Start by marking “Dragon Pearl” as Want to Read:
Dragon Pearl

Dragon Pearl

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  5,068 ratings  ·  1,175 reviews
THIRTEEN-YEAR-OLD MIN comes from a long line of fox spirits. But you'd never know it by looking at her. To keep the family safe, Min’s mother insists that none of them use any fox-magic, such as Charm or shape-shifting. They must appear human at all times.

Min feels hemmed in by the household rules and resents the endless chores, the cousins who crowd her, and the aunties
Published January 15th 2019 by Rick Riordan Presents

To ask other readers questions about Dragon Pearl, please sign up.
Sarah They are books that draw on different world mythologies (Mayan, West African, Hindu, etc.) that Rick Riordan edits. He's using his fame to draw attent…moreThey are books that draw on different world mythologies (Mayan, West African, Hindu, etc.) that Rick Riordan edits. He's using his fame to draw attention to diverse books he lacks the cultural background to write himself.(less)

·  5,068 ratings  ·  1,175 reviews

Start your review of Dragon Pearl
Rick Riordan
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Thousand Dangerous Worlds

Min is just your regular teenaged fox spirit, living with her family on the dusty backwater world of Jinju.

Oh, sure, like all fox spirits, she can change shape into whatever she wants: human, fox, even a dining table. And, yes, she has the power to Charm -- to manipulate human emotions and make people see things that aren’t there. But that’s not very exciting when you’re stuck on the family farm, sleeping every night in a crowded common room with your snoring cousins,
Melanie
I really enjoyed this one. RTC! <3

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch

This was the May pick for the Dragons and Tea Book Club! 🐉☕
megs_bookrack
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs-read
Middle Grade Science Fiction at its BEST!!!

This rollicking Space Opera follows 13-year old, Min, on her quest to find out what happened to her older brother, Jun.

When an investigator shows up at Min's family home, accusing her older brother, Jun, of deserting the Space Forces, Min knows there has to be some mistake.

Jun and Min had talked of joining the Forces their whole lives and going on grand adventures together. Now that he is a part of that world, Min knows he would never disgrace his fami
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

The cover of this book is sooooo cute!

This was a really good middle-grade book!!

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
may ➹
congrats Yoon Ha Lee you are the first writer I’ve seen to seamlessly weave nonbinary characters into everyday life in SFF
Acqua
This is one of the best things I've ever read.

Dragon Pearl is a Korean-inspired space opera following a teenage fox spirit, set in a queer-inclusive universe. I can't believe I almost didn't read it just because it was middle grade; if I hadn't loved Ninefox Gambit so much, I would have never picked it up, and that would have been such a mistake on my part. It is middle grade, that's the target audience, but Dragon Pearl is the kind of book that can be enjoyed by people of all ages.

I had almost
Hillary
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was ok

Well, this didn’t go as expected. Dragon Pearl was my most anticipated Rick Riordan Presents book because it's a space opera with Korean mythology elements. However, I didn't enjoy this as much as I wanted to. I was hesitant to round my rating to 3 stars because I feel I didn't quite like it at that level, but 2 stars was too low of a rating for it.

The main problem I had with this book is that it's bland. It's not exciting or mind-blowing, and I feel mostly neutral towards it. It's actu
Bradley
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this specifically because it was penned by Yoon Ha Lee. I'm a completionist that way.

BUT, I'll be honest, I am not particularly fond of most YA. It tends to be cookie-cutter plots and characters that feel like dough. It's fine if you like fat and sweet things that aren't that good for you but still make you feel warm and fuzzy afterward. And sometimes not even that... sometimes there is just the gnawing guilt and the shame.

Not here, though! I really enjoyed it. Yoon Ha Lee proves he can w
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
let's go let's go gumihos

DRAGON PEARL is a sumptuous space opera sci-fi influenced by Korean mythology, and it's just so nice to see a Korean-American author take on a genre which traditionally has been white-dominated and create a world wherein all the characters and worldbuilding are Korean-coded. James Kirk? I don't know him.

It goes to show how accessible diversity can be in all genres and age brackets of literature. DRAGON PEARL is a middle grade, but the world is rich and textured, and the
Hannah Greendale
The lasting prejudice against us annoyed me. Other supernaturals, like dragons and goblins and shamans, could wield their magic openly, and were even praised for it. Dragons used their weather magic for agriculture and the time-consuming work of terraforming planets. Goblins, with their invisibility caps, could act as secret agents; their ability to summon food with their magical wands came in handy, too. Shamans were essential for communicating with the ancestors and spirits, of course. We f
Alexandra Elend Wolf

“Seems to me, Min, you make your own luck.”

I entered this book with so many expectations -why do I keep doing this to myself?- and, oh so hype, the premise seemed really cool and, well, it didn't help up.

I kept falling asleep every time I read more than a couple of pages. I'm not even kidding, it was Every. Single. Time. I think I ended reading it more asleep than awake at the end.

It's probably just the fact that I had so many expectations, one of them being that the story was gon
April (Aprilius Maximus)
May 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
BOOK #8 READ FOR BELIEVATHON ROUND 2.

representation: own voices Korean rep, non-binary side character, brief mention of a poly relationship (m/m/m).

[trigger warnings are listed at the bottom of this review and may contain spoilers]

★★★

I sooooo wanted to love this one, but for some reason I just didn't :( I do recommend it though and I can see why people love it!

trigger warnings: loss of loved ones, violence, suicide.
Leona  Petrovic
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
This is my first Rick Riordan presents novel, and I must admit that I am disappointed. The idea of RR presents is a good one. It's very admirable that RR is using his fame to help other authors share stories that involve their various cultural backgrounds but quality-wise this book was nothing like a RR book. I didn't expect this to be like one of his books, but I did expect it to be GOOD which it was not.

Both the ending and the beginning are stupid and the middle is boring. All the characters
Amy Risner
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it

This is the May pick for the Dragons & Tea Book Club hosted by Melanie and me!

The Dates & Breakdown:
May 13th — Page 1 – 64 (Ch. 1 – 7)
May 14th — Page 65 – 124 (Ch. 8 – 14)
May 15th — Page 125 – 183 (Ch. 15 – 22)
May 16th — Page 184 – 242 (Ch. 23 – 28)
May 17th — Page 243 – End (Ch. 29 – 38)

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | YouTube
Nicole N. (A Myriad of Books)
Space opera based on KOREAN mythology. My people! Someone hold me.
Lindsay
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
The "Rick Riordan presents" imprint focuses on writers of different cultural backgrounds doing for their traditions what Riordan did for the Greek myths. In this one Yoon Ha Lee explores his Korean traditions with a space opera setting (The Thousand Worlds) that includes dragons, goblins, tiger and fox spirits and ghosts and starships that rely on things like good fortune and gi flows.

Kim Min is a 13-year old fox spirit living on a poor badly-terraformed colony world with her family. Fox spirits
Rachel Reads Ravenously
3 stars

I’ve already recommended this to one of my library kids, so it goes to show that just because you don’t love a book it doesn’t mean you can’t recommend it to others.

I’m a cover lover and read this for purely shallow reasons. I listened to the audiobook and found myself not always wanting to listen or tuning out. But conceptually, this book is great. A shapeshifting fox girl who travels through space to save her brother, that’s a great unique plot kids will love.

Follow me on ♥ Facebook
Dani ❤️ Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

To keep the family safe, 13 year old Min’s mother insists that none of them use any fox-magic, such as Charm or shape-shifting. They must appear human at all times. Min feels hemmed in and resents the endless chores, the cousins who crowd her, and the aunties who judge her. She would like nothing more than to escape Jinju, her neglected, dust-ridden, and impoverished planet. When word arrives that Jun is suspected of leaving his post to go in s
Trish
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first book by this author and I was confused why he'd need a "Rick Riordan presents" on the cover. I still don't know. But Rick Riordan has character art and more insight on his website so maybe he's writing in the universe of the thousand worlds?

We follow 13-year-old Min

as she is told that her older brother has deserted the military. To clear his name and possibly save him, she embarks on a journey all alone. Apparently, it all has to do with the mythical Dragon Pearl that can supposedly ter
Lata
I liked this fast-paced story a lot. When Kim Min, young fox spirit, hears that her older brother is suspected of deserting from his Space Forces post in a quest to find the Dragon Pearl, she accidentally knocks the Investigator who brought the news unconscious and decides she has to find her brother. (Now, if I'd just done that to someone, I don't think I'd be thinking of leaving the planet, but it's a great start to this story.) Min, after tricking her way onto a ship and getting injured in a ...more
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
Loved this!
I thought this was such a delightful and fun space adventure. Can't wait to read Lee's adult SFF books now.

- Follows Min, a young teen who lives in the poorer fringes of the galaxy and is a fox spirit! She runs away from home to try and find her brother, who has been accused of being a deserter.
- It's a wonderful adventure where Min meets gamblers, dragons and dokkaebi and tigers that take human form, and eventually finds her way to a battle cruiser where her brother was stationed.
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, own
Okay so I had a friend read this and she didn't end up loving it even though she was so hyped for it. That made me pretty hesitant to pick it up but BOY OH BOY WAS SHE WRONG! I freaking loved this! I think it dragged and I felt bored a few times (also could have done with a bit more world building) but the characters were solid (I adore Min so much) and the mystery kept me guessing. I loved getting Korean mythology interwoven (shout out to the damn prime example of an ally: Rick Riordan) into a ...more
Alexa
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
Reading this for the Dragons & Tea Book Club!

I had a lot of fun reading this one! It’s definitely one of those scenarios where I think that it’s better suited for the actual target audience, but where I could appreciate the entertainment, mythological/supernatural Korean touches and just the space shenanigans (which are also my fave).
Sharlize D'Souza
Feb 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
DNF'D at page 105. I really wanted to love it ..I just couldn't!
Allison Hurd
This was a cute story, but not a complex one. I expected humor and brooding and epic space battles like the Hexarchate books but with less sex and no cursing. Instead it feels like he tried to write like someone else, so it felt stilted.

CONTENT WARNING: (view spoiler)

Things to love:

-The magic. It's fun to see myths in space. I liked the dragons, goblins, fox people, tiger people and so on.

-The world. The ideas that put
Ashley
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kitsune
Star Rating: —> 4 Stars

Before I say anything else-

Can. I. Just. SAY!

This book is MG & there happens to be a WONDERFUL non-binary rep! Middle grade!
HOW AMAZING IS THAT?! This is what we need more of! 😊

SO; I may be obsessed with the Japanese mythological magic fox, Kitsune, as I said below.... BUT:
#1 I was mistaken as to the mythological specification of the main character in this book! 13 year old Min is actually a magic fox from KOREAN mythology, a GUMIHO!
#2 I am obsessed with ALL things f
The Captain
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Ahoy there me mateys! I have been meaning to read more of this author’s work ever since I read the odd but interesting short story called the starship and the temple cat. It can be found for free at the beneath ceasless skies website by clicking here. I do own the first book in his machineries of the empire series but haven’t yet read it. I decided to tackle this young adult title first.

The story follows a young fox spirit named Min who is biding her time until she can join the Space Forces like
Sofia Generali
3.5/5 stars

This book started out so promising!! Aaaand halfway through it lost almost all my attention.

I'm disappointed.

The book started out with such an interesting backdrop, with a girl named Min who was part of a fox family, who went in search of her missing brother. And it turned into endless pages of Min disguised on a spaceship carrying out menial duties and charming everyone in sight.

THIS BOOK HAD SUCH POTENTIAL

Sigh.

Thus far I've been disappointed by both this and Aru Shah, and it's not g
Mimi 'Pans' Herondale
This was fun, but sometimes a little boring.
Zoe
Because this is a group read, all my thoughts will be seperated into chapter groups. There will be spoilers that won't have a spoiler tag so use caution!

................

Chapters 1-7: This gives a solid (yet vaguely info-dumpfy (is that a word???) start to the book. We see some mixed family member relationships (positive with her brother Jun, and perhaps not so positive with her mother) and then some important messenger guy delivers the news the Jun has deserted his Space Army post in search of
Floral Tea Cups B...: Dragon Pearl by Yoon Ha Lee 1 2 Apr 06, 2020 11:50AM
Books, Drinks & C...: *SPOILERS* Discussion on the completed book 1 4 Jul 05, 2019 06:08PM

• Aru Shah and the Song of Death (Pandava Quartet, #2)
  • The Storm Runner (The Storm Runner, #1)
  • Sal and Gabi Break the Universe (Sal and Gabi, #1)
  • Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky (Tristan Strong #1)
  • Race to the Sun
  • The Fire Keeper (The Storm Runner #2)
  • Aru Shah and the End of Time (Pandava Quartet, #1)
  • Aru Shah and the Tree of Wishes (Pandava Quartet, #3)
  • Sal and Gabi Fix the Universe (Sal and Gabi, #2)
  • Game of Stars (Kiranmala and the Kingdom Beyond, #2)
  • Riverland
  • The Tyrant’s Tomb (The Trials of Apollo, #4)
  • The Serpent's Secret (Kiranmala and the Kingdom Beyond, #1)
  • A Catalog of Storms
  • Lalani of the Distant Sea
  • Song for a Whale
  • Ghost Squad
  • The Strangers (Greystone Secrets, #1)
Yoon Ha Lee is an American science fiction writer born on January 26, 1979 in Houston, Texas. His first published story, “The Hundredth Question,” appeared in Fantasy & Science Fiction in 1999; since then, over two dozen further stories have appeared. He lives in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. ...more