Start by marking “Hellbent (Orphan X, #3)” as Want to Read:
Hellbent (Orphan X, #3)

Hellbent

(Orphan X #3)

4.43  ·  Rating details ·  14,129 ratings  ·  1,433 reviews
To some he was Orphan X. Others knew him as the Nowhere Man. But to Jack Johns he was a boy named Evan Smoak. Taken from an orphanage, Evan was raised inside a top-secret government programme and trained to become a lethal weapon. By Jack. And yet for all the dangerous skill he instilled in his young charge, Jack Jones cared for Evan like a son.

But Jack knew too much about
Published January 30th 2018 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Hellbent, please sign up.
Cecilie Krogh Having read the two other books, you should absolutely read the two first books before starting on the third one. The Orphan X series is after all a t…moreHaving read the two other books, you should absolutely read the two first books before starting on the third one. The Orphan X series is after all a triology, with a connection throughout the whole story, even though different settings and happenings are introduced in each book.
Not only that, the series itself is breath taking, and when I first started reading I wasn´t anle to place the book away
In other words, you can read it as a stand-alone, but ti will make more sense by reading Orphan X and The Nowhere Man first(less)
Pisces51 I was in the same boat. I wanted to read Orphan X when it was first out, but just couldn't justify the cost. My local library system didn't carry any …moreI was in the same boat. I wanted to read Orphan X when it was first out, but just couldn't justify the cost. My local library system didn't carry any novels by Hurwitz. I bought the first book when it was on Amazon at a bargain price. Fortunately, my library network is now carrying the Orphan X series in addition to other works by Hurwitz.

I use my library system a lot. I am currently reading the 4th installment (OUT OF THE DARK), and I have rented books 2,3, and now 4.

BTW HELLBENT is absolutely the best novel out of the first three. I absolutely loved it.

I know that the library has already been recommended to you. Just a note to say the wait is worth it.(less)

·  14,129 ratings  ·  1,433 reviews

Start your review of Hellbent (Orphan X, #3)
Meredith
Nov 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: overdrive
“Vanishing was easier when you already didn’t exist.”

Hellbent is a fast-paced page-turner about Orphan X’s next mission to protect a 16-year-old girl from being killed by a group of highly-skilled assassins.

Book #3 finds former secret government assassin Evan Smoak, a.k.a. Orphan X, taking a 16-year-old former Orphan in training under his wing. Having to care for the vulnerable teen brings out many suppressed emotions and forces him to embrace his human side, making him a prime target to those
Julie
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hellbent by Gregg Hurwitz is a 2018 Minotaur publication.

1-855-2-NOWHERE

This special number will connect you to The Nowhere Man- a man who helps those who require specialized assistance and have no other recourse.

However, the Nowhere Man also happens to be Orphan X- aka- Evan Smoak. At age twelve, Evan was plucked from the foster care system by Jack Jones and trained to be a government assassin. But Jack is the only person in the world who ever showed Evan the slightest bit of humanity, who lo
Kaceey
Could the most lethal human weapon have a softer side? Well...I think we’re about to discover the answer!

Evan was once a professional assassin, handled by his mentor, Jack Jones. Choosing to put that life behind him, Evan went rogue from the “program.” That decision put his life in imminent danger, as those in charge needed to clean up loose ends. But who exactly is in charge of tidying things up? And what other name is on the dirty laundry list?

After a bit of a slow start, the tension increas
Larry H
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I finished Hellbent , the third book in Gregg Hurwitz's fantastic series featuring rogue government assassin Evan Smoak, I got to thinking. You literally could spend the entire year reading books in different series, between YA, mysteries, thrillers, science fiction, fantasy, even romance. It certainly would make things easier in terms of figuring out what your next book to read should be!!

There really are some amazing series out there, and this one is no exception.

When Evan Smoak (not h
Theresa Alan
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though this series is about a well-trained man who helps people who need helping while also trying to dodge another member of the Orphan program, Van Sciver, who wants him dead, it’s also about kids in foster care and the way the system fails these orphans. About not having parents or guardians who are able/alive to care for kids.

There are two stories going on here. One, Evan (Orphan X) is tasked with rescuing a package—the dying wish of his mentor, Jack Johns. And two, a man calls saying his s
Paromjit
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gregg Hurwitz gives us another adrenaline fuelled thrill ride of an adventure in the third of the Orphan X thriller series with a wide and diverse collection of characters. The resourceful Evan Smoak finds himself on an emotional search for vengeance aided by others and still finds time to be the Nowhere Man, helping a man by taking on a ruthless LA gang. Orphan Y, Charles Van Sciver, is now the Head of the Orphan programme, he and other shadowy government forces are determined to get to and eli ...more
PattyMacDotComma
4.5★
‘Can you hack it?’
She kept her head lowered, her fingers moving. ‘I’m gonna pretend you didn’t ask me that.’
He cast an eye toward the facility’s front door. ‘The cops are gonna be here soon.’
‘Well,’
she said, ‘then it’s a good thing I’m fast.’

This one kept me enthusiastic all the way through. I like the returning characters and the new ones. There’s still some grim stuff, but not quite so much spelled out (or maybe I just got good at skimming, but I don’t think so).

The conversation above
Phrynne
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Book three and Evan has returned home to his specialist vodka and his living wall of herbs, both of which I find hilarious in a man who does what this one does for a living. Anyway I am accustomed to it now and it does not detract from the rest of this fantastic book!

In Hellbent the action starts on page one and continues pretty solidly throughout the book. A new character called Joey is introduced who turns out to have some very useful skills and ends up partnering Evan in a quest for revenge.
Susanne  Strong
Holla! Evan Smoak is back and this time he’s not going it alone!

In “Hellbent” the third book in the “Orphan X” series, Evan is tasked with obtaining a package and that package is more precious than Evan could ever dream. Turns out it’s Joey, a teenage girl who failed out of the program that Evan escaped from long ago. Now it’s up to him to save her and himself from Orphan Y, also known as Charles Van Sciver, who has been tasked with wiping out all other orphans.

Of course, Evan and Joey have t
Barbara
Jan 20, 2018 rated it liked it

In this 3rd book in the "Orphan X" series, Evan Smoak - also known as Orphan X - is out to avenge the death of his mentor Jack Johns. When Evan was twelve, Jack took him from an orphanage and put him in a super-secret Department of Defense black-ops program - a scheme designed to turn orphans into highly skilled assassins. The children were stripped of their names and designated alphabetically: Orphan A, Orphan B, Orphan C....and so on.

Jack was like a father to Evan, and made sure th
Holly  B

This was another wild ride with Evan Smoak!

Otherwise none as Orphan X or the Nowhere Man. We get two adventures in this one and Evan shows that he has a heart and his moral compass shines. This might be my favorite in the series so far!

Super entertaining and fast paced with some shockers and edge of your seat suspense. This was so much fun to read and understand more about Evan. Great character development and a riveting plot. A whole lot of action and more good vs evil missions. There is eve
Maureen Carden
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
It is scorched earth time for Evan Smoak. He was originally known as Orphan X from his time as a deep black government assassin trained from childhood in the Orphan program. Later Smoak became known as The Nowhere Man, helping people who have nowhere else to turn. But now Smoak is out for revenge on his own account, in scorched earth revenge seeking the death of the twenty-five men who were involved in the death of Smoak’s beloved mentor, Jack Johns. A sort of perverse 47 Ronin.
Johns has contac
Wendy
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gregg Hurwitz is one of my all-time favourite authors and a go to author if I need little sleep as a result of not being able to put his book down. Hellbent is the third book in his "Orphan X" series and it is definitely one of those books. Tons of fun and a page-turning, exciting thriller!
In Hellbent we learn more about Evan Smoak (Orphan X) and what makes him tick. We see a side of him that is vulnerable and uncertain.
This novel picks up after "The Nowhere Man" left off with Van Sciver still
Sean Peters
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Great author, A great Character, great book, again so nearly a five star.

They called him Orphan X, Evan Smoak, The Nowhere Man he used to be a government secret weapon.

Then he ran and became the man you call on when you've nowhere else to turn too, The Nowhere Man.

This time it's a teenage runaway called Joey.

Like Evan she's no innocent: she was brought up inside the same programme that raised him.

Now Evan must find Joey before those hunting her do.

Which is where the trouble begins.

Because thi
Josh
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, thriller, read_2018
Hellbent sees Evan Smoak (aka Orphan X, aka The Nowhere Man) embark on a rage fueled quest for revenge as he fights his way through a haze of corporate killers in search of the man responsible for murdering his mentor, Jack Johns.

The third installment in the Orphan X series is pure adrenaline with action scenes aplenty. However, there's a lot of character development / growth in Evan as he progressively establishes relationships and expands his silo'd inner circle.

Hellbent works both as a standa
Gary
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the 3rd book in the 'Orphan X' series by author Gregg Hurwitz.
Evan Smoak was Orphan X, taken from a group home at twelve, he was raised and trained as part of the Orphan Program, an off-the-books operation designed to create deniable intelligence assets, assassins. He left the program, disappearing using the skills he had learnt to reinvent himself as the Nowhere Man.
This book is full of action and suspense and the excitement builds and builds to the very end of the book. I enjoyed thi
Glen
Jan 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Super Secret Agent Orphan X is free from the agency, but someone is trying to kill him. He picks up another orphan, and tries to start a relationship with his neighbor.

Not bad, never seems real, though.
Marialyce (absltmom, yaya)
4.5 this series just keeps on getting better stars

Well, Mr Hurwitz, you have done it again! You have made me quite happy that Evan Smoek has again been a character who is beyond brave, totally bad ass, and loyal. He is a protagonist I so enjoy and never disappointing.

In this action packed, hold your breath thriller, Evan tackles those who wish with glee to see his demise. If you have been following Evan and his escapades, you know that he was once part of an elite and deeply secret unit buried
Tim
May 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
After a fair start, the story wanders too much. Should have been edited shorter. Narrator Scott Brick adds little more than his tiresome inflections. 4 of 10 stars
Eric
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hellbent is the third installment of the Evan Smoak Orphan series and again, for modern thrillers, Gregg Hurwitz does not disappoint. Hellbent begins right after the ending of The Nowhere Man and to be fair to other readers, to offer too many details will only provide spoilers.

Hurwitz brings back other familiar characters and introduces a new one which adds to the layers of the novel.

Hurwitz again puts his main character into situations where the reader will wonder how Smoak will safely emerge
Kat
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you so much to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for getting me into this awesome series by Greg Hurwitz. “Hellbent” continues Evan Smoak’s amazing and increasingly destructive life after he receives a call from his mentor and father figure, asking for help. But is it too late for Jack to be saved? Swirling at the middle of all the madness as usual is Orphan Y, Evan’s nemesis from the boy’s home, who just can’t seem to let go of his bone to pick with Evan, no matter how many people are kill ...more
Dave
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When you find yourself ripping through all three books 📚 in a series in five days, the author might just be onto something. And, Indeed, with the Orphan X series, Hurwitz has managed to deliver three solid, action-packed thrillers one right after the other and his writing appears to be getting tighter with each new novel in the series.

If you are just finding this series with Hellbent, you will discover that The Nowhere Man was one of the so-called “Orphans” - men and women discovered at early t
The Real Book Spy
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this review and more at www.TheRealBookSpy.com

“Do you need my help?"

That’s how former government assassin turned vigilante Evan Smoak answers his special RoamZone each time it rings. As a rogue, highly-trained former member of the Orphan Program, a top-secret government project designed to turn children into killers, Evan has left that life behind. Now he’s known only as the Nowhere Man, the last hope for many people in desperate need.

This time, however, Evan recognizes the voice on the o
RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) Griffin (alwaysdaddyprincess)
4 stars

There is a side of the Nowhere Man that is not seen in this way before. I think it help strength the character more. Emotions get the best of us. Everyone handles grief differently. I look forward to the next in the series!

💀🐼🦋🇺🇸

Monica
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: give-aways, netgalley
Fantastic!! One of the best action/ thrillers I’ve read all year! As the third in a series, this one is definitely my favorite! And you could read as a stand alone and not miss anything. Reading the first two did give me a deeper understanding of Evan’s past relationships especially with his mentor/father figure.

The original villain Orphans are still in play and Evan continues his alternate life as the Nowhere Man. The addition of a 16 year old girl, Joey gives a rare look into Evan’s humanity a
Dee Arr
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action, thriller
Author Gregg Hurwitz returns to the constant pulse-pounding action scenes reminiscent of his first book, and Evan Smoak has his hands full trying to balance multiple issues at one time. Smoak is the author’s killer-with-a-conscience, trained by his handler to be deadly without losing his humanism. It is a balance that is once again challenged in “Hellbent.”

This is the third book in the series, and while it could be read as a standalone, the Orphan series is so much fun that I would suggest you g
Cindy Burnett
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: net-galley

Hellbent is the third book in the Orphan X series. I loved the first book, Orphan X, struggled a lot with the second one, The Nowhere Man, and felt Hellbent fell somewhere in the middle. In this installment, the plot and ancillary characters are strong. I enjoyed both the project he takes on as the Nowhere Man and the assignment Jack gives Evan as Jack dies. However, I felt the dialogue and conversations Evan kept having in his head with Jack were forced and unrealistic. I found it very
ChopinFC
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Stars

I've been shook!! What a fantastic, fast pace, espionage/thriller novel! 'Hellbent' is hands down the most entertaining CIA/thriller I've read in a long time! A amazing plot line, an affable but royally screwed up protagonist, and some nasty deviant foes, makes this a must read! RTC.
Bam cooks the books ;-)
Book three of the Orphan X series begins with a call on Evan's Nowhere Man hotline from Jack Johns, the man who essentially became Evan's father while training him to be an assassin for a deep secret government program. Jack is about to be captured by mercenaries hired by Charles Van Sciver, another Orphan assassin who seems to be on a mission to eliminate everyone involved in that program--and most especially, Orphan X.

Jack's farewell call and the subsequent video that Van Sciver makes sure Ev
Terence M
Another 5 Stars stunner! ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
Reviews for this and its 5 Stars predecessor will follow, I promise!! 😎
I am resisting very strongly the urge to start the next book in the “Orphan X” (Evan Smoak) series “Out of the Dark” immediately.
Grat book 1 18 Jan 30, 2018 02:09PM

• The List (Orphan X, #5.5)
  • The Gray Man (Gray Man, #1)
  • On Target (Gray Man, #2)
  • One Minute Out (Gray Man, #9)
  • Relentless (Gray Man #10)
  • Ballistic (Gray Man, #3)
  • Dead Eye (Gray Man, #4)
  • Agent in Place (Gray Man #7)
  • Gunmetal Gray (Gray Man, #6)
  • Mission Critical (Gray Man #8)
  • The Sentinel (Jack Reacher, #25)
  • Back Blast (Gray Man, #5)
  • The Hunter (Victor the Assassin, #1)
  • Savage Son (Terminal List #3)
  • The Terminal List (Terminal List, #1)
  • True Believer (Terminal List, #2)
  • The Breaker (Peter Ash, #6)
  • The Drifter (Peter Ash, #1)
See top shelves…
Gregg Hurwitz is the critically acclaimed, New York Times and internationally bestselling author of 20 novels, including OUT OF THE DARK (2019). His novels have been shortlisted for numerous literary awards, graced top ten lists, and have been published in 30 languages.

He is also a New York Times Bestselling comic book writer, having penned stories for Marvel (Wolverine, Punisher) and DC (Batman,

Orphan X (7 books)
  • Orphan X (Orphan X, #1)
  • The Nowhere Man (Orphan X, #2)
  • Out of the Dark (Orphan X, #4)
  • Into the Fire (Orphan X, #5)
  • Prodigal Son (Orphan X, #6)
  • Dark Horse (Orphan X #7)