Start by marking “Flight Season” as Want to Read:
Flight Season

Flight Season

Back when they were still strangers, TJ Carvalho witnessed the only moment in Vivi Flannigans life when she lost control entirely. Now, TJ cant seem to erase that moment from his mind, no matter how hard he tries. Vivi doesnt remember any of it, but shes determined to leave it far behind. And she will.

But when Vivi returns home from her first year away at college, her big
Published February 20th 2018 by Wednesday Books

Start your review of Flight Season
✨ A ✨
But the amazing thing about those birds? Their mental maps are so incredible, so wide, that as soon as the storm passes, theyre back on course, headed home.
Sometimes I wish I had bird brains.

Marie Marquardt's best book yet. I can't put into words how much I enjoyed this book. It made me cry and it brought me joy. I can not stop thinking about it. It is definitely reread worthy.

Is this even a review? Meh, idek my brain isn't functioning properly right now.

Instead we rest together above the
Emma
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
4.5
When I started this book I didn't really know what to expect and I'm happy to say I was pleasantly surprised. There are a lot of issues this book deals with, but all are brought up with such care that it is truly compelling to read about them. Flight Season talks about loss, immigration, the US college system and so much more. It talks about things people can relate to.
The most magnetic part of this story is the beautiful friendship that the three narrators have. It's truly the focus point
Morgan Smith
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was absolutely beautiful. The novel follows three main characters: Vivi Flannigan, a college sophomore who is struggling in school after the death of her father, TJ Carvalho, a nursing student working at his huge family's restaurant, and Ángel Solís, an orphaned immigrant from Guatemala who has a life-threatening heart condition. These three characters are thrown together when Vivi gets a summer internship at a hospital- the same hospital where TJ cares for Ángel. What follows is a ...more
☆Dani☆ ☆Touch My Spine Book Reviews☆
Wow, what a beautifully crafted book from three remarkable POVs! This book was amazing and beautiful and every way. Everything you need in a novel is in Flight Season. This book not only captured my heart, I learned a thing or two!
Tijana
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
ARC provided via NetGalley 632 years ago and I've got no idea why I didn't finish it until now.

If you need me to stay away from you, Ill stay away. If you need me to help you steal a scrawny pain-in-the-ass kid from the hospital, Ill do that, too.

Such a beautifully heartbreaking story.
Being in these characters' heads was a pure treasure.
The writing style is like a silk.
And being an immigrant myself, the book subject hit close to home.

I would definitely recommend this novel to anyone who'd like
Samantha (WLABB)
Marquardt did it again! She made me feel all sorts of wonderful emotions and delivered a beautiful story.

Marquardt impressed me with her last book, The Radius of Us, and I was therefore eager to read more of her work. I was surprised to find that I could love her new book more than her last, but that is exactly what happened.

Pro: I fell for all three main characters instantly. They were all so unique, and each brought something special to this story.

Pro: Vivi, TJ, and Ángel were all so
Darinda
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Vivi, TJ, and Ángel. Each has a story to tell.

A sweet and emotional coming-of-age story. Told through alternating points of view, the three characters tell their story. Vivi has returned home for the summer after her first year away at college. It was a tough year for Vivi because her father died, plus she struggled academically. She hopes to get back on track by working as a hospital intern for the summer. TJ works hard at a hospital during the day and a restaurant at night. He dreams of
Cassandra {semi-hiatus}
Solid 4.5 stars. (Half stars GR, get the memo!)

Wow. I didn't expect this to be as emotionally moving as it was. I certainly didn't expect to love Vivi, TJ, and Angel as much as I did. There was nothing I didn't love about this book. Nothing.

This review will be a struggle to write. I loved the characters that much.
Fatma
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-w-pictures

I really enjoyed Flight Season! The characters were well drawn out with solid, distinct dynamics. My only critique is, I started out this book really into it, but for some reason, I feel like my interest in it kind of waned by the end. I think I didn't really love the way the romance panned out, but definitely nothing major. Overall, a well-written book with complex characters and some pretty heavy subject matterloss of a parent, deportationthat Marquardt totally manages to pull off.
Magdalena Deniz
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK IS SO GOOD I CANT STOP CRYING. NOT ONLY IS THE LANGUAGE BEAUTIFUL BUT THE CHARACTERS FEEL REAL FEELINGS AND EVERYTHING IS SO WONDERFUL

IM CRYIG SO HARD DIVIDJVISJCHAHDAHVS
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
Brilliant story from a gifted writer. I was really blown away by the intense characters and the real and raw stories of each of the individual characters. There are 3 POVs and each is unique and different and each was so special and easy to relate to. The story is deep, powerful and one I will remember for a long time to come. A must read for all lovers of deeply woven story will wonderful characters as well as a super setting.
Tikaa
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such an incredibly important read. I cant wait to review this ❤😭 ...more
luna ☾
Full review now posted.
(This review can also be found on my blog!)

"Why is it that we don't want to let the dead be gone?"

[4/5]

(Thanks to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for providing me with an Advanced Reader Copy in exchange for an honest review!)

Flight Season is a sweet read, lovingly packaged and wrapped in a soft, velvety, pink bow made of floating hearts and twittering birds.

Yep. It's that fluffy.

This might be more of a personal opinion, but what drew me into this book from the
Madison
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Flight Season is a beautiful, heartbreaking book that had me smiling and laughing and crying, both despairing and rejoicing in humanity, and so happy just to spend a little time with these amazing characters.

Vivi Flannigan has returned home from college for the summer to pull her life together. If she can stick it out at her hospital internship she might have a slim hope of passing her semester's courses. If she can help her mother get back on track, she might be able to save their home. And if
Adele
A huge Thank You to St. Martin's Press via Netgalley, for allowing me to read Flight Season in exchange for an honest review.

Trigger Warning: Death & Grief

The rest of this review may contain spoilers. (view spoiler)
Daphnee (daphneereads)
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Flight Season by Marie Marquardt was so beautiful! It is about grief, love, sickness and family. It really surprised me and filled me with hope.

Thank you NetGalley for the ebook in exchange of a honest review.
Meg - A Bookish Affair
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, young-adult, 2018
4.5 stars. "Flight Season" is the story of three very different people: Vivi, TJ, and Angel. Vivi is trying to fix her life after losing her beloved father. Every turn seems to throw more difficulty at her: failing grades, a mother who seems too lost in grief and flakiness to take care of things, and a general uneasy feeling about her future life path. TJ seems stuck in his family business while trying to make something of himself outside of his job at the family restaurant. Angel wanted a ...more
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: immigration, 2018
This captivating story wrestles with grief and death and pain we cannot control in stunning ways. I cried with the characters and was deeply moved by example to not turn away from suffering. Absolutely beautiful.
Morgan
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and heartbreaking are just two of many words than can used to describe Marie Marquardts Flight Season.

The story follows three points of view; Vivi, a college sophomore, struggling with the grief associated with her fathers death; T.J., a nursing student and nurses aide, working toward a career outside of his familys restaurant; and Ángel, an eighteen year old immigrant suffering from a life threatening heart condition. When Vivi and T.J. are thrown together to care for Ángel, theyre
Gilly Segal
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Flight Season is a gorgeous tale of love and loss and the power of human connection to heal. This is a stay-up-way-too-late-because-you-can't-put-it-down kind of story.

Main characters TJ, Vivi and Angel are strikingly drawn, so real and raw and fleshed out, I know them. More than that - I *was* them, we all were - young adults stumbling and fumbling through the transition into adulthood in all its pain and glory. I truly appreciate the focus on a slightly older set of characters. Young adulthood
Lethmi
Sep 30, 2017 added it
What a beautiful book. Frankly, I do not think the blurb does not do this book justice, and I'm finding it hard to find the words to express how poignant I think it is. I think I expected a typical romantic comedy with a slightly annoying sick person to bring the other leads together. Instead, the story introduces two complex stories of people struggling to find peace with the world and three characters I really loved. TJs story is underplayed but there are moments when the beauty of small ...more
Sumaya Musse
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would recommend for anyone who isn't afraid of a good cry! For a full review, follow the link: https://suereadingcorner.wordpress.co...
Sara Strand
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So this book has a fairly annoying main character, Vivi, that normally I wouldn't like and it would make me not want to finish the book. She's 100% clueless, she has no backbone, and she's just tough to love. The we have TJ, who I liked right away even if he was kind of a jerk to Vivi in the beginning. The two know each other, or TJ knows Vivi, because of a really stupid drunken night that Vivi can't remember (which is maybe OK) but TJ remembers it vividly. They find themselves together again at ...more
Forever Young Adult
Bonus Factors: Florida, Bird Watching
Factor: College
Anti-Bonus Factors: Immigration Laws
Relationship Status: Birds Of A Feather

Read the full book report here.
Sarah Llewellyn
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an absolutely beautiful book. I was expecting a fluffy YA rom-com when I picked it up, but it was so much more than that. Really sophisticated, and funny, with a timely (and absolutely devastating) story of immigration and deportation going along with the romance (and a wee bit of magical realism!). I loved the theme of grief, and how people deal with it differently, and how those who really love you will stay with you through it.
Claire
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! I was looking for a simple read, (which this definitely was), and was pleasantly surprised. I liked all the characters, and I liked how there wasn't too much romance. I also really liked the way the author started out some of the chapters with drawings and descriptions of birds from one of the character's journals; I thought it was very unique. I really liked the way the story unfolded and I thought the ending was perfect, not too cliche, but cute all the same.
Alisa
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Heartwarming, funny, and a overall a great story. Perfect for a touching, quick read!
Megan (Book Birds)
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For sure a new favourite. Review to come.
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book switches between the perspectives of 3 characters: Vivi, who has almost flunked out of Yale after her father's death, and has to complete an internship at a Florida hospital in order to go back, TJ, who has almost graduated from nursing school and is working at the hospital, and Angel, an immigrant teenage heart patient at the hospital. A moving young adult novel with very real, compelling, and unique characters. I couldn't put it down.

Many thanks to Goodreads and the publisher for a
Kalena W
5/5 stars

This was such a cute romance novel with brilliant everything. I loved everything except not entirely the romance of the book. The romance felt a little forced at times, but it was also very realistic and I loved the two characters invested in it. The characters loved each other no matter what even when they fought, they were both drawn back to each other.

I also really loved the authors writing style, it was just so nice. Everything felt so calm and connected, and it all flowed
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Unfortunates
  • Camp Valor (Camp Valor #1)
  • Price of Duty
  • Love Songs & Other Lies
  • Mascot
  • A Heart in a Body in the World
  • Forward Me Back To You
  • Little White Lies (Debutantes, #1)
  • Broken Beautiful Hearts
  • Saving Truth: Finding Meaning and Clarity in a Post-Truth World
I am an author of young adult novels, a college professor, and an immigration advocate.

How are these all connected? After many years as a researcher, service provider, and most importantly friend with immigrants to Georgia, I felt frustrated. I often spoke to groups about immigration and the need for immigration reform. I offered clear, rational explanations and data on why our immigration