Start by marking “Good Talk: A Memoir in Conversations” as Want to Read:
Good Talk: A Memoir in Conversations

Good Talk: A Memoir in Conversations

A witty, heartfelt graphic memoir about what it truly means to be an American family--Aziz Ansari's Master of None meets Alison Bechdel's Fun Home

Mira Jacob's touching, often humorous, and utterly unique graphic memoir takes readers on her journey as a first-generation American. At an increasingly fraught time for immigrants and their families, Good Talk delves into the di
Expected publication: March 26th 2019 by One World

To ask other readers questions about Good Talk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Talk

Celeste Ng
GOOD TALK isn’t just Mira Jacobs's personal story: it also illuminates the increasingly fractured world we live in. By turns hilarious and heart-rending, it plunges fearlessly into the murky gray areas of race and family, of struggling to find common ground, of trying to talk to our children and help them make sense of it all. It's exactly the book America needs at this moment.
Emily
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful, funny, heartbreaking perfect book this is. Conversations with her six-year-old son about race in America, spurred by the 2016 election, frame flashbacks to Jacob's childhood and early adulthood. The dialogue is especially great - the voices of her son, her husband, her parents, and her in-laws shine.
Lauren
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Told with humor and a blunt honesty I love, Mira Jacob’s graphic memoir is really a memoir in two parts: Part one is Mira growing up in New Mexico in the 80’s and 90’s, wrestling with her own questions and experiences regarding race, sexuality, and love. Part two focuses on our country in its current political climate as her son begins to question everything from Michael Jackson’s changing skin color to why Trump would be angry at him for being brown.

Very serious topics, but everything Mira Jac
Jill Meyer
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mira Jacob has really written - and drawn - a memoir for our times. Jacob, the author of a marvelous novel, "The Sleepwalker's Guide to Dancing", published in 2014, has written "Good Talk: A Memoir in Conversations", a graphic work using text, drawings, and photographs to try to distill some of the angst in our society brought on by the election of Donald Trump in 2016. But the angst that Jacob felt for her and her young son actually began years before as the American-born daughter of Indian imm ...more
Katy
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the graphic memoir I never knew I needed. Jacob writes about growing up as a woman of color in the southwest, about navigating the fraught relationships with her white in-laws, and about raising a biracial son in New York during the Trump era. Good Talk is amazing, I cried, more coherent review to come later.
Csimplot Simplot
Excellent book!!!
Jen
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book captures beautifully and perfectly the experiences of raising kids today. Her frank conversations with her son and her struggles to answer honestly and lovingly echo so much in my own life. I would recommend this book to any parent, grandparent, aunt, uncle - anyone who cares about American society and how it impacts our kids, even when we aren't looking. I'm going to buy copies for everyone I know.
Audrey
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
4.5 Stars

This graphic memoir was so good on so many levels. It touches upon the author’s childhood and coming of age, as an East Indian growing up in New Mexico, colorism, relationships, marriage, family and our current political situation. These were the most thoughtful scenes, trying to explain to her brown child, about Trump and his supporters, including members of the author’s own family. I especially loved the artwork, drawings superimposed on pictures and found them so fitting for her stor
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A really honest and introspective look at many sides of discussions be it for race, gender, and simply what it means to live in America when you're not always seen as an American. Some of the best books are as honest as can be in the difficulties of larger conversations and just being, and they make you think long after you've turned the last page. GOOD TALK is one of those books.
David Gerrard
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great achievement--immensely entertaining and funny even at its most heartbreaking. Big-hearted and empathetic while rigorously refusing to accept evasions and excuses. I tore this book and will be revisiting it many times in my life.
Abby
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ownvoices
Timely and timeless in addressing identity, belonging and inter generational acceptance
E.B.
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh, wow. Yes, I cried.
Isabelle
I won this book through a Goodreads giveaway and received a free copy from Random House Publishing Group for review purposes. This does not affect my rating or opinions.

This was an incredible read: funny, heartbreaking, frustrating, and touching by turns. It's honest about the struggles of being a minority in America — Jacob's parents are from East India; her husband's family is Jewish; her son is biracial; the cast of minor characters is also diverse — as well as the duality of being a second-g
Susie
  • Watson and Holmes - A Study In Black
  • I Am Yours: A Shared Memoir
  • Young Frances
  • Walking on the Ceiling
  • Kim & Kim #1 (Kim & Kim, #1)
  • Turning Japanese
  • Patsy
  • Rx
  • Algeria Is Beautiful Like America
  • Kid Gloves: Nine Months of Careful Chaos
  • Pet
In previous lives, I directed editorial content for various websites, co-authored shoe impresario Kenneth Cole’s autobiography, and wrote VH-1’s Pop-Up Video. I also founded Pete’s Reading Series in Brooklyn, where I spent 13 years bringing literary fiction, non-fiction, and poetry to the city’s sweetest stage.

My other writing has been published in books, magazines, on television, and across the w