Start by marking “Tilly and Tank” as Want to Read:

Tilly and Tank

A sweet and funny picture book that looks at the blossoming friendship between an elephant and a tank and encourages kids to make friends, not war.

Tilly the elephant is taking her morning stroll when she notices something strange on the horizon. Is it another elephant? The newcomer has a trunk and tail, but he's a very curious shade of green. Tank, on the other hand, notic
Published January 9th 2018 by Tundra Books (NY)

To ask other readers questions about Tilly and Tank, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tilly and Tank

[Shai] Bibliophage
This children's storybook is oozing with cuteness from the illustrations up to the characters. The charming story is also quite appealing that young kids will definitely adore. And it teaches them that despite the differences of people, it will not be a hindrance to be friends with one another. Another subliminal lesson of this book is that the solution to war or conflict is peace and love, which how Tilly demonstrated when Tank was being hostile.
Beth
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I loved the retro feel of the illustrations and the general message of overcoming misunderstandings and promoting peaceful friendships, but something is just off in this picture book.
Stacy
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Gender stereotypes and violence. Although the illustrations were cute, this was not my cup of tea. There could be a better representation of the make love not war theme.
Storywraps
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a sweet tale about Tilly the elephant. One day she is out taking her morning stroll when she happens to spot something unusual in the distance. She carefully studies the silhouette and concludes by its shape that it must be another elephant. It certainly looks like it has a trunk and a tail just like her but it is army green instead of blue like her.

Happily Tilly approaches the stranger and the alien's alarm sounds, 'WEE-OOO!WEE-OO! WEE-OO!" Unafraid of the loud noise Tilly walks closer
Jessica McAllister
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
3.5 This was an adorable read about how first impressions can sometimes be mistakes and how friendship can blossom between two very different things, in this case a tank and an elephant, if you just let a little kindness in and never give up trying to make new friends and finding common ground. Overall, its a good message for kids to hear

I received this ARC via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Nikki "The Crazie Betty" V.
A cute little children’s book that teaches kids not to judge others by how they look. Tilly the elephant and Tank the tank meet in the jungle, and after some initial fear, find they have more in common than not.

Received via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Donna Maguire
This is a really nice book that encourages you to make friends not war - it is a great children's book and sadly it is a book that quite a few grown ups in senior government roles could do with reading!
Wayne McCoy
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
'Tilly and Tank' by Jay Fleck is a picture book about a most unusual friendship between an elephant and a military tank. The book teaches lessons about pursuing friendship and peace.

One morning, Tilly is out taking her walk when she sees a shape in the distance that kind of looks like another elephant. She wants to meet it. Meanwhile, Tank sees a tank shaped object in the distance and feels threatened. Tank reacts with noise and explosions. Is this any way to start a friendship?

I'll be honest an
Ryan
Jan 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
I officially hate this book. Yes I actually hate this book. It's about an elephant who tries to make friends with a tank. The tank responds by firing. I don’t care that at the end they become friends. The tank shot at the elephant. I realize this is supposed to be an allegory about finding common ground, or knowing who your friends are, but to this reader all I see is war mongering. Shooting before knowledge. We have enough of that in our world today that I do NOT need it in a children’s book. A ...more
Jeni
Feb 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, picture-books
There was lots of buzz about this book, so I was excited to get my hands on it. It's cute. The illustrations are wonderful. I want the end papers as wallpaper in my house. The "message" of the book was a little obvious and overbearing. Kids can handle subtlety. This lacked it.
KC
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I like the illustrations but the story is dumb.
Jessica Brown
A very cute story about friendship-what may appear to be an enemy may just be a misunderstanding.
Maggie Mattmiller
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
I think I get where the author was trying to go with this one, but I don't love the execution. There were a few elements I disliked about this one. Illustrations were cute though.
Beth
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
The illustrations are adorable and the overall message of not assuming all unknown creatures are the enemy is a good message. The story is about an elephant that encounters a tank and wants to make friends but the tank is afraid and keeps assuming the elephant is an enemy. My objection to the book is that the tank twice tries to kill the elephant by shooting at it, even when the elephant is trying to bring the tank a bouquet of flowers. Luckily, even at extremely close range, the tank misses bot ...more
Ms Threlkeld
Mar 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
"What a strange looking elephant!," thinks Tilly upon seeing a tank. "What an odd looking tank!," thinks Tank upon seeing Tilly. Both creatures approach one another in completely different ways, making assumptions about each other that lead to dangerous results. Can they be friends or are they supposed to be enemies? This is a thoughtful story about the harmful effects of judging others based on appearance. As a read aloud, this book could generate interesting discussions among students.
Stacie
Apr 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kids-books
I don’t get it. Why would an elephant 🐘 develop a relationship with a military tank?
Kristina Jean Lareau
Tilly and Tank is a sweet friendship story. The war setting with Tank and the contrast with the pastoral settings leaves a lot to unpack. A great picturebook.
Meredith
Jul 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Tilly sees another elephant, who is a potential friend, when she meets a tank. But Tank sees another tank, who is an enemy, when he looks at Tilly. After much misunderstanding, Tank finally recognizes Tilly as someone with peaceful intentions, and they are finally able to bridge the cultural gap between them. The illustrations are very cute, done in muted earth tones. I love how the depictions of Tilly and Tank mirror each other.

There is a surprising depth to this story. On the surface this is
Jana
This is a picture book with a nice message for young readers about being persistent to reach out and become a friend to someone who needs it. Tilly is walking along when she spies a strange looking elephant. It turns out that this strange elephant is actually a tank that misinterprets Tilly’s attempts to be friendly as enemy threats. Even though the gun blasts frighten her, she persists in trying to let Tank know that she just wants to be friends. I’m a little bit bothered, though, about the nat ...more
The Loopy Librarian
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Tilly and Tank is a lovely little story about learning to be friends. The illustrations are adorable. I especially like that Tank has a bird on his head and is not vilified for being a tank. I come from a military family. In fact, my son drives tanks as a Combat Engineer, so I was afraid at first that this book might be negative towards the military. But it wasn't that way at all. The message is a simple "Make friends, not war" which is a message I can appreciate. When Tank understands that Till ...more
Shayna R.
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I feel rather conflicted about this book. I thought it was really cute with great illustrations, and I liked the message about not judging by first appearances. Yet, I feel a bit bothered by the fact that the author used a tank in a children's book. I know there isn't anything wrong with it in one sense, but there was something that felt more like a loss of innocence to feature an army vehicle so heavily as a cute plot device. If it was anything other than a tank, I would have loved this book fo ...more
Cat
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a good informative book on bees, bugs and insects for kids 4th grade up. The book is primarily about beneficial insects and how to attract them to your yard/garden. It even had directions for building welcoming homes for various critters! It had directions on feeding the , too. I liked the section on snails and slugs and how they are useful to gardens. Who know?! Nice addition to a children's science collection.
I received a free Kindle copy of this book in exchange for a fair review fr
Ann Santori
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I don't really understand the negative criticism of this book. It's not my favorite book of all time, but it's sweet and the illustrations are lovely -- with a retro '60s/'70s feel. The message is subtle enough that it doesn't feel prescriptive but remains clear and the violence of Tank's reaction to new/different people is exactly the point . . . it provides the point of departure for the character's growth arc. Good for a 'celebrating difference' story time, a 'making friends' story time, or e ...more
Katya Vinogradova
I received a digital copy of this book from Penguin Random House Canada via NetGalley.

This is a sweet story about two unlikely friends - an elephant and a tank that's shaped like an elephant. I never thought about this physical similarity, but I can't look at a tank without picturing an elephant.
The illustrations are quite simple but charming and colorful. The writing lacks a little something to elevate this book from a good read to a great one.
Alicia Evans
The book was cute, but it was also a little troublesome with both how quickly the tank was to be violent and how the elephant repeated went back for more. The concept is there—it just didn’t seem to follow through as well as it could have.

For: fans of elephants or tanks; encouraging the love not war theme (though be prepared to do a lot of the talking)

Possible red flags: minor violence and character peril
Little Crooked Cottage
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
At first, Tilly thinks Tank is an elephant. Tank thinks Tilly is a tank. After a series of BOOM-ing encounters, the two embark on a blooming friendship.

We LOVE Jay Fleck's artwork (and elephants!) so this was a no-brainer — plus, the themes of peace and friendship here are universal and timely. It's a sweet, gentle, funny story with a lovely lesson: Sometimes our enemies are merely friendships waiting to blossom.
Vannessa Anderson
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youth-children
Tilly and Tank was a new take on friendship. I liked how author Fleck demonstrated how we can be different but the same in many ways and how we should not allow the differences keep us from getting to know one another. The illustrations did a very good job in helping to tell the story.
Poongothai
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
A cute book that tells that do not judge others by how they look. It is also about making friends instead of creating war. Tilly thinks Tank is an elephant and Tank thinks Tilly is a Tank and after a series of situations, they realize what the other is and becomes friends. Pictures are bright and colourful.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher
Chance Hansen
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
(Once I own a copy the review will be more fleshed out.)
I'm not kidding I think this just might be one of my favorite picture books of this year. The shock value in this story made me burst in surprised laughter. This book threw me for a loop. The first time going threw it I couldn't believe what I was reading.

The art is adorable
Jj
Sep 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
Creepy, probably moreso because the illustrations are indeed quite cute. I see what it's trying to do, but I don't like how it tries to get its message across. Firing tanks at elephants is just too close to real life to be cute or hyperbole to me. Weird violence and stereotypes here, and it all rubs me the wrong way.
« previous 1 3 next »
Jay Fleck’s artwork has been featured everywhere from the Gap to the front page of Society6.com. Double Take is his picture-book debut. Jay Fleck lives with his family south of Chicago.