Start by marking “Brain Dead Blues” as Want to Read:
Brain Dead Blues

Brain Dead Blues

From the author of What Do Monsters Fear? comes a thrilling debut collection of short fiction. Included is an exclusive novella, God is In The Radio, in which an ageing rock-star pens a song with help from a peculiar old man, one that leaves his fans itching for more...one he calls “Brain Dead Blues.”

Eleven additional tales of monsters, murder, and the supernatural lie w
Published May 1st 2017 by Sinister Grin Press

To ask other readers questions about Brain Dead Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brain Dead Blues

Start your review of Brain Dead Blues
Glenn Rolfe
Apr 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An awesome collection of short stories and a great introduction to a bright new voice in the horror genre. Matt Hayward brings his best and shows you what life means to him. I'd say it's best summed up as rock n roll and monsters. Not a bad combination.

Brain Dead Blues isn't perfect, but then, perfection is hard to reach, especially straight out the gate.
That doesn't mean this collection isn't worthy–it totally is. I had so much fun taking my time with these stories.

Starting with "God is in the
 Reading Reindeer 2021 On Proxima Centauri
Review of BRAIN DEAD BLUES by Matt Hayward

My first reading of this author provided to be quite rewarding. Matt Hayward is an accomplished author, not a new jockey fresh out of the stable. BRAIN DEAD BLUES is an eclectic group of tales, bringing in diverse genres and categories. Many writers can bring horror, but only the outstanding bring horror so subtle that the monster is hugging your shoulders or sitting on your chest before you've realized your spine is chilled or your hair stands on end. M
Tim Meyer
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brain Dead Blues by Matt Hayward is a solid collection of short stories. It has a little bit of everything - cosmic horror, old tropes, classic monsters, new creations, coming-of-age, and all-out gore fests. Matt really shows his range as a creator, and although some of the topics and themes have been done to death, he still manages to keep his stories fresh and entertaining, avoiding the pitfalls of unoriginality. We need more voices like Matt Hayward's in the horror genre. I can't wait to read ...more
Steve Wynne
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Solid, fantastic collection. Burned through this puppy in two days. Highly recommended; favorite stories: Meeting Gregory, God is in the Radio. Grabbed me from the first page and didn't let go until the end. Can't wait to read more from Mr. Hayward. ...more
David Murphy
May 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For the first publication for Matt Hayward this book is astonishing. Every story in the collection is amazing and each one is very well written. It is clear that Matt will be one to watch in the horror genre, and I for one am looking forward to his future books.
Russell Coy
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A tremendously entertaining collection. Hayward takes many old tropes and approaches them from weird new angles, making for a fresh and propulsive read. Highly recommended.
Somer Canon
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love short story collections and am not at all hard to please in that department, but if I were, I'd still love this book. So many different locations, and yet a similarity to them all. So many different people, different situations, different big scaries. This was like a wonderful six-course meal. A little of this, little of that...all good. ...more
Valerie
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a great book of horror filled short stories from Matt Hayward! My second book I’ve read from him and I enjoy the joining of a musicians take on the horror genre! The first story sets the tone for the book, God is in The Radio! It even has tentacles in it! Few other favorites are Meeting Gregory-haunting story with feeling, That’s the Price You Pay-story of a mirror, vampires see themselves but the price to do so is high! My opinion, all the stories are good and well worth a read!
Rob Errera
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Irish author/musician Matt Hayward puts his impressive writing chops on display in his short story collection, Brain Dead Blues.
The lead story, “God Is In The Radio,” owes much to H.P. Lovecraft’sThe Music Of Eric Zahn,” only it’s more coherent and satisfying than the original. An aging rock star finds an inter-dimensional doorway hidden inside the notes of his latest tune.

Those little off notes in a Blues lick. The ones that make you think of sex and sin… Those blue notes and the trito

Dan Myers
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid Storytelling!!!

Quick, short, action-packed reads. Fabulous storytelling from an obvious fan of the tropes. However, they each have Mr. Hayward's own special twists to them. Keep an eye on Matt Hayward...he's a special up and comer!!!
Yvonne (go.for.a.walk.chuma)
Well done!

Es erstaunt mich immer wieder, wie viele gute Autoren es im englischsprachigen Raum zu entdecken gibt, von denen Deutschland anscheinend noch nie gehört, bzw. gelesen hat. So ist Matt Hayward definitiv ein weiterer, mehr als talentierter Erzähler auf meiner Liste der persönlichen Neuentdeckungen im Bereich Dark Horror Fiction. Dabei ist der aus Dublin stammende, für den Bram Stoker Award nominierte Autor recht vielseitig begabt und machte sich schon bevor er sich dem Schreiben widmete,
Dr. Fiona M. Clements-Russell
Matt Hayward rocks. This collection makes that statement official, if ever anyone might have been in doubt. It's a full-blown rock horror fest of the very highest calibre, and if you enjoy your scares to have more than a tinge of rock'n'roll excess to them, look no further.

I enjoyed every single story in this wonderful collection, and I just know I am going to be dredging this one out of my Kindle library in years to come. It's just a shame that there are only Five Stars to award, because this o
Ken Jensen
Some pretty good stories. But the first one was almost enough to make me stop reading the book. Written in a very slow style and way too much whining about how the music industry is different than in the past. Skip this and the later story with a musician for some decent short stories.
Jamie
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
You know that moment when you discover that one of your favorite recording artists is also phenomenal live in concert? (I hope you do.) It’s the same feeling when you find out that an author can write both novels and short fiction with an equal measure of talent. This is the feeling I encountered when I followed up my read of Matt Hayward’s first novel with his short fiction collection, Brain Dead Blues.

I enjoyed all of the stories, and the collection as a whole was a five-star read. Each story
Ryo Hazuki
Oct 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I 'll be honest. I was coming here to put three out of five stars. I started reading this collection at the beginning of the year, then I read a couple of stories a few months after that and finished it just yesterday (mid October). During the time I was reading it it felt good but nothing special. Except for a few stories like the opening God is in the Radio, Critter and Thats the Price you Pay. But now as I was looking back at the stories to make up my mind for my rating it seems I'm really li ...more
Alan Clark
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Matt Hayward is a fresh, new voice in horror. With BRAIN DEAD BLUES, he’s put together a delightful assortment of chills, in some ways a sampler of his larger works in future publications. Keep an eye out for his short fiction in magazines and anthologies, and look out for the novels to come!
Ash