Start by marking “Thin for Life: 10 Keys to Success from People Who Have Lost Weight and Kept It Off” as Want to Read:

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  140 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Anne M. Fletcher offers workable techniques for permanent weight loss, based onreal stories of individuals who have succeeded.
Published March 31st 2003 by Rux Martin/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Thin for Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thin for Life

Joy Weese Moll
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: diet
Anne Fletcher, registered dietitian and author of Thin for Life, noticed that weight loss research was decidedly pessimistic. Study after study of various diets showed that none of them worked particularly well, reporting things like “most people gain back the weight within 3 years of loss.” The depressing news, however, never reveals possible underlying causes like these:

* The people who end up in research studies may be the most intractable cases. People who successfully lost weight on their o
Karen
May 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Good practical advice, but since it's not a new book, most of the dietary advice is outdated. I did enjoy reading about those who have lost and maintained.
As someone who is working on making lifestyle changes after having gone through many up-and-down weight cycles, I found it helpful to read anecdotes from others who have successfully made long-term changes. This book drives home the point that what works for one person will not always work for another, and that the process of reaching what for you is a healthy weight is largely about getting to know yourself, your likes and dislikes, what physical activities motivate you, what situations trigger ...more
Lisa
May 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I usually don't review books I read for continuing education, but this is a great one! Anne Fletcher highlights people who have maintained a significant weight loss for a long time and from all those people comes up with 10 things many of them have in common to keep their lost weight off. Like another reviewer said, I'm not crazy about the title "Thin" for Life because Fletcher herself says that many people get to a weight that is comfortable for them, but not thin according to society standards ...more
Cfgk
Oct 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
A wonderful POSITIVE group of helpful hints from folks who've lost weight and KEPT it off. A great book to return to if things get out of hand!
Spook Harrison
Oct 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health-physical
I think I'd like to own this book. There are so many things we allow ourselves to get derailed by when it comes to weight loss, it is inspiring, reassuring, and comforting to read a book like this.
Tammy
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: used_to_own
Gained about 15 lbs in a couple of months after reading this book 10 years ago. Took me a long time to take it off. This method is not for me.
Andrea James
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
If you're thinking of going on yet another fad diet, I would recommend you read this book first I've given this four stars not because it has any groundbreaking advice - it simply offers (the usual) sensible suggestions like it takes a lifestyle change not a diet to permanently alter one's weight range, look into why you emotionally eat, watch portion sizes and introduce more activity.

However, reading case study after case study where the person loses weight permanent by eating sensibly and bein
Marley
Apr 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a really positive and balanced look at the struggle to achieve and maintain a healthy weight. It's not really a diet book (although it collects together ideas that successful maintainers found helpful). It's primarily inspiration to recognize that it can be done.

I'm not keen on the title because "thin" is often used in common language to describe "too thin" rather than healthy. The book itself does not promote ultra-thinness and counts among its success stories many people who have maint
Andrea
May 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
I find real life stories of people finding ways to survive, finding ways to thrive, inspiring. I was hoping to find this amongst the pages of this book. Sifting through the flotsam and the jetsam there are some salvageable real bits of people's lives that inspire. There is so much potential here as the author interviewed many people who are on a journey to health or at least to weight loss. However the writing is choppy, dry and repetitive. We do not really get to know any of the 'masters' at we ...more
Celina
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to reread the section on mindful eating as part of a habitforming exercise. That section was useful but the rest is pretty hopelessly dated, permeated as it is with the assumption that lowfat is healthy and slimming.
Slone
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
The first chapter or two were a little difficult to get into, but the following ones were easier. This isn't advice we haven't heard before, but maybe not all together or in this way: This is how people who have lost significant weight did it and maintained their losses. The takeaway: There's no one way, that you have to find what works for you. I found this inspiring: A lack of success before doesn't mean it can't be done; it just means you haven't found your path yet.
Peter
Apr 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Ths would certainly serve as a blueprint for anyone who is dedicated to at least maintaining their weight after losing it. The principles, techniques, and methods can't be disputed. there are no magic bulllets offered because indeed there just are no magic bullets. It's all hard and painful work, but as the author points out, "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels".
Happyreader
Feb 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health-and-diet
A very sensible book sharing weight loss and maintence techniques from successful losers.
Amy Richard
Aug 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
More of a reference book than a straight through read. Very positive and gives examples of people who have made their own way work.
Kristin
Apr 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Compelling ideas for transforming one's life to accommodate a more healthy body. The emphasis is on health and not weight, which resonates more with me.
Teena in Toronto
Excellent book! It's not your usual "how to" book. It's filled with people's own experiences, tips, etc.
Merri
Dec 26, 2007 rated it liked it
Book was OK. I liked Joining the Thin Club much more.
Amy Richard
Oct 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Lorie
Sep 21, 2014 rated it liked it
I read this for continuing education hours. I thought it was pretty boring. Not a lot of new information.
Ataraxia Stoic
Apr 22, 2009
Paige
Feb 14, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Volumetrics Eating Plan: Techniques and Recipes for Feeling Full on Fewer Calories
  • Secrets of a Former Fat Girl: How to Lose Two, Four (or More!) Dress Sizes--And Find Yourself Along the Way
  • Suzanne Somers' Eat Great, Lose Weight: Eat All the Foods You Love in "Somersize" Combinations to Reprogram Your Metabolism, Shed Pounds for Good, and Have More Energy Than Ever Before
  • Weigh Down Diet
  • Whole Foods to Thrive: Nutrient-Dense, Plant-Based Recipes for Peak Health
  • Mastering the Zone: The Next Step in Achieving SuperHealth and Permanent Fat Loss
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Positive Dog Training
  • Confessions of a Carb Queen: A Memoir
  • Scoot Over, Skinny: The Fat Nonfiction Anthology
  • Life Support: Three Nurses on the Front Lines
  • Potatoes Not Prozac
  • Deadly Companions: How Microbes Shaped Our History
  • Love to Eat, Hate to Eat: Breaking the Bondage of Destructive Eating Habits
  • Ashtanga Yoga: Practice and Philosophy
  • Eat More, Weigh Less: Dr. Dean Ornish's Life Choice Program for Losing Weight Safely While Eating Abundantly
  • The Diet Cure