Start by marking “Darkness, Sing Me a Song (Holland Taylor, #4)” as Want to Read:
Darkness, Sing Me a Song (Holland Taylor, #4)

Darkness, Sing Me a Song

(Holland Taylor #4)

David Housewright's Edgar Award-winning Holland Taylor series returns with a case of murder resulting from tragic, twisted drama in an extremely wealthy family in Darkness, Sing Me a Song.

Published January 2nd 2018 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Darkness, Sing Me a Song, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkness, Sing Me a Song

Linda Strong
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it

This is the 4th book of the series featuring Holland Taylor, a former police officer now working as a Private Investigator.

Book Blurb - Holland Taylor is a PI who does simple background checks and other mostly unchallenging cases. Still wounded by the long-ago death of his wife and daughter, and newly mourning a recently failed relationship, Taylor doesn’t have much interest in more challenging work. But almost by accident, he finds himself in the middle of the crime of the century.

A very wealth
LJ
First Sentence: She was tall, slender, impeccably tanned; strawberry hair fell in waves to her shoulders.

Wealthy and socially important Eleanor Barrington has been arrested for the murder of her son Joel’s fiancée, Emily Denys. PI Holland Taylor has been hired to help the defense law firm by investigating Emily’s background, only to find she doesn’t have one. That’s not the only mystery. Bigger questions revolve around the relationship between the mother and son, and where, if at all, does Joel’
Jessica
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Minotaur Books for the copy in exchange for my honest review!

I don't know how I had never heard of David Housewright before. Especially when it's a crime series set in Minnesota! Holland Taylor is a PI and finds himself in the middle of the crime of the century in DARKNESS, SING ME A SONG.

Eleanor Barrington is from a socially prominent and wealthy family, but she has been arrested for murder. Who did she allegedly kill? Her son's fiance, Emily Denys. Eleanor made it no secret that she
Alexis
Dec 21, 2017 rated it liked it
A fairly standard detective mystery that includes some taboo elements. I liked the character of Holland, and his relationship with his neighbour's child. The fact that he owned a rabbit rather than the usual cat or dog, and that the rabbit was essentially free range in his house was awesome. I also have a rabbit living like that, and it was nice to see. I felt like the story was somewhat generic murder mystery but some of the accusations had me raise my eyebrows at times. A generic, but good sta ...more
Aristotle
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Hello darkness, my old friend
I've come for you to sing me a song again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains"

A very disturbing vision.

You thought the Lannisters from Game of Thrones are dysfunctional?
The Barrington family is dysfunctional on steroids.
The matriarch Eleanor Barrington is charged with murdering her sons girlfriend Emily.
Private investigator Holland Taylor is hired by her attorney to find the truth
Jonnie Fitzgerald
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Engaging enough read. Why does every detetive/police/investigator novel with a main male character use the plot device of every viable female wanting to sleep with them. Blech. Halfway through the ending was predictable, but it was a decent quick read.
Tonstant Weader
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
The great thing about series mysteries is getting to know your character over time and seeing them change and grow, or in the case of Darkness, Sing Me a Song by David Housewright, getting reacquainted after an almost twenty-year absence. St. Paul detective Holland Taylor is back, this time working to prove an appalling, repugnant client is not guilty of murdering her son’s fiancée. Minnesota nice she ain’t.

The murdered Emily seems too good to be true, with co-workers and neighbors who adore her
2shay
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am in total shock and dismay. I had never heard of David Housewright until running into this book on NetGalley...! That almost makes me sick, because, trust me on this...this man can write a mystery! Wow. From what I can find out, this series was written, originally, as a trilogy back in the late 1990s. Apparently, he decided to bring it back after years of concentrating on his Mac McKensie series. I am so glad he did, because Holland Taylor is one of the best characters I’ve read in years.

Bef
Trina
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, kindle, netgalley
I received this arc from Netgalley.

A good read. A suspenseful book that kept me guessing. Definitely an enjoyable read.
Pgchuis
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, ebook
I received a copy of this novel from the publisher via NetGalley.

Eleanor Barrington has employed Holland, a PI, to look into the background of Emily, the woman her son Joel is involved with. Holland discovers that "Emily" is a persona which has only existed for the last 13 months. Then Emily is murdered and a reliable eye witness claims the shooter was Eleanor. Holland is employed by Eleanor's lawyer to undermine the case against her. Then links are discovered between Emily's death and that of t
Carol Custer
Dec 27, 2017 rated it liked it
I wasn't familiar with this author before and have not read the first three books in this series (didn't even know about them) but I don't feel that it was necessary to read them to enjoy this one. In fact at times, I felt there was too much 'explaining' of the backstory.

The writing is good and the story is pretty interesting though not especially unusual. I liked the character of Holland Taylor and his rabbit. One thing that irritated me (and maybe this is just me) was that everyone called Holl
Kathleen Gray
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Family secrets and lies always make for the best mysteries. In this case, the issue is Emily (who is she?) and Eleanor, her mother in law to be (is she the one who shot Emily?). Holland Taylor was originally hired for a background check that turns into a murder investigation. I'm not certain I'd want to work for Eleanor- to say she's not a nice person is an understatement. Her son's no gem either. Taylor is a classic wounded PI, dealing with heartbreak but still a concerned person. It's a fast r ...more
Brett Thomasson
Although detective fiction writer David Housewright is far better known for his Rushmore McKenzie novels, he began with a more traditional private investigator named Holland Taylor in 1995. Taylor appeared in three novels, finishing with 1999's Dearly Departed, before Housewright switched to McKenzie. He returned to Holland Taylor's Minneapolis to check in with the former police officer just this year, in Darkness, Sing Me a Song.

Housewright doesn't move Taylor ahead the full 19 years since his
Roger
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it
After nearly 20 years, David Housewright brings back Holland Taylor in his new book, DARKNESS, SING ME A SONG. Housewright started his career in mysteries with three books in this series, winning an Edgar Award for his debut novel. That's a pretty amazing start.

His usual practice was to publish every other year and I got into the habit of eagerly looking forward to his newest books. However, after book #3, five years passed before anything new came through and, that next book started the Rushmor
Larry
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
David Housewright wrote three Holland Taylor, p.i., novels between 1995 and 1999. He returns to Taylor following at least a dozen books about Rushmore Mackenzie, and I enjoyed the reawakening. Taylor does a lot of his investigative work for several toney law firms. One of them has a rich and crass client who is accused of killing her son's girlfriend. It is Taylor's job to muddy the waters by finding other possible killers, or to clear her outright.

Another murder might be connected, as the clien
Julie
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I have not read anything by this author before. that means I started with #4 in a series, but that seemed to work fine. And I really liked this book. I'm not sure I'll go back and read the three earlier ones that go with it. There's a roughly 20 year gap in the writing (not clear on gap in the setting) and this one has a lot of the backstory (which would be fore story if that's even a word) baked into it. But the characters are interesting and the plot nicely complicated.

In tone it is one of th
Catherine Woodman
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Holland Taylor is not one for get up and go, but he takes on the case of an unlikable woman who is accused of murdering a woman she threatened to kill and did not like. Even her son is convinced she is guilty, but she insists that she is not. Taylor finds out through some back channels that the bullet that killed her son's fiancee also killed a mayor across the border in Wisconsin--which is great news until he finds out that she had reason to hate him as well. He starts pulling a loose threads a ...more
Jul 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Thanks to Goodreads and the publisher for a free copy of Darkness, Sing Me a Song.

This was an enjoyable read — I’m not a big mystery reader, but I am a fan of fictional dysfunctional families, so that was right up my alley. I wasn’t completely comfortable with the portrayal of women in this book, particularly as they relate to Holland Taylor, but that’s also weirdly not an unusual response that I have towards a lot of PI fiction.
LeAnn Suchy
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Not my thing. I like a little more character development and a little less dialogue. It's almost all dialogue. I also just didn't really like Holland. We're in his head in the book and he doesn't think very highly of women, so I'm not sure why all these women like him.
Joe O'Connor
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent; Continuing character: Holland Taylor; after nearly 20 years, Taylor reappears and has been hired by a lawyer to assist in the case of a woman accused of murdering her son's girl friend, but a battle raging between ecology-minded people and frac-sand oil production may play a role as well
Al Stoess
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Housewright fans. Holland Taylor fans.
Dave White
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm a fan.
Great storyteller.
John Stanley
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really excellent. Housewright never disappoints me. This is another terrific, well written story.
Barbara Bakal
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
A well written story that takes you along with the investigation.
Teresa Stefaniak
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Welcome back Holland! Will continue to read this author.
Renee Valois
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Exciting--kept me reading (fast) to the very end! It's nice to see Holland Taylor back.
Vontel
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read this recently, not sure why I didn't record it. I don't know if I ever read any of the previous Holland Taylor books. I'm guessing at my read dates.
William Sonner
Jul 05, 2018
Bill
Sep 27, 2018
Bill Davis
Feb 13, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
A reformed newspaper reporter and ad man, Housewright's book "Penance" (Foul Play Press) earned the 1996 Edgar Award for Best First Novel from the Mystery Writers of America and was nominated for a Shamus in the same category by the Private Eye Writers of America.

"Practice to Deceive" won the 1998 Minnesota Book Award (it is currently being developed as a feature film) and "Jelly's Gold" won the s

Holland Taylor (5 books)
  • Penance (Holland Taylor, #1)
  • Practice to Deceive (Holland Taylor, #2)
  • Dearly Departed (Holland Taylor, #3)
  • First, Kill the Lawyers: A Holland Taylor Mystery