Start by marking “The Marriage Diaries” as Want to Read:
The Marriage Diaries

The Marriage Diaries

2.5  ·  Rating details ·  130 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
“Brutally honest and wonderfully witty, The Marriage Diaries had me laughing and crying–often at the same time.”
–Gemma Townley, author of Little White Lies

Meet Sean and Celeste–living proof that opposites attract.

Savvy and sophisticated Celeste is a top clothing buyer in London; Sean is a scruffy, eccentric writer turned stay-at-home dad who, courtesy of the couple’s toddl
Published September 26th 2006 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about The Marriage Diaries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Marriage Diaries

Nichole Eggen
May 20, 2014 rated it did not like it
I loved the first half of this book so much!! and was so angry at the last half. it was ridiculous and almost ruined the book. taken in halves, the first half gets a 4, the second half gets thrown into the fire and burned. I went out, bought 3 copies of it, ripped it almost exactly in half and gave it to 3 friends. *smile* only one of whom, by her curious nature asked for the second half, and was so sorry she did.
so, if you want to read this book? STOP in the middle! and it will be a great read
Nikki
Apr 03, 2009 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Horrible! It took me forever to read, probably because I just wasn't interested in it and was in no hurry to pick it up and continue reading. A big dud! I don't know why I bothered to even put forth the effort to finish it. It was boring, and I didn't care for Sean's ramblings at all. I found them hard to follow and that the author was trying too hard to make him sound clever. Sorry, but I was not impressed....................2 big thumbs DOWN!
Kricket
Why did I even finish this? The characters were hateful.
Jeni
Oct 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is a journal by a husband and wife. Not to say they are co-authoring the journal. Actually, the wife, Celeste, discovers her husband's journal and begins her own counter journal, so to speak.

Sean (Celeste's husband) is a stay-at-home-Dad and Celeste is a high fashion something or other. Each of them don't realize that they are just a tad unhappy with how things are going until there is the opportunity for an affair staring them in the face.

Perception is reality. You hear it on TV, you
Shazia
Jan 23, 2016 rated it liked it
This book is about Sean and Celeste, a not-so-happily married couple with a toddler. As far as plot goes, it is a bit lame. As far as characters go, not since Gone Girl have I read a book where the two leads are so unlikable. So why three stars? Each chapter is supposed to be from one or the other's diaries, and the writing and descriptions are hilarious. To extent that you can not think to hard about the plot or Sean or Celeste (actually not that tall an order), you might find yourself gaffawin ...more
patrice
Jun 08, 2012 rated it did not like it
It sux, I read a few entries from each other in the book aka their diaries and it put me to sleep. I cracked up when I read the back of the book that said .."Celeste is surprise to find out the secrets he has been writing". Um what secrets?! That he's a bored writer because he's a stay at home dad, the "secrets" are rather lame and the fact that her therapist said its a good idea for her to keep reading the diary instead of talking to her husband about it, is just stupid. This book is boring and ...more
Lisa
Sep 25, 2008 rated it liked it
This book was ok - set in London, which may have been the downfall for me (I've been reading alot of those lately and I think I need a break from them - LOL). It's about a stay-at-home dad who is a writer and his wife, who has a great job in the fashion industry. They are polar opposites, it's kind of funny. She ends up finding his "diary" on the computer and then starts her own secret diary. He doesn't know that she "found" his diary and has started reading it. I don't want to tell you too much ...more
Michelle
Feb 14, 2008 rated it it was ok
Um, okay, I've not quite encountered two more unlikeable characters than the couple in this book. The book consists of a husband and wife's diaries. Her entries are basically rebuttals to his. Now there are some downright hysterical expressions and metaphors and phrases, so that bumps it up from 1 star. Truly, truly incredibly funny word choices. However, Celeste and Sean were both such miserable people I was wanting them to have affairs. The handling of their son is an afterthought at best and ...more
Katie
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Bad choice. I didn't like this book at all. It was cheesy and predictable, and I felt like the author tried too hard to make the book quirky, funny, and naughty, but it was just plain bad. The characters were undeveloped and inconsistent throughout the book, so it was difficult to relate or feel drawn to any of them. I was disappointed. And I learned my lesson not to stray from Alie's shelf. I hope Slave To Fashion is better, even though I'm reluctant to read anything else by Rebecca Campbell.
Jadine
Jul 21, 2009 rated it did not like it
The story is alternate journal/blog entries of a married couple and I typically like books that show different perspectives. The trouble I had with this book is that I didn't like either character. I read about 4 or 5 entries of both the husband and the wife; found I thought neither were worth carrying on.
Tara
Oct 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
I never quit reading books in the middle no matter how bad, but I just couldn't finish it. The husband and wife are not pleasant people. I didn't care what happened to them. It wasn't gripping at all. I stopped halfway through...
Robyn
Aug 01, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no one
I wanted to like this book, but honestly I found it really kind of boring. It didn't live up to its potential!
Dawn
Feb 11, 2008 rated it liked it
Don't let your spouse find your diary
Regan
Jun 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
I wanted to like this book because I did find parts of it funny but I didn't like certain parts of it and especially the end so I could only give it the one star.
Shari
Jul 23, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: skip-it
Horribly written. So bad I couldn’t finish this book and had to get it out of my sight (and apartment) as soon as possible.
linnea
Apr 04, 2007 rated it it was ok
I loved the concept of dueling diaries from a married couple, but in the end, it let me down.
Jaymie Moore
Jun 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
I got about half way through before I decided I wasn't going to finish reading it. I wouldn't say it was a bad book, it just didn't interest me enough.
Deb
Jul 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2011
Mulitnarrator book. Nothing exciting but it was an easy read, basic chick lit. Sean can be funny at times but Celeste, not so much.
T
Aug 12, 2008 rated it it was ok
I will be posting a review on my blog... keep an eye open...
Michael N
Feb 27, 2016
Baniza
Aug 22, 2016
Gina
Dec 06, 2009
Shannon
rated it did not like it
Oct 23, 2008
  • One True Theory of Love
  • Knocked Up: Confessions of a Hip Mother-to-be
  • We Are All Fine Here
  • The Second Wives Club
  • Inappropriate Men (Red Dress Ink)
  • The Men I Didn't Marry
  • In the Drink
  • Calling Out
  • It's About Your Husband
  • Bed Rest
REBECCA CAMPBELL was educated at the London School of Economics and the London College of Fashion. She and her mother, Paddy Campbell, run a clothing design firm that sells throughout Ireland and the United Kingdom.

There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads data base.
More about Rebecca Campbell...