Jump to ratings and reviews

The Motivation Myth: How High Achievers Really Set Themselves Up to Win

From Inc.com's most popular columnist, a counterintuitive--but highly practical--guide to finding and maintaining the motivation to achieve great things.

It's comforting to imagine that superstars in their fields were just born better equipped than the rest of us. When a co-worker loses 20 pounds, or a friend runs a marathon while completing a huge project at work, we assume they have more grit, more willpower, more innate talent, and above all, more motivation to see their goals through.

But that's not at actually true, as popular Inc.com columnist Jeff Haden proves. "Motivation" as we know it is a myth. Motivation isn't the special sauce that we require at the beginning of any major change. In fact, motivation is a result of process, not a cause. Understanding this will change the way you approach any obstacle or big goal.

Haden shows us how to reframe our thinking about the relationship of motivation to success. He meets us at our level--at the beginning of any big goal we have for our lives, a little anxious and unsure about our way forward, a little burned by self-help books and strategies that have failed us in the past-and offers practical advice that anyone can use to stop stalling and start working on those dreams.

Haden takes the mystery out of accomplishment, proving that success isn't about spiritual awakening or a lightning bolt of inspiration --as Tony Robbins and adherents of The Secret believe--but instead, about clear and repeatable processes. Using his own advice, Haden has consistently drawn 2 million readers a month to his posts, completed a 107-mile long mountain bike race, and lost 10 pounds in a month.

Success isn't for the uniquely-qualified; it's possible for any person who understands the true nature of motivation. Jeff Haden can help you transcend average and make lasting positive change in your life.

288 pages, Hardcover

First published January 9, 2018

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Jeff Haden

5 books54 followers
Inc. Magazine contributing editor, speaker, author of The Motivation Myth: How High Achievers Really Set Themselves Up to WIn.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
274 (7%)
1 star
68 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 403 reviews
Profile Image for Bianca.
1,011 reviews871 followers
August 24, 2018
I downloaded this because it was available on the overdrive and it wasn't too long.

Unsurprisingly, it's written by an American. Is it just my impression or are most self-help books written by Americans? The only non-American self-help books I remember coming across were the Marie Kondo ones. Is it because Americans think they know it best, therefore, must share? Is it because of the constant strive for self-improvement, the you-can-be-anything-you-want-to-be mantra, which creates the demand? Or is my view skewed due to being on Goodreads? The thing is, the three advicey books I read so far this year were written by Americans. Sorry, going on a tangent, but I've been wondering...

Anyway, I didn't hate it. I think a lot of it had to do with the narrator of the audiobook, Ray Porter, who was excellent. Ok, and the occasional cussing, although I think it's starting to lose its "coolness", nevertheless, I still like it.

The Motivation Myth had some useful tidbits, hopefully, I'll remember some and stick to at least one, otherwise, I wasted my time, yet again. There weren't a lot of new ideas, but they were presented in a pragmatic, straight-forward way. As it's the case with most books in the genre, there was some repetition, but according to Haden, and science, repetition leads to improvement.

Read it/listen to it if you feel like it, or don't.
Profile Image for Fate's Lady.
1,227 reviews2 followers
January 12, 2018
Ableism warning!

I feel like I got a pretty decent handful of actionable takeaways and ideas from this book. It was also a delight, as always, to listen to Ray Porter reading. It lost a couple stars for not even trying to acknowledge that the advice is super ableist. A lot of it is useless or even harmful to people with disabilities of all kinds, but particularly for people with invisible disabilities, in my opinion. "Do x every day no excuses" is fine for people with typical bodies/health, but plenty of us out here are high achieving and successful despite severe limitations on our energy. Pushing through those limits can be tremendously damaging to our health, and it's taken me years to realize that "no excuses" advice like Haden gives here was actively remaking my health and well-being. There's absolutely zero mentions made or provisions given for people dealing with things like depression, chronic fatigue, severe insomnia, etc etc etc. Maybe he doesn't feel capable of addressing those concerns, but he should absolutely acknowledge them. He's doing a huge chunk of his potential readership a grave disservice otherwise.
Profile Image for Emma Sea.
2,172 reviews1,026 followers
June 13, 2018
Same old, same old. 'Success' is about the process. Set a goal, then forget about the goal. Focus on the day-to-day activities that will get you there. What matters is what you do today.
Profile Image for Heidi.
450 reviews23 followers
March 22, 2018
The two stars are for the first two and a half chapters. Those were about motivation and seemed useful - they get stars. Then it turned into a general self-help, entrepreneurship type book that actually contradicted earlier points, has sexist asides and was just... blegh. Everything else gets 0 stars.
Profile Image for Hel.
25 reviews
June 20, 2022
I had decided to avoid reading personal development books, since all the authors seem to repeat the same sentences, using hundreds of examples in order to sell more pages.
However, I have to admit that the first chapters of this book were different and quite informing. It really helped me gain a realistic understanding of what motivation is, and what it is not.
But unfortunately, after a spot, it started becoming like my other -not so good- experiences. Dozens of tiring examples, as if the reader is a 5 year old kid with no prior understanding. Repeating the same old advices for success, insisting that you can not succeed if you don’t follow these steps. Even advices which had nothing to do in a book about “motivation” (E.g. practical guide for starting a business!!)
All in all, I suggest you to read “a mind for numbers” by Barbara Oakley, which is way much more scientific and useful. Or just borrow this book and read the first chapters if you’d like to save some time and money.
Profile Image for Inna.
600 reviews118 followers
July 7, 2020
Я нарешті починаю вчитися читати нонфікшн правильно. Як я це визначаю? Другу частину можна було і не читати, наскільки вона далека від нашої реальності, але перша відкрила для мене кілька цікавих ідей. І через це я вважаю її корисною: вона просто відповіла мені на кілька питань і надала можливість подумати про нові підходи. Все. Не витрачайте час на те, що для вас не корисно.
Зупинюся тут на двох цікавих для себе думках автора. По-перше, він розказує про те, що велика мотивація рідко насправді рухає нас кудись через свою грандіозність і д��лекосяжність. Не часто таке нам кажуть, правда? Саме тому Джефф Гейден радить визначитися з тим, чого ви хочете, створити собі план, потім дрібніший план, поки ви не усвідомите свою щоденну планку, щоденний внесок у цю велику мету. Так от про мету треба забути, а пам’ятати саме про цей план, рутину повторюваних дій для того, щоб виробити навичку, спортивних вправ, які сьогодні навіть не обіцяють вам круту спортивну підготовку, кількість написаних сторінок, щоб колись ваші тексти читали мільйони. Мотивація виникає в процесі і підживлюється нашими маленькими досягненнями. Якщо ця рутина приноситиме вам задоволення і ви будете слідувати плану, все вийде, якщо кожного дня будете думати про прірву між вами-сьогодні і вами-що-досяг-мети, то ця прірва вас демотивуватиме.
Ще одна цікава думка стосувалася гласності стосовно ваших планів. Пам’ятаєте пораду, якщо хочете виконати якусь роботу, досягнути певної цілі, то поділіться цим з близькими чи навіть у соцмережах? Мовляв, ваша обіцянка світу, наче строгий наглядач, штурханами рухатиме вас вперед? З вами це працює? Я просто приймала, що цей спосіб не мій і ніколи не задумувалася чому. Джефф Гейден радить не розказувати нікому про свої важливі плани, бо коли ви оголошуєте про них і отримуєте хвилю підтримки і побажань наснаги, ви психологічно сприймаєте це як момент досягнення цілі – звичний момент для овацій оточуючих. Після цього нас просто важко взятися виконувати те, за що вже нас похвалили і що вже високо оцінили наче зроблене. Саме тому чим довше я мовчу про роботу над певною ціллю, тим краще в мене виходить. Словом, не кажи «гоп».
Profile Image for Cara.
53 reviews
January 31, 2018
It’s easy to get swept away by Big Dreams, and to brush off process as “the details.” Haden gives excellent advice for teaching yourself how to analyze your process, emphasizing that it’s consistent and concentrated efforts that achieve goals.

For those who already hard workers, the best advice may be the chapters (and sentences throughout) which emphasize that you can’t achieve dreams if you’re letting your process run you into financial, physical, or emotional ruin. While his enthusiasm can be very pedal to the metal in tone at times, each chapter contains reminders that a process which builds toward a goal as it tears down your well being is not a successful nor motivating process. As a productivity junkie, it’s tempting for me to look for the grind it out type of advice, but as I flip back through the book I’m trying to be conscious that, as Haden emphasizes, you can’t achieve anything if your process doesn’t take into account those pesky details like staying healthy and maintaining relationships.
Profile Image for Donna.
3,834 reviews2 followers
March 29, 2019
I liked this one. It is nonfiction about achieving your little heart's desires. I liked the positive tone this had. It was very reader friendly and it had some great takeaways for wherever you are at in life. I also liked that it didn't feel overwhelming. There were also some great quotable quotes. I feel I need to re-listen to the audio so that I can write some of them down.

As I listened to this, I thought my son needed to hear this. So now I have to figure out how to spring this on him in a way that won't be a "mom lecture." 4 stars.
March 4, 2018
If I were to describe this book with one word, I would say “honest”. Jeff very frankly talks about motivation, commitment, willpower and what it takes to be successful. He stresses that we are conditioned to say or do what is expected to be right. While most everyone says that family and friends are most important, many of us have other priorities. It doesn’t mean that we are bad. We are all different and we all have different goals. In first place we have to be honest with ourselves and decide on what we really want. Knowing what we want we should get in motion and start working on it. Real motivation doesn’t come from fire walks and talks. It comes from successes. That’s why on our way towards big goals we should set targets that are within our reach and focus on accomplishing them. If we want a perfect body we should focus on number of reps we do in a gym and not on our body weight. For whatever we wish to accomplish there is already a blueprint. There are many others who stepped the path. We should find out what they did. Pros can provide us with a priceless feedback. We have to go out of our comfort zone and reach out. Challenging ourselves is the only way to get better. It takes not only hard work and lots of sweat to be successful but also focus on what matters most. Sometimes to stay on track we have to be able to say no.
In short I read numerous books from the field and rarely someone says things as straight as Jeff. There is no empty talk. The book is confronting and is fun to read. Jeff is quite a personality; nascar pilot, photographer, ghostwriter, motivational speaker and certainly a sport fanatic. After reading I added pushups and squads to my morning routine...
Profile Image for Rosa Frei.
172 reviews4 followers
January 19, 2018
The author Jeff Haden reveals in his newly published book 'The Motivation Myth: How Achiever Really Set Themselves Up to Win' on the basis of his own life experiences and plenty of interviews with high achievers, how to set and reach your goals. Some of my favorite statements from the book are:

- 'Motivation is really a result. Motivation is the fire that starts burning after you manually, painfully, coax it into existence, and it feeds on the satisfaction of seeing yourself make progress.'

- 'There is only one recipe for gaining motivation: success.'

- 'Specifically, the dopamine hits we get when we observe ourselves making progress. Not huge, life-changing successes. Those come all too infrequently, if ever.'

- 'If you want to stay motivated, if you want to stay on track, if you want to keep making progress toward the things you hope to achieve, the key is to enjoy small, seemingly minor successes—but on a regular basis.'

There are plenty of books about success published on a regular basis, this is one to recommend!
Profile Image for Michael.
22 reviews1 follower
May 22, 2018
I’ll start by saying I did glean a few snippets of wisdom from this book (which is generally true from everything I read), but that did not make up for the overall lackluster content and sporadic nature of his writing.

The author is a ghost writer that primarily writes copy for magazines so it shouldn’t come as a surprise that it just felt like a string of ‘top 10’ lists and ‘get things done fast’ articles that didn’t really have much substance. There were a few references to studies done about behavioral science, but it just felt like he was summarizing other peoples work without synthesizing his own take or a unique perspective.

The author seems like he’s striving to better himself, which I admire, but his personal anecdotes were...dry, and the little jokes were unnecessary.

BUT the main reason I just can’t recommend this book is his dismissal of SMART goals. To start, in my option he incorrectly states that the ‘M’ stands for meaningful while it’s generally accepted and stated to be ‘measurable’.

Instead of trying to be contrarian and seem to break the mold by telling people to forget SMART goals he could have just incorporated the idea of ‘BSMART’ where B is ‘bold’ and should include the sense of inspiration he success he says can be attained by ‘forgetting your goals.’

He then proceeds to explain how it’s all about the daily process, the grind, putting rubber to the road (which I don’t disagree with) but he literally breaks his ‘process’ down into SMART goals. Specific: run three miles three times a week, eat <2500 calories a day. Measurable: do you have an pedometer or smart phone, do you have myfitnesspal to input food. attainable: yes, you aren’t trying to kill or starve yourself, relevant: yes, if you’re trying to run a marathon or lose 10 pounds. Time-bound: yes, he just reduces the time portion to ‘in every 24 hour period I will do....’

It’s a quick read so by all means give it a shot; at anyone want to free copy of ‘The Motivation Myth’ by Jeff Haden?

Profile Image for Olga.
41 reviews21 followers
October 9, 2021
Nie przeczytałam całości. Wydarłam z tej książki tyle, ile potrzebowałam, po czym dałam sobie z nią spokój, bo zmieniła się w neoliberalny grzmot. Całe mięso tak naprawdę zmieściłoby się w solidnym artykule - ale oczywiście na tym trudno zarobić, więc nie mam pretensji. 3 gwiazdki, bo to, czego mnie nauczyła, jest serio pomocne.
Profile Image for Christine.
1,133 reviews13 followers
July 7, 2022
I may have to come back to this one. Not motivated enough to finish. Wink, wink!
Profile Image for Lost In My Books.
247 reviews124 followers
December 6, 2019
Przeczytana w e-booku, poradniki tego typu najlepiej mi się czyta na telefonie. Cieszę się, że wybrałam akurat ten tytuł podczas akcji CzytajPL, bo pomógł mi zrozumieć gdzie popełniam błąd szukając motywacji do zrobienia czegoś, albo do osiągnięcia celu. Autor naprawdę pokazuje nam zupełnie inną perspektywę i gdzie leży problem. Polecam jednak przeczytać tylko pierwszą połowę, która rzeczywiście dobrze obejmuje temat, ponieważ reszta to już bardziej lanie wody.
Profile Image for Ryan Hawkins.
359 reviews26 followers
November 26, 2018
Without a doubt, this was the most arrogant book I’ve ever listened to/read. It was also the most achievement idolizing book I’ve ever listened to/read. His god is achievement and personal success. It’s so obvious that this so, and it certainly is not a healthy example. He brushes aside any sort of sacrifice for others or loving relationships in the search of personal fulfillment and success (at the end he talks about relationships some, but he does so only to promote your own success and achievement and happiness). It was also very poorly written. All that being said, granted, I haven’t read many books in this category, so maybe I’m just not used to it. Possibly. But either way, it was shockingly haughty and self-absorbed. Sometimes I chuckled out loud because it was so much so.

Still, there was some insights to plunder. Here are some ideas I learned and will remember:

- He emphasized the difference between saying you ‘can’t’ do something vs. you ‘don’t.’ The latter is more powerful because it is an identity issue.
- He explained right away that choices are opposite of willpower; so, make less. Some examples of practical advice: eat the same breakfast, pick clothes in advance, do stuff in certain order, etc. He says decision fatigue requires willpower. The goal is to not have will power necessarily, since you will do much automatically or routinely.
- He explains why we shouldn’t multitask.
- He practically instructs to stop doing something right in the middle of something exciting, that way when you pick it up, it’ll flow right away and get you back into the flow.
- Concerning failure, he says that failure stinks but if you know you’ll fail on average a certain amount of times, it won’t phase you. It’ll just be about your rate of success return. It’s about numbers. So just keep at it.
- Concerning willpower, he says that people who get more done seem to have more willpower, but they do not. Instead, they have figured out ways to make decisions and do things without requiring the use of their willpower.
- Finally, he talked the advantage of making a wish list to clean up your to do list.

Would I recommend it? Not really. I only read it because I want to ‘make the best use of time,’ and humbly and lovingly be productive in this life, for God’s glory. This man wrote as a clear product of our culture, with self-achievement and success and personal fulfillment as the ultimate goal. It was a good paradigm of the idols in our society, but besides some gleanings, not worth the time.
Profile Image for Roxanna.
139 reviews12 followers
May 8, 2020
It's not often when I read a book that I constantly turn to the back cover and read what's being "advertised" as what the book is about. And if reading that blurb doesn't really say much, that's because the author's contrarian view that motivation is NOT your key to success IS the book. That's it - chapter 1, that's done.

To bulk this up to the size of a publishable book, Jeff gives you pretty much everything under the sun, including a step-by-step guide to starting a business, including what forms you have to fill and insisting that you open a business bank account so you can separate your business finances from your personal ones.

Jeff Haden writes primarily as a blogger (though he also disclosed that he's a ghostwriter in the book) and it shows, because the book is very much written as a "blog". The style is "I'll write about whatever I'd like to write about; who cares that you had come here to read something else". If this were a series of blogs, then one could just easily skip that blog and read the next with a more interesting headline; as a book, it's much harder to skip ahead especially when you don't know where he's going. Too bad as his punchy writing skill (suited to a motivational book) is really worthy of 5 stars and that was what kept me going to the end.
Profile Image for Lloyd.
21 reviews
April 4, 2021
Such a disappointing read. The whole premise of the book and what the author advertised about the book made it seem like an interesting read, sadly, it wasn't what was advertised to be.
Author haven't outgrown himself from being a columnist writer to a book writer. It was very frustrating read, author would quite often, mention that he would detail about something in the coming chapters ("Which I will talk about in the coming chapters"), it made it hard to for me to comprehend and make connections about what the author was talking about. He frequently contradicted himself on the things he talked about. There was no proper structure as to how to supply the content to the readers.
The author himself told in the beginning that he dislikes any horse-shit self-help book and this book wouldn't be one, but this book turned out to be one. I expected something about motivation and a philosophical approach to motivation. First chapter indeed was quite good compared to the rest fluff. After the first chapter it turned into the "horse-shit" advice and self-help content which was for the most part, very obvious. It wasn't even useful for the most part.
Profile Image for Tarun Sharma.
17 reviews
July 29, 2018
Jeff Haden in his book "the motivation myth" explains about the process to follow to become a high achiever. Nearly 70 pages into the book and it has a monotonous tone to it. It's the same general things told over and over again. It has some not-so needed jokes which the book would've done without.

This doesn't take away the fact that it has some genuine life advices which will be helpful in taking decision and reaching your goals but also has some useless topics as fitness routines which totally deviates from the topic. It feels like Haden is trying to appeal to the general American audience who is interested in losing weight but personally, I did not find that topic remotely interesting in a business book.

You can give a shot to this book for a quick read. This book could easily be a 150 page book rather than a 260 pages. A lot of topics could've been removed to make it more precise.
Profile Image for Lēna.
52 reviews3 followers
July 15, 2021
I want to write a good review for this book. I’m trying, but I can’t help that I didn’t like it. The first part of the book was fantastic and I thought I’d found a gem (and at least I learned some useful stuff - though now I’m not even sure how they’re applicable - but they were good ideas nonetheless). But then the book steered away from its own theme and changed its audience. Unless you own a business or thinking of starting one: you’d feel out of place. I skipped those pages, and many more as a result.
There was also no research involved nor any scientific data or convincing arguments.
So if you’re looking for a self help book beyond mere opinion and not just based on interviews with celebrities, you’d have to look somewhere else.
Profile Image for Rick Sabatini.
41 reviews
February 3, 2021
Great book! A little sassy, but has some great insights. Surprisingly quick read for almost 300 pages,
Must have big type.

Biggest takeaway is Haden’s approach to achieving goals.
Dream big, set the goal, create the plan, and then forget the goal and just focus 100% on running the plan.

I love it. It’s so easy to forget that execution is the main force that makes all dreams and goals succeed. This book may tell you things you already know, but they’ll tell you in a way you probably haven’t thought of before and may help create some connections in the mind that weren’t there before.
Profile Image for Clara.
45 reviews3 followers
July 1, 2021
The theory: motivation is hardly ever intrinsic but created by setting a goal, creating a process to reach it and then forgetting the goal, following the process and then being motivated by the process you made and don't want to ruin.

The rest of the book are just examples, some of them in regions where the author obviously has no expertise.
75 reviews
December 8, 2021
Admittedly, like many other self-help books, a lot of the concepts mentioned in this book weren't entirely unfamiliar and the bulk of it appears to be based solely on his personal experiences. Regardless, Haden is very straightforward and honest in his writing and effectively dispels the myth of how society views motivation.
Profile Image for Finka.
65 reviews8 followers
June 18, 2019
Przeczytałam wywiad z autorem, bodajże w WO. Był naprawdę ciekawy i rzetelny, na tyle, że postanowiłam sprawić sobie książkę.
A dostałam neoliberalne kołczingowe pie*dolenie. Także tego, nie polecam.
Profile Image for Martti.
560 reviews
March 23, 2020
Needs a second read and probably on a paper copy to underline good ideas.
Profile Image for Lesley Looper.
2,182 reviews64 followers
June 11, 2020
I enjoyed this audiobook and am taking away some good tips. I’ve listened to this while working from home during the COVID-19 pandemic, good timing for me.
Profile Image for Grace .
554 reviews9 followers
June 25, 2020
As much as I appreciate this book for pointing out that the journey is more important than the goal, it’s nothing I haven’t heard before.

Listening to the first few chapters I found to be inspiring and to have some decent advice even though I’ve heard similar things before. But after that it became a little repetitive.

There were quite a lot of lists in this book with actionable steps which was nice. I’ll be implementing some of these into my life as structure is definitely something I’m lacking.

Overall, while I do think that it has some valuable pieces of information the book can pretty much be summed up by saying that discipline and making a process will get you to your end goal.
17 reviews
November 3, 2022
I found Haden’s writings on motivation and effectiveness to sound like wisdom from specific experiences. He breaks his book into parts to focus on different types of goals and how people might achieve those goals. He goes into incredible depth on specific examples (like how many push ups he did each day to hit an exercise goal).

I quite liked the last couple chapters of this book where he talked about the value of role models in your life, as celebrities or personal relationships. I found that he suggested a few principles about personal development that I needed to hear.

What I didn’t like about this book was the crass way in which it was written. The book sounds like he thinks his audience are dummies. I didn’t appreciate how dummed-down the speech in this book was.
338 reviews4 followers
February 9, 2018
Discovered this book via Ryan Robinson earlier this year. I liked the author's emphasis on process over the end goal. If you find other books on goals and productivity too "rah rah," you will love this book. Haden's discussion of how he built his online following for his writing was excellent.

I also like Haden's advice on goal setting for those who are unsure where to focus: money and health, to a certain degree, are tried and true areas to focus on:

"Just remember: If you are in financial straits or relatively poor physical condition, your goal must help you overcome that challenge. And if you’re really struggling, just reach back and pick a goal you’ve had for a long time."

Here are a few of my favourite quotes from the book:

"That’s why motivation isn’t something you have. Motivation is something you get, from yourself, automatically, from feeling good about achieving small successes."

"Earned success is the best motivational tool of all. That feeling, that knowledge, is hugely energizing because it’s based not on wishing and hoping and dreaming but on a reality—a reality you created. So forget the fire-walking. Forget the self-talk.. You won’t stay motivated because you experienced one “aha!” moment."

"The key is to set a goal, use it as a target that helps you create a plan for achieving it . . . and then do your best to forget all about that goal. As I learned from James Clear, a leading thinker on the subject, the best use of a goal is to inform the process you will follow to achieve it. What’s the difference between a goal and a process? If you’re a manager, your goal is to develop your employees. Your process is how you identify areas for improvement, create implementation plans, follow through on training and coaching and feedback. Your process is what you do to make your goal happen."

"HOW TO CREATE A SUCCESSFUL PROCESS You might be tempted to skip this section. Don’t. Process is everything. And maybe just as important, creating a successful process is hugely motivating in and of itself. By the time you’ve mapped out your process, you’ll be incredibly motivated to get started. If you struggle with procrastination, the boost of motivation you will feel from successfully creating a successful process (I know that sounds cheesy, but it’s true) will leave you itching to get started. Seriously. Try it. Then tell me I’m wrong. That’s what successes, no matter how small, do for you."
Profile Image for Safia Emad Lafi.
67 reviews28 followers
August 21, 2020
Ughh.. why do these books end up to be the same ? I guess I’m the one to blame for reading “just one more” self help book in a hope to get something new and really HELPFUL ? These books all start with a similar tone. They start with a new idea or not really new but I would say a new perspective on something. A new look or a new process to be more productive that we didn’t think about so we say hmmm...that sounds promising. I didn’t think about productivity that way. I should try and read what this dude think. Well, you start and really get impressed and excited for trying this hack/process/new “ philosophy “ of that guru. But then you start to notice that all these books sooner or later will fall into the same pattern. They will all eventually bear the same boring phrases and anecdotes. You get bored to death but you don’t want to give up on the book that started really well with a good idea in hope it ends well but it never does. Or that’s me at least with my OCD about finishing books to the last page. It’s the same productivity “preaching” monotone you hear everywhere. Ughh and you regret wasting your time. This book started with the premise that motivation doesn’t come magically. You don’t wait for it to happen. But it’s a result of a loop of small successes: success breeds motivation and this motivation breeds more success which breeds more motivation and so on. That’s pretty and wholesome and great. AND THAT’S PROBABLY ENOUGH TO KNOW. Don’t get me wrong. This book is not bad. There are many bad self help books out there. But this is very average. And maybe that’s the problem of this genre; it’s almost never new. Only new sparkly book covers. This book has some practical tips that helps you set a system that requires less willpower to achieve the things you want to achieve. And yes, we probably heard this from another book. Are these tips useful ? I hope so. And that’s why I gave this book 3 ⭐️ instead of 2. Maybe, if I really focus on implementing some those tips with baring in mind the success-motivation loop, I will be able to achieve more. And this book might be HELPFUL at the end. In that time I will come back and update this review and give my honest experience.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 403 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.