Start by marking “The California Field Atlas” as Want to Read:
The California Field Atlas

The California Field Atlas

This lavishly illustrated atlas takes readers off the beaten path and outside normal conceptions of California, revealing its myriad ecologies, topographies, and histories in exquisite maps and trail paintings. Based on decades of exploring the backcountry of the Golden State, artist-adventurer Obi Kaufmann blends science and art to illuminate the multifaceted array of liv ...more
Published September 1st 2017 by Heyday

To ask other readers questions about The California Field Atlas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The California Field Atlas

Start your review of The California Field Atlas
Not a book one reads in a single setting. Despite the small size, it's more of a coffee table book, to flip through until something catches one's eye. Probably a fun traveling companion, although I haven't left the county in four months, so what do I know?
Tyler Snortum-phelps
I'm not quite sure what I think. I'm glad I bought it, because the art is lovely and the maps are beautiful. But will I really use it? It's a coffee table book that isn't quite filled with art that carries me away, and a field guide that doesn't give me enough information to connect me more deeply with my world. Hybrids are interesting, and brave to undertake, but in this case, somewhat of a failure at both ends.
Chris
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, nonfiction
If you just want information about the geography and natural aspects of California then you will certainly find that here. But what I think you’ll find more compelling is the love for the splendor of the state that the author shows through his beautiful watercolors and thoughtful maps. I’ve recently moved to the state and can’t wait to follow in the author’s footsteps. That’s what this book will encourage you to do—get out and enjoy that beauty!
Renaissance
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Obi Kaufmann has created a beautifully presented guide to the flora, fauna and environmental features of California. In addition to the well-researched data, the book is enhanced by numerous watercolors of birds, plants, etc. The design of the maps takes a bit of getting used to, but the information is nonetheless interesting.

I've learned some facts about California that I hadn't realized previously, and the book motivates me to get out and explore more of this large and diverse state.

I read m
Lea
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nature, reference
If you love California, natural history and art this book is for you. It’s definitely a take your time and enjoy each section, the art, the bits of information sort of book. I slowly read my way through it and enjoyed it so much. The water color art is truly wonderful and inspired me to get out my paints and to make some sketches.
What prevented the 5 star - the first section with painted maps were organized poorly, the addition of a painting would have put the info you were looking at side by s
Amyallthetime
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is gorgeous, going to continue prowling through it for wonderful places to visit!
Sinclair
Apr 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Beautiful, and strange.
Morgane
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book to make you fall in love with wild California, for the first time or all over again.
Janet
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: california, nature, travel
Eccentric and beautiful, to be savored slowly. Intrigued by the author's mind and talent.
Lance
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is more of a reference book, very hard to digest all the information. The paintings are good, and lots of info. There are other books that maybe more helpful for most people.
Chris
Feb 07, 2020 marked it as to-read
- - - - -
2/7/20—Get this someday because it’s such a cool passion project. The art is gorgeous, and the book is also put together well and lovely.
Nadim Khan Hashim
rated it did not like it
Aug 05, 2018
May 12, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The California Naturalist Handbook
  • The Wreck of the Whaleship Essex
  • The Brain's Way of Healing: Remarkable Discoveries and Recoveries from the Frontiers of Neuroplasticity
  • Worst. President. Ever.: James Buchanan, the POTUS Rating Game, and the Legacy of the Least of the Lesser Presidents
  • The Body: A Guide for Occupants
  • Dog Songs
  • Year of the Monkey
  • The Deep
  • Moomin: The Complete Tove Jansson Comic Strip, Vol. 1
  • Founding Gardeners: The Revolutionary Generation, Nature, and the Shaping of the American Nation
  • Cod: A Biography of the Fish that Changed the World
  • A Garden of Inspiration: Quotations for Lovers of Gardening and Growing
  • Imperfect Union: How Jessie and John Frémont Mapped the West, Invented Celebrity, and Helped Cause the Civil War
  • Philadelphia Trees: A Field Guide to the City and the Surrounding Delaware Valley
  • Botanical Latin