Start by marking “Peach” as Want to Read:
Peach

Peach

Introducing a dazzling new literary voice--a wholly original novel as groundbreaking as the works of Eimear McBride and Max Porter.

Something has happened to Peach. Staggering around the town streets in the aftermath of an assault, Peach feels a trickle of blood down her legs, a lingering smell of her anonymous attacker on her skin. It hurts to walk, but she manages to make
Published January 23rd 2018 by Bloomsbury USA (first published January 11th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Peach, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Hannah Greendale What I like about this book is that myriad aspects of it are open to interpretation. Is my view of the conclusion correct? I'm not sure, but I'll shar…moreWhat I like about this book is that myriad aspects of it are open to interpretation. Is my view of the conclusion correct? I'm not sure, but I'll share my take on what happens: <spoiler>Peach's name has meaning; it's symbolic. She is young, ripe fruit, and her flesh has been desecrated by her assailant. By ravaging her flesh, the rapist robs her of safety, of sanity, of her sense of being, so that - by the end - she's nothing more than a discarded peach pit. (Her stomach bloating is merely figurative).

In literature, water often symoblises a baptism, a new beginning, or death and rebirth. So there's some murkiness in this finale that sees Peach sinking in a swimming pool. What does the water symoblize for her? Is she succumbing to madness? Is she sinking in death? Or is she finally facing the harshes realities of what happened to her so that she can emerge from the water and start anew?

I don't think Glass is clear on the right answer. By leaving it open-ended, she lets the reader fill in the gaps. And how we, as readers, fill in the blank, says more about us than it does about Peach, so this is a very invasive narrative, one that asks us to examine ourselves as well as Peach's story.</spoiler> Pretty powerful stuff. (less)

Start your review of Peach
Nenia ⚔️ Queen of Villainy ⚔️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Wow, I'm a bit blown away by how bad this was. I almost didn't want to review it, since - contrary to my critics' opinions - I don't actually enjoy writing negative reviews for up and coming authors. But I feel obligated to point out to others what I didn't like, lest they be taken in by the blurb like I was and find themselves similarly disappointed.

First, I think it's really important that there are more books out there about sexual as
Hannah Greendale
Feb 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Graphic, visceral, acerbic. Peach is a punchy novella about a girl wrestling with the maddening aftereffects of sexual assault. Heavy on symbolism and open to interpretation, here is a narrative that effectively makes one squirm and fidget and feel a roiling in one's gut. This is desecrated flesh and ravaged nerves and the stench of blood and breath and charred bodies. The kind of book that doesn't shy away from the most horrendous aspects of rape and what comes after.

Glass relates Peach's stor
Schizanthus Nerd
Trigger warnings for sexual assault, murder, animal abuse, possible (?) cannibalism

I hate giving a low rating to any book. I have such admiration for authors - for the blood, sweat and tears that go into writing a book in the first place, then having to navigate the publishing world and subjecting themselves to readers who can lift them up or tear them down with their words.

If you are interested in reading this book, please don’t just go by my review. There are a lot of 5 star reviews for this
Matt
Mar 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: buddy-read
There are days when I revel in the fact that some authors I read have writing backgrounds, formal university education in the field. I can usually expect much from them, as long as their academic institution is reputable (to be defined by someone other than me) and their professors somewhat cognizant of what they are doing. I was eager to see what Glass had to say in this novella, her first piece of published writing (from what I could tell). Thereafter, like a crate of rotten fruit, things bega ...more
Vanessa
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
I don’t know exactly what I just read but oh.my.god. This book is...different. Unique. Graphic. Stomach churning and unsettling. A book with a modern interpretative prose. I already know I will have to have a second reading to wrap my head around this book. A perfect book to spark discussion.
megs_bookrack
Nov 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arcs-read
I received an early release copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Unfortunately, for the book, that is what I am going to be, HONEST.

This book was very disappointing. The description sounded interesting and powerful. It wasn't only the stream of consciousness writing style that I found let the story down.

I understand there are times when that writing style can be very impactful, but you should still be able to piece together what is actually going on.

This book
Latanya (Crafty Scribbles)
Jan 29, 2018 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No One
What did I just read? How did this make it past editors?

As confused and jumbled as its main character, Peach, this novella felt contrived. While Glass's story presents a girl in pain from her sexual assault, it removed key elements that may her pain palatable. I must admit that most of the time, I had no clue to the story's occurrences. I had to read passages doubly or thrice to nail what happened.

Who is she? Is she in high school? Is she younger than that? Who sent the letter? Why are her paren
Dannii Elle
This is definitely worth a read, as Glass' approach to creative writing is to be admired, but due warnings for the graphic content and harrowing story-line.

In short, this book is a surreal exploration of a life lived after tragedy. As the synopsis states: "Something has happened to Peach. Blood runs down her legs and the scent of charred meat lingers on her flesh."

Due to the subject matter, this is a profoundly harrowing read, and the graphic nature used to depict some scenes only adds to this.
Konstantin
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
You need more than a strong stomach for reading this piece of work. Blood-churning scenes of dirt, gore and violence will make you want to vomit, but it's also hypnotically rhytmical and atmospheric - it will keep you turning the pages although you won't want to. It covers pretty much every trigger warning; you name it, Peach has it (cannibalism, murder, blood, animal violence, rape, mental health, suicide).

So, I'm giving this a four-star rating purely based on the impact it had on me, as it was
Rachel
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I can see why this isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I loved it. It's not really a novel, it's its own strange new thing. It reads like prose poetry, stream of consciousness, word association, and some deeply weird allegory. The subject matter, a young woman dealing with the after effects of a brutal sexual assault, is not easy, but most of the details are only alluded to or are abstract enough that I didn't feel overwhelmed by it. This was incredibly dark, but I was just hypnotized by the whole ...more
Gal
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it
What. The fuck. Did I just read.
❤️
Jan 18, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
This book irritated me.

There could be a really good story within it, but its potential is destroyed by an obnoxious writing style. I can't even describe what that style is, because it is just so hideously weird, but I'll give a few examples (keep in mind, I'm quoting it verbatim, with exactly the same punctuation as is written in the book)...

"His body vibrates in my arms. Wiggling skin. Sticky. Jelly. Jelly Baby. Baby. He gurgles."

"Gulp in greasy water so greasy, tastes so meaty. Terrifying. Tan
Lindsey Lynn (thepagemistress)
Wendy
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 5000-books, jan-18
Emma Glass's debut novel Peach is contemporary fiction told in a wholly original way. It's a challenging read both because of the form it is written in and the graphic descriptions.
High school student Peach is brutally assaulted and manages to make her way home where her pain goes unnoticed by her family. She decides to carry on with life - stitches herself up, goes to school and meets up with her boyfriend. However, she is plagued by the attack - the jarring memories of smell, taste and touch.
Figgy
- After Reading -

Yeah... so the whole time I was reading this, I thought "what the hell am I reading?" and now that I'm finished this hasn't changed much, except moving from present to past tense. What the hell did I just read?

I get the feeling this was a mental break for the main character, and a way of processing what happened to her. In order to make the most extreme of fantasies of what she would like to do to her rapist, she had to also dream up a world in which people are made up of variou
Jaclyn Crupi
Dec 10, 2017 rated it liked it
There will be a lot of hype for this slip of a novella next year but it fell well short of the mark for me. The beggining felt derivative of Eimear McBride’s A GIRL IS A HALF-FORMED THING but then it got a bit better only to stumble at the end. At 100-pages in length there wasn’t room for the narrative to settle. The imagery Glass conjures will stay with me but only because it was so disturbingly graphic.
Doug
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this short novella is certainly powerful and surreally strange, the warnings about the graphic content should not be taken lightly. Aside from the bizarre storyline, which reaches stomach-churning grotesquerie frequently, I thought it strained too hard to be clever - with an annoying reliance on alliteration and onomatopoeia when the shocks don't suffice to keep one's attention.
Jessica Sullivan
Well, that was an experience.

More like a 96-page poem than a novel, Peach is a visceral and surreal stream-of-consciousness narrative about a woman who has just experienced a horrific sexual assault.

The imagery is vivid, abstract, gruesome and harrowing. Glass plays around a lot with language, including lots of alliteration and repetition. Here's an example of her prose style:

"Snip. Don't slip. Snip. Don't slip. Snip. Snip. Slip and I will shear and that's the fear the fear the fear."

I get what
Kirsty
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Such despair and violence, most of it graphic, is present in this short novella, but it is compelling from beginning to end. There is such an urgency to both its prose and its storyline. The characters, particularly Peach, are complex and strange; they make such peculiar decisions at times, but this serves only to make them feel more human. Emma Glass' use of wordplay within Peach is masterful. Unsettling and markedly interesting, Peach is a strange novella, but such a memorable one.
Maddie
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full disclosure: this book is not for everyone. Huge trigger warnings for sexual assault, murder and cannibalism.

While it is not my place to tell people how to read and interpret a book, Peach is obviously a poetic, experimental novella that tackles very real issues with cleverly constructed imagery that does not shy away from the grotesque of the subject matter it intends to tackle. For that reason alone, I commend it.

This book was expertly crafted and beautifully written. Glass’s sharp prose a
Oryx
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Conflicted. Con. Flick. S- etc.

To begin it felt a little too Eimear McBride, a little bit like a shit tribute. And then it got better. And then it veered off and escalated. And then the metaphor quadrupled. And then it turned into Beckett.

So basically it was good and I actually really enjoyed it, enjoyed reading bits back to myself, alone, in my room. Voice. No choice. James Joyce?

That said, there were some cringey lines that were sloppy and lazy and made me think that the editor was too afra
Ella
Nb: This is MY book. I paid for it & the companion audio. As always, it's my opinion, which has only gotten stronger since I first listened, then read and read again.

Peach is a seemingly normal young woman. She's a "good girl" by her mother's estimation, a college student with a steady boyfriend who lives with her oddly sexual parents and her baby brother whom she adores. She's even a vegetarian. But the reader never meets that Peach. She meets Peach staggering home -- perseverating, incoherent,
Michelle
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
The fear washes away. heart stops pumping. heart stops. Veins drain. Gut-wrenched, I spit from the pit of my stomach, rising up guttural and raw, a mournful moan, ragged and broken. Ragged and broken. When my heart restarts, blood does not flow. I am filled I am saturated with hate.

If anything about the above sentences bother you as a reader then I'd advise that you stay far away from this book. The entire book has a kind of stream of consciousness vibe that isn't going to be for everyone. But f
Jun 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, library
An intense and experimental novella about the aftermath of a sexual assault and the impact it has on the victim. I think the style worked partly because the book isn't very long - just 98 pages. I wouldn't say I enjoyed this, but it is definitely memorable. Don't take the cautions on the graphic nature of this lightly, either.
Mel (Epic Reading)
Mar 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arc-netgalley
I’ve been thinking for a couple of days about how to describe why I felt like this was a whole lot of nope book. I finished Peach because it is very short and I really didn’t want to hate it. I kept waiting for it to have a moment of true emotional connection or a brilliant moment but it never gave.

The Topic
Peach is about a teen girl who is raped. An obvious difficult and important topic to accurately portray. Unlike books, like Long Way Down, there is zero literary finesse to Peach. Instead of
Laci Long || Book Pairings
I still can’t believe that this is Emma Glass’s debut novel. I can’t get the imagery from her experimental prose out of my head and I read this one in January! (Sorry it has taken me over to get around to writing a review for it) I can definitely see this one making my best of 2018 list. I know that is bold to say this early in the year, but I truly loved this little gem.

Before reading on, I just want to give you a trigger warning for sexual assault.

This story follows a teenage girl, Peach, af
Ellis Moore
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I hold Peach very close to my heart, as I am sure so many readers will when the hardback is published on the 11th January 2018. I came across this book through my line of work as an editor, sent to me on submission for consideration of audio and large print rights around January this year (2017). From that moment, I read Peach in one sitting, devoured it till peach juice ran down and off my chin, and knew this book was special. Since this point, I’ve been telling everyone who is of a bookish nat ...more
Amanda
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short novella does not ease you in gently, the first lines hit you like a train

Thick sticky sticky wet ragged wool winding round the wounds, stitching the sliced skin together as I walk, scraping my mittened hand against the wall, Rough red bricks ripping the wool. Ripping the skin. Rough red skin.

Slowly we realise that this is the aftermath of a rape and the girl, Peach, is attempting to reach home, to safety, to assess her injuries and get clean.

The rest of the novella continues in a simi
Cathy Geagan
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 rounded to 4.

Something terrible has happened to Peach, but she just wants life to go back to normal.

Something terrible has happened to Peach, but her parents are too wrapped up in themselves and their new baby to notice it.

Something terrible has happened to Peach, so she cleans herself up and self-administers stitches, tries to ignore the stench of meat and oil that follows her everywhere, tries to ignore flashbacks of a strangers gaping mouth and sausage fingers.

This short powerful book is
Eric Anderson
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sometimes reading quotes by authors I admire on the jackets of new books can very accurately indicate the experience I’m about to have. In this case, Emma Glass’ debut “Peach” comes festooned with a string of quotes by prominent authors from George Saunders who calls this a “dark poetic myth” to Laline Paull who describes how this book “shares literary DNA with Gertrude Stein, Herbert Selby Jr and Eimear McBride.” These get at the unusual quality of Glass’ writing, but this book’s radical style ...more

• How The Light Gets In
  • Mise en pièces
  • Funny Weather: Art in an Emergency
  • Exposure
  • La mémoire de l'air
Emma Glass was born in Swansea.
She studied English literature and creative writing at the University of Kent, then decided to become a nurse and went back to study children's nursing at Swansea University.
She lives in South London and is a research nurse specialist at Evelina London Children's Hospital.
Her debut novel Peach will be published in February 2018.