Start by marking “Beguiled (Enlightenment, #2)” as Want to Read:
Beguiled (Enlightenment, #2)

Beguiled

(Enlightenment #2)

This is a second edition of a book previously published by Samhain Publishing.

Two years after his last encounter with cynical nobleman Lord Murdo Balfour, David Lauriston accidentally meets him again in the heart of Edinburgh.

King George IV is about to make his first visit to Edinburgh and Murdo has been sent North by his politician father to represent his aristocratic fam
Published April 23rd 2017 by Joanna Chambers Books (first published December 24th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Beguiled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beguiled

Start your review of Beguiled (Enlightenment, #2)
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Suuuuuper strong.

Two years has passed since our men have seen each other, but the chemistry is just as palpable as before. And the feels.... ah, the feels! They will slay you.

I launched right into this one after finishing Provoked, and I'm so happy I did. After the first one left me hanging, I just had to know what happened next. And the story just continued to progress beautifully.

I liked this more self-assured David. He was more settled, more mature, but I loved that he retained that sense
Judith
4.5

SWOONING!!

I honestly don't know why i waited so long to read this after Provoked.It's official,Murdo and David have moved up to second place in my favourite MM couples list!

I LOVED EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS.

-delicious clandestine meetings,

-smouldering passion and sexual tension,

-great plot incorporated into the story so well,

WELL IMPRESSED!!

O
Susan
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

God this book was amazing!!!!!!

I dove right into book 2 of this series the day after finishing Provoked. True, the ending to book 1 was abrupt and I wanted to know what happened next. But mostly because the main characters, David and Murdo, haunted me. I couldn’t stop thinking about them and wondering where the story would go next.

I loved this book. It was romantic and endearing and tender. It was action-packed, suspenseful, and heart-racing. It was sexy and smoldering and *sigh*-inducing.

In th
Simone
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
June 2020: Audiobook = ***3.5 - 4 Stars***

************************

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️  and I'm in love!!!

Is it too early for me to say that this will be my favorite m/m historical series ever? Maybe, but I don't think so... I know that there are plenty of series out there to discover, but... Guys, you will have quite a difficult, if not impossible stand to come even close to Murdo, that's for certain.

I could never resist a man in a kilt on a black horse...
b39477a1823ac0e12e51f4497a4e7b0b.png (500×750)

... with a personality like that. I want a
Ingie
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of great M/M HR!
Written March 23, 2014

5 Grand Stars - amazing good - just stunning wonderful to meet these MC's again - a couple to really love and care for

Book #2

I read a great book the other day, I LOVED it. It was the first part Provoked (4.5 stars from me) in a historical three part series, (Enlightenment) by Joanna Chambers. This second book is the continuing story about two gorgeous mens journey (and way against HEA love perhaps) in the 1820s Edinburgh in Scotland.

~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~

...1822 Edinburgh, Sc
Meags
4 Stars

This M/M historical series continues to impress.

Picking up two long years after the events of Provoked, David Lauriston and Lord Murdo Balfour are reunited when Murdo returns to Edinburgh during the much publicised and celebrated King’s visit of 1822.

With their last contact ending on somewhat of a penitent note, the chance to share time together once again is an opportunity too good to pass up, regardless of the potential risks—namely risks of the heart.

Where David was once hesitant and
Ami
This story was simply dazzling and profoundly romantic. My heart felt like it was melting with love...

"Beguiled" is the second installment of a series entitled "Enlightenment”. It is set in a historical period ... and trust me when I say that this series is SO GOOD, I actually forgot that I dislike the historical genre in general. The writing is a beauty but I guess the strength lies in the characters.

David was simply a darling – a gentle soul, he had an ingenuity flair in him that I found ende
Richard Derus
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindled, quiltbag
Rating: 4* of five

One quote to rule the book:
A man will fight for hate for a long time, but he will fight for love to the death.

Every single moment of this entry into the series is about Murdo's hate for the way his world wants him to behave, and his love for David, which is (he very much fears) unreciprocated.

It is also about how deeply David detests his weakness of character that forbids him to turn his face to his true love and say, simply and directly, "I love you, Murdo."

These men fight lik
Christelle
Third time and it gets to me even more.

---------------------------------
LOVED IT : It’s so compelling that, even if it’s my second read, I can’t get enough of it : the historical background, David’s turmoil, the passion and hotness between David and Murdo ….and what to say about Murdo….**endless sighs**

Going straight to the next instalment !!!

---------- Initial review ----------
2nd part of the enlightenment series : the riveting journey of David and Murdo set in the 19th century in Scotland. Th
K.J. Charles
Sigh.

Lovely writing, lovely men, lovely historical setting that really informs the action and characterisation, lovely character development, lovely lead in to book 3.

Now give me the third one or I will hurt you.
Teal
2020 reread: Still 4 stars, and I've added some thoughts below, at the end of my original review.
______

A solid second entry in the series, yet I didn't find it as exceptional as the first. Even so, there were a few times when an insight or an emotion was expressed so poignantly, so movingly, that it pierced me right through the heart.

My (relative) dissatisfaction was due to the changes in Murdo's character. In the first book, I didn't like him. But I liked that I didn't like him. It was obvi
Shile
5+++++++ stars

Murdo and David! these two are so good together that i could not help myself but smile while reading this.

“I don’t know what this thing between us is,” Murdo said, and he sounded genuinely bewildered. “But I can’t give it up. I can’t give you up.” Me too Murdo, Me too.

This book just flows effortlessly, it is just.. just.. i don't know how to describe it, the words just flow.....

I loved it so much!
Ariana
Apr 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, lgbtq
Reread June 2020
Absolutely swoon-worthy, and totally worth all the stars! Upped my rating accordingly!

original review

Two years is a long time.
Long enough to forget, long enough to learn.
David has not forgotten Murdo, but he has learnt something from their encounter:
"Life was easier sometimes, when you didn't know what you were missing."

And even the few hours he spent with Murdo have shown him that he is missing something. And when he meets Murdo by chance again and of course cannot stay away,
~Volha~
It's turning to be quite the journey for David and Murdo. This time it's not only about physical attraction but about mutual bond of trust and friendship that these two men establish in the course of the time they spend together when Murdo is back to Edinburgh.

Two years have passed since they have seen each other last time. And their parting was not amicable by any means but since the first glance it's like no time has passed at all. They step into it like into an old pair of slippers - comforta
Julio Genao
May 20, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, no
this book made me rageface, but nobody i know hates this. so.

your mileage will almost certainly etc.

but me: cannot with the crappy characterization and molasses pacing.

i don't need explosions or monkeyfucking to keep my interest, but for god's sake—

abandoned at 30 percent.
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Expected more*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

Two years has gone since the previous book, and since lowborn and a lawyer David ‘Davy’ Lauriston (26) and Lord Murdoch ‘Murdo’ Balfour (in his thirties? 32? 33?) last saw each other. However, that doesn't mean the spark is lost; it's grown strong. With a little action (though not much) and a growing connection between the characters, the book was a alright read. Although it wasn't better than the first one, nor did it live up to my expectations. I struggled a litt
Elena
My most common concern when I’m rereading a book is that I won’t find it as good as the first time. It’s already a win when that happens and it’s not often that I feel the need to rise the rating, but for the second time with this series, I’m adding half a star to my original rating.
I loved every moment of this book and I can’t find a single thing I would want to be different. I reread my original review and I’m scratching my head and wondering what I wanted back then, when I complained about D
Leslie
**Reread 6/15/20-6/16/20. Review and rating stay the same. I’m still smitten. 🥰

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️.5/5 Heart Stealing Stars!
🔥🔥🔥/5 Heat
5/5 Sexual Tension and Pining! 😍

This series, David and Murdo (especially Murdo) has completely stolen my heart and enchanted me. I said in my review of book one how I wasn’t a big historical romance person but consider me more open to it now. IF, they are like this series at least. Wow. I’m glad all of the books are available because my instant gratification, binge happy sel
Angela Bee Bee
Could you resist this guy?

Accurate down to the cockade, this story occurs during King George's first visit to Scotland.
Apparently this visit spurred the official kilt wearing national pride sort of thing.
In between all of that, Balfour and David are flirting away and thinking naughty thoughts. They gaze and smile at each other in a very romantic seductive manner. The romance has a male female dynamic that is different and interesting.

The discussion missing
Ele
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historicals
*4.5 stars*

I shouldn't have waited so long to read this series. I know a lot of readers don't care for time jumps. I'm in the minority about this, but I love time jumps and even long seperation periods. When done right, it benefits the narrative immensely, it gives the characters (and the reader) a great sense of perspective and the MCs can fully realise their feelings. This is exactly what happened here. I absolutely loved the two year time jump.

The Age of Enlightment is a favorite era to study
Isabel
After reading this book, the first thing that I want to say is that May can't come fast enough! Not because this book ends with a cliffhanger, because it doesn't... But I'm craving for the exchange of a word between the MCs, and I can't wait to read that moment!

This book is even better than the first one... it's amazing, captivating, romantic... I felt mesmerized by it!

After some time apart, David and Murdo met again! David more mature, more sure of himself... and Murdo the same confident and st
Cadiva
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Chapter two with David and Murdo clips along at a faster pace

This one is much quicker on plot narrative than the scene setting of the first book. There is also a much greater level of connection between our erstwhile heroes.

Two years later, this centres around the true historical event of George IV's visit to Scotland at the behest of Sir Walter Scott, novelist and the starting point for the romanticism of the Highland way of life.

I love it when a history novel uses real events to wrap its story
CrabbyPatty
Life was easier sometimes when you didn’t know what you were missing.
It has been two years since Lord Balfour and David parted ways in London. It's 1822 and all of Edinburgh is preparing for King George's visit to Scotland - the first in almost 200 years - and Sir Walter Scott (of Ivanhoe and Rob Roy fame) has organized an extravagant bit of theater for the visit decreeing all citizen dress in specific colors, with kilts or other authentic Highland dress required for the Grand Ball. As a re
Heather C
How many of you were screaming about the ending of Provoked??? Well, if you weren't screaming, then that means you probably didn't read it...and you didn't read because you either hadn't realized how good it was, or you already knew that it ended with neither a HEA nor a HFN and were too afraid to be left hanging. I, honestly, LOVED Provoked, even gave it an easy 5 stars. But I am happy to say that I LOVED Beguiled EVEN MORE!!

I've been fretting about what to write in this review for several week
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
Heart eyes. Nuthin' but heart eyes do I see.

Review up on the blog or see Enlightened review.

Claudie ☾
Oct 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was every bit as good as the prequel! I LOVE this series! 😍

Murdo’s personality did a one-eighty here — I guess two years can change a man, but it was still a little surprising. I really liked seeing his softer side, though, and he still remains my favorite character in this series. The changes in David were subtler, but just as significant. It’s great that he’s finally beginning to accept himself.

Oh my goodness, I adore these two together! And that ending was so sweet, too — or should I say
Kaje Harper
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, favorites, m-m
I enjoyed the first book in this series, Provoked, a lot, even though the romance barely gets off the ground floor in that book. Now David, a solicitor in 1822 Scotland, has pretty much gotten over his depression at finding and then being left by a man he could care about and was willing to let his true nature out for. He always knew it was just a temporary thing, and at this point has not seen Murdo for two years. He's working, taking the burden off his ailing mentor's shoulders, and building h ...more
Chris
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ahhh so David has finally come to understand he is not an abomination and that what he feels for Murdo is certainly something new. After missing each other for two years they are reunited via the pomp and pageantry of the Kings visit. They find they are more desperate for each other and their romance, albeit fleeting and very cloak & dagger, starts to heat up. I love David’s loyalty to his friends and his protection of Elizabeth cost him his health badly ... but in saying that he will now spend ...more
Karen
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Even better! The relationship between these two is simply addictive. Great writing and character building. On to Enlightenment.
Rosa
Oct 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I liked this continuation of Murdo and David story. I was anxious thinking Euan could make trouble for David, but in the end, when trouble came, it was from other side.
I liked the changes Murdo has provoked in David, but, more even because they were a surprise, the changes we see in Murdo. We see him through David unreliable eyes, but, it's clear his encounter with David has changed him more than we could expect.
I couldn't stop reading once I reached the end, I'm off to see how their story con

• A Fashionable Indulgence (Society of Gentlemen, #1)
  • A Seditious Affair (Society of Gentlemen, #2)
  • A Gentleman's Position (Society of Gentlemen, #3)
  • A Minor Inconvenience
  • Think of England
  • The Ruin of Gabriel Ashleigh (Society of Gentlemen, #0.5)
  • The Sugared Game (The Will Darling Adventures #2)
  • Slippery Creatures (The Will Darling Adventures #1)
  • The Gentleman and the Rogue
  • An Unnatural Vice (Sins of the Cities, #2)
  • A Case of Possession (A Charm of Magpies, #2)
  • Two Rogues Make a Right (Seducing the Sedgwicks, #3)
  • An Unseen Attraction (Sins of the Cities, #1)
  • Flight of Magpies (A Charm of Magpies, #3)
  • All In with the Duke (Gambling on Love, #1)
  • An Unsuitable Heir (Sins of the Cities, #3)
  • Bound to Him (Bound, #2)
  • Jackdaw (The World of A Charm of Magpies)
Joanna Chambers' muse likes red wine, coffee and won't let Joanna clean the house or watch television.

If you came here looking for a copy of The Bequest you can get it here:

If you're looking for Seasons Pass, go here:

Enlightenment (5 books)
  • Provoked (Enlightenment, #1)
  • Enlightened (Enlightenment, #3)
  • Unnatural (Enlightenment, #4)
  • Restored (Enlightenment, #5)

News & Interviews

“I don’t know. I just—never knew it could be like that, between two men.” “Neither did I.” There” 2 likes
“If you’d really rather not fight your way through the crowds, I don’t mind going alone,” David said. Too late he realised how ungrateful that sounded. Worse, how hurtful. As though he didn’t even want Murdo’s company. Murdo stared at him in silence for a long, uncomfortable moment. When he finally spoke in a flat, calm voice, it was to say, “Of course I’ll come. You are my guest.” “Murdo, I’m sorr—” But” 1 likes