Start by marking “Black Hammer, Vol. 2: The Event” as Want to Read:
Black Hammer, Vol. 2: The Event

Black Hammer, Vol. 2: The Event

(Black Hammer #2)

When a visitor from the outside world arrives on the Farm, looking for the Black Hammer and bringing news of Spiral City to its Golden Age heroes, everything changes. Her arrival stirs up old memories and awakens new hope in the marooned heroes and they make a new attempt to escape their strange prison.

COLLECTS: Black Hammer 7-11, 13
Published January 2nd 2018 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Black Hammer, Vol. 2, please sign up.
Andres Pasten Is included on Sherlock Frankenstein & the Legion of Evil: From the World of Black Hammer TPB…moreIs included on Sherlock Frankenstein & the Legion of Evil: From the World of Black Hammer TPB(less)

Start your review of Black Hammer, Vol. 2: The Event
Philip
4.25ish stars.

Maybe my favorite on-going title. Great character work and a solid, clever plot that deftly balances Golden Age superheroes with New Age struggles. It makes the '90s flashbacks feel like the '40s but it works. This is a big improvement over the first volume; now that the character studies are out of the way, it leaves a lot of room to delve into the plot and expand personalities. Good artwork, not my personal favorite, but it works well for the story, and I appreciate the artistic
Dan Schwent
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, 2018-comics
Lucy Weber, The Black Hammer's daughter, starts trying to piece together the mystery of The Farm and the town of Rockwood but someone doesn't want her to find the answers she's looking for...

Black Hammer volume 2 has fallen into my hands and it's a whopper.

The tale of the Black Hammer is finally told and it's an homage to a slew of Jack Kirby creations like Thor, the New Gods, and the Inhumans. Talky-Walky's origin is also revealed, another Mystery in Space type of adventure, just as something
David Schaafsma
One of the best ongoing comic series, winner of the 2017 Eisner award for best ongoing series, based in part on the trust they had that this team would create a great story. Lemire seems increasingly to bring together two things he loves: 1) Realistic, character-driven stories based in the bleak and desolate northern Canadian towns he knows well, and 2) superheroes. It’s both a tribute to Golden Age comics for the geeky True Supe Fans, and an explanation to his Essex County fans about why these ...more
Donovan
An almost Twilight Zone continuation of interpersonal drama, sharp dialog, black humor, and the increasingly exciting mystery of why the inhabitants of Black Hammer Farm can’t leave post-Crisis. The artwork is shared by David Rubin, whose cleaner style accommodates the vintage tone.
Ivan
After three months of reading Manga it's good to finally read something that has color.
Not much is happening in this volume but writing and melancholic atmosphere are amazing enough to earn this volume 5 stars and place on favorites shelf.
Chad
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edelweiss, 2018
Black Hammer's daughter arrives and she's not OK with being stuck on the little farm as the rest of our tragic heroes have been. While she investigates the town we delve deeper into each character's backstory. Lemire has done such a fantastic job of reintroducing these archetypes of our youth with just enough of a tweak to keep you coming back for more. Ordstrom's moody art fits the setting and I really enjoyed David Rubin's fill in issue for the origin of Talky-Walky. Rubin's is a Spanish artis ...more
Paul E. Morph
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Seriously great stuff; even the 'fill-in' issues are worth five stars. I love this book...
Artemy
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
That's more like it! I didn't fall in love with the first volume of Black Hammer, the story was too uneventful and the characters felt derivative. Fortunately, I thought the second one was an improvement.

The main storyline finally starts moving as we meet a new character, the daughter of the hero Black Hammer. The characters start to question the place they're stuck in, some make rash decisions, and one of them doesn't even survive til the end of the book. We also get a tease of what actually ha
Jedi JC Daquis
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With so many great titles in this comicbook era, it is easy to overlook this genius work written by Jeff Lemire. Black Hammer: The Event combines Lemire's themes of sadness, family and transcending yearning for love and acceptance with sci-fi and drama in this yet another great volume. Black Hammer's main strength is in the deep yet troubled personalities of the Golden Age heroes who were trapped in a strange rural town for a decade. The way they were written were so effective to me that I'd rat ...more
Richard
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
I enjoyed this second volume of Black Hammer even better than the great 1st volume! An unexpected visitor from the outside world has appeared on the farm, not only sparking a bit of hope for escape in our heroes but also sparking old memories. Similar to the first installment, it's structured by cutting back and forth between the present times and flashbacks to the past in our heroes' lives. But while in the first book, the flashbacks were used as introductions to our characters' origins, the on ...more
RG
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loving this series!! It has amazing plotting, some great artwork, complex characterisation without being overbearing. Ends with a great cliffhanger. So so good.
Elizabeth A
Mar 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphix, 2018
Book blurb: Once they were heroes. Now, banished from existence by a multiversal crisis, the old champions of Spiral City lead simple lives in a timeless farming town.

The thing with people is that you never really know what they'll do in a given situation. In this installment, the stranded superheroes suddenly have a visitor to the farm. Who is she, and how did she get there? Also, if she could get there, can they leave the same way? Oh, the questions. It also turns out that some of the "family"
Stewart Tame
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Things are moving along at a decent pace. The newcomer who showed up at the end of the previous volume brings news of the outside world. The back cover copy claims that she, “... awakens new hope in the marooned heroes and they make a new attempt to escape their strange prison.” That's not really true, or at least not for all of them. What we do get are more flashbacks to the incidents leading up to their imprisonment, as well as a look at what happened to Black Hammer: it's not pretty. We do ge ...more
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)
I love how happy this depressing story makes me.

Holy shit. Talk about not catching a break. I mean really, Lemire, would it kill ya to just throw one of these characters a bone?

Black Hammer is one of my pulls that I get really excited for each month. Within these first two volumes, I have grown to care about each and every character in the book. I feel their plight, I feel their pains, and at times I almost feel guilty for taking so much joy in watching their tale unfold.

This is a superhero book
James DeSantis
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
WOW this was a nice upgrade from volume 1.

This is much more focused with a storyline that is followed throughout the whole volume. With Black Hammer's daughter now in the same fucked up weird alter dimension that the other heroes are stuck in she begins to poke around and try to find out where they are and why they can't leave. On top of that you have some backstories on Talky and more, and some horrifying twist and backstabbings that take place soon into this volume.

What really works in this
Shannon Appelcline
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
The second volume of Black Hammer is very much a middle volume, hampered by the fact that the "shocking" event on the last page is pretty obvious from page 2 or 3. Beyond that, it feels like there's lots of water treading: with the exception of a shocking event early on, then that inevitable last page reveal, not a lot happens, and what does are very slow character moments.

With all that said, this series continues to be interesting, because the characters are great and the flashbacks are revelat
Wing Kee
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful melancholy tale.

World: Fantastic art the tone is very must informed by it and it's fantastic. The world building continues to be both so nostalgic and fresh at the same time. It's Lemire's signature small town, it's a DC love letter. It'd beautifully tragic and brilliant.

Story: A continuation of the slice of life of these heroes trapped where they are. It's the small stories, the past the present the emotions are all real and relatable. It's paced wonderfully and the overarching pl
Diz
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Black Hammer continues to be one of the best character driven superhero comic books on the market today. Bits of the mystery are revealed, but there are still lots of questions left. There's a surprise at the end that really makes me want to get ahold of volume 3 as soon as I can.
Shadowdenizen
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-other
4.5 stars.
César Bustíos
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic
Now that Lucy Weber is in town she is trying to put all the pieces together. Is there anything more disturbing that finding a book full of empty pages? Damn, that gave me the creeps.

It doesn't really go much farther in the Rockwood thing but you get a whole lot of background details including the Black Hammer and the Lightriders story. What the hell is that place? What the hell is Weird up to? Black Hammers have some kind of shared memory? Still too many fucking mysteries.

Chris Lemmerman
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
[Read as single issues]
With the heroes of Black Hammer firmly established, we can now begin to explore their pasts as they work to escap-Oh, wait, no, they're happy where they are. But someone definitely isn't. Black Hammer's daughter is new in town, and she's not about to let the heroes of old go down without a fight.

God, these characters break my heart. Everything about their backstories is tragic, and the twist on each character archetype is just a twist of the knife into the soul. Their resi
Benji Glaab
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a solid volume. We find out what happened to black hammer. Most of the heroes find themselves at an all time low. Things are getting even stranger in the town for sure. We get more flashbacks with the dual timeline which I find to be well executed with varying artwork and writing styles depending on the character featured in the flashback. We get a good cliffhanger at this volumes end that offers some hope for the characters. We should also finally get some answers in the next volume 🤞. ...more
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)
You can find my review on my blog by clicking here.

Heroes are often associated with a layer of invincibility and of brute emotional and physical strength. Little does everyone know that behind their superhero identities, there often lies a human being who suffers through the same daily issues as everyone else. Among all the fundamental needs, love remains the most quintessential one, whatever form it takes. From parents to significant others, it is often through love that you fully actualize you
Lata
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Black Hammer story (and its Sherlock Frankenstein side plot) is the only one I've really liked by Jeff Lemire. While there's nothing really innovative about these characters, I like them (especially the Lockjaw-like super dog in New World), and the 1950s vibe is still strong in this volume, particularly with all the little background stories about the individual members of the team.
Lucy Weber arrived at the end of the previous volume, and here she sets her journalistic mind at figuring out
Paul
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just brilliant. My favorite current comic.
Etienne
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Again!! I really awesome comic by Jeff Lemire. This series is very good, a totally different and original take into the super-hero genre! Love every second of it!
Zedsdead
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I continue to delight in the shifting styles, the way the illustration, speech patterns, even the fonts change depending on what period and genre is being evoked.

Plot points:
(view spoiler)
Nicola Mansfield
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent follow-up volume. We met everyone in vol.1 and now in vol. 2 everything starts happening. What they've been waiting for is finally arriving. Bad things are happening and we know who it is. Two members of the family do dreadful things that shock us They feel vindicated but if the others find out it will be even worse. A new Black Hammer discovers their new identity. And the book ends on a significant note, making us excited for the next volume. Will keep reading this!
Darth
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
This comic is so strange, but not in a bad way? I dunno, maybe it's just been forever since I read the first one (because it has been forever) but I neither loved nor hated this. It was just okay? Definitely entertaining and interesting, but, for me, it also left a lot to be desired. It doesn't really explain much about "The Event" (at least, not that I could suss out, but maybe I'm just dumb) and overall felt really...empty? Which, I mean, maybe what Lemire is going for since the whole setting/ ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Mister Miracle
  • Immortal Hulk, Volume 1: Or is he Both?
  • Immortal Hulk, Volume 2: The Green Door
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 6
  • My Heroes Have Always Been Junkies
  • Kill or be Killed, Vol. 1
  • Farmhand, Vol. 1: Reap What Was Sown
Jeff Lemire is a New York Times bestselling and award winning author, and creator of the acclaimed graphic novels Sweet Tooth, Essex County, The Underwater Welder, Trillium, Plutona, Black Hammer, Descender, Royal City, and Gideon Falls. His upcoming projects include a host of series and original graphic novels, including the fantasy series Ascender with Dustin Nguyen.

Black Hammer (4 books)