Start by marking “The Bees: Down in the Garden” as Want to Read:
The Bees: Down in the Garden

The Bees: Down in the Garden

Down in the garden beyond the apple trees,
is a fading blue hive, full of busy bees...

Join the bees down in the garden on a day of fun, danger and adventure in this beautifully illustrated picture book. With a whimsical story and crisp, original illustrations, this is a story your children will want to read again and again.
Published May 29th 2015 by Cambridge Town Press

To ask other readers questions about The Bees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bees

Start your review of The Bees: Down in the Garden
Briar's Reviews
This story is full of soft, warm colours that was really nice on the eyes. The colours really complimented the sweet material written by D.C. Swain.

Some of the pictures are full pages, while others are only part of the page. It felt unique seeing the different styles, and I think it worked and didn't feel out of place. One page was the written words while the next was the complimenting picture. I think the bees were really cute and really well drawn.

There is a rhyming scheme that works really we
Mackey
I know many parents of young children are struggling to find interesting and hopefully educational activities to keep them occupied so today I'm sharing a book for Toddlers and Pre-Schoolers that is FREE at Amazon!

The Bees is a darling, rhyming book that describes in both verse and gorgeous illustrations about the day in the life of the bee. From gathering pollen to drinking nectar, children will see how busy these little bees work and also, hopefully, see that there is no reason to fear them. T
Brittany Lee {Healing Happy}
Cute and Whimsical
Do you have busy little bees at home?

This watercolor illustrated children’s book was cute and whimsical! Each page rhymed about the bees down in the garden, defending their hive, in an adorable way, not a cheesy or forced manner.

I think younger children will enjoy interacting with this short story and learning about the busy little bees.

This was book 1 of 3, with each book introducing a different animal.

I downloaded this e-book while it was available for free on Amazon. I was
Somia
Mar 23, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
3 Easy & Light Stars

A cute picture book about the garden life of bees, it is a tad short even for a kids book but a nice quick rhyming read.

Freebie on amazon.
Tyler J Gray
Sweet little children's story about bees. The words had a rhyming style that made me want to sing it and the pictures were cute.
Deborah O'Carroll
Adorable. ^_^ Sweet, simple story of some bees, told in rhyme, with cuddle-able drawings of positively ADORBZ bees!

First picture book I've read as an ebook (because free + bees = happy). (Not a fan of ebook format. But still an adorable little book!)
Kathy Heare Watts
This is a simple but sweet story about honey bees for small children. The illustrations are colorful and cute and the verses are rhyming. It can be a learning tool to explain to young children how bees are beneficial to flowers and pollination.
Irene
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, ebooks-read, english
Cute

Cute little story about the beea with really nice illustrations. Written in rhymes makes for a quicker read. Can recommend this for smaller kids.
Rose English
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 49 of my Goodreads Challenge

A beautiful little picture book in rhythm and rhyme. All about bees collecting honey and having a jolly good time.
Erika
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wish I learned more about the bees.
La Coccinelle
Sep 08, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This is a rhyming picture book about bees. It's not so much a story as it is a highly fictionalized "day in the life" of some bees. The pictures are cute and the meter is not so terrible as to be off-putting (although it isn't great). Young children might enjoy this one if they're curious about bees.
Mimia The Reader
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet book, really cute illustrations and a great introduction to how the bees work.
Recommended
Jazzmin
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute and Quick

This is one of the first children's books I've read on my kindle . Literally took me no time to get into. I really enjoyed the illustrations. A great story for children.
Katie Feliciano
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute

for very young audiences. Not very educational but a great introduction to bees . Very cute illustrations and rhyme scheme.
Aleetha
The illustration is cute.
Susan Barton
I chose this book because of the lovely cover art and because I adore children's books. This is a cute little story of the busy lives of bees. This can definitely be used as a stepping-stone to teach children how important bees are to our ecosystem. The book is rated for small children up to age 5 and as a parent, grandparent and former preschool teacher I'm certain it will entertain and hold the attention of little ones.

The illustrations are gorgeous, colorful and whimsical. The book is written
Rayleigh
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Bees is an absolutely adorable rhyming book that put a smile on my face as I read it. The pictures are sweet, simple, remind me very much of Beatrix Potter, and honestly would look lovely framed for decoration.

It follows and illustrates the daily routines of a particular hive of bees in their quest to make honey. The rhyming is well paced, well thought out, and matches the pictures quite perfectly. Just as the synopsis says, “this is a story your children will want to read again and again”!

I
Angela Lambkin
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful and exciting ebook about our bees' lives!

I found to be a very interesting, fun and great learning ebook with beautiful illustrations and nice sized print too! I would recommend for kids from 0-5 yrs. old or in grades P-2; who loves to learn new and interesting facts such as bees. For these reasons I have decided to give this five stars. I received this ebook for free and here is my honest review. Great job D.C.! By Angela
Carolyn Injoy
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents, grandparents, beginning readers, librarians & teachers
Recommended to Carolyn by: Amazon
The Bees, Down in The Garden Book One by DC Swain I received a free kindle copy of The Bees, Down in The Garden Book One by DC Swain With Anna Bonita in an Amazon promotion in exchange for a fair review.I gave this cleverly written rhyming children's book five stars. My favorite little boy loved the illustrations that went with the bee's activities.I recommend this for parents, grandparents, beginning readers, librarians & teachers. ...more
Eileen Carter
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
DC Swain has written a story that is easy to read, which will allow beginning readers to enjoy this story independently. The story gives the facts about honey bees in a fun way that children will enjoy and remember without realizing they are learning something. The illustrations are cute and colorful which will hold the youngest of readers attention.
Teachers will enjoy this book as they can use it as an added resource when teaching about the life cycle and job of a honey bee.
Joy
This book is one of those fiction books that is right on the line with nonfiction. I could totally use this in preK or kindergarten to introduce the subject of bees.

The book talks about a day in a honeybee hive, with workers going out to collect honey and also defending their hive from possible problems. The illustrations are great.
Julie Barrett
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Bees (Down in the Garden Book 1)
Colorful children's book about how bees work, especially in the garden and why they are important.
Story follows the bees throughout the day from the time they get up to the time they go to bed.
Other works by the author are highlighted at the end.
Stacey
For the young toddler or child who is fascinated by nature, this story gives a sweet visual of what bees do using pretty watercolor artwork and rhyming verse. This story worked very well on my kindle with the artwork on one page followed by the verse on the next.
Medeia Sharif
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute picture book detailing the activities of bees and the illustrations are precious. I don't read many picture books, but I couldn't resist when I saw this in a BookBub email.
Mary Ann
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, elementary
A cute intro to bees for the Pre-K ans kindergarten crowd with delightful illustrations.
Allie Tackett
At first I thought this book was too easy for my son but he loved this. The rhymes were just enough right before bed. I loved the illustrations of the book too.
Would read to my son again.
Devon
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute

This is a sweet book. My 2 and 4 yr olds enjoyed it. The illustrations are adorable and it gives young kids a basic idea of bees gathering pollen to make honey.
Crystal
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adorable bedtime story

I saw this book and figured it had to be cute it's a great bedtime story for a baby or tot. The illustrations are beautiful as well
Sammy Bell
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don’t normally download kids books but this one was about bees so I had too!! Lovely illustrations and a sweet little story, I loved it!
Molly priestly
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The bees

Good book to read to children! My grandson enjoyed it tremendously. He is only two years old. Didn't move an inch while I read it to him
« previous 1 3 next »

• Bearded: A Very Hairy Children's Book
  • Dragon's Breath
  • Welcome to Lily's Room (Lily Lemon Blossom)
  • Cedric The Shark...Gets Toothache!
  • Bees Like Flowers (Mummy Nature #2)
  • The Night the Monsters Came
  • Bedtime Little Bear
  • The Slug Prince
  • Dinosaur and Monster and The Magic Carpet (Dinosaur and Monster stories Book 1)
  • I Don't Want to Go to School
  • Hall-O-Ween!
  • Harry the Happy Mouse
  • Tempting a Marquess (A Steamy Regency Romance, #4)
  • Stanley and the Magic Spider
  • Marvin the Very Tall Bear
  • Elphie and Dad go on an Epic adventure (Elphie's books Book 1)
  • Flowy: English edition (Lucy's world Book 2)
  • Save the Ocean (Save the Earth, #1)
DC Swain is the author of several childrens books, including the popular Down in the Garden, How High Will It Fly? and Freddie Figg series.

He believes in creating stories that keep children engaged, while teaching simple life lessons. He has collaborated with illustrators from around the globe and only publishes stories that get his daughters' seal of approval.

He lives in a state of permanent chao