Start by marking “Aru Shah and the End of Time (Pandava Quartet, #1)” as Want to Read:
Aru Shah and the End of Time (Pandava Quartet, #1)

Aru Shah and the End of Time

(Pandava Quartet #1)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  12,479 ratings  ·  2,517 reviews
Twelve-year-old Aru Shah has a tendency to stretch the truth in order to fit in at school. While her classmates are jetting off to family vacations in exotic locales, she'll be spending her autumn break at home, in the Museum of Ancient Indian Art and Culture, waiting for her mom to return from their latest archeological trip. Is it any wonder that Aru makes up stories abo ...more
Published March 27th 2018 by Disney/Rick Riordan Presents

To ask other readers questions about Aru Shah and the End of Time, please sign up.
Tharini There's Hanuman and Urvashi, and Indra and Yama make a brief appearance as well! The book is about Aru Shah and her quest to save the world, so althou…moreThere's Hanuman and Urvashi, and Indra and Yama make a brief appearance as well! The book is about Aru Shah and her quest to save the world, so although it weaves together a lot of Indian mythology (especially regarding the Pandavas), the novel itself is entirely from Chokshi's imagination.(less)

·  12,479 ratings  ·  2,517 reviews

Start your review of Aru Shah and the End of Time (Pandava Quartet, #1)
chai ♡
I finished this book feeling the extreme weight of doing something remarkable for my older self to be nostalgic about, and, also realizing that the one thing all different mythologies seem to have in common is that apparently all gods just live for drama.

So, what’s this book about?

Aru Shah and The End of Time begins with a bad idea, and bad ideas begin, as most bad ideas do, with a dare.

Aru Shah likes to bend the truth. That was what her classmates meant when they called her a liar, and they
Rick Riordan
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever read a book and thought, "Wow, I wish I'd written that!"?

For me, Aru Shah and the End of Time is one of those books. It has everything I like: humor, action, great characters and, of course, awesome mythology! But this is not a book I could have written. I just don't have the expertise or the insider's knowledge to tackle the huge incredible world of Hindu mythology, much less make it so fun and reader-friendly.

Fortunately for all of us, Roshani Chokshi does.

If you are not familia
Cristina Monica
This book is trying too hard.

I never managed to truly and effectively get a full sense of Aru Shah’s personality, because the voice of the author is far more present and loud.

And still, somehow, I managed to dislike Aru. She made me cringe so many times that at some point I was questioning if I was this annoying at the age of twelve. I don’t think I thought about picking my nose every day like Aru does.

It is somewhat interesting from start to finish, that I will admit. The mythology spiked my
Roshani Chokshi
Apr 25, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Hi guys! I got to sit down with Rick a couple weeks ago and talk about ARU! If you're interested in watching our interview, here's the link! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptmt1...

~*~*~*~

ARU SHAH AND THE END OF TIME has a cover! And a longer excerpt! I hope you guys enjoy <3 I've been dreaming of writing this story for eons...now there's only 6 months left until it's out in the world! I'll be hosting giveaways in the upcoming months, so if you're interest
kav (xreadingsolacex)
Disclaimer: I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This is no way impacts my review.

Aru Shah and the End of the Time is a middle-grade fantasy novel based off of Hindu mythology, following a 12-year old girl, Aru Shah, who finds out she is a reincarnation of one of the five Pandava brothers and essentially has to change the world.

If 12-year old me had had the ability to read a book like this, maybe I wouldn't have been ashamed of my heritage growing up because soc
Ashley Nuckles
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars! This was super cute and had all the Rick Riordan nuances I could have ever wanted! I loooove the humor in this book and I’m SO excited for the next ones!
C.G. Drews
This was absolutely EVERYTHING I hoped it would be! Just afjdklsd forget how old I am for a second: I love love love the Percy Jackson books. (Except for you, Mr. Burning Maze. Go fix all your typos because That Character definitely did not die. I am in denial.) I go to Riordan stories for (a) humour, (b) loveable adorkable characters, and (c) epic mythology but with an absurdist and cleverly witty twist. And what did Aru Shah do?!

ALL OF THAT. Perfectly.

Since this is a Riordan imprint, I just wa
Hamad
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 4.25 stars

*** Full review now posted ***

“Tales are slippery, her mother had often said. The truth of a story depends on who is telling it.”

Aru Shah and the End of Time is the kind of book that I would have killed for when I was younger. I mean it has the fast pacing just perfect for a middle grade book, a very good writing style, Indian mythology (How cool!) and a beautiful cover!!

Not only that, this book was hilarious, I was laughing out loud more than one time and if you know
Katie.dorny
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Okay for a middle grade/children’s book I absolutely fell in love with this.

Aru is a very imaginative girl who lives in an Indian museum. One day after making a bet Aru accidentally unleashes a demon god that has the capability to destroy the world. This book is how she stops him.

Along the way we meet Subala the pigeon (my personal favourite character) and Mini who is also gifted like Aru - the girls are Pandavas: reincarnations of famous Indian heroes with ancestors related to the gods.

This no
Vignesh Kumar
This is my latest favorite of this year!

It's so difficult to get a book with Indian characters, let alone a fantasy one. Along with Hindu mythology, it's unheard of. Thank the Gods and Goddesses, for Roshani Chokshi, is here.

I absolutely loved this book! I adored the characters, Aru and Mini. I love Mini even more than Aru. She is allergic to almost everything and has a freaking Epi-pen! It's so good to finally see a character who is truly a human today, not like the always-perfect characters i
ambsreads
FIND MY REVIEW FOR ARU SHAH AND THE END OF TIME ON MY BLOG. CLICK HERE TO SEE MORE

I think I’ve made it pretty clear over time that I am a big fan of Rick Riordan. I love mythology and I love learning through his books. When Riordan announced that he was going to publish own voices authors take on mythology I was beyond excited. Aru Shah and the End of Time was no exception of this. I fell in love, fast. One reason was that it was a female lead, something we don’t typically see in Riordan’s work.
Scrill
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, mg
When three classmates show up at her home slash museum of Ancient Indian Art and Culture to confront Aru Shah about lying, she decides to impress them with stories of the artifacts in the museum. Such as the cursed Lamp of Bharata. Trying to save face, she lights the lamp and releases the Sleeper. Now Aru must stop the Sleeper from waking the God of Destruction, or everyone in the world will be frozen in time.

The Story-
First, let me just say, I loved this book. In the same thread as Rick Riordan
Taylor
"Suddenly, the world she thought she knew had opened up, as if stage curtains had been yanked back to show her that there was so much more than what she'd imagined. There was magic. Secrets crouched in the dark. Characters from stories, like the ones she'd been told all her life, were taking off their masks and saying, I was never a tale, but the truth."

...

Aru Shah and the End of Time was one of my most anticipated releases of 2018, and it didn't disappoint. Let me just get this out of the way:
Kiara Maharaj
Apr 14, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I know this is gonna be one bad review in a million good reviews for this book, but I'm going to share my thoughts on it anyways. Reading this book, I was horrified. I wish I never read it. I put it down several times, but picked it up again because I wanted to see just how far the author will take it. Each page revealed a different atrocity. My last thought when I finished it was "This book needs to be off the shelves, now."

Basically, Valmiki is The Hipster on the Anthill, Hanuman is a big ape
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4 stars!

“Sometimes light illuminates things that are better left in the dark.”

Aru Shah is about a young girl who lives in a museum with her mother. In a bullying situation, she awakens an ancient demon. Now, she must work with her “sister”, a fellow reincarnated soul to stop the demon from ending the world.

“It was one of the things that she liked best when her mother told her the stories: villains could be heroic, and heroes could do evil.”

There’s something about a talking disgruntled
Noha Badawi
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That was the coolest thing I've read in a long while.
Absolutely fell in love with both main characters; Aru Shah and her quirky friend Mini.
And on top of the amazing characters, the plot and Indian mythology is awesome.

full review
Britt / Basically Britt
3,5 Stars!
Connor
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very fun romp for a younger middle grade audience. We get to follow Aru and Mini as they have to save the world from the Sleeper complete with a Mushu-Zazu-type animal sidekick. I loved that Aru really has to self-reflect and confront why she feels the need to constantly paint her life as more than what it is. She's so afraid of not being enough that she lands herself in all sorts of trouble (this book). I loved Mini in this. I think it's because I know people very much like Mini in real life, ...more
Colleen Houck
I love that Rick Riordan is inviting other authors to add to his mythological world. For all of you looking for more mythology of India, you'll want to pick this one up. So many gods and goddesses and demons and monsters. I love that Hanuman can grow super tall. So curious to see what's up with the boy next door we met at the end. Also, love the tiger and the seven headed horse!
Clem (the villain's quest)
7.7/10

Instagram | youtube

don't laugh at my new rating system, okay, five stars just isn't cutting it anymore.

RTC.
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
you know what we respect? a white male author getting letters from readers asking him to write about mythology from other cultures, but instead of doing that and taking it for himself, he goes out searching for authors from said cultures and helps boosts their own voices and stories by creating an imprint solely for that purpose. ICONIC.

The last contemporary fantasy influenced by Hindu mythology I read was probably the Tiger's Curse series, and that was a long time ago. So it's wonderful to read
autumn
very very fun and cute!! this made me so nostalgic for the percy jackson series (of course) but in its own fun way. aru is an AMAZING main character, the definition of 'spunky' and 'hero.' the reason i rated it 4 stars was only because it seemed a little too immature and cutesy (although that might just be because it's been literal years since i've read or been in middle school). i can't wait to read the next books which promise to be even better!

representation: the premise of the story is hindu
Caden
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book! This book is so inspiring and beautiful! Every page was like reading a dream. I wish I could have had this book when I was in middle school, and it brings me to tears of happiness when I think of young girls getting to read it now. I absolutely loved this book!
Erica
Those 3 stars aren't for me, they're for the young'uns to whom I'd recommend this book.
I'd give it 2 wobbly stars and a peeved side eye.

Confession: I am a hypocrite, a bad meme of a privileged white lady wanting #ownvoices but no, not like that.

I was impressed that Rick Riordan, who ever-so-graciously presents this book, stepped down and let someone from a Hindu background write this story. I like to think he got some pushback after he did the Egyptian gods series and decided to listen and let s
Alexa
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m really happy this imprint exists, and I’m really happy that ARU SHAH AND THE END OF TIME was its debut release! It was such a treat to read a story that has a similar vibe to Rick Riordan’s own work, but that also tackles a new mythology (Hindu) and also bears the unique voice and writing style of its author. I really liked Chokshi’s tale, particularly because of how accessible she made Hindu mythology and how compelling both of her main characters ended up being. Cannot wait for book two!
Coreen ❇
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Your father wears a cross beneath his shirt, an agimat necklace passed down from his family in the Philippines.

You dont how much this means to me; reading my culture in one of my most anticipated book.
Merline
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a fun story and interesting mythology. Loved Aru, Mini, Boo and all the side characters. Can't wait to learn more about the other Pandava sisters and the Sleeper.
Mrinmayi
Hmmm....soo how do l start gushing over this book 🤔
IT WAS SO ENTERTAINING!!!!!!!!* excited Babbling *

Ok now about our MC Aru ...never have l ever seen a character so realistic in a MG book
I think the author wanted to make Aru an unlikable character BUT l ended up LOVING Her❤😍
Same goes for Mini; she provided the right amount of humor and was the anchor Aru needed

Me being someone who loves * coughs *
* whispers: ls obsessed with*
Indian mythology this experience was phenomenal
This was the portra
Keerthana
Nov 11, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2018
Incarnation of Pandavas

I didn't know I was waiting for this kinda book until I read the summary. I'm extremely excited for this book but I know I shouldn't but

Also bonus to Aru because of spider-man PJs👍
AbigailHaleigh
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so fun! What a great start to a new series, and I love Aru and Mini so much. I can definitely see the Percy Jackson vibes, but Roshani made this book all her own. Can’t wait for book 2.
Incorrect series name 2 14 Jan 12, 2020 02:55PM
Middle Grade Madn...: Aru Shah and the End of Time - June 2019 Book of the Month 32 78 Jun 23, 2019 06:57PM
NZ Intermediate S...: Aru Shah and the End of Time 1 9 Apr 14, 2019 09:31PM
BooktubeSFF Awards: This topic has been closed to new comments. Aru Shah and the end of time 17 76 Apr 02, 2019 05:07AM
Middle Grade Book...: No Spoilers 2 7 May 15, 2018 05:22PM
Fantastic Books a...: April 6 11 May 02, 2018 10:18AM

• The Storm Runner (The Storm Runner, #1)
  • Dragon Pearl
  • Sal and Gabi Break the Universe (Sal and Gabi, #1)
  • Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky (Tristan Strong #1)
  • The Fire Keeper (The Storm Runner, #2)
  • Race to the Sun
  • The Serpent's Secret (Kiranmala and the Kingdom Beyond, #1)
  • Game of Stars (Kiranmala and the Kingdom Beyond, #2)
  • The Tyrant’s Tomb (The Trials of Apollo, #4)
  • The Burning Maze (The Trials of Apollo, #3)
  • Sal and Gabi Fix the Universe (Sal and Gabi, #2)
  • 9 From the Nine Worlds
  • Men and Monsters (Nightfall, #2)
  • Kingdom of Ashes (Nightfall, #1)
  • Front Desk (Front Desk, #1)
  • Other Words for Home
  • The Night Diary
  • Ghost Squad
Roshani Chokshi is the author of commercial and critically acclaimed books for middle grade and young adult readers that draws on world mythology and folklore. Her work has been nominated for the Locus and Nebula awards, and has frequently appeared on Best of The Year lists from Barnes and Noble, Forbes, Buzzfeed and more. Her New York Times bestselling series includes The Star-Touched Queen duolo ...more

Pandava Quartet (4 books)
  • Aru Shah and the Song of Death (Pandava Quartet, #2)
  • Aru Shah and the Tree of Wishes (Pandava Quartet, #3)
  • Aru Shah and the City of Gold (Pandava Quartet, #4)

Articles featuring this book

Summer Reading is sponsored by Lifetime’s Book to Screen Movies. We love bookish celebrities, entrepreneurs, and others who consistently b...
“It is not failure to fail.” 36 likes
“A particularly good book has a way of opening new spaces in one's mind. It even invited you to come back later and rummage through what you'd learn.” 33 likes