Start by marking “The Wicked Redhead (The Wicked City #2)” as Want to Read:
The Wicked Redhead (The Wicked City #2)

The Wicked Redhead

(The Wicked City #2)

The dazzling narrator of The Wicked City brings her mesmerizing voice and indomitable spirit to another Jazz Age tale of rumrunners, double crosses, and true love, spanning the Eastern seaboard from Florida to Long Island to Halifax, Nova Scotia.

1924. Ginger Kelly wakes up in tranquil Cocoa Beach, Florida, having fled south to safety in the company of disgraced Prohibition
Published December 10th 2019 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Wicked Redhead, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Gracie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Deborah Yes, as well as characters from several of the author's other books.

Start your review of The Wicked Redhead (The Wicked City #2)
Julie
3.5 stars- Assigned- Good, but not great. Be sure to read the first book- The Wicked City- before starting this one.
Kate Quinn
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gin Kelly's voice is just delightful. I'm glad there'll be a third book concluding her adventures.
Berit☀️✨
Beatrix Williams has spun an entertaining story. This is the second book in the wicked City series. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, however I do think not having read the first book detracted from my enjoyment a little. I had a hard time getting into the story and I think thats because I did not know the characters background. I love feisty female characters, I love books that take place in the 20s, and I love books set in multiple time periods. This book had all three and more. The book starts ...more
Literary Soirée
I love historical fiction and the author is considered masterful at this genre. However, I just couldnt get into THE WICKED REDHEAD, the sequel to THE WICKED CITY, which I havent read. Maybe its because I didnt like main character Gin Kelly, described as a floozy in love with a disgraced Prohibition agent in 1924. The dual timeline narrative in 1998 with Ella Dommerich, who lives in the Greenwich Village apartment once occupied by Gin, also didnt compel me. Other reviewers who have read all of ...more
ABookwormWithWine
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ / 5

I WANT MORE GINGER!! I don't know what it was about this one, but I loved The Wicked Redhead by Beatriz Williams way more than The Wicked City. Something about the ending maybe? Or maybe it's just because the more I read about Ginger Kelly the more I feel like I know her and want to know what happened to her, Ella's story be damned.

Okay that was probably a bit harsh, but my favorite storyline is definitely Gin's and I just adore her wit and her spunk, and her love affair with Oliver
Alayne Emmett
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Its a shame I enjoyed the first one in this setting but, this one was a little bit slow and boring which is such a shame. It continues straight on after the first one. It just didnt rock my boat not sure if Ill bother with the third one when it comes out. ...more
♥ Sandi ❣
3 stars

After loving Summer Wives by Beatriz Williams I had hoped to enjoy this book just as much. I did not. Not that this book isn't good, but that is it - only good - not great like Summer Wives. I can't really pinpoint why this book did not work for me as well as Summer Wives, it just didn't.

Alternating chapters (which I am getting pretty tired of!) between two women, one from 1924 and one from 1998. They are connected by the apartment in which they both lived and Ella, from 1998, begins a
Literary Soirée
Tammy
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: release-2019
Although I havent read the first book, I highly enjoyed this second novel in the Wicked City series. The Wicked Redhead has dual timelines set in 1998, and the latter going back to 1924 during the jazz and prohibition era with characters Ginger (Gin) Kelly.. shes a smart, saucy redhead thats quite scandalous in her day, and girl-next-door Ella that finds a vintage (nude) photograph of a beautiful mysterious redhead.
Entertaining, intriguing and overflowing with mystery, danger and fiery hot
Olive
Dec 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: olr-reviews
Review originally appeared on Open Letters Review.

Hot, and on the heels of 2017's The Wicked City, the next installment in the series from the prolific Beatriz Williams gives readers a hearty dose of Gin Kelly. Picking up nearly exactly where the first book left off, The Wicked Redhead once again splits the story between two leading ladies and would-be roommates, if only they weren't separated by time.

In 1998, Ella Dommerich seeks sanctuary from a cheating husband in a Greenwich Village
Nursebookie
A beautiful story told in two timelines which picked up from the first book, The Wicked City. I feel that reading the first book first would thoroughly give the reader a better understanding of the amazing characters that Beatriz Williams have created.

Though I did not read the first book, I still thoroughly enjoyed this beautiful story told from 1924 during the Jazz Age and Prohibition Era, and how it connects to 1998 with Ella Dommerich in Greenwhich Village.

Ginger Kelly is an awesome
Toni
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-2019
The Redhead from 'The Wicked City' (#1 Wicked Series), Geneva Ginger Kelly, better know as Gin to her closer friends, returns to the pages of The Wicked Redhead in book two of Beatriz Williams Wicked City series. Let me be the first to tell ya, these pages are smokin.

We first encounter Ginger escaping from her stepfather Duke Kelly, back in River Junction, Maryland; who it seems she and the Marshall boys, Billy and Anson (lots more about them later), had just killed and put a large dent in his
Tammy
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining, intriguing and overflowing with mystery, danger and fiery hot
Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)
Things pick up where they left off in The Wicked City. Oliver and Ginger are hiding out in Cocoa Beach with the Fitzwilliams and the year is 1924. If you read Cocoa Beach, you are familiar with these characters. Oliver and Ginger are escaping the horrible fight they had with notorious bootleggers, including her wretched stepfather, Duke Kelly. Oliver leaves Ginger behind to go pursue some business and requests that she wait for him in Florida. Gin isn't someone who waits around and when Oliver's ...more
Christine Moore
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edelweiss
The Wicked Redhead picks right up where The Wicked City left us. I absolutely love Gin Kelly and can not wait for more of her story. I loved catching up with Ella and Hector and can't wait to see what is next for them. I loved how so many of the past characters of Beatriz Williams's books are making appearances. I loved The Wicked Redhead and can not wait for more of both Gin's and Ella's story. I received an advanced readers copy and all opinions are my own.
Lynn
I am a huge fan of Beatriz Williams, but this book was a bit of a disappointment. I read Wicked City a while ago, and supposedly this one picks up where that one left off. I still felt like some back story was missing, especially for Gin. I felt like we never got the full story of what happened that set Gin and Oliver in the run, unless it is fully explained in Wicked City and I just forgot. I always felt like I was behind the curve on this book. I also didnt really like Gin. She was almost a ...more
Aura
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: prohibition, new-york
The second part of the Wicked City, Gin Kelly is in love with Agent Anson. She survives all the goings on from book 1 but life is still difficult. I love this continuation of the story. Many characters that I have met before in other Beatriz Williams make appearances in this novel such as the Marshalls and the Schuylers.
Davida Chazan
Gin... both a drink and a name! Ginger is the Wicked Redhead, and boy do things get red hot in Beatriz Williams' second book in this series. You can read my review on my blog here! https://tcl-bookreviews.com/2019/12/1...
Paula
Feb 14, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have now read several books by Beatriz Williams and she is a pretty reliable 3-star read for me. Her novels are definitely chick-lit, but I enjoy her writing, her stories, her character development and the historical perspective she brings to most of her novels - especially the Prohibition Era happenings in this series. What I do NOT like is that so many of her books are part of a series, and I haven't always known this when I've started reading some of them.

While they can be read as
Cheryl
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
I like this author's books but sadly I was not in love with this book. While, I have not read the first book in this series, that was not the issue. It was the fact that I was not in "love" with the main characters. In the beginning, I did think I would really like Ella because she did show that she would bounce back on her feet but it was Gin that I did like.

Yet, I found the pacing in the beginning to be really slow. I even put the boo down and walked away from it for a bit. When I came back,
Tracy
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I devoured this second book in Beatriz Williams' prohibition series set in the 1920s! You visit Florida, NYC, Novia Scotia and more!

I love Ginger and Patsy. The way Ginger thinks and talks is great! So sassy! I love all the mystery and the action of the rum runners and pirates.

I am still trying to figure out the family connections. We still don't know who Ginger's actual father is and now we have the added mystery of who is Ella's real father, so I'm certainly expecting a 3rd book....

I love
Sara Dorn
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Gin Kellys story. Im not as huge of a fan as Ella but I love any story that connects to Annabelle and Stefan! Gin has such a unique voice and I love that Beatriz Williams had the courage to write about the Prohibition Age. ...more
MicheleReader
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Beatriz Williams is one of my favorite authors. I tell fans of historical fiction that they must read her books. Since her first novel, she has woven wonderful tales most including, in a major or minor way, the Schuyler family. In The Wicked Redhead we learn more about Ginger Kelly in 1924 as well as Ella Dommerich Gilbert (daughter of Pepper Schuyler) in 1998, characters we met in Book 1 - The Wicked City. This book also starts by tying up a loose end from Williams Cocoa Beach. It makes good ...more
Kimberly Mussell
I am so excited that Gin Kelly is back!! Thank you to edelweiss plus , Beatriz Williams and Harper Collins. When an author can incorporate other novels, it is such a thrill! Cocoa Beach and A Certain Age - if you are a true fan, you will recognize the names in the Wicked Redhead! Let's not forget to mention the law firm!! When reading this, I wanted to be in a smoky jazz filled room with a gin and tonic! Beatriz can really set the scene!
Any my favorite quote has to be.. "flame-haired mountain
BookGypsy
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the follow up to The Wicked City which was the first book I read by this author that made me such a fan of her books. The Wicked City will always be my favorite. I absolutely love reading about the jazz era. This follow up brings the past to the future. I love the characters. I love the connection the two women have. I was so excited for this new book. It didn't disappoint. The continuation is amazing. I love loved this! I hope she continues this story there is still so much of it to run ...more
The Bookend Diner
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you William Morrow Books for gifting me an advanced copy of Beatriz Williams newest book THE WICKED REDHEAD.

I am an admirer of Beatriz Williams; she has a talent for writing an impeccable historical fiction story. I am consistently transported back into the period that Williams is writing about and occasionally forget that I am not experiencing what I am reading. She is an immensely talented author and after reading THE WICKED CITY and THE WICKED REDHEAD, I feel that even more so.

First,
Reeca Elliott
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-app, edelweiss
Ella has changed her world! She has quit her job, left her husband and has moved into a new apartment. She discovers some unique information about a previous tenant of her new space. This sends her on a quest to find out more.

This novel is broken down into two different time periods, 1924 and 1998. I actually enjoyed the more recent time period better than the past. This is usual for me. I think the mystery element, the apartment and the characters were much better during this part of the story.
Jess
Mar 12, 2020 marked it as did-not-finish
It's been too long since I read the last book in this series and I have no idea what's happening, and I don't have the brain capacity to figure it out.
Erika
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. I like these storylines and characters, but felt like the end was very abrupt? I needed more closure, at least in the 20s storyline. Hope theres a third!

Also, has spoilers for both the Schuyler sisters trilogy and Cocoa beach. So read those first if you care!
Lisa Hart
I won of copy of this book through a Goodreads giveaway! I had read the first installment of this series and loved the characters and dual time-line. Ill confess that this second book didnt capture me the same way, but Gins voice is so entertaining that it kept me interested. If you like Beatriz Williams writing, this was still a worthwhile read. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Lady Clementine
  • Cartier's Hope
  • The Starless Sea
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • 25 Days 'til Christmas
  • The Whispers of War
  • Under Occupation (Night Soldiers, #15)
  • The Other Windsor Girl: A Novel of Princess Margaret, Royal Rebel
  • The Patient
  • A Good Neighborhood
  • The Chelsea Girls
  • The Swallows
  • Someone to Remember (Westcott #7)
  • A Stranger on the Beach
  • The Confession Club (Mason, #3)
  • Deserve To Die
  • The Christmas Spirits on Tradd Street  (Tradd Street, #6)
  • Big Lies in a Small Town

The Wicked City (2 books)
  • The Wicked City (The Wicked City #1)

Articles featuring this book

Winter is upon us and the chill of the season is creeping through in this month's collection of new books. Bundle up, gen...
“We’ll talk more later, all right? You let me know if you need anything. Mumma says you hired Willig, Williams & White to handle the divorce.” 0 likes