Start by marking “Ask Me Anything” as Want to Read:
Ask Me Anything

Ask Me Anything

2.87  ·  Rating details ·  142 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Twenty-six-year-old Rosalie Preston works by day as an advice columnist for the romantically perplexed readership of Girl Talk magazine. But her true passion is for the stage and for her fledgling theater troupe, the First Borns, a tight pack of friends and lovers who live (mostly) in the East Village. When Rosalie comes to the notice of suave Berglan Starker, a theater un ...more
Published February 17th 2005 by W. W. Norton Company (first published February 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Ask Me Anything, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ask Me Anything

Lisa Lewis
Feb 15, 2017 rated it liked it
This novel was a fairly cute romance - nothing heavy, but the characters were interesting and the plot enjoyable.
Rose
Nov 28, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, romance
I'm going to apologize to Francesca Delbanco in advance because she seems like she could be a really sweet writer, and "Ask Me Anything" had such an interesting premise that I thought it would be a delightful novel. I mean, even the blurb on the book says that Rosalie is "such a loveable young woman, I was sorry to leave her." As quoted by Diane Johnson.

I didn't really see the lovable or quirky side of Rosalie very much. She's making her living as a actress in a theater group (ironic I'm reviewi
Tamika
Aug 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
An excerpt from my readers response notebook

What is it about Rosalie choosing the unconventional partners?? First she chose Cam, a friend, and although they weren't in an on-going relationship...it just seems that it would cause unnecessary awkwardness among all of the friends that they were occasionally together. What happens when one of them finds someone? Is there discomfort for the one who is still unattached? Jealousy? Or maybe their relationship just allows for mutual understanding (that
Lisa
Aug 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, library-has
I really wanted to love this book, while I did enjoy it, love well no I didn't love it. I'd give it 3 1/2 stars, readable but also too easy to put down and leave, and not so compelling to pick back up. I did finish it so that's saying some thing.

Bookmarks Magazine

This is bona fide 'chick-lit', but one of the more insightful entries in the genre. More than one critic compared it to Friends, Sex and the City, and Seinfeld. In other words, it's written for self-absorbed 20-somethings. The plot isn't particularly original or surprising, but critics agree that it's a fun ride through the narrator's halting transition into adulthood. First-time author Delbanco, a veteran advice columnist for Seventeen, includes snippets of her protagonist's column throughout.

Heather
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
I looooved this book. I feel like I connected with the main character, Rosalie. She's trying so hard to hold onto all those familiar things and people in her life, while everyone is just growing up and moving on to bigger and better things, relationships, careers, etc. Throughout the novel, she's forced to kind of reevaluate her life and where she wants to go, who she wants to be. For a lot of the book, she kind of at a standstill, which is how I kind of feel lately, but she presses forward, and ...more
J
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: College Grads
Shelves: fiction
This book's narrative is enticingly refreshing. The main character doesn't apologize for being imperfect--if anything, it is her imperfections that make her a nearly perfect character to read. I adored this novel, particularly the unexpected relationships and the theatrics throughout. It was a tremendous summer read and I would recommend this book to anyone about to graduate college without a clear idea of what they want to do.
Kandes
Oct 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: summer-reads
This book was decent, nothing to rave about or anything. Just your typical "chick-lit". I did really like way that Francesca Delbanco wrote it though, it felt like she was telling me her story over a cup of coffee, it wasn't something that required alot of thinking which is what I've been looking for lately.
Elizabeth
Oct 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Delbanco's debut novel is a hit. It's an ode to twenty-something life in the Big Apple, making the transition from an insulated group of college friends to a more independent way of being. The protagonist lives boldly and owns her ups and downs without Delbanco's writing coming across as too outlandish. Ultimately, the protagonist is lovable and surprising in a purely satisfying way.
Diana
Jul 02, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
I picked this up because it was written by the older sister of a schoolmate. Nothing particularly special about a rather run-of-the-mill chick lit story, although the unapologetically sleeping with a married man angle didn't really win the main character much of my sympathy either. Well written, good beach book if you're looking for something really light.
Kandace
If you want a good book about a girl just trying to make it in acting in the city then this is your book. Rosalie is a delightful, yet complexed girl with a group of rich wanna-be actor friends. It is the stereotypical life of living in New York.

Gets good about half way in
Julie
Sep 12, 2007 rated it liked it
This is better-than-average chick lit. It is smartly written, and Rosalie (the protagonist) has a quick tongue – she reminded me of a Melissa Banks heroine, in her hilarious comments and her neuroses.
Anjali
May 29, 2008 rated it did not like it
Randomly came across this book when looking for something to read. Nothing special about it - story about 20 something aspiring actors in New York - just not all that interesting and nothing inspiring about the writing style.
Tori
May 08, 2009 rated it liked it
I don't know what it is that I liked about this book exactly. Rosalie is completely narcissistic and selfish and kind of hard to like even with her quirky observations, but somehow I found myself cheering her on and turning the pages which I can't or won't do unless I like a book. Interesting.
Katie Wilkes
Jun 24, 2009 rated it liked it
Surprisingly scandalous.
Klaudyna Z.
Oct 29, 2010 rated it did not like it
This book was pretty boring. I kept waiting for something interesting to happen and it never did.
Karina
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Great book for anyone 20-25 as a coming of age book. For anyone older, it runs a bit "been there, done that".
Amy
Jan 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
Good story but the characters were not fully developed enough for me.
Rachel
Mar 19, 2010 rated it liked it
A fairly good novel.
Rebecca
Jul 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Fun summer reading, enjoyable sentences.
Kelly
  • Losing It
  • So 5 Minutes Ago
  • Love: A User's Guide
  • Free Agent
  • Stories for a Teen's Heart: Over One Hundred Stories to Encourage a Teen's Soul
  • The Sleep-Over Artist: Fiction
  • Dead Air
  • Six Weeks to Toxic
  • It's Not Like I Planned It This Way (Alice, #16-18)
  • Hot Legs
  • After Hours (The Party Room, #3)
  • Two Moons in August
  • Chicken Soup Stories for a Better World (Chicken Soup for the Soul)
  • MEAN GIRLS