Start by marking “Hope Nation: YA Authors Share Personal Moments of Inspiration” as Want to Read:
Hope Nation: YA Authors Share Personal Moments of Inspiration

Hope Nation: YA Authors Share Personal Moments of Inspiration

Hope is a decision, but it is a hard one to recognize in the face of oppression, belittlement, alienation, and defeat. To help embolden hope, here is a powerhouse collection of essays and letters that speak directly to teens and all YA readers. Featuring Marie Lu, James Dashner, Gayle Forman, David Levithan, Julie Murphy, Jeff Zentner, Renee Ahdieh, and many more!

"The
Audio CD, 8 pages
Published February 27th 2018 by Listening Library

Start your review of Hope Nation: YA Authors Share Personal Moments of Inspiration
Jessica
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
I received a sample of this, with essays by Libba Bray, Angie Thomas and Jeff Zentner. Each one was a unique kindling of hope that had me laughing through tears of beauty and hope. I am eagerly anticipating the final compilation.
Erin
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
For more of my reviews, visit my blog As the Book Ends or follow me on Instagram,where I will be featuring this book later today!

Ever since I was a teenager, I have loved reading inspirational stories. I'm tellin' ya, Chicken Soup was my jam. I always cried and just kept going back for more. Honestly one of my favorite things about reading is its ability to instill awe in me. I'm in awe of the characters I read about, their plight and peril, and the obstacles they overcome. Most of all, though?
Toni Rose Deanon
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
BEAUTIFUL. AMAZING. I WILL REREAD OVER AND OVER AGAIN. It made me reflect on what brings me hope.
Sandy
Jul 02, 2020 marked it as want-to-read-own  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, short-story
Got an free audio of this book from Teen Sync 2020
Alicia
Must I continue to go on and on about my love for short story/essay collections filled with contemporary YA writers on a theme or topic? Well, here I go again-- in the words of Whitesnake.

Using the topic of "hope", this collection of VERY AWESOME and TALENTED writers showcase a piece of them and what hope has meant to them. Ironically, many of the writers are in their late thirties through fifties(ish) and date themselves with their references to cars, music, or historical topic but I don't thi
Sara Jovanovic
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
After a while of planning to read this book and never getting to it, I finnally managed to complete it. And it was a really powerful collection, truly something I needed at the moment.

While some of the essays didn't completely find their way to me because of the writting style or the way topics were handled, I have to admit they all served their purpose. They felt hopeful, despite some of them coming from place of utter hopelessness. I loved the authors' approach in writing and radical honesty w
Shayne Bauer
May 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
A quick and inspiring read! I didn't connect with every single story, but there is definitely something here for every reader. Kudos to today's authors for being so real.
Dan
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
A solid collection of essays that I could see used as mentor texts for young adult writers.
Melanie
Apr 12, 2018 rated it liked it
When I saw the lineup of authors slated to share essays in this anthology, I was so psyched! It's a virtual "who's who" of today's hottest, most accomplished YA authors, so I knew I had to get my hands on Hope Nation.

Having finished the collection, though, I feel disappointed. Don't get me wrong; it met my expectations, but I wasn't blown away. There were a few writers - Libba Bray, Marie Lu, Atia Abawi, Romina Garber, Renée Andieh, and Gayle Forman - whose contributions felt memorable and incis
CheesyQuesadilla
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Before reading this book, I hadn’t really given much thought on what hope truly was. For me, hope was just a feeling. Hope was just a concept - maybe a strength that kept us going in bad times. It never occurred to me that hope could be like a torch - a light that guided us even in the darkest of times. I read this book thinking it would a bit cheesy, or sappy.
Oh, how wrong I was.
It was amazing. I loved everything about it. It was just... stunning, that’s what it was. I’ve heard about books and
Sarah Ressler Wright
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! Can use individual pieces as awesome prompts and models. So inspirational and reminds readers of how much of America is the immigrant experience today! I am blown away and love that all proceeds go to charities-a must have for all MS and HS libraries.
Ellie
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the idea of this collection, I love the diversity in contributors and the personal stories. I do not, however, love the fact that James Dashner was a contributor. I read the first page of his essay and found only hypocrisy- who is he to preach hope when he ripped it out of another person’s hands? Allegations of sexual assault came out in February of this year, and this book was copyright 2018 as well. I firmly believe that supporting his work is sending a message that we do not support th ...more
Slaa!!!
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really great collection - I think I'll probably take away something from every essay. Of course I'm partial to my faves: Jason Reynolds and Brendan Kiely (really loved theirs), Nic Stone (loved hers too), Angie Thomas and Nicola Yoon. But there was a lot to be gained from the stories from authors I didn't know as well, too. I really appreciate when people can be open about the personal and difficult things they've been through - too often these are the things people don't talk about, ...more
Katie
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-book-club
4 Stars!

Hope Nation is a collection of short stories about HOPE written by some of the most popular YA authors. They all had the assignment of writing about what hope meant to them, and this book made me as a reader realize that hope comes in all different forms of feelings and ideas.

Just like any other anthology, this book has a wide mix of writing and points of view. Some are obviously stronger than others, and some are more political than others. Overall, most of these stories hit my heart.
Amber
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I didn’t know what to expect from this book. Honestly, I bought it because Julie Murphy talked about it a lot on her Instagram. I saw her posts about her struggle with the fact that Dashner was involved in the project. And I saw that she believed the messages contained in the book were such that they, paired with the support from her fellow authors, deserved to be told, and heard. And I agree. I loved almost every essay in this book. Zetner and Dashner’s essays fell flat for me; they didn’t reso ...more
Tien
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don't know all the author contributors in this essay collection but wow, I'm totally mind blown by each and all of their willingness & openness to share their thoughts (some very private and others in continuing their fight for what they believe in), their courage and resilience throughout each unique challenges they faced, and above all, their generosity in encouraging and sharing the hope they had and have. All are authors who write Young Adult novels and while quite a few of their stories r ...more
Alysa Fenner
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Honestly, this book is truly for people who feel like all hope is lost due to the state of our world. This book lifted me up and gave me small little pieces of hope to keep going when things seem at their worst. I loved hearing personal stories from authors I love and finding out about some new (to me) authors as well! I recommend this to anyone who needs/is looking for hope. This book reminds you that sometimes you have to find that glimpse of hope in the darkest of places, but it’s there—never ...more
Autumn Riehemann
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
i loved these stories so much. i enjoyed being able to listen to these stories, especially the ones from authors that i recognized from some of my favorite novels :) . i am a huge optimistic and am always trying to be hopeful towards any sort of situation. every single story written within this collection inspired me so much and i will continue to listen to the words. i am so happy i listened to this <3 ...more
Megan
Jul 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
It certainly is a time we need hope. I already have earmarked several of these essays and excerpts for use in my high school classroom. In the face of the upcoming school year, I need a little hope. Brendan Kiely wrote, "Young people want to rock the boat. And we need to. Otherwise the status quo remains-- and our status quo today is unconscionably unjust." Rock that boat, young ones. Use those voices.
Aryana Parmar
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this book with all the stories combined really defined HOPE. I recognized a few of my favorite authors, some of whom I was glad to see adding some knowledge to this collection. I feel like all kinds of people should read it because it really inspires young people and all really get your blood boiling, in a good way.
Stacey
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There’s so much to hold on to in this book. It’s a light in a time when things seem darkest. A reminder to keep fighting, keep resisting, keep hoping. And even more than hope, ACT. If you have hope things will change, be courageous enough to help move things in the direction you want them to go.
Lauren
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
While it started out rocky for me, it got so much better and inspirational as I read on. It's awesome having a book full of (some) authors you look up to giving you encouragement and letting you know that they believe in their readers.
Trisha
Moving. Every story spoke to me.
Jennifer Mangler
While not every essay in this book may speak to you, I'll bet every reader can find at least one that seems written just for them.
Rosanna Threakall
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
*3.5 stars*
Christine Fitzgerald
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Hope is a decision” This collection of essays from contemporary young adult authors was an easy read and filled with stories of hope. Great read for fans of each author’s work, gives you a peek into their personal lives and their inspirational stories about hope!
Pauline
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Listened to these tales of hope and couldn't stop thinking of ways to include them in mini-lessons! A lovely, diverse set of stories.
Ashlee
Same goes for this anthology. Gives hope to reader though!🙂
Kenzie
Jun 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was such a great collection of short stories written by YA authors. They’re all about finding hope. I plan to use many excerpts from this book as mentor texts for my students to help inspire their writing. Although I didn’t connect with every essay, I loved most of them!!
grieshaber.reads
Read my review below or check it out on the Librarians Lit Books blog (where you can see a pretty great picture of Jason Reynolds):

How am I just now learning about Dr. Rose Brock?? She’s a self-professed “Audiobook Evangelist” (same, girl, same), a professor of Children’s & YA Lit and “library stuff,” and co-founder of the North Texas Book Festival (a bucket-list event for me). I’m her latest Twitter follower and I can’t wait to continue to be inspired by

• Fresh Ink: An Anthology
  • Mexican Whiteboy
  • Secret Soldiers: How the U.S. Twenty-Third Special Troops Fooled the Nazis
  • Like No Other
  • The Brontë Plot
  • A Christmas Carol: What if Scrooge were a woman?
  • Disappeared (Disappeared, #1)
  • Mark of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #1)
  • In Search Of Us