Start by marking “Sister of Mine” as Want to Read:
Sister of Mine

Sister of Mine

When is a debt ever fully paid?

Penny and Hattie are sisters in a small town, bound tight to the point of knots. They share a secret they cannot escape, even while it pulls them apart. One night, a match is lit, and Penny’s terrible husband is killed – a marriage going up in flames, and offering the potential of a new life. The sisters retreat into their family home – a hou
Published April 17th 2018 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Sister of Mine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sister of Mine

Start your review of Sister of Mine
Crumb
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tense and unflinching thriller.

The backdrop to this story is in a sleepy little town, the perfect environment in my opinion for what lays in wait. This type of thriller does not come around every day. It was atmospheric, dark, and unnerving in the best way possible. The relationship between sisters, Penny and Hattie, was raw and exposed. There was such a frankness to the way that they communicated. However, beneath the surface there was a sisterly bond that may not have been the healthiest. They
Norma
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love the title of this book and found it to be extremely fitting for this story and it reminded me of all the times that I have said “That sister of mine!” whether it be when I am a little annoyed with her or loving her at that time! Also, what made this book extra special to read for me was reading it with my sister, Brenda!

SISTER OF MINE by LAURIE PETROU is an engaging, tense, and haunting domestic suspense novel about the bond and secrets shared by two sisters, Penny and Hattie.
Berit☀️✨
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, net-galley
4 Sister Sister Stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟

"A sister is both your mirror —and your opposite."

I’ve read quite a few books lately with complicated sister relationships... I unfortunately or fortunately, depending upon how you look at it do not have a sister... I have brothers, my daughter has brothers, I haven’t had to navigate the sister relationship as a sister or as a mother of sisters.... so the sister relationship is a bit of an enigma to me... just asked my daughter if she wished she had a sister... and her
Debra
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley

"Keep your enemies close and your sister closer."

Sisters Penny and Hattie have always had secrets! It began in childhood and continues to the current day. But the current secret is the biggest one of all - it is the one which could lead to their downfall. Will the truth come out or will they crumble under the weight of the secret they share? After Penny's husband dies in a house fire, Penny and Hattie live together in their childhood home and things appear to be great between them. But
Linda
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
The fire that never goes out.....

Sister of Mine entails the comings and goings, the connections and disconnections, the bound and the unbound in one misshapened family nest. Believe me, there's a catch-all of crooked twigs in this little abode.

Laurie Petrou reveals the burnt ashes at the core of her novel from the very first pages. Sisters Penny and Hattie live as adults in their family's home in the small town of St. Margaret. Petrou gives no markers of time nor geographical location. As reader
Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
There is no greater love and greater betrayal that occurs than between two sisters… Wow, what a wonderful book this is by Laurie Petrou!!! I had the pleasure of reading this with Brenda, Norma and Berit as a mini Traveling Sisters read. Of course, as many of you know, Brenda and Norma are real life sisters and they live in Canada! In fact, they recognized many of the settings in this book, so that was an added layer of delight I got to have when we discussed it.

About the Book

Penny and Hattie los
Julie
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sister of Mine by Laurie Petrou is a 2018 Crooked Lane publication.

A sister can be seen as someone who is both ourselves and very much not ourselves- a special kind of double. -Toni Morrison

This book explores a much more complicated sisterly relationship than most, which creates a taut, atmospheric environment, with tension building and building, finally reaching a riveting breaking point.

Penny’s husband becomes abusive which, in total desperation, causes her to pull her younger sister, Hattie
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
4 chilling stars to Sister of Mine! 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟

Sisters always have their share of secrets, but Penny and Hattie’s are dark and world-shattering. Their mother passed away in a tragic accident, and their father walked out on the family. Penny, as the oldest, was the caregiver for Hattie, the younger and more carefree sister; however, their relationship is complicated and dysfunctional.

When Penny’s husband becomes a tyrant and physically abusive, an accident involving a fire is orchestrated resulting
James
I requested Sister of Mine by Laurie Petrou from NetGalley earlier this year after the publisher, Crooked Lane Books, contacted me about this new 2018 release. It sounded fantastic, so I added it to my August 2018 TBR queue. I enjoyed this family drama with a few twists and look forward to more from the author.

Fires are dangers. Sometimes they burn out. Sometimes they kill people. And even worse, sometimes, they're deliberate. From the very beginning, you know something bad happened between thes
Liz
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
As an only child, I’m intrigued by the ties and bonds of siblings. That ability to often hate and love someone at the same time. Here, two sisters have a really twisted relationship. What do they owe each other?

In the beginning, the writing style is a bit disjointed, like the author is purposely trying keep you off balance. Or at least it felt that way to me. But then it gets going and it’s a fast paced ride to the finish.
Nothing liking the same man to really screw things up. And there
Carol
3.5 Stars

"You owe me." "You owe me." "You owe me."

Two sisters......forever bonded. The younger, a wild and vivacious beauty of a redhead; the older, a tortured soul of a brunette. Add to the mix a handsome man desired by both, a secret that must never be revealed and you have one complex and volatile relationship.

A tragic loss exacerbates the on-going sibling rivalry, a policeman becomes an eerie threatening presence, and a dangerous, evil man causes heated upheaval.

SISTER OF MINE is a fas

Katie B
I'm not quite sure how to classify this book as it had elements of suspense, a little bit of mystery, but really the heart of the story is the relationship between the two sisters. I have to say when I finished reading I was feeling very thankful I don't have such a complicated relationship with my sister. Penny and Hattie have only had each other for much of their lives as their father left when they were children and their mother died when they were teenagers. A secret they share threatens to ...more
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Have you ever wondered what happened after the conclusion was reached that . . . . .

If so, Sister of Mine may very well be the book for you! This is the story of sisters Penny and Hattie, an abusive husband that needed to go away and never-ending familial debt. Obviously not much else can be said about this book without taking a risk of ruining everything for everyone. I will say that the approach to the storytelling was a bit
Holly  B (semi-hiatus until Jan)
The bond between two sisters is tested.

I was quickly drawn into this well-written novel about two orphaned sisters. It was sprinkled with mystery, suspense and drama.  How strong is their sister bond? Penny and Hattie will test it and stretch it until it becomes a tangled web of emotions and deceit. Penny is the oldest and her sisters wellness is always on her mind.

The sisters share a secret that rules over their lives like a dark cloud and will ultimately lead to them to make a  siste
Michelle
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
This is one of those books that my eager little finger couldn't resist hitting the request button for over at NetGalley even though I knew nothing about it and I hadn't heard of the author before. The cover struck something in me so I figured what the hell. I am so glad I did. I love it when you have no expectations and the book ends up being very unique and incredibly compelling. Sister of Mine was that book for me.

We have Penny and Hattie, two orphaned sisters, that are bound to one another i
Erin
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Thanks to Netgalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Sister of Mine chilled me right down to the hairs on my head. Sisters Penny and Hattie have a very dark and twisted relationship that began in childhood and continued into their adult lives. Laurie Petrou managed to keep me in the edge of my seat and also completely terrified me. Being in Penny's head was quite uncomfortable and yet, there were moments that I felt more empathy than revulsion to her dilemmas.

A powerful
Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
I do have to start off by commenting on the title like Norma did. I love the title and every time I think of the title I think of Norma calling me That Sister of Mine. Which she did quite regularly. So when I saw this title I knew we had to read it.

Well, let me just say that’s where any similarity to this story ended. These sisters and their dynamics and complicated relationship is nothing like my boring relationship with Norma. Thank goodness!

When we first meet the sisters Penny and Hattie we
L A i N E Y
There is something inexplicably sinister about this one. Both the writing and story have such prevalent claustrophobic feeling to it through and through.

“I look back and see now that this is what we spent our lives doing: trying to contain the flood.”

What a bummer, the longer I read, the more I was fed up with Penelope. Who’s so attached to wallowing in her self-pity and her beloved “victim” mindset and managed to swallow up so much space in the story - which got dull and irritating pretttt
Jill McGill
"Sisters, like secrets, are best kept close."

Sisters Penny and Hattie have been extremely close since childhood. So close that they even share a deep dark secret that they can't escape from. Will this secret be the one thing that finally tears them apart?

Tragically, one night, Penny's abusive husband is killed in a house fire leaving Penny alone with nowhere to live. The sisters decide to move into their old family home together so Penny can move on with her life. A year goes by after the fire
Darinda
Penny and Hattie are sisters who have always relied on each other. As an adult, Penny finds herself in a troubled marriage with an abusive husband. When an unlit cigarette results in a tragic fire, the sisters are bound together more than before. To complicate matters, a new man enters the sisters lives and the detective working the arson is doubtful it was an accident.

An intriguing story of two sisters. The characters are well-developed and have a very complex relationship. While they are close
Mandy White
Sister of Mine by Laurie Petrou was not quite the book that I was hoping for. The story sounded like something different that I would enjoy but I struggled to get into it and found it to be pretty slow paced. The sisters were just awful people who I could not connect to.

The Grayson sisters Hattie and Penny only had each other. Their mother died in a tragic accident when they were young and their father walked out on them. They live in a small town where everybody knows everybody, but these sist
Louise Wilson
Penny and Hattie's mother died in a tragic accident. Their father had walked out on the family. Penny and Hattie's relationship is complicated. They prefer each other's company, scared that their secrets will be discovered. But then a man comes into their lives. They enjoy his company, that is until it all begins to crumble before their eyes.

It was clear from the start of the book that things weren't going to end well. The pace is slow at times. It's one of those books that you don't want to say
Linda Strong
3.5 Stars

Penny and Hattie ... sisters bound by love, hate, secrets and lies. Theirs is a complex, twisted relationship on the brink of breaking wide open.

Penny's abusive husband is killed in a house fire. A year later, a new man appears in her life ... a man that Hattie is also attracted to. As their feelings grow for this man, resentment sets in and sibling rivalry rears its ugly head.

This is a well-written debut novel of psychological suspense. The sisters are finely drawn and the central focu
Eva
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
There is always something quite fascinating about the relationship between sisters, for some reason. However, the relationship between Penny and Hattie is a tad on the dysfunctional side.

The two sisters have always found themselves on the outside of the small community where they’ve lived their entire lives. As a teenager, Hattie makes a break for freedom but young love and the lure of her hometown soon bring her back home. After Hattie’s husband dies in a fire, the sisters retreat to their fami
Malina Skrobosinski
As I sit here... reflecting on this novel, I have no words. This isn't what I would call a memorable read. It's not a bad read, certainly not of poor writing, but what it doesn't hold for me, is that captivating nature.

I should mention that I have two siblings... an older brother, in which we are very close in age, and a younger sister, who is almost 13 years younger (12ys and 11 months if you want to get technical). I suppose there is a connection that we all have with our siblings, but in tru
Monnie
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Love-hate relationship? Sisters Penny and Hattie Grayson have taken it to a whole 'nother level. Now that I think about it, that's kind of the way I feel about this book. At one sitting, I loved it; at the next, not so much. The only thing my split brain could come together on is that I really didn't like either [twisted] sister.

That's not to say, though, that it's not a good book; in fact, I finished it easily in two days, actually carving out time to read more when I should have been doing oth
Thelma Fountain
May 04, 2018 rated it liked it
I received this book in a goodreads giveaway. This was an in depth examination of a complex relationship between two sisters. They conspire to commit a crime and keep that secret between them. This has a detrimental affect of their own mental health as well as their relationship with each other. We also see the far reaching affect their actions and secrets have on other people in their lives. It was a very interesting read.
 LEAH⇢
BOOK TAGS⇣
⇢ 3.5 ✰STARS✰
⤏ THE BOND OF SISTERS
⤏ WEBS OF DECEIT
⤏ THE TRUTH COMES OUT
⤏ THE THINGS WE DO FOR LOVE

MY THOUGHTS⇣

This is one of those thrillers/suspense novels...you know the ones that aren't all that thrilling or suspenseful, the slow-burns that rely on characterization more than action. It's also another story about the relationship between two sisters, I have read a lot of these lately.

At its core, it's about the things they do to each other and for each other. How you can be both clos
OutlawPoet
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh, this is a thrilling beach read!

Our two sisters are very unexpected. There's a lot of darkness in this book and it went in completely different directions than I anticipated.

I honestly didn't like either of the sisters, though for very different reasons. Even at the end of the book, when shocking secrets were revealed and I finally knew who these people really were, I hated them.

But, even as I hated them, I loved to read them. The book simply kept me riveted (and horrified) all the way throug
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
A suspense thriller surrounding two sister, the secrets they keep and how it haunts them. As an only child, I always am curious about sibling relationships. While I did grow up with a cousin who is only a year and a half older in the same household for a number of years who feels more like a sister, it certainly isn't the same as growing up and knowing a sister or brother for most or all of your lifetime.
Have you ever lorded a secret over a sibling or friend? Or continually said that they owed
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Mother Knows Best
  • When You Find Me
  • Last Girl Gone (Laura Chambers Mystery, #1)
  • Beneath the Shadows
  • One Little Secret
  • This is not your fault
  • Dying Breath
  • The Liar's Girl
  • The July Girls
  • Recipe for a Perfect Wife
  • The Last Affair
Author, Professor, PhD, drinker of tea.
Most of my adventures take place inside books.

News & Interviews

“...we'd learned enough growing up to know that secrets can't be split in more than half or they start to crumble, and you find pieces of them all over town in everybody's pockets...” 1 likes