Start by marking “Dragon Pearl” as Want to Read:
Dragon Pearl

Dragon Pearl

To keep the family safe, Min’s mother insists that none of them use any fox-magic, such as Charm or shape-shifting. They must appear human at all times. Min feels hemmed in by the household rules and resents the endless chores, the cousins who crowd her, and the aunties who judge her. She would like nothing more than to escape Jinju, her neglected, dust-ridden, and impover ...more
Published January 15th 2019 by Rick Riordan Presents

To ask other readers questions about Dragon Pearl, please sign up.
Sarah They are books that draw on different world mythologies (Mayan, West African, Hindu, etc.) that Rick Riordan edits. He's using his fame to draw…moreThey are books that draw on different world mythologies (Mayan, West African, Hindu, etc.) that Rick Riordan edits. He's using his fame to draw attention to diverse books he lacks the cultural background to write himself.(less)

Rick Riordan
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Thousand Dangerous Worlds

Min is just your regular teenaged fox spirit, living with her family on the dusty backwater world of Jinju.

Oh, sure, like all fox spirits, she can change shape into whatever she wants: human, fox, even a dining table. And, yes, she has the power to Charm -- to manipulate human emotions and make people see things that aren’t there. But that’s not very exciting when you’re stuck on the family farm, sleeping every night in a crowded common room with your snoring cousins,
Melanie

May 16th - Chapters 23 - 28
May 17th - Chapters 29 - End

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

The cover of this book is sooooo cute!

This was a really good middle-grade book!!

Happy Reading!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
megs_bookrack
Middle Grade Adventure at its BEST!!!

This rollicking space opera follows 13-y.o., Min, on her quest to find out what happened to her older brother, Jun.

When an investigator shows up at her house, accusing her older brother, Jun, of deserting the Space Forces, Min knows there has to be some mistake. Jun and Min had talked of joining the Forces their whole lives and going on grand adventures together. Now that he is a part of that world, Min knows he would never disgrace their family by deserting.
Acqua
This is one of the best things I've ever read.

Dragon Pearl is a Korean-inspired space opera following a teenage fox spirit, set in a queer-inclusive universe. I can't believe I almost didn't read it just because it was middle grade; if I hadn't loved Ninefox Gambit so much, I would have never picked it up, and that would have been such a mistake on my part. It is middle grade, that's the target audience, but Dragon Pearl is the kind of book that can be enjoyed by people of all ages.

I had almost
Bradley
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this specifically because it was penned by Yoon Ha Lee. I'm a completionist that way.

BUT, I'll be honest, I am not particularly fond of most YA. It tends to be cookie-cutter plots and characters that feel like dough. It's fine if you like fat and sweet things that aren't that good for you but still make you feel warm and fuzzy afterward. And sometimes not even that... sometimes there is just the gnawing guilt and the shame.

Not here, though! I really enjoyed it. Yoon Ha Lee proves he can w
Hannah Greendale
The lasting prejudice against us annoyed me. Other supernaturals, like dragons and goblins and shamans, could wield their magic openly, and were even praised for it. Dragons used their weather magic for agriculture and the time-consuming work of terraforming planets. Goblins, with their invisibility caps, could act as secret agents; their ability to summon food with their magical wands came in handy, too. Shamans were essential for communicating with the ancestors and spirits, of course. We fox
Hilly
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: middle-grade, korea

Well, this didn’t go as expected. Dragon Pearl was my most anticipated Rick Riordan Presents book because it's a space opera with Korean mythology elements. However, I didn't enjoy this as much as I wanted to. I was hesitant to round my rating to 3 stars because I feel I didn't quite like it at that level, but 2 stars was too low of a rating for it.

The main problem I had with this book is that it's bland. It's not exciting or mind-blowing, and I feel mostly neutral towards it. It's actu
Alexandra Elend Wolf

“Seems to me, Min, you make your own luck.”

I entered this book with so many expectations -why do I keep doing this to myself?- and, oh so hype, the premise seemed really cool and, well, it didn't help up.

I kept falling asleep every time I read more than a couple of pages. I'm not even kidding, it was Every. Single. Time. I think I ended reading it more asleep than awake at the end.

It's probably just the fact that I had so many expectations, one of them being that the story was gon
Nicole N. (A Myriad of Books)
Space opera based on KOREAN mythology. My people! Someone hold me.
Trish
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first book by this author and I was confused why he'd need a "Rick Riordan presents" on the cover. I still don't know. But Rick Riordan has character art and more insight on his website so maybe he's writing in the universe of the thousand worlds?

We follow 13-year-old Min

as she is told that her older brother has deserted the military. To clear his name and possibly save him, she embarks on a journey all alone. Apparently, it all has to do with the mythical Dragon Pearl that can supposedly ter
Dani - Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

To keep the family safe, 13 year old Min’s mother insists that none of them use any fox-magic, such as Charm or shape-shifting. They must appear human at all times. Min feels hemmed in and resents the endless chores, the cousins who crowd her, and the aunties who judge her. She would like nothing more than to escape Jinju, her neglected, dust-ridden, and impoverished planet. When word arrives that Jun is suspected of leaving his post to go in se
Lata
I liked this fast-paced story a lot. When Kim Min, young fox spirit, hears that her older brother is suspected of deserting from his Space Forces post in a quest to find the Dragon Pearl, she accidentally knocks the Investigator who brought the news unconscious and decides she has to find her brother. (Now, if I'd just done that to someone, I don't think I'd be thinking of leaving the planet, but it's a great start to this story.) Min, after tricking her way onto a ship and getting injured in a ...more
The Captain
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Ahoy there me mateys! I have been meaning to read more of this author’s work ever since I read the odd but interesting short story called the starship and the temple cat. It can be found for free at the beneath ceasless skies website by clicking here. I do own the first book in his machineries of the empire series but haven’t yet read it. I decided to tackle this young adult title first.

The story follows a young fox spirit named Min who is biding her time until she can join the Space Forces like
Leona  Carstairs
This is my first Rick Riordan presents novel, and I must admit that I am disappointed. The idea of RR presents is a good one. It's very admirable that RR is using his fame to help other authors share stories that involve their various cultural backgrounds but quality-wise this book was nothing like a RR book. I didn't expect this to be like one of his books, but I did expect it to be GOOD which it was not.

Both the ending and the beginning are stupid and the middle is boring. All the characters
CW (The Quiet Pond) ✨
Loved this!
I thought this was such a delightful and fun space adventure. Can't wait to read Lee's adult SFF books now.

- Follows Min, a young teen who lives in the poorer fringes of the galaxy and is a fox spirit! She runs away from home to try and find her brother, who has been accused of being a deserter.
- It's a wonderful adventure where Min meets gamblers, dragons and dokkaebi and tigers that take human form, and eventually finds her way to a battle cruiser where her brother was stationed.
Sharlize D'Souza
Feb 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
DNF'D at page 105. I really wanted to love it ..I just couldn't!
Kath (Read Forevermore)
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-arcs, reviews
A super fun and adventure filled book that any middle grade (and older) person will enjoy. I was honestly so happy when I heard about this book and my heart was literally jumping out of me because ASIAN REP IN MIDDLE GRADE, I'M LIVIN!! Also, the plotting, the character development, the writing and everything was honestly phenomenal. It taught important lessons, and like all books from the RRP series - with great humor that made me reminisce my younger years of reading uncle Rick's books.

**An ar
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
Mar 14, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2019, own
"Space opera based on Korean mythology."

EXCUSE ME?! *hits Want to Read until it breaks*
Sepani
This is the first time that I read a Korean mythology.
Though the book was not up-to what I expected, I'm not totally unsatisfied.
To be honest, the only reason that I selected this book because it said "Rick riordon presents".
Svenka
May 23, 2017 marked it as to-read
"Space opera based on Korean mythology."

Say no more.

may ☆彡
Aug 19, 2018 marked it as to-read
Finally, a book based on KOREAN mythology!!
I think I’ve been waiting forever for a book like this!!!!!
laurel [suspected bibliophile]
Korean mythology.

A feisty gumiho (fox girl).

A plot that does not let up.

And sci fi!

Color me delighted.

Seriously.

I was delighted and entertained by this incredibly original and complex world and the action-heavy plot. Occasionally I was like, "just let the girl take a nap or something!" because of the non-stop pace, but Min's relentless temerity and cleverness always saw her through every situation. Of course, her wit and cleverness is what you would expect of a fox.

I loved the magic system and t
Bogi Takács
Review probably a bit later IY"H? (I liked it :) )

Source of the book: Lawrence Public Library
Fran
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a gorgeous, excellent, beautiful adventure. I would like more right now, please.
Nhu
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I want to know more.
GrilledCheeseSamurai
If I could, I would give this three and a half stars, however, rounding up to 4 stars doesn't sit well with me, so, I guess I have to settle with a 3.

I did enjoy this book. I mean - its a quick and easy read and I was entertained the whole way through but I didn't really connect with any of the characters all that well. There just wasn't enough there for me to latch onto.

It's a stand-alone story, which is nice, but I'm not sure if I would have picked up 'the next book' had it been a series.
Anniek
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Rick Riordan Presents imprint has already proven to publish the most amazing and diverse middlegrade books, and again, it delivered. This was as much fun as it sounds.
Megan Agee
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I really liked the Korean mythology! This was a bit slow for me but the story was interesting. 🦊
Lindsay
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
The "Rick Riordan presents" imprint focuses on writers of different cultural backgrounds doing for their traditions what Riordan did for the Greek myths. In this one Yoon Ha Lee explores his Korean traditions with a space opera setting (The Thousand Worlds) that includes dragons, goblins, tiger and fox spirits and ghosts and starships that rely on things like good fortune and gi flows.

Kim Min is a 13-year old fox spirit living on a poor badly-terraformed colony world with her family. Fox spirits
  • Sal and Gabi Break the Universe
  • Race to the Sun
  • The Storm Runner (The Storm Runner, #1)
  • Tristan Strong Punches A Hole In The Sky (Tristan Strong #1)
  • Aru Shah and the Song of Death (Pandava Quartet, #2)
  • Paola Santiago and the Drowned Palace
  • The Dragon Warrior
  • Rebel Seoul (Rebel Seoul, #1)
  • Wicked Fox (Gumiho, #1)
  • Guardians of Dawn (Guardians of Dawn, #1)
  • The Kingdom
  • Unwritten
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Ruse (Want, #2)
  • The Epic Crush of Genie Lo (The Epic Crush of Genie Lo #1)
  • The Pioneer (The Pioneer, #1)
  • Seven Deadly Shadows
  • Prelude to Mayhem (Mayhem Wave, #1)
Yoon Ha Lee is an American science fiction writer born on January 26, 1979 in Houston, Texas. His first published story, “The Hundredth Question,” appeared in Fantasy & Science Fiction in 1999; since then, over two dozen further stories have appeared. He lives in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.