Start by marking “Stranger Room: An Ike Schwartz Mystery” as Want to Read:
Stranger Room: An Ike Schwartz Mystery

Stranger Room: An Ike Schwartz Mystery (Ike Schwartz Mystery #4)

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  80 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
The elderly Jonathan Lydell III is proud of his family history. He is related to the Virginia Lees (both Light Horse Harry and Robert E. Lee) and to the Custis family (and thus to George Washington). But these connections donat seem to matter to the current generation. In fact, they seem utterly disinterested in family, history, or position. But for Lydell, family history ...more
Published August 1st 2008 by Poisoned Pen Press

To ask other readers questions about Stranger Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stranger Room

Kate Vale
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: murder-mystery
Another mystery with some of the same characters as appear in CHOKER. It asks the question: how can a person be killed in a room locked from the inside? But it's happened twice, the crimes occurring 150 years apart.

That is the mystery facing Sheriff Ike Schwartz. Helping him solve it is a quirky cask to characters including a 6'2" tall woman deputy, her black lover--lately loaned to Ike by the FBI, but will he go back there?--and several other memorable townsfolk.

Then, too, there's the issue of
Robin
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting plot and I like the depth of the characters. The whole locked room aspect was different. I don't always agree with the commentary but it's not a bad thing to get a different point of view.
Melissa
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it
I picked up this book because the idea of a Civil War era "stranger room" was interesting. I was disappointed to find out this was the 4th in a mystery series-I like to start at the first book in a series. I enjoyed the story very much and found the characters quite likable. I doubt I will go back and read the 1st books in the series, but will definitely be on the lookout for future books in this series.

"The elderly Jonathan Lydell III is proud of his family history. He is related to the Virgini
Abbey
Oct 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Good points - set in the Shenandoah Valley - having worked in a small town in this area, the attitudes and mores are spot-on. Locked room mystery kept the attention, and, although the murderer was pretty apparent about 2/3rds of the way through the book, the "how" took a while. Bad points - I listened to this on Audio Books - listening to the reading of one of the main characters was like hearing several hours of Jimmy Carter - not a problem in itself, but certainly distracting. The relationship ...more
Grey853
May 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
I love a book that has a great locked room mystery, well developed characters, humorous banter, and interesting plot. I'm not going to detail the plot because there's really more than one and it would get complicated. Let's just say it held my interest to the end. It wasn't so much that I didn't know who committed the murders, but whether or not they would be able to prove it.

Ike Schwartz continues to impress me with his clever ways.
Cemeterygal
Jan 10, 2012 rated it liked it
I wasn't sure about this book (audio version) when I picked it up at the library, but I enjoyed it very much. The reader does a good job with the characters. An enjoyable little mystery. Plus, I learned about what a stranger room is!
William
Mar 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Kind of a fun mystery. Excellent description of small town Virginia and the people interactions of its various citizens from different classes, ethnic backgrounds, etc. Not very deep or complicated, but a quick enjoyable read.
Bev
Aug 11, 2011 rated it liked it
A surpisingly good historical American mystery. I am much more the British mystery fan...but this one really delivered on the locked room concept. Three and a half stars.
Magenta Sumatra
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
love the characters....and humor!
Roseann Moss
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Working my way thru the Sheriff Ike Schwartz series. Each book is better then the book before.

Denny
Jan 06, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
Not beyond awful, but the writing was so poor, and the characters so bland, I just couldn't read anymore - and that was after I forced myself to get halfway through.
Teresa
Feb 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, crime
This was a great locked room mystery with quite the side trip. The characters are believable and in some cases quite detestable. If you like mysteries give this one a shot!
Denicemarcell
picked it up for the locked room mystery. good locked room mystery. other parts are in a series i am viewing it as a stand alone.
Kathy
Nov 22, 2013
Janis J Masters
Jul 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Dr. Frederick Ramsay was born in Baltimore, the son of a respected teacher researcher and scientist. He graduated from Washington and Lee University in Virginia and received his doctorate from the University of Illinois. After a stint in the Army, he joined the faculty of the University of Maryland, School of Medicine, where he taught Anatomy, Embryology and Histology; engaged in research and serv ...more
More about Frederick Ramsay...

Ike Schwartz Mystery (8 books)
  • Artscape: An Ike Schwartz Mystery