Start by marking “Wolfie and Fly: Band on the Run” as Want to Read:
Wolfie and Fly: Band on the Run

Wolfie and Fly: Band on the Run

A classic story of imagination, friendship, rock bands and high-speed helicopter chases. For fans of Ivy & Bean, Judy Moody or Nate the Great.

Everyone's favorite odd couple is back. Our heroine, Renata Wolfman (Wolfie) does everything by herself. Friends just get in the way, and she only has time for facts and reading. But friendship finds her in the form of Livingston Flott
Published January 9th 2018 by Tundra Books (NY)

To ask other readers questions about Wolfie and Fly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wolfie and Fly

Schizanthus
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Renata Wolfman (AKA Wolfie) is an introvert loner nerd and I adored her! She doesn’t do extra classes like pottery or drama, and detests pink and dressing up, but loves reading about helicopters, alone time and her ‘uniform’ of a white t-shirt, overalls and sneakers. She’s snarky and spends a fair amount of her time (when she’s not involved in something she’s passionate about) underwhelmed.

Wolfie’s next-door neighbour Fly (a much better name than the one his parents gave him - Living
Brittany
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Renata Wolfman (Wolfie) is my kind of girl. She hates pink, she is a nerd, and she's stubborn. The school talent show is coming up and her parents are worried about her lack of participation, until she teams up
with her neighbor, Fly.

It's a cute, fast tale about finding your place in the world, being brave and embracing your authentic self.
Mehsi
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

This could have been better without the magical element that is never explained. And it seems it happened before. I get imagination, but this is something beyond that (given the drumsticks that make a reappearance later). I just didn’t think it fit the story that well. Which is a shame as the rest of the story was pretty great.

I loved our down-to-earth Wolfie, or Renata. How she looked at everything witho
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Yay! Wolfie and Fly are back for another adventure.

Wolfie wants to read her books. Fly doesn't want her to. He wants to practice for the talent show, and he won't take no for an answer. And once again, as in the first book, when Wolfie hangs out with Fly, weird things happen. This time, their practice for the talent show gets very real, before a live audience, with news stations, and helicopters, and all sorts of fun.

It's nice, that in this second book, it isn't so much t
Wayne McCoy
Jan 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
'Wolfie and Fly: Band on the Run' by Cary Fagan with illustrations by Zoe Si is another chapter book adventure with two strange friends with wild imaginations.

Renata "Wolfie" Wolfman is ordered to join the school talent contest. She has no interest, but decides to try to take up dance. She doesn't have the patience, so when her friend Livingston "Fly" Flott shows up at her doorstep with a song he wrote and a plastic guitar, she decides that being in a band with him, while still not a
Linda Lipko
This is a very cute story about a girl who is happy with her introversion. While her parents try to push extracurricular activities, Renata is more happier when she is alone reading a book.

Livingston Flott (Fly) is a neighborhood friend who pushes himself on renata, Encouraging her to join him in the school talent show, When Renata does not answer the door, he finds an open window and shoves himself into the Living room. With his plastic guitar strapped to his side, he convinces Rena
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
You can't help but love a girl who avoids all her parents' efforts to socialize her. Equally intriguing is a boy who does everything in his power to befriend such a social butterfly.

Meet Wolfie and Fly.

This episode has Fly attempting to talk Wolfie into joining his band for the school talent show. Fly does a lot of avoiding while Wolfie does a lot of persuading. Mix in a bit of wild flight of imagination and a spark of growing friendship and you have this delightful small chapter bo
Joshua Whiting
Renata Wolfman has no friends, and she likes it that way. There was that one weird time when her next door neighbor, Fly, came over to her house and they went on an actual undersea adventure in her cardboard box submarine, but that’s in the past and things are thankfully back to normal. Renata even has the house all to herself for the afternoon until Fly climbs through her window (she won’t open the door) and asks her to help him figure out what is wrong with a song he made up to sing in the sch ...more
RobinLeigh Morgan
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-own-books
I received a hardcover copy of this from the author’s publisher through a recent giveaway on LibraryThing and the following is my honest opinion.

Anytime I review a children’s book I can’t read it alone, I’ve got to allow my inner-child to have the fun reading it. The storyline shows that opposites are seemingly attracted to each, which is something we know as it happens in our relationships.

In “Wolfie & Fly – Band on the Run” our young girl protagonist is Renata Wolfman [Wolfie]
Em
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-books
Wolfie and Fly are back, and true to form are heading into their next great adventure. “I like being in my shell”, Wolfie proclaims as her mom and dad try to convince her to perform in her school’s annual talent show. Little does she know, her next-door neighbour, Fly, aka Livingston Flott, has other plans for her; plans that don’t include Wolfie hanging out at home alone all the time!

Author, Cary Fagan delivers yet another delightful young reader’s chapter book filled with adventure, friendship, and imagin
Katya Vinogradova
I received a digital copy of this book from Penguin Random House Canada via NetGalley.

What a lovely early chapter book full of fun adventures! It will teach young readers about the importance of friendship, no matter how reluctant you are to make new friends; about having the courage to be yourself and follow your dreams, no matter how scared you might be; and about running away from hordes of screaming fans.
This is the second book of a, hopefully, long series.
Jaclyn
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
This is a good chapter book for readers who are just beginning to read chapter books or working on building fluency. Wolfie would prefer to be left alone to do her own thing, but her neighbor Fly really helps bring her out of her shell. The two of them accidentally form a band and realize that would be a great act for their school talent show. A little confusing when they are suddenly playing a concert to a sold out arena, but overall, cute story.
Mindy
The second in the series is just as great and adorable as the first. It's a great choice for readers who are just advancing beyond picture books. The artwork is great. I love the allusions to imagination but how Wolfie refuses to admit that she enjoys It. Overall, again, adorable and definitely a good series that kids and their parents can enjoy.

I would like to thank the publisher, author, and Netgalley for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Elizabeth Moreau Nicolai
Wolfie doesn't like using her imagination or other kids or group activities. But Fly (who knows he is Wolfie's friend) keeps getting her into adventures. They perform in a band for a living of stuffed animals and then it is a concert hall full of people. Amazing things happen. And most amazingly of all, they might be friends....
I love this one. So cute. And can not wait to recommend it to kids who are beginning chapter book readers.
Kest Schwartzman
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
*received as part of librarything's ARC program*

this book is... surprisingly cute. Like, it checked all the boxes for Things I Don't Like In A Kid's Book but it checked them all so earnestly that I can't help but like it, anyway
Mireille Messier
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh Wolfie! How I adore you!
A fun, fast-paced story true to the characters established in the first book. Great illustrations, easy read with a strong female protagonist and some fun laugh out loud moments.
Katie
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I won this book free from Library Thing. I had never heard of this series before, but it turned out pretty cute. My 7 year old said she liked it just alright, but I thought the characters were fun and I liked their imagination. I will look for more by this author.
Chris
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Once again, solitary Wolfie lets exuberant Fly convince her to use her imagination to discover a world of adventure. Endearing and fun.
Rachel
Such great characters and a fun context with extended imagination to make things real.
Melissa
May 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Love the imagination.
Jj
Love it! I am going to hire Wolfie & Fly to play my next big party. They are awesome.
Olivia A.
Aug 11, 2019
Chickie Chip
Jan 13, 2018
Stef
Jan 24, 2019
Amber Webb
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wolfie and Fly by Cary Fagan is a book that I hope will soon become a series. It was a quick, easy read about a child who struggled to find her niche and her parents were always bothering her about it. Wolfie is a child who would much rather sit at home in the comfort of her quiet room than spend time with other children, so she thinks. Enter Fly, her over exuberant, bound and determined neighbor who is certain he is going to convince her to be his friend and perform in the talent show. In the q ...more
Mark Meiss
Sam
Dec 18, 2017
Erin
Apr 25, 2018
Cary is an award-winning author for children. His kids' books include the popular Kaspar Snit novels, the two-volume Master Melville's Medicine Show, and the picture book Mr. Zinger's Hat, winner of the Marilyn Baillie Picture Book Award and the IODE Jean Throop Award. He has also won the Jewish Book Award and been shortlisted for the Silver Birch Award (five times), the Rocky Mountain Book Award ...more