Start by marking “The Pink Umbrella” as Want to Read:
The Pink Umbrella

The Pink Umbrella

Perfect for fans of Amelie, this is a charming story about the power of friendship, love and pink polka dots to turn rainy days into sunny ones and sadness into joy.

When it's bright outside, Adele is the heart of her community, greeting everyone who comes into her cafe with arms wide open. But when it rains, she can't help but stay at home inside, under the covers. Because A
Published January 2nd 2018 by Tundra Books (NY)

To ask other readers questions about The Pink Umbrella, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pink Umbrella

Mir
Oct 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
Cute illustrations and story.
I think as a kid I would've been kind of bored by it. There's a nice lady who likes pink and owns a cafe. She gets depressed when it rains. The grocer clearly has a crush on her but nothing explicitly romantic happens or is mentioned. Maybe smaller kids would feel some suspense about who gave her the presents, I dunno.
Carla Johnson-Hicks
The Pink Umbrella is a beautiful story about a woman named Adele. She runs the cafe in a small village. She is the sun in the village, which is appropriate because she does not like it when it rains. Sometimes, she does not even get out of bed on dismal, gray, rainy days. One day someone leaves her pink boots, then a pink raincoat and finally a pink umbrella to help her deal with the rainy days. The illustrations are wonderfully done, almost like a water wash with muted tones and shades of pink ...more
Laura Harrison
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
A perfect children's picture book. The art. The writing. Simply could not be better. Originally released in France, it is wonderful that The Pink Umbrella has been reissued for an American audience. Love it!
Jennifer B.
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sweet and pink with lovely, chalky illustrations.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cybils
Adele and her cafe are the soul of her community. Everyone comes to her cafe to eat and talk and share when the weather is good. But when the weather is bad Adele doesn't open up her cafe and the community can't eat and talk and share.

Something needs to change.

And it all starts with a pair of pink boots....

A delightful story of community and caring, with charming illustrations and friendly characters.
Scottsdale Public Library
Such a soft and enchanting story about blossoming friendship and overcoming obstacles. The lovely illustrations help draw you into the story, eliciting a myriad of emotions. Truly a beautiful read! - Jennifer K.
Laura (Book Scrounger)
The Pink Umbrella, originally published in French, is a tender story about a woman named Adele who manages a cafe, and loves the sunny weather. But when it rains, she has a hard time coping.

But then someone begins leaving her gifts to help protect her in the rainy weather, and she wonders who it could be...

The illustrations here are just perfect -- there's a lot of pink of course, but it doesn't feel overdone because the tones are so soft and beautiful. The story has just the right touch of ro
Melki
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidstuff, girly-stuff
Adele is a busy young woman. She runs a cafe in a quaint seaside town where the villagers love to meet and mingle. Adele is always upbeat and cheerful . . . except when it rains. Is there anything that can make her learn to love the wet weather?

Charming as this book is, it wouldn't be the same without Geneviève Godbout's gorgeous illustrations.

description

There's such a wonderful, nostalgic, and European feel to this one! It does make me want to pull on my Wellies and go for a walk in the rain.
Nidhi Chanani
Nov 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Illustrations are a 5
Vera Godley
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This lovely book was originally published in French in 2016 in Canada.

This is an absolutely beautiful book. The story is beautiful and well written with text that simply flows with an enthralling story-telling style. The illustrations are very well done and capture the essence of the story and the mood of the main character, Adele.

The story of Adele and her lovely cafe that is a charming community gathering place speaks to small town or village living and the kindness and gracious f
Kris - My Novelesque Life
RATING: 4 STARS
(Review Not on Blog)

This is a hard book to rate as I am not sure what age group this move is aiming for exactly. For kids, I am pretty sure only a few kids would be interested in the story. If you find you kid enthralled with Amelie this is the book for them. For adults, women in particular, I would rate this book four stars as I love the cute rom-com story and the gorgeous pictures. If you love Amelie or Chocolat take a short journey with Pink Umbrella.
Critterbee❇
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
'...and Adele is the heart of the cafe. She is the village's sun - lively, sweet and sparkling"

The engaging, lyrical story of Adele, the village's sun, and her dislike of rain. The paintings in this book are gorgeous, and are unique in the ocean of illustrations being published in children's books today.

The story is sweet and romantic, the illustrations soft and lovely, I really loved this book.

This would be a great gift book, one that would be cherished for y
Erin
What a lovely, lovely book. The illustrations are just beautiful, with soft lines and vibrant colors and the story is sweet and heartwarming.
I received a copy from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Afoma Umesi
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful story about love, community and the importance of perspective. Such beautiful, Parisian illustrations. Highly recommended especially for older kids and adults! You’ll love this lovely book.
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet little picture book about a woman, Adele, who runs a cafe in a small seaside town. She loves to go out and wander down to the beach when the weather is pleasant, but takes to her bed when the day is gray and dark and raining.

Lucas, the grocer brings her flowers and groceries twice a week.

On several days, when, surprise, Lucas has been there, Adele discovers first rain boots, then a rain coat and then an umbrella that have been left behind, but which suit h
Tina
I love the refreshing story and the gorgeous illustrations. Feels like Audrey Hepburn could've starred in a movie short of this book! (A little bit of Coraline in movie format creeps in the illustrated faces, though, making it a little more scrumptious to me!)
Mary
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautiful illustrations. A short, sweet story about a small village, and the cafe (and young woman) at the heart of the community.
Brenda Wychock
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A lovely story.Amazing illustrations.
Shannon Dunn
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Perfect. 💕
Meaghan Steeves
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was just delightful- I loved all the pink! I'm really looking forward to reading all of Callot's books in the future.
Heidi Burkhart
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m not sure of the target age group for this sweet picture book. Translated from the French. I’m hoping it is in line for the Bachelder Award!
Lori
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
How pink gifts and friendship help Adele overcome her dismal dislike of the rain.
Joanne
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
A lovely story with sweet illustrations about love, friendship, community, and learning to find your own happiness in the gloom and the rain. There is always beauty in life worth celebrating if we know where to look. Being from the Seattle area where it rains half of the year I have quite the collection of cheerful umbrellas! And all of my coats have hoods :)
Ms. Yingling
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Library copy.

Very sweet message, and the pictures reminded me of the 1960s illustrations in the books of my youth. (Something about the black circles for eyes.) It seemed a bit more romantic than the average 3-7 year old picture book reader would appreciate, but parents will love it.
Wayne McCoy
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, favorites
'The Pink Umbrella' by Aemlie Callot with illustrations by Genevieve Godbout drew me in with a delightful cover, and the winsome story inside made me smile.

Adele owns a cafe in a small community. It is open to everyone and also serves as a part time market, run by her friend Lucas, and cinema. When it's sunny out, Adele likes to sneak out and takes walks by the seaside, but when it rains, she just wants to stay inside and the weather really affects her mood. One day, after the market
BrocheAroe
Debbie Smith
Dec 24, 2017 rated it liked it
The Pink Umbrella, originally published in French, is about a woman named Adele who runs the little café that stands in the midst of a group of houses overlooking the ocean. The coast is rugged, the land gentle and covered with tall grasses blown flat by the sea air. Other than the people of the village, there is very little there. So the café is a gathering place where people laugh, cry, yell, argue and love. It has become the heart of the village. The residents have grown to love Adele and her ...more
Arwen
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A super sweat story with lovely illustrations about Adele a cafe owner in a small village. I would hang some of these pages on my walls if I could. Not only are the illustrations beautiful they are very emotive. The story is one of love and caring and helping others overcome the unpleasant things in their lives. There is a subtle romance in the book, one that is charming and true. The kind of romance between two friend you might find in real life. A romance that might go unnoticed by the younges ...more
Venessa
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Immediately after reading THE PINK UMBRELLA by Amelia Callot, I added it to my school library order. The cover art (by Geneviève Godbout) is what initially drew my attention and the artwork throughout the book are just as stunning. The story itself is lovely. The café that Adele run is the center of life for a small coastal village. Other than the villagers and her café, Adele loves nothing more than the sunshine. When it rains, however, Adele wants to stay in bed under her quilt. That is until ...more
Kathy
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
A purely delightful story of Adele and her Polka-Dot Apron Cafe. If Adele is the heart of the village her cafe is the meeting place. Open seven days a week, the cafe serves as cinema, market and meeting hall as well as dispensing food. Adele adores the sunshine and it is easy to see that Lucas, who brings the flowers for the cafe, adores her.
But the rain makes Adele so glum, she even closes the cafe.
Pink boots, that mysteriously appear, and that fit Adele perfectly plus a pink raincoat an
« previous 1 3 next »

• Stay: A Girl, a Dog, a Bucket List
  • This Story Is for You
  • Mustache Baby Meets His Match
  • The Dinosaur Expert
  • I Walk with Vanessa: A Story about a Simple Act of Kindness
  • There's a Wolf at the Door
  • Adrian Simcox Does NOT Have a Horse
  • Ellie's Lovely Idea (The Critter Club, #6)
  • Found Things
  • The Little Red Fort
  • If You Hold a Seed
  • Home in the Rain
  • Be a Star, Wonder Woman!
  • All Are Welcome
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • Brave
  • Glasses: Who Needs 'Em?
  • The Octopuppy