Start by marking “You Never Know” as Want to Read:
You Never Know

You Never Know

Hagen Wylie has it all figured out. He’s going to live in his hometown, be everybody’s friend, explore new relationships, and rebuild his life after the horrors of war. No muss, no fuss is the plan. He’s well on his way—until he finds out his first love has come home too. Hagen says it’s no big deal, but a chance encounter with Mitch Thayer’s two cute sons puts him directl ...more
Published July 21st 2017 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about You Never Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Never Know

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

Utterly ridiculous, and not in a good way.

Look, I get Mary Calmes, and I have realistic expectations of her work. Yes, plots will be bonkers, and yes, there will be certain plot elements repeating, however this one really tested me.

I listened to the audio version, and Greg Tremblay did a fantastic job with the narration. I loved his reading, his natural cadence, and all of the depth and range that he gave these characters. However, the best audio in the world can't make up for a bonkers story.
Jenni Lea
Apr 30, 2017 rated it really liked it

Ok, so Red sent me her review and it was so good and so detailed that I couldn't think of anything else that needed to be said. I told Red that I was gonna just say "ditto" to her review.

Well, this is me saying it.

Ditto.

The only thing I can even think to add to this is that I need Ash's book something fierce. I'm getting down on my knees. I've got my big puppy dog eyes on. I've got my hands clasped together in a plea. So, here goes...

MARY CALMES WILL YOU PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE, EXTRA SPECIAL PLEA
Wendy
Release day Review ;)

3-5stars.jpg (1600×330)

I am a huge Mary Calmes fan.....she writes it and I read it. Simple as that :P

mEJqw_s-200x150.gif (200×150)

This is a "second chance love" trope and even though it wasn't my favorite by this author (Jory and Sam will always be my fav), it was still a good read ;)

Hagen and Wylie were best friends when they were young....which eventualy turned to much more. They were supposed to live the rest of their lives together...but they didn't. Mitch joined the NFL and left Hagen. He also married a woman and had 2 k
Susan
Jun 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, gbr, mm

While this had all the regular ingredient of a Mary Calmes book, the love interest had very little page time and the second love interest took up waaaaay too much space in this book.

The romance was like we know from a Mary book, very possessive, very MINE MINE MINE, and quite sweet.

But unfortunately Hagen was busy with Ash for most of this book. While I really wanted him to be busy with Mitch, his one true love. Don’t worry, we don’t get on page sex with other people or anything like t
Riayl
Jul 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mm, romance
Well. That was disappointing. Started out good and I really liked Hagen's character...until Mitch showed up. Then the story just went to crap. I didn't like Mitch at all, too freaking arrogant, and Hagen turned into a wishy-washy doormat when Mitch entered the picture. Very unsatisfied with their relationship. (I have a thousand more gripes on the subject but I will restrain myself - and don't even get me started on the magically disappearing PTSD because his body trusts Mitch)

The other thing I
BWT (Belen)
I adore Mary Calmes and her writing, but this, for me, was a case where her signature first person, single POV did not serve the story well.

I love a good Second Chance Romance story, but I'll admit I'm a hard sell with them too. Especially when forgiveness is necessary. I require a lot of groveling, and it's easier to see how truly sorry someone is if their POV is included.

Hagen Wylie and Mitch Thayer met when Hagen was fourteen and Mitch fifteen. They became best friends and eventually lovers w
Renée
If you know me at all, you know that MC is my crack. But when she throws in the second-chance-at-love trope? I'm all

Hagen and Mitch were high school sweethearts, out and proud as you can be as a teenager. Since Mitch was a year older, he left for college sooner, while they planned for Hagen to join him a year later. But things didn't turn out that way.

Hagen is now firmly planted in their home town, and in his mid-30s. He has a casual fuck buddy relationship going with Ash, a growing Hollywood st
Natasha
Jun 15, 2017 marked it as to-read
Anyone but me think the guy on the cover kinda looks like Ross from friends? (with facial hair)
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
This book has my head spinning. I seem to be fighting with myself and my feelings are all a jumble.

There is this huge part of me that is screaming it’s Mary, Mary just does it for you but then there is another part of me telling myself I just didn’t love it. I might have even disliked some of it a bit.

And I am confused by this mix of feelings.

Favorite author or not, sometimes a book just doesn’t work completely.

I think what I didn’t like was the separation and that’s something I normally don’t
Karen
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars rounded down to 3 stars because still no 1/2 stars here on GR.

Well this one was aptly named because it seems "You Never Know"...

I freely admit with me when it comes to Mary Calmes they all start as 5 star reads and often stay that way or they may slide down to 4.5 or 4 stars. It's not very often that things slide below that.

I was pretty conflicted on this one. I liked the overall concept of the story but for me the devil was in some of the details.

Now for the best part of the story.
Jennifer☠Pher☠
**Audio**

So, advice. If you didn't like it when you read it the first time you probably won't like it read to you, Greg or no Greg.

This may not be 100% accurate but it for sure was in this case. Actually, if I am being completely honest I think I liked it less than I did the first time. Ugh.

Mary is my favorite and it just kills me to not absolutely adore something she has written but this was just so un-Mary and I just can't.

Ash took over the entire book and Mitch was just so undeserving I can't
Aeren
Jul 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
Disclaimer: no me gusta ser una bitch pero tampoco me gusta ser deshonesta en mis opiniones así que, siento que decir que esto (que me niego a catalogar en las cercanías de novela) es poco más que una pérdida de tiempo, es lo más sincero.
Empecé a leer con 3 años y desde entonces no he parado y no creo recordar semejante caos jamás. Es cómo si alguien se hubiese decidido a tomar todos y cada uno de los estereotipos más casposos de la F|M y los hubiese vestido con un puñado de testosterona (porque
*~*~Fawkes, Padfoot, and Prongs~*~*
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!! My updates chronicle it all so perfectly. I'll eventually post said updates here as well, but in the meantime, if you want to know why I disliked this book as much as I did, then I suggest you head over to the updates section because it's all there :-/!!

UGH this book. NO!! What a complete and absolute let down :-/ ... this book does NO justice whatsoever to the 'A Day Makes' [the book released before this one], which I ADORED!! Big fat bummer!
Mwanamali
Damn!

Karen
You never know...but I probably should have...

I probably should have skipped this one on audio...but it's Mary Calmes and the narrator was Greg Tremblay and well...willpower I has none.

I have to admit this one isn't my favorite Mary Calmes book...not even in the top 5 but that's life, right? We can love everything, every time and this it seems is no exception.

While I once again loved Greg Tremblay's narration of this story and definitely had no issues there and if I'm rating just the narratio
Valerie ❈M/M Romance Junkie❈
Let me start by saying that I am a Mary Calmes fan. I have read several of her books so many times that I can recite them along with the audio. This book will NEVER be one of those. I LOVED Greg Tremblay's narration, but sadly he didn't have a lot to work with. There was too much Ash time. There was too little time between the actual main characters. My biggest problem? There was not enough begging. I'm sorry, but Mitch needed to crawl on his knees for how things ended with him and Hagen. Hell, ...more
Sara
5 Hearts

Buddy read and review with my girl Jenni Lea.

description

It’s no secret I am a Calmes addict. I cannot get enough of the author's work and honestly get ridiculously excited when I see her come out with new books. She is my most read author on Goodreads and there is a reason for that. I adore the romances she writes and I will never tire of them. Ever.

When I saw this book pop up with just a title on Goodreads I wanted it and wondered if it had anything to do with another book from the author but t
Lada
Jul 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
I fucking hate this book! And the MCs. Doormat-for-Mitch Hagen and total asshole Mitch. I guess I know now what my friend felt when she read Ventures and Investments.
Trio
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-r2r, mm
You Never Know is an awesome dose of the good old-fashioned Mary Calmes I love and didn’t realize how much I needed til I started reading this book!

Trying to make a life for himself back in his home town, Hagen Wylie has a lot to overcome. Scarred both physically and mentally from his service in Afghanistan, the last thing he wants is the return of his first love, Mitchell Thayer.

After seventeen years of no contact, Mitch is back in town and he wants Hagen back. Hagen resists but, as we Mary Cal
Lily
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. A peculiar and rather unconvincing read for me. It was peculiar because the two who were supposed to reconnect only met again about halfway through. Meanwhile, the former friend with benefits Ash had more meaningful talks with Hagen than the mostly absent Mitch.

As for the romance, it was unconvincing since Mitch's motives remained obscure to me. He uprooted his family and business all of a sudden and was apparently in love with Hagen, despite not getting in touch for many years. What
Tammy
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
All Hagen did throughout the book was argue with his lovers. When Mitch came into the picture I wasn't fond of him at ALL, he was overly confident and arrogant and didn't come close to grueling enough for me to have Hagen's forgiveness. 🤨 This story had much potential but it fell short for me, I would liked to hear more of Hagen's struggle with PTS and his story when he was captured. Not one of my favorite reads by Mary Calmes.
Leah
Makhda
Jordan
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: alphabookclub
3.5/5 Stars for You Never Know, rounded up to 4 Stars for Goodreads.

Wooooooooo, this book tested my patience. To begin with, I liked the book. I really did. Hagen was a complete sweetheart. I loved the past-relationship history between him and Mitch and no matter how many times Hagen said that what he and Mitch had was in the past... I knew he was a liar liar pants on fire!

I mean really, how could he sit there and say that after he was thinking about the guy all morning. I don't know. Sometimes
The Reading's Love Blog
RECENSIONE QUI: https://thereadingslove.blogspot.com/...

description
Con "Non si sa mai" mi ha regalato dei momenti squisiti, mi ha fatta rilassare e sorridere facendomi leggere una bella e romantica storia d'amore. Il primo amore non si scorda mai oppure la vita e le vicende passate possono farci deviare da un percorso che era destino? Questa è la storia di Hagen che dopo aver rischiato la vita in guerra si ricostruisce una vita nella sua cittadina natale dove tutti sono amici da una vita, dove è amato e ma
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
“Sweet and simple, this storyline is different for Calmes but I still thing it’s a solid story.”

Read this review in its entirety at Under the Covers Book Blog
Deeze
Mar 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: quick-easy-reads
I expect over the top sweet and easy with this author but unfortunately this one was more irritating.

I'm sorry but I still dislike Mitch. He was an arrogant arse. There was so real remorse from him. A little I'm sorry now forgive me so we can move on is not my idea of a sincere apology.

I liked Hage at first. I was keen to learn more of his disabilities. But after the first mention they were never mentioned again and I soon found myself annoyed with him too.

Ash I kinda liked. Even knowing he wa
Shannon
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I don't know that I've ever given three stars to a Mary Calmes book but this one just didn't do it for me like normal for two very important reasons. One, Hagen was with Ash for more than half the book which means our MCs weren't even really talking much let alone anything else. Two, Mitch needed to cut his fucking dick off and present it to Hagen with a bouquet of flowers and chocolate to even begin to make amends for what he did to him. He never even came remotely close to apologizing enough f ...more
Helen
Aug 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Bonkers , but I liked it !
Leaundra
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this because yeah Mary! I just get and enjoy her writing. It's how my mind works, lol. I had pre-ordered this but sometimes with her books I wait and pick them up and down to savor them ;-) I would love for this to be a series.
  • Private Truths
  • Poppy's Secret
  • Gay Like You (G-A-Y #2)
  • How to Raise an Honest Rabbit (Granby Knitting, #2)
  • Last Mechanic Standing (Wrench Wars, #1)
  • Rebel (415 Ink, #1)
  • Romancing the Ugly Duckling (Romancing the..., #2)
  • Black Snow
  • Te quiero
  • Trial by Fire
  • Shy Cowboy (Uncommon Cowboys, #3)
  • Something's Brewing at Joe's
  • Werewolves of Chernobyl
  • Tougher To Love (Jasper, #1)
  • Fireman's Carry (Carry Me #1)
  • A Viking for Yule
  • Then the Stars Fall
Mary Calmes believes in romance, happily ever afters, and the faith it takes for her characters to get there. She bleeds coffee, thinks chocolate should be its own food group, and currently lives in Kentucky with a five-pound furry ninja that protects her from baby birds, spiders and the neighbor’s dogs. To stay up to date on her ponderings and pandemonium (as well as the adventures of the ninja) ...more