Start by marking “The Lost Season of Love and Snow” as Want to Read:
The Lost Season of Love and Snow

The Lost Season of Love and Snow

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  199 Ratings  ·  87 Reviews
The unforgettable story of Alexander Pushkin’s beautiful wife, Natalya, a woman much admired at Court, and how she became reviled as the villain of St. Petersburg.

At the age of sixteen, Natalya Goncharova is stunningly beautiful and intellectually curious. But while she finds joy in French translations and a history of Russian poetry, her family is more concerned with her
Published January 2nd 2018 by St. Martin's Griffin

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
First I want to say that I really need to read EVGENY ONEGIN. I've seen the movie with Ralph Fiennes and Liv Tyler and it's a fabulous movie. And, I own the book. I just haven't read it. However, after reading this book I truly need to find some time to get to EVGENY ONEGIN. Also, I quite badly want to re-watch the movie.

READ THE REST OF THE REVIEW OVER AT FRESH FICTION!
Karen Kay
I received this from netgalley.com in exchange for a review.

This story focuses (heavily) on the 'romantic' relationship between the Russian poet Alexander Pushkin and his young beautiful wife Natalya. Alexander dies of wounds suffered in a duel protecting Natalya as well as his own honor.

I began to lose interest half-way through the book. The book just didn't move forward, rehashing personalities over and over. It got to be 'second verse, same as the first'. And Tsar Nicolas .... what a letch!

Meg - A Bookish Affair
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
"The Lost Season of Love and Snow" is the story of Natalya, the wife of famous Russian writer Alexander Pushkin. While I have not read anything by Pushkin (after reading this book, I might need to change that), I was familiar with some of the details of his life to include his untimely end. I was not familiar with his wife and the impact that she had on his life so I was looking forward to hearing her side of the story through this book and I was certainly not disappointed!

Come to find out, Nata
Александър
Това е първото изречение на романа:
"Когато един мъж ви казва, че е готов да умре за вас, понякога трябва да му повярвате."
... последното е още по-силно!

Това беше една страхотна книга, изпълнена с невероятни образи и завладяващ сюжет.
Не бих казал, че това е любовен роман, а по-скоро исторически. Фактологията е малко изменена, но книгата претендира за историческа действителност, както и разглежда последните години на Пушкин през погледа на една жена - неговата съпруга.
Действието е страхотно. Кни
Jenny Q
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I knew nothing about Alexander Pushkin other than that he was a famous poet, I knew nothing about his wife or that he died in a duel defending her honor, so of course once I saw the blurb for The Lost Season of Love and Snow, I had to read it. What a subject for a novel!

Despite being bound by the constraints of historical fact, this is very much a character-driven story. In the prologue, I was a bit put off by Natalya. Her husband has literally just breathed his last breath and all she can think
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
A strong novel focused on the life of Natalia Nickloaevna Goncharova, the eventual wife to the famous Russian poet Alexander Pushkin. Though the various trials Natalie faced both on her own and with her famous husband, Laam keeps a brisk pace and a fresh eye on her often-maligned main character.

Some of the events may be drawn out a tad too long, but this was a vivid re-imagination of the court of Tsar Nicholas I and the life that Natalie lived within it. I also appreciated that it offers a new
Калина Минчева
Реална оценка: 3.5 звезди
Все още събирам мислите си след прочита на тази история - може да се каже и изпише доста по темата, но най-добре според мен е всеки сам да прецени за себе си като прочете книгата. Не е голяма, но съдържа тежки истини за човека като индивид и като част от обществото. И за "вината" на жената и "мястото" й в един мъжки свят...
Габриела Видева
Реална оценка - 4,5
The Lit Bitch
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first book review of 2018 and I couldn’t have picked a better book to kick things off with. Though I read this in 2017, I am ringing in the new year with love and snow!

There is something about Jennifer Laam’s writing that I find so lovely and elegant. It’s hard to describe but her books are consistently good and well written which made me all the more anxious to read this one!

Laam clearly has an interest in Russia, as most of her novels are based on Russian history which is refreshing
Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)
From a young age, Natalya Goncharova has known that she must marry well. Even though she has a variety of interests, her mother is more concerned about her marriage prospects, which should be promising as Natalya is a very beautiful girl. At a Christmas Ball in 1828, she attracts the attention of the very famous Alexander Pushkin, Russia's most prized poet. What is even more exciting is that Natalya has read Pushkin's work and is a fan. This possible love connection should be exciting to her fam ...more
lacy [a ravenclaw library]
A special thank you goes out to Netgalley and St Martin's Griffin for allowing me to read this early! All thoughts and opinions are my own!

4.5 stars!

TW: sexual harassment, violent incident between Natalya and a side character.

What a beautiful story of love! I hardly took any notes, only a notecard, because I was just so entranced with the story of love. Natalya and Alexander have a special place in my heart and their love story will stay with me for a long time.

As this is historical fiction, i
L.P. Logan
Wonderfully detailed book on historical Russia that has no problem whisking the reader back in time to an age of Tsar's, poets, and grand society. I found the descriptions to be captivating in scenery, emotions, and detail, and had no trouble feeling like I was a fly on the wall to all the ins and outs of this historical fiction. It was intriguing.

And yet about 1/3 of the way in, all that detail and charm got lost. Instead of moving forward the story seemed to get bogged down with all the day-t
Brittany's Pages
To be honest, I really need to take a deep breath here.

Natalya is a young girl desperate to get out from under her strict Mother and to pursue her own study of Russian poetry. Her wish is granted when she captures the heart of Alexander Pushkin, the greatest Russian poet of the day. Their beautiful marriage is all any woman longs to have, but one misstep could ruin it forever.

The Lost Season of Love and Snow is probably one of the best books I have read this year. I really cannot rave about th
Elizabeth
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
This is an amazing book with a great story and interesting characters! As it turns out, based on factual history. Maybe I'm showing my ignorance here. But... I'd heard of Alexander Pushkin, but had never read his works, nor had I know that he had a wife! That's what really made the story interesting to me!

The story itself is well told and as I said, based on facts. The central character, Natalya, opens the story as a young woman living in Russia during the Tsarist times. She is aristocratic, bea
Marzie
Dec 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-net-galley
I received an Advance Reader Copy of this book from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

3.5 Stars

Natalya Goncharova Pushkina, reputed to be the most beautiful Russian woman in her day, has historically received a great deal of blame for the death of her husband Alexander Pushkin, Russia's most famous poet, in a duel fought over her reputation and his honor. The degree to which Natalya was responsible for the duel has long been debated by Pushkin historians. I agree with author Jennifer L
Margaret
This is my second book taking place in Russia in as many months. It’s also another look at a well-known historical figure through the eyes of his wife. Alexander Pushkin is the name I have heard but I’m not familiar with this works. Sometimes when this happens I find myself going back and reading what has been previously been published, such is the case with Pushkin.

This book begins with a prologue, Pushkin has been involved in a duel defending the honour of his wife Natayla. As she reflects on
Ashley
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
2.5
Patty
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I will admit to knowing the name Alexander Pushkin. But I will also admit that I didn’t know much more about the man than he was a famous poet. I’ve long been fascinated with various facets of Russian history so I knew that I was starting from a good place with The Lost Season of Love and Snow. The book is the imagined telling of the love story of Alexander and his wife Natalya through her eyes.

It was a time when women did not hold much power and the slightest scandal could ruin a woman forever.
Ginger Pollard
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book about the real life, albeit, little known poet Alexander Pushkin. The book glitters with the Russian Court of Tsar Nicolas I. Court life is one of my favorite subjects. I enjoyed the rivalry between Alexander's wife, the beautiful Natalya and her sisters. Also the rivalry between the men in Natalya's life who tried to win her affections and steal her away from her husband. The author portrays a wonderful life for this couple and their four children, though the husband and fat ...more
Milena
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
3.5 Stars

As a native Russian speaker who grew up with Pushkin's poetry I wanted to love The Last Season of Love and Snow. And even though I did enjoy it, I wasn't wowed by this book. I liked the fact that the story was told from Pushkin's wife, Natalya, point of view, the woman who was blamed for the poet's untimely demise. Like Ms. Laam noted, history is often unkind to beautiful and strong women who don't fit with society's expectations. Women have long been blamed for men's misfortunes and ha
Rosanne Lortz
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it
The Lost Season of Love and Snow tells the story of the Natalya, the wife of Russia’s most famous poet Alexander Pushkin. Courted by Pushkin at the young age of sixteen, the beautiful Natalya falls head over heels for him and becomes Madame Pushkina. Like most writers, Alexander struggles to make ends meet, and even though fame attends him, finances suffer. Natalya tries to assist her husband by transcribing his writing into clean manuscripts, and even though the newlyweds are poor (by rich peop ...more
Jencey/
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you to St. Martin’s Press for giving me a copy of the Lost Season of Love and Snow by Jennifer Laam. I was given this copy in exchange for an honest review.
How many of you have read Jennifer Laam before or are familiar with Russian history? This is my first time reading one of Jennifer’s books. I found Russian history fascinating. When one can take a look back and understand what the Russian society was like back in the early nineteenth century. She tells the story of Lady Pushkina the gr
Juliet Bookliterati
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Historical fiction is still my favourite genre, especially when it is takes a different look at real historical figures and their lives.  I know a bit about Russian poet Alexander Pushkin, and have studied some of his poetry as part of my degree course.  Apart from his poetry what people remember is his marriage to one of Moscow's most beautiful women, Natalya Pushkina, née Goncharova, who was blamed for his death after a flirtation led to a duel in which Pushkin was mortally wounded.  In The Lo ...more
Heather
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I always find novels set in Russia to be refreshing – a bit of history that I am least familiar with and it always presents a new time period or historical figure to me that I know nothing about. The fact that a historical novel is set in Russia will give me an immediate interest in picking it up to learn more. More than simply bringing me a new historical figure, Laam brings a literary figure who I know nothing but the name coming into the reading experience – Alexander Pushkin, and by extensio ...more
Wit & Wonder Books

*** ARC provided by the author for an honest review ***

During the Christmas of 1828, sixteen year old Natalya Goncharova goes to her first ball, and falls in love in The Lost Season of Love and Snow by Jennifer Laam.

Natalya has spent all of her sixteen years reading, studying, and learning to be a lady, while waiting to be a wife. As she is now sixteen she will be attending her first ball and hopefully find the love of her life.

At the ball she is the first to be asked to dance, and by Tolstoy no
Kilian Metcalf
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Netgalley for ARC.

A fictionalized life of Natalya Pushkin, the famous Russian poet, this novel tells the story of their relationship through the eyes of Alexander Pushkin's wife, one of the most beautiful women in Moscow. Only 16 when they first met, she immediately caught his eye, and eventually his heart.

Their life together was not easy. Alexander was jealous, Natalya liked to flirt. She thought it was harmless, but eventually it led to Alexander's death in a duel fought for her hono
Diana
Loved this book. Every character was interesting and well rounded. Romantic and compelling it made me feel like I was reading a modern take on classic Russian literature. For more on my review check out the Wine, Women and Words Literary podcast.
Kathy
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Lost Season of Love and Snow tells of the courtship, romance and marriage of Alexander Pushkin, Russia's premier poet, and his wife Natalya Goncharova in the early 1800s. While her words can be quite descriptive of the Russian settings, I know I am swimming upstream when I say that the characters appeared stilted and wooden to me, and the book was all too easy for me to put down.

This "unforgettable love story" is not as advertised in my humble opinion.

My apologies to NetGalley and St. Marti
Melissa
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: b-n, favorite-authors, own
How does the saying go? This book killed my soul, here read it.

Tis how I am feeling right now. I love Jennifer Laam this is the third of her books I have read. And it is as masterful as the others. Even more so that it hit me so emotionally. This is one of my biggest fears in life, finding the perfect man for me, being completely and utterly in love, and losing him.

But she has us prepared for this fact in the very beginning chapter. So you read page after page watching their love story evolve fu
Dawning  Moon
This was enjoyable and entertaining. Even if it was slow, but Natalya sufficed as a character that entertained and her thoughts were enjoyable, relatable and entertaining.

She is different from the other girls, who loved her glasses. Her love for the art, and wish to be different. A reason why she could end up drawing Alexander in the first place. The realness of her character, her thoughts never seemed to be superficial. But almost showing a lot of what she thought, she still lived within the ti
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
ACPL Online Book ...: Tragic Romance ... that mostly really happened 1 6 Jan 16, 2018 12:17PM
Synopsis in Spanish // Sinopsis in Español 1 1 Jan 05, 2018 07:13AM
Jennifer Laam is the author of THE SECRET DAUGHTER OF THE TSAR, THE TSARINA'S LEGACY, and the forthcoming THE LOST SEASON OF LOVE AND SNOW (January 2018), all from St. Martin's Griffin. Jennifer has lived in Los Angeles and the suburbs of Detroit, and has traveled in Russia, England, France, and Finland. When away from her computer, she enjoys fussing over animals, binge watching her favorite TV s ...more