Start by marking “Flight Season” as Want to Read:
Flight Season

Flight Season

Back when they were still strangers, TJ Carvalho witnessed the only moment in Vivi Flannigan’s life when she lost control entirely. Now, TJ can’t seem to erase that moment from his mind, no matter how hard he tries. Vivi doesn’t remember any of it, but she’s determined to leave it far behind. And she will.

But when Vivi returns home from her first year away at college, her
Published February 20th 2018 by Wednesday Books

Start your review of Flight Season
✨ A ✨
But the amazing thing about those birds? Their mental maps are so incredible, so wide, that as soon as the storm passes, they’re back on course, headed home.
Sometimes I wish I had bird brains.

Marie Marquardt's best book yet. I can't put into words how much I enjoyed this book. It made me cry and it brought me joy. I can not stop thinking about it. It is definitely reread worthy.

Is this even a review? Meh, idek my brain isn't functioning properly right now.

Instead we rest together above t
Warda
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Aren’t stories and books just the greatest inventions?

I didn’t connect too much with the story at first, but I think that was intentional. The main character wasn’t connected to herself. She’s blocking out memories, she’s willing herself not to feel the pain that forms with loss of a loved one, she can’t cry, she’s distracting herself with trivial life things, so she’s just about stable. Surviving. Moving along. And the story is moving along but nothing much was happening.

But slowly and surely
Emma
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
4.5
When I started this book I didn't really know what to expect and I'm happy to say I was pleasantly surprised. There are a lot of issues this book deals with, but all are brought up with such care that it is truly compelling to read about them. Flight Season talks about loss, immigration, the US college system and so much more. It talks about things people can relate to.
The most magnetic part of this story is the beautiful friendship that the three narrators have. It's truly the focus point
Morgan Smith
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was absolutely beautiful. The novel follows three main characters: Vivi Flannigan, a college sophomore who is struggling in school after the death of her father, TJ Carvalho, a nursing student working at his huge family's restaurant, and Ángel Solís, an orphaned immigrant from Guatemala who has a life-threatening heart condition. These three characters are thrown together when Vivi gets a summer internship at a hospital- the same hospital where TJ cares for Ángel. What follows is a bea ...more
☆Dani☆ ☆Touch My Spine Book Reviews☆
Wow, what a beautifully crafted book from three remarkable POVs! This book was amazing and beautiful and every way. Everything you need in a novel is in Flight Season. This book not only captured my heart, I learned a thing or two!
Tijana
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
ARC provided via NetGalley 632 years ago and I've got no idea why I didn't finish it until now.

“If you need me to stay away from you, I’ll stay away. If you need me to help you steal a scrawny pain-in-the-ass kid from the hospital, I’ll do that, too.”

Such a beautifully heartbreaking story.
Being in these characters' heads was a pure treasure.
The writing style is like a silk.
And being an immigrant myself, the book subject hit close to home.

I would definitely recommend this novel to anyone who'
Samantha (WLABB)
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Marquardt did it again! She made me feel all sorts of wonderful emotions and delivered a beautiful story.

Marquardt impressed me with her last book, The Radius of Us, and I was therefore eager to read more of her work. I was surprised to find that I could love her new book more than her last, but that is exactly what happened.

•Pro: I fell for all three main characters instantly. They were all so unique, and each brought something special to this story.

•Pro: Vivi, TJ, and Ángel were all so diffe
Darinda
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Vivi, TJ, and Ángel. Each has a story to tell.

A sweet and emotional coming-of-age story. Told through alternating points of view, the three characters tell their story. Vivi has returned home for the summer after her first year away at college. It was a tough year for Vivi because her father died, plus she struggled academically. She hopes to get back on track by working as a hospital intern for the summer. TJ works hard at a hospital during the day and a restaurant at night. He dreams of becomi
fatma
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it

I really enjoyed Flight Season! The characters were well drawn out with solid, distinct dynamics. My only critique is, I started out this book really into it, but for some reason, I feel like my interest in it kind of waned by the end. I think I didn't really love the way the romance panned out, but definitely nothing major. Overall, a well-written book with complex characters and some pretty heavy subject matter—loss of a parent, deportation—that Marquardt totally manages to pull off.
Magdalena Deniz
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK IS SO GOOD I CANT STOP CRYING. NOT ONLY IS THE LANGUAGE BEAUTIFUL BUT THE CHARACTERS FEEL REAL FEELINGS AND EVERYTHING IS SO WONDERFUL

IM CRYIG SO HARD DIVIDJVISJCHAHDAHVS
Cassandra
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reads-of-2017, arcs
Solid 4.5 stars. (Half stars GR, get the memo!)

Wow. I didn't expect this to be as emotionally moving as it was. I certainly didn't expect to love Vivi, TJ, and Angel as much as I did. There was nothing I didn't love about this book. Nothing.

This review will be a struggle to write. I loved the characters that much.
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
Brilliant story from a gifted writer. I was really blown away by the intense characters and the real and raw stories of each of the individual characters. There are 3 POVs and each is unique and different and each was so special and easy to relate to. The story is deep, powerful and one I will remember for a long time to come. A must read for all lovers of deeply woven story will wonderful characters as well as a super setting.
Tikaa
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such an incredibly important read. I can’t wait to review this ❤️😭
Madison
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Flight Season is a beautiful, heartbreaking book that had me smiling and laughing and crying, both despairing and rejoicing in humanity, and so happy just to spend a little time with these amazing characters.

Vivi Flannigan has returned home from college for the summer to pull her life together. If she can stick it out at her hospital internship she might have a slim hope of passing her semester's courses. If she can help her mother get back on track, she might be able to save their home. And if
Adele
A huge Thank You to St. Martin's Press via Netgalley, for allowing me to read Flight Season in exchange for an honest review.

Trigger Warning: Death & Grief

The rest of this review may contain spoilers. (view spoiler)
Daphnee (daphneereads)
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Flight Season by Marie Marquardt was so beautiful! It is about grief, love, sickness and family. It really surprised me and filled me with hope.

Thank you NetGalley for the ebook in exchange of a honest review.
Meg - A Bookish Affair
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, fiction, young-adult
4.5 stars. "Flight Season" is the story of three very different people: Vivi, TJ, and Angel. Vivi is trying to fix her life after losing her beloved father. Every turn seems to throw more difficulty at her: failing grades, a mother who seems too lost in grief and flakiness to take care of things, and a general uneasy feeling about her future life path. TJ seems stuck in his family business while trying to make something of himself outside of his job at the family restaurant. Angel wanted a bette ...more
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: immigration, 2018
This captivating story wrestles with grief and death and pain we cannot control in stunning ways. I cried with the characters and was deeply moved by example to not turn away from suffering. Absolutely beautiful.
Morgan
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and heartbreaking are just two of many words than can used to describe Marie Marquardt’s Flight Season.

The story follows three points of view; Vivi, a college sophomore, struggling with the grief associated with her father’s death; T.J., a nursing student and nurse’s aide, working toward a career outside of his family’s restaurant; and Ángel, an eighteen year old immigrant suffering from a life threatening heart condition. When Vivi and T.J. are thrown together to care for Ángel, they
Gilly Segal
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Flight Season is a gorgeous tale of love and loss and the power of human connection to heal. This is a stay-up-way-too-late-because-you-can't-put-it-down kind of story.

Main characters TJ, Vivi and Angel are strikingly drawn, so real and raw and fleshed out, I know them. More than that - I *was* them, we all were - young adults stumbling and fumbling through the transition into adulthood in all its pain and glory. I truly appreciate the focus on a slightly older set of characters. Young adulthood
Lethmi
Sep 30, 2017 added it
What a beautiful book. Frankly, I do not think the blurb does not do this book justice, and I'm finding it hard to find the words to express how poignant I think it is. I think I expected a typical romantic comedy with a slightly annoying sick person to bring the other leads together. Instead, the story introduces two complex stories of people struggling to find peace with the world and three characters I really loved. TJs story is underplayed but there are moments when the beauty of small actio ...more
Sumaya Musse
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would recommend for anyone who isn't afraid of a good cry! For a full review, follow the link: https://suereadingcorner.wordpress.co... ...more
Julie Fenske
Jan 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is exactly the kind of YA book I’d find on a Sunday at the library and finish in one night in high school, which is to say that I really enjoyed this book and it transported me back to a simpler time, so thank you, Flight Season!
All of the characters were intricate and likeable, and I really appreciated the fact that Vivi was coming out of her first year of college here - it sets the tone for a lot of the big topics that are explored and also it was just nice to read YA but make it college
Forever Young Adult
Bonus Factors: Florida, Bird Watching
Factor: College
Anti-Bonus Factors: Immigration Laws
Relationship Status: Birds Of A Feather

Read the full book report here.
Sarah Llewellyn
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an absolutely beautiful book. I was expecting a fluffy YA rom-com when I picked it up, but it was so much more than that. Really sophisticated, and funny, with a timely (and absolutely devastating) story of immigration and deportation going along with the romance (and a wee bit of magical realism!). I loved the theme of grief, and how people deal with it differently, and how those who really love you will stay with you through it.
Claire
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book! I was looking for a simple read, (which this definitely was), and was pleasantly surprised. I liked all the characters, and I liked how there wasn't too much romance. I also really liked the way the author started out some of the chapters with drawings and descriptions of birds from one of the character's journals; I thought it was very unique. I really liked the way the story unfolded and I thought the ending was perfect, not too cliche, but cute all the same. ...more
Alisa
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Heartwarming, funny, and a overall a great story. Perfect for a touching, quick read!
Megan (Book Birds)
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For sure a new favourite. Review to come.
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book switches between the perspectives of 3 characters: Vivi, who has almost flunked out of Yale after her father's death, and has to complete an internship at a Florida hospital in order to go back, TJ, who has almost graduated from nursing school and is working at the hospital, and Angel, an immigrant teenage heart patient at the hospital. A moving young adult novel with very real, compelling, and unique characters. I couldn't put it down.

Many thanks to Goodreads and the publisher for a f
Tara Weiss
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I fell hard for Flight Season. Loved it.
Well-planned and engaging, the story is told from the point of view of three characters. Blending Vivi's birdwatcher's journal with the plot of the story, Marquardt matches various species of birds with scenes from the story, and it worked so well I actually cared about birds, which I so often overlook (Note to HS English teachers: good classroom discussion point . . . what's right in front of us that we don't see?). While I know nothing of ornithology, I
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Unfortunates
  • Camp Valor
  • Someone I Used to Know
  • Neanderthal Opens the Door to the Universe
  • After The Shot Drops
  • Little White Lies (Debutantes, #1)
  • A Heart in a Body in the World
  • Mascot
  • The Escape of Light
  • That Night
  • The Speed of Falling Objects
  • Where I End and You Begin
  • Deadly Little Scandals (Debutantes, #2)
  • The Lovely and the Lost
  • Love Songs & Other Lies
  • I Know You Remember
  • Ordinary Hazards
  • Deep Water
I am an author of young adult novels, a college professor, and an immigration advocate.

How are these all connected? After many years as a researcher, service provider, and – most importantly – friend with immigrants to Georgia, I felt frustrated. I often spoke to groups about immigration and the need for immigration reform. I offered clear, rational explanations and data on why our immigration sy

News & Interviews