Start by marking “The Golden Road” as Want to Read:
The Golden Road

The Golden Road

(The Story Girl #2)

The definitive paperback editions of L.M. Montgomery's beloved novels get a brand-new look for the next hundred years!

On a blustery November day the King children and Sara, the Story Girl, come up with a great idea that will help them endure the dreary winter season. They will publish a magazine of their thoughts and adventures. From "Personals" and "Fashion Notes" to an
Published January 9th 2018 by Tundra Books (NY) (first published 1913)

To ask other readers questions about The Golden Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Golden Road

Start your review of The Golden Road
Manybooks
Both deeply melancholy and often uproariously humorous (and always always entertainingly engaging), in the sequel to L.M. Montgomery's The Story Girl, in her The Golden Road, the author's created and presented characters (and in my humble opinion even considerably more so than in The Story Girl) are in many if not most ways living, breathing, individuals whom one would even very much love to meet in real life, to be friends, to share conversations and adventures with (but indeed with some of ...more
kristin
I like the Story Girl, but the theme of The Golden Road is so great. Montgomery called childhood "the golden road", and in this, Bev the grown-up narrator was able to pinpoint the time when they were all just about to leave the golden road. The children only had a small hint at the time that something was about to change, but the adult, looking back, knows.

It's one of those Montgomery books that strikes you while you're reading it as a child, but really reaches you when you read it as an adult.
Elle
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a delightful book, I thought it had a little more depth than the first one, though I couldn't say which one is best, it was maybe a little less cheerful, and I thought it so sad how it ended, just the last words. I really enjoyed reading about the love story of the Awkward Man. I really liked the theme of growing up, and how Beverly says that when we are young, we walk the Golden Road.
Elaina
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I enjoyed this as much as I did the first one :) Very much a light read and not something you have to focus too hard on while reading which can be nice at times...

It's been a month since I read this so I know I procrastinated on writing another review on time lol XD I liked reading more about the characters, but not my favorite L.M. Montgomery book or anything...
Saba (Mybookfortress)
L.M. Montgomery’s writing , has a magic to it that would never fail to affect me deep down from my heart.
Elinor  Loredan
Nov 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, l-m-montgomery
Oh, Maud, your characters live and breathe, beautiful and funny. They stay with me like no others.

Gorgeous descriptions as usual, and I really love all the little stories woven into the children's adventures, which are all both hilarious and poignant. The children bicker a lot, but it's obvious they are all fond of each other. I was touched by Felicity's sorrow at the Story Girl's departure.

I particularly like the love story of the Awkward Man, and the characters Peg Bowen and Uncle Blair.
Katri
Sep 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: l-m-montgomery
The Golden Road is even more episodic than The Story Girl, perhaps, and maybe that's why I took a fairly long time reading it, returning to it every now and then when I felt like this kind of reading. I loved it, nevertheless, the stories that were at times heartwarming, at times wistful or even scary, but always have that combination of life and beauty which is characteristic of Montgomery. There's a bittersweet air of the end of childhood, with the narrator Beverley looking back to those years ...more
Abigail
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers Who Enjoyed 'The Story Girl'
"Once upon a time we all walked on the golden road", begins Montgomery in her foreword, and all those who retain some appreciation for the enchantment of childhood, who can still recall walking the "golden road" themselves, are sure to love this lyrical sequel to The Story Girl . Like its predecessor, it relates the adventures and misadventures of a group of young children on Prince Eward Island, and is by turns poignant and hilarious.

Narrated by Bev King, looking back from his adulthood, The
Francie
I liked The Golden Road better than The Story Girl. It was touching, sweet and funny and had more depth than the first volume.

Beverly was still the least tangible personality of the lot but not as much as before and I rather liked him as a narrator, fondly looking back at his childhood, this time.

Maybe it helped that I was familiar with the characters before and I guess I should reread The Story Girl some time, as I enjoyed reading The Golden Road that much.
ABC
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: older-kids
I was worried sick about poor, sweet Cecily. I skipped to the end because I couldn't stand it---I had to find out what happened to her!

I thought the Peg Bowen character was a nice and creepy touch. At the beginning, I thought it would turn she was really just a good and misunderstand old lady, but Montgomery really made her into a hag of sorts.
Books Kids Like
The King cousins and Peter decide to publish a magazine. Beverly is the editor and everyone else writes a particular section. The magazine features an editorial, a work of fiction, personals, an etiquette and household department, and fashion notes. This endeavor helps them endure the dreary winter months. Other adventures beckon as well. One day, while Uncle Alec and Aunt Janet are away, a woman comes to visit. They assume that she is their Great-Aunt Eliza. Knowing that she is deaf, Dan makes ...more
Rosalba
Feb 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lm-montgomery
It took me a while while reading "The Story Girl", but by now I have fully warmed up to the Kings, who are a lovely bunch, all of them. Each child's distinctive personality comes through beautifully in this book, and they're such fun. I thoroughly enjoyed this story, which is just a long homage to childhood and growing up in PEI. I actually think it's one of the funniest LMM books I've read, the newspaper editions in particular I always looked forward to. Maud Montgomery has done it again, ...more
Ashley
May 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Few books capture the innocence of childhood as do the works of L.M. Montgomery. I loved her books as a little girl, and I love them still now. This one ends bittersweet - childhood innocence giving way to adulthood.
Kathryn
Nov 30, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this sequel better than "The Story Girl."
Cheryl
Jan 29, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh poor Sara Ray. The other children just don't like her... couldn't any of them find a way to advise her to dry up? Calling her "horrid child" when she's just barely out of earshot isn't helpful.

I must say, this is definitely a sequel. If one does not already know the characters from SG it's not going to make a lot of sense. And it's filled with sentimental portraits of nature, Romance, and overblown metaphors... not so many good stories and not nearly enough childish adventures. I have to be
Tirzah Eleora
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Typical fare of L. M. Montgomery-wordy Victorian nonsense. Not the worst book I've read, but not my cup of tea.
Heather
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I got this free from the bookshop I volunteer at, & it wasn't until I looked it up at home that I found out this was book 2. I knew I'd be a lil lost reading this, but since it took place over winter, I wanted to read it this time of year.
Then I found out it's from the same author as Anne of Green Gables, which was pretty cool, because I've been wanting to read those.
When it said this was written for kids in the golden road of youth, i was thinking that's def not me, and wishing I'd known
Mel V
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed The Golden Road quite as much as, if not a bit more than, The Story Girl itself. Once again, the King cousins and their neighboring friends are together on the family farm on Prince Edward Island with adventures and stories to share. Although the children still get up to their adventurous ways, we see a bit of maturity in them as they are preparing to leave the golden road (LMM’s metaphor for childhood). Change is in the air, as the children are growing up. The little clan must learn ...more
Deepika Booksy
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lovely treasury on the reflections of childhood memories... It's really quite hard to say farewell to the characters and the farm and the birch and pine trees, all along the golden road. True to its name, this book focuses less on the story girl and more on their various experiences together, that may seem of little importance to adults, but would mean the world to the "young fry" . I'm glad I read the sequel so close to the the first and it hasn't been disappointing
Carrie ReadingtoKnow
Sighs of satisfaction (and a few tears at coming to the end, again) all around. I tend to read a lot of Montgomery during the month of January by tradition and I enjoyed re-reading The Golden Road again. I am now ready to rewatch Road to Avonlea in full and also take an additional trip to Prince Edward Island.

"Nothing is really lost to us as long as we remember it." (Chapter 27)
Andree
Aug 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
This book is perfectly fine. It's charming at times. The characters are likeable, but I don't know. It's not as good as The Story Girl. The characters aren't particularly well developped for the most part. Well, not all of them. I would say that neither Felix nor Sara Ray are strictly necessary. I just, I wanted more of the relationships between the children. I felt like some of that was lost in the second half of this book. It's again about the same group of eight children as the Story Girl.

In
LobsterQuadrille
The Golden Road is the magical and melancholy sequel to The Story Girl, in which Bev, Dan, Cecily, Sara Ray, Sara Stanley, and Carlisle's other colorful characters return for more misadventures.
L.M. Montgomery's writing is lovely and evocative as usual, though it sometimes crosses over into "purple prose" territory, especially in Blair Stanley's elaborate verbal observations. The characters are lovable as ever(though Felix is quite a flat character and doesn't really do much of anything), the
Tarissa
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, I sooo enjoyed this sequel to "The Story Girl". Both of them together create the most delightful of books.

Now that I've finished reading it, I feel sad to leave my new friends behind. Beverley, Felix, Cecily, Peter, Felicity, Dan, Sara Ray, and, of course, Sara Stanley (better known as the Story Girl). Such charming friends that I won't soon be forgetting. Oh, and Patrick Grayfur too, for a good cat mustn't be forgotten either.

Their antics kept me laughing, and their paltry tragedies molded
crystal lawrenz

Some say,
I say it just,
Begins to live,
That day. E. Dickenson.
L.M. Montgomery certainly seemed to live by that poem, because when you read her words you yourself are transported to her world. She writes and it's like your going home, but as if you haven't been there in a while and you are ecstatic at seeing your old haunts again. You feel in her writing the joy of youth,the pain of loss, the expectation of the future. You look at the future without
Stacey (bookishpursuit)
3.5-3.75

The story of a group of cousins, a couple of whom's parents left them with their Aunts and Uncles to be raised, experience life together on TGR. Like real life, there are adventures and tragedies, conflicts and resolutions, imagination and reality, beginnings and conclusions. The lives of the cousins are interwoven, but each has a distinct and individual voice. For most of the book I wasn't conscious that I was reading a children's story; in my opinion its the mark of a good storyteller
LemonLinda
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This second of the Story Girl series was just as delightful as the first. Again, we visit with the King cousins and friends and share in their many adventures and stories. This year they decide to publish a family newspaper complete with editorials, an etiquette column, a household hints column, a fashion column, a personals column, a fiction and poetry page, and a section for exciting adventures. And the paper is just as much fun as the rest of the story all filled with a lively imagination and ...more
Meg
Nov 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
I'm so glad that I read this book. I loved the Story Girl however I was a little disappointed when it ended; I felt there was more to tell. So when I read this book I was much relieved. Of course there were more stories to tell! You can't read the Story Girl without reading this book and vice versa.

This book made me reflect on my own childhood and all the good times I had exploring the woods and building forts. It actually gave me more drive to create lasting memories with my children. It's such
Theresa
Even lovelier than the first. And more sad. L.M.Montgomery is very good at making things sweet and sad.

The crazy witch in the woods cracked me up at every turn. All of her predictions came true.

I truly don't think Felicity deserves Peter but he loves her so if in the end he gets her, I guess I want him to have her. Poor sad Cecily. All of it was too much.

I felt like young child all over again reading these two books. I could read them over and over.
Erin Cox
Jul 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to add the disclaimer that this novel falls into a select number of books I've never finished... not because I didn't love them, but because I donn't want them ever to be over.

my mom thinks it strange and slightly unhealthy, so you wouldn't be alone in that opinion, should you be so inclined:)
Trine
Jul 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice sequel or should I say continuation to The Story Girl. Perhaps a bit more about the childrens' lives and less stories than the first book, but I liked that. I would have liked to know a bit more their future lives, but perhaps that would just have ruined the atmosphere of the Golden Road of Youth.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Mysterious Key and What It Opened
  • An Old-Fashioned Girl
  • House of Dreams: The Life of L. M. Montgomery
  • Rose in Bloom (Eight Cousins, #2)
  • Dangerous Alliance: An Austentacious Romance
  • Men of Iron
  • Pypcie na języku
  • The Light Princess
  • A Slip of a Girl
  • The American Frugal Housewife: Dedicated to Those Who Are Not Ashamed of Economy
  • The Alpine Vengeance (Emma Lord, #22)
  • The House of Arden (House of Arden, #1)
  • Alice + Freda Forever: A Murder in Memphis
  • Hiroshima Notes
  • El libro de la vida
  • The Elements of Botany, First Books of Natural History
  • Evening in Spring
  • Experiments in Plant Hybridisation (Revised)
Lucy Maud Montgomery was a Canadian author, best known for a series of novels beginning with Anne of Green Gables, published in 1908.

The author of the famous Canadian novel Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery, was born at Clifton, Prince Edward Island, Nov. 30, 1874. She came to live at Leaskdale, north of Uxbridge Ontario, in 1911 after her wedding with Rev. Ewen Macdonald on July 11, 1911

The Story Girl (2 books)
  • The Story Girl (The Story Girl, #1)
“Once upon a time we all walked on the golden road. It was a fair highway, through the Land of Lost Delight; shadow and sunshine were blessedly mingled, and every turn and dip revealed a fresh charm and a new loveliness to eager hearts and unspoiled eyes.

On that road we heard the song of morning stars; we drank in fragrances aerial and sweet as a May mist; we were rich in gossamer fancies and iris hopes; our hearts sought and found the boon of dreams; the years waited beyond and they were very fair; life was a rose-lipped comrade with purple flowers dripping from her fingers.

We may long have left the golden road behind, but its memories are the dearest of our eternal possessions; and those who cherish them as such may haply find a pleasure in the pages of this book, whose people are pilgrims on the golden road of youth.”
4 likes
“There's something very solemn about the idea of a new year, isn't there? Just think of three hundred and sixty-five whole days with not a thing happened in them yet.” 1 likes