes for Mini; she provided the right amount of humor and was the anchor Aru needed

Me being someone who loves * coughs *
* whispers: ls obsessed with*
Indian mythology this experience was phenomenal
This was the portra
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
you know what we respect? a white male author getting letters from readers asking him to write about mythology from other cultures, but instead of doing that and taking it for himself, he goes out searching for authors from said cultures and helps boosts their own voices and stories by creating an imprint solely for that purpose. ICONIC.

The last contemporary fantasy influenced by Hindu mythology I read was probably the Tiger's Curse series, and that was a long time ago. So it's wonderful to read
Colleen Houck
I love that Rick Riordan is inviting other authors to add to his mythological world. For all of you looking for more mythology of India, you'll want to pick this one up. So many gods and goddesses and demons and monsters. I love that Hanuman can grow super tall. So curious to see what's up with the boy next door we met at the end. Also, love the tiger and the seven headed horse! ...more
Stu✨
So apparently I’m writing a review for this! :)
The ending was awesome! I loved it a lot!
And it was fun kinda reading bout my culture! So yeah!
Review to come! I guess
nefeli
Jun 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“I believe that the world could be different. I believe that our destinies aren't chains around our necks, but wings that give us flight.”

- 4.5/5 ⭐

Read this book with my team "The Good Vibes" for the June challenge and loved it :)

This book was perfect. I- I just love it so much!! I need to read the rest of the series NOW!
I think I’ve made it pretty clear over time that I am a big fan of Rick Riordan and I love mythology!! This book did not disappoint me. This was super cute and had
Erica
Those 3 stars aren't for me, they're for the young'uns to whom I'd recommend this book.
I'd give it 2 wobbly stars and a peeved side eye.

Confession: I am a hypocrite, a bad meme of a privileged white lady wanting #ownvoices but no, not like that.

I was impressed that Rick Riordan, who ever-so-graciously presents this book, stepped down and let someone from a Hindu background write this story. I like to think he got some pushback after he did the Egyptian gods series and decided to listen and let s
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
Oh this was a delight! I’m very behind on the Rick Riordan Presents books but this one has been on my tbr for so long. Roshani Chokshi is one of my favorite authors. Her The Gilded Wolves series is one that I fell in love with and I’ve been meaning to read her other books as well. Something about her writing middle grade made me super interested.

Aru Shah is our main character and she’s just so interesting. She was quirky and very imaginative. She also practically lives in a museum which was supe

• The Storm Runner (The Storm Runner, #1)
  • Dragon Pearl (Thousand Worlds, #1)
  • The Fire Keeper (The Storm Runner, #2)
  • The Last Fallen Star (Gifted Clans #1)
  • Paola Santiago and the River of Tears (Paola Santiago, #1)
  • Sal and Gabi Break the Universe (Sal and Gabi, #1)
  • Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky (Tristan Strong #1)
  • Race to the Sun
  • The Shadow Crosser (The Storm Runner, #3)
  • City of the Plague God
  • The Serpent's Secret (Kiranmala and the Kingdom Beyond, #1)
  • Daughter of the Deep
  • Paola Santiago and the Forest of Nightmares (Paola Santiago, #2)
  • Amari and the Night Brothers (Supernatural Investigations, #1)
  • The Cursed Carnival and Other Calamities: New Stories About Mythic Heroes
  • Sal and Gabi Fix the Universe (Sal and Gabi, #2)
  • Tristan Strong Destroys the World (Tristan Strong, #2)
  • Game of Stars (Kiranmala and the Kingdom Beyond, #2)
See top shelves…
Roshani Chokshi is the author of commercial and critically acclaimed books for middle grade and young adult readers that draws on world mythology and folklore. Her work has been nominated for the Locus and Nebula awards, and has frequently appeared on Best of The Year lists from Barnes and Noble, Forbes, Buzzfeed and more. Her New York Times bestselling series includes The Star-Touched Queen duolo ...more

Pandava (5 books)
  • Aru Shah and the Song of Death (Pandava Quartet, #2)
  • Aru Shah and the Tree of Wishes (Pandava Quartet, #3)
  • Aru Shah and the City of Gold (Pandava, #4)
  • Aru Shah and the Nectar of Immortality (Pandava, #5)

Articles featuring this book

“It is not failure to fail.” 61 likes
“A particularly good book has a way of opening new spaces in one's mind. It even invited you to come back later and rummage through what you'd learn.” 59 likes