Start by marking “Paper Girls: Book One” as Want to Read:
Paper Girls: Book One

Paper Girls: Book One

(Paper Girls #1-2)

From BRIAN K. VAUGHAN, New York Times bestselling writer of SAGA, and CLIFF CHIANG, legendary artist of Wonder Woman, this gorgeous oversized deluxe hardcover is the perfect way to experience the first two storylines of the smash-hit series that The Chicago Tribune named one of the "Best Books of the Year."

In the early hours after Halloween of 1988, four 12-year-old newspa
Hardcover, Deluxe Edition, 320 pages
Published November 7th 2017 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Paper Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paper Girls

Start your review of Paper Girls: Book One
Richard
After falling in love with his Saga series, I wanted to branch out to other projects written by Brian K. Vaughan, and that led me here! The Paper Girls are Erin, Tiffany, Mackenzie, and KJ, pre-teen kids living in 1988 Cleveland, who meet on their respective newspaper routes early in the morning after Halloween, and find themselves dropped into an epic fantasy adventure.

This adventure of the Stranger Things/Goonies variety happens to be a bit of a mind-wreck filled with parallel timelines, multi
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I zipped through Paper Girls, Book One, in one night while watching a 90s movie about comic book people (can you guess which one?) - total coincidence because this is most often compared to Stranger Things. There is a girl gang, strange creatures, time travel, and danger! A lot of it is in Hoopla if you have it - this is Book One which is a compilation of Volumes 1&2, which already compile single issues. ...more
Melania 🍒
3,75/5

I don’t read a lot of Science Fiction so this was a very refreshing experience for me. First, the art is gorgeous, I think my favorite at this point .Then, the story is really engaging even it’s a lot to take in and in the beginning there are more things than are not making sense than things that are. But once you push through ,things are getting clearer.
And let’s admit, the whole idea of having pre-teens girls as main kick-ass characters that are chased by Apple as a future cult that run
Celeste
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Full (mini) review now posted!

I’ve been on the weirdest graphic novel kick. I usually prefer my books without pictures, but there’s something about this time of year when it’s cold and life gets incredibly busy that just makes me feel the need for something easier. Like graphic novels.

I picked up this omnibus because I love the 80s. And Stranger Things. And the synopsis promised bits of both. It delivered. This had knights riding pterodactyls, radioactive teenagers from the future, and our main
Brandon St Mark
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-manga, image
A really solid series by Brain K. Vaughan, Cliff Chiang, Matt Wilson, and Jared K. Fletcher. I don’t think it’s quite near the level of Vaughan’s and Fiona Staples’ Saga (which I think is their Magnum Opus if I’m being honest), but it is still really enjoyable and smart.

The setting(s?) are really fun, and so are the pop culture references (both pop culture past and pop culture present). The dialogue is fantastic, and really the entire experience is too.

Can’t wait for the second hard cover to com
Jacqueline
I fucking LOVE Brian K. Vaughan's writing. He writes the Saga comics too and those are my favorite comics. Paper Girls are right up there with the Saga series for me. The first ten issues of Paper Girls were a wild trip and I didn't want to stop reading. I highly recommend this series if you love time travel and monsters and badass chicks from the 80s.
Marnie  (Enchanted Bibliophile)
PG
Not sure why it took me so long to get around to these, because I love Brian's mind. The things and places he dreams up are out of this world. (Pun intended 😉)

Can't wait for the next issue; with that ominous ending who can?
Jakub Kvíz
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, kn-celendz-2019
When the series was announced back in the day I was really excited. I love Saga and I like Y: The Last Man too. I didn't really like We Stand on Guard so I was expecting another smash hit by BKV. And like John Locke from Lost used to say - I was wrong! Well, sort of... But anyways, I've dropped the series after the first story arc. Not like it was bad but reading it on monthly basis hasn't really worked for me. But since I kept hearing good things about it I knew I will get back to the series on ...more
Booklepuff
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was another great graphic novel series that lived up to the hype for me. This is a very strong 4.5 star read for me! I had high hopes for this one due to it being by Brian K Vaughan - the writer of Saga, and I was not disappointed.

Straight away the plot was weird, interesting and keeps you reading! At first lots of things happen but the more you read the more they click in place! I loved the science fiction, time travel elements and the characters reminded me of the Stranger Things gang.

T
Relstuart
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: image-comics, fantasy
Comparison to Stranger Things is apt in that you have four girls suddenly trying to navigate paranormal situations. Is it aliens? Is it time travel? Are there parallel universes? These girls are also from the 80s. Not as many 80s nods but the tech differences between now and then are significant. I'd read more. :)
Christopher (Donut)
Speaking as a non-fan of Saga, which everyone else LURVES, I cannot praise Paper Girls enough.

There is cringe in nearly every issue, if not on nearly every page, and yet the story is spell-binding.

Beth
Dec 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Eh I don’t think I’ll read any more of the series but I did love the art style!
Karin
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was so much fun! I have sooooo many questions. I will be starting the next book pretty soon! Stuff like this makes me think, why don't I read more comic series? There's so many good ones out there....
Maria
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don't know a 100% what this was that I read during my lunch break but I'm intrigued to know more.

Knowing Vaughn was behind this, I knew it was going to be weird but good and he didn't disappoint!
Cliff's drawing skills really shines through from panel to panel, letting the illustrations speak for themselves in a lot of panels while in others being the background for Vaughn.
Alex
Jan 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: american-indies
I'm not a sucker for sci-fi, and I didn't know what to expect by Vaughan after the mediocre "Pride of Bagdad" and dissapointing "Batman" he wrote. Still, I found this deluxe HC on a really good price and since he already worked on "Y", "Ex Machina" and "Saga" before (his Batman run was one of it's early steps in the business, too rough and sketchy) I wanted to see if he had something different to offer or if his PoV on writting comics changed at all.

Well, "Paper Girls" surely is based on a soli
Bill
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow -- okay, now I understand why so many people recommended this to me. This story of four papergirls in the 80's who encounter mystery after mystery starts off strong and keeps going at a quick pace. We get to know the characters as they encounter mysterious figures (well, some more familiar than others) who suggest a larger plot, a long game where the choices they make seem to have repercussions greater than they realize. The art is wonderful, especially the detailed backgrounds and wonderful ...more
Kristen
I see a lot of my Goodreads pals reading this series, so on a whim at the local library I picked up this book (volumes 1 & 2 in hardcover). I don't know what I assumed prior to reading it -- probably made some snap judgments because it's the brightest, most vivid pink that it would feature lots of teen girl drama and gossip. Not my jam.

But this comic is SO. GOOD. It has major "Stranger Things" vibes, except instead of a group of gangly 8th grade boys, it features a badass all-girl paper gang. I
Jenni
I sure did not expect to like this as much as I did. I mean, I only checked this out because the cover has girls riding bicycles. Excellent reason, if you ask me, and such an excellent cover. And this did not disappoint. It has girls being awesome and kicking ass, some time travel, alien species, a whole lot going on, and it all works. Despite having a lot of elements, the story is easy to follow and very, very intriguing. And the art. Oh the art! I am so in love with the way this was drawn and ...more
Chelsea (chelsea.wilde)
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
5 HUGE INTERGALACTIC, TIME TRAVEL, SPACE ALIEN INVADING STARS! Woo! I did not expect that going into this graphic novel but there are ALIENS and robots and dinosaurs everywhere! What an awesome story! Can you tell I’m excited ?

Full review to come on my blog but just know .. you should definitely read this. No questions. The story line is amazing and the illustrations are top notch. Favourite graphic novel of 2018 so far.
Freya
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review to come :)
Kelley
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
so. good. art, esp. the covers are to die for. every inch is so dynamic! the characters are so cool; I went into the series expecting some decent young girl mc's and these girls are now my role models.

read if you want to see some badass kids rule the whole genre of sci-fi!
Christopher Wolbert
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
BKV is the best story teller!
♥ britt (Blissfully-Read) ♥
This was a fun storyline, and I loved the artwork!! The colors/hues were so beautiful!! Definitely continuing on
Margarita (margaritathedrink)
Truly ICONIC

This series is just wow. Every page had me saying "wtf is going on?!" And I love books that mind Fuck me.

Its like stand by me meets war of the worlds but with a bunch of 12(ish) year old girls. No love stories, no boys as the main character... just girls, friendship and sci-fi.

Immediately just ordered vol 3 because I need to know what happens next.
Stacie
I'm a huge fan of the Saga series, so of course I wanted to check out Vaughan's other work, but Paper Girls was just okay. I've heard it compared to Stranger Things, and although it's slightly reminiscent of that show, it doesn't have the same vibe.

Paper Girls is about a group of girls that get involved with some sort of time travel and wacky adventures ensue. Truth be told, it was a little confusing. The weird stuff going on could be aliens, clones, parallel universes...who knows? Normally I e
Matt Smith
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've been reading Brian K. Vaughan's work since I was in high school. Something about his writing has always worked for me, from the top of his game (Y: The Last Man, Saga, Runaways) to the stuff that I acknowledge was not my favorite (Ex Machina, The Private Eye) his writing and storytelling just appeals to my sensibilities. His voice needles into my brain and tickles all the happy places.

If Ex Machina was Vaughan's parallel track to Y: The Last Man, a sort of lesser piece that's just him being
Hugo
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
stellar read, too short

The art style is probably one of my favorite aspects of this graphic novel. on top of being visually impactful, it is internally consistent with itself (they did not change who did what from edition to edition). It has the feeling of IT, Stranger Things, and any other coming of age YA narrative that is compelling and easy to ready, while not shying away from hard truths (SPOILERS*** EX: one of the characters is a lesbian, another is gets her period, etc. but all of these t
Peter
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
BKV is a mixed bag. If you’ve read Saga and Y: The Last Man and Runaways, you know he knows how to move a series along, with the right cadence of deep felt moments and cliffhanger change ups. The change ups get tiring, though.

I have a soft spot for this series because I was a 12 year old paperboy in 1988. I had The Goonies, The Explorers, Stand By Me and Monster Squad setting expectations, and I thought maybe being 12 and having this core group of friends was something more magical than it was.
Patat
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, graphic-novels
Stranger things from the Saga author... Sign me up!!

This was a recommendation of my sister mostly. I read Saga some time ago, and my sister began with Paper Girls. I loved Saga and she loved Paper Girls, so we kind of switched.
I liked it, simple as that.

The reason I didn't give it 5 stars is actually pretty dumb. I was expecting something like Saga, while my sister warned me it's something completely different, but I didn't listen.

description

I was expecting a story were I would learn to have a love/hate
Amber Lea
Sep 17, 2020 rated it liked it
uhh, does anyone else feel like they just got tricked into reading a really long advertisement for Apple?

It really does feel like it was written with the thought "How can we make Apple look cool and like they're on the cutting edge of technology?"

I feel like the only way to respect this story is to pretend that Apple was inserted into the story after the fact.

Product placement aside, this is basically Stranger Things, but with girls. It's okay, but not particularly mind blowing. One thing that's
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Sweet Tooth: Deluxe Edition, Book One
  • Heavy Vinyl: Y2K-O!
  • The Wicked + the Divine Deluxe Edition: Year Four
  • East of West: The Apocalypse, Year One
Brian K. Vaughan is the writer and co-creator of comic-book series including SAGA, PAPER GIRLS, Y THE LAST MAN, RUNAWAYS, and most recently, BARRIER, a digital comic with artist Marcos Martin about immigration, available from their pay-what-you-want site www.PanelSyndicate.com

BKV's work has been recognized at the Eisner, Harvey, Hugo, Shuster, Eagle, and British Fantasy Awards. He sometimes writes

Paper Girls (6 books)
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 1 (Paper Girls, #1)
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 2