Start by marking “Beguiled (Enlightenment, #2)” as Want to Read:
Beguiled (Enlightenment, #2)

Beguiled

(Enlightenment #2)

This is a second edition of a book previously published by Samhain Publishing.

Two years after his last encounter with cynical nobleman Lord Murdo Balfour, David Lauriston accidentally meets him again in the heart of Edinburgh.

King George IV is about to make his first visit to Edinburgh and Murdo has been sent North by his politician father to represent his aristocratic fam
Published April 23rd 2017 by Joanna Chambers Books (first published December 24th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Beguiled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beguiled

Judith
4.5

SWOONING!!

I honestly don't know why i waited so long to read this after Provoked.It's official,Murdo and David have moved up to second place in my favourite MM couples list!

I LOVED EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS.

-delicious clandestine meetings,

-smouldering passion and sexual tension,

-great plot incorporated into the story so well,

WELL IMPRESSED!!

Off to star
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Suuuuuper strong.

Two years has passed since our men have seen each other, but the chemistry is just as palpable as before. And the feels.... ah, the feels! They will slay you.

I launched right into this one after finishing Provoked, and I'm so happy I did. After the first one left me hanging, I just had to know what happened next. And the story just continued to progress beautifully.

I liked this more self-assured David. He was more settled, more mature, but I loved that he retained that sense o
Susan
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-favorites

God this book was amazing!!!!!!

I dove right into book 2 of this series the day after finishing Provoked. True, the ending to book 1 was abrupt and I wanted to know what happened next. But mostly because the main characters, David and Murdo, haunted me. I couldn’t stop thinking about them and wondering where the story would go next.

I loved this book. It was romantic and endearing and tender. It was action-packed, suspenseful, and heart-racing. It was sexy and smoldering and *sigh*-inducing.

In th
Ingie
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of great M/M HR!
Written March 23, 2014

5 Grand Stars - amazing good - just stunning wonderful to meet these MC's again - a couple to really love and care for

Book #2

I read a great book the other day, I LOVED it. It was the first part Provoked (4.5 stars from me) in a historical three part series, (Enlightenment) by Joanna Chambers. This second book is the continuing story about two gorgeous mens journey (and way against HEA love perhaps) in the 1820s Edinburgh in Scotland.

~<>~<>~<>~<>~<
Ami
This story was simply dazzling and profoundly romantic. My heart felt like it was melting with love...

"Beguiled" is the second installment of a series entitled "Enlightenment”. It is set in a historical period ... and trust me when I say that this series is SO GOOD, I actually forgot that I dislike the historical genre in general. The writing is a beauty but I guess the strength lies in the characters.

David was simply a darling – a gentle soul, he had an ingenuity flair in him that I found ende
Richard Derus
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: quiltbag, kindled
Rating: 4* of five

One quote to rule the book:
A man will fight for hate for a long time, but he will fight for love to the death.

Every single moment of this entry into the series is about Murdo's hate for the way his world wants him to behave, and his love for David, which is (he very much fears) unreciprocated.

It is also about how deeply David detests his weakness of character that forbids him to turn his face to his true love and say, simply and directly, "I love you, Murdo."

These men fight lik
Simone
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
❤❤❤❤❤  and I'm in love!!!

Is it too early for me to say that this will be my favorite m/m historical series ever? Maybe, but I don't think so... I know that there are plenty of series out there to discover, but... Guys, you will have quite a difficult, if not impossible stand to come even close to Murdo, that's for certain.

I could never resist a man in a kilt on a black horse...
b39477a1823ac0e12e51f4497a4e7b0b.png (500×750)

... with a personality like that. I want a Murdo for myself!

Please tell me there will be a HEA for him and David. Pr
Christelle
LOVED IT : It’s so compelling that, even if it’s my second read, I can’t get enough of it : the historical background, David’s turmoil, the passion and hotness between David and Murdo ….and what to say about Murdo….**endless sighs**

Going straight to the next instalment !!!

---------- Initial review ----------
2nd part of the enlightenment series : the riveting journey of David and Murdo set in the 19th century in Scotland. This is getting better and better. As mentioned in my review of the 1st boo
K.J. Charles
Sigh.

Lovely writing, lovely men, lovely historical setting that really informs the action and characterisation, lovely character development, lovely lead in to book 3.

Now give me the third one or I will hurt you.
Shile
5+++++++ stars

Murdo and David! these two are so good together that i could not help myself but smile while reading this.

“I don’t know what this thing between us is,” Murdo said, and he sounded genuinely bewildered. “But I can’t give it up. I can’t give you up.” Me too Murdo, Me too.

This book just flows effortlessly, it is just.. just.. i don't know how to describe it, the words just flow.....

I loved it so much!
~Volha~
It's turning to be quite the journey for David and Murdo. This time it's not only about physical attraction but about mutual bond of trust and friendship that these two men establish in the course of the time they spend together when Murdo is back to Edinburgh.

Two years have passed since they have seen each other last time. And their parting was not amicable by any means but since the first glance it's like no time has passed at all. They step into it like into an old pair of slippers - comforta
Julio Genao
May 20, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, no
this book made me rageface, but nobody i know hates this. so.

your mileage will almost certainly etc.

but me: cannot with the crappy characterization and molasses pacing.

i don't need explosions or monkeyfucking to keep my interest, but for god's sake—

abandoned at 30 percent.
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*Expected more*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

Two years has gone since the previous book, and since lowborn and a lawyer David ‘Davy’ Lauriston (26) and Lord Murdoch ‘Murdo’ Balfour (in his thirties? 32? 33?) last saw each other. However, that doesn't mean the spark is lost; it's grown strong. With a little action (though not much) and a growing connection between the characters, the book was a alright read. Although it wasn't better than the first one, nor did it live up to my expectations. I struggled a little
Ariana
Apr 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, historical
Two years is a long time.
Long enough to forget, long enough to learn.
David has not forgotten Murdo, but he has learnt something from their encounter:
"Life was easier sometimes, when you didn't know what you were missing."

And even the few hours he spent with Murdo have shown him that he is missing something. And when he meets Murdo by chance again and of course cannot stay away, he feels ...

"no regret, no panic.... (but) more at peace than he normally did, as though all the jumbled parts of h
Angela Bee Bee
Could you resist this guy?

Accurate down to the cockade, this story occurs during King George's first visit to Scotland.
Apparently this visit spurred the official kilt wearing national pride sort of thing.
In between all of that, Balfour and David are flirting away and thinking naughty thoughts. They gaze and smile at each other in a very romantic seductive manner. The romance has a male female dynamic that is different and interesting.

The discussion missing
Ele
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historicals
*4.5 stars*

I shouldn't have waited so long to read this series. I know a lot of readers don't care for time jumps. I'm in the minority about this, but I love time jumps and even long seperation periods. When done right, it benefits the narrative immensely, it gives the characters (and the reader) a great sense of perspective and the MCs can fully realise their feelings. This is exactly what happened here. I absolutely loved the two year time jump.

The Age of Enlightment is a favorite era to study
Isabel
After reading this book, the first thing that I want to say is that May can't come fast enough! Not because this book ends with a cliffhanger, because it doesn't... But I'm craving for the exchange of a word between the MCs, and I can't wait to read that moment!

This book is even better than the first one... it's amazing, captivating, romantic... I felt mesmerized by it!

After some time apart, David and Murdo met again! David more mature, more sure of himself... and Murdo the same confident and st
CrabbyPatty
Life was easier sometimes when you didn’t know what you were missing.
It has been two years since Lord Balfour and David parted ways in London. It's 1822 and all of Edinburgh is preparing for King George's visit to Scotland - the first in almost 200 years - and Sir Walter Scott (of Ivanhoe and Rob Roy fame) has organized an extravagant bit of theater for the visit decreeing all citizen dress in specific colors, with kilts or other authentic Highland dress required for the Grand Ball. As a resu
Heather C
How many of you were screaming about the ending of Provoked??? Well, if you weren't screaming, then that means you probably didn't read it...and you didn't read because you either hadn't realized how good it was, or you already knew that it ended with neither a HEA nor a HFN and were too afraid to be left hanging. I, honestly, LOVED Provoked, even gave it an easy 5 stars. But I am happy to say that I LOVED Beguiled EVEN MORE!!

I've been fretting about what to write in this review for several week
Kaje Harper
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, m-m, historical
I enjoyed the first book in this series, Provoked, a lot, even though the romance barely gets off the ground floor in that book. Now David, a solicitor in 1822 Scotland, has pretty much gotten over his depression at finding and then being left by a man he could care about and was willing to let his true nature out for. He always knew it was just a temporary thing, and at this point has not seen Murdo for two years. He's working, taking the burden off his ailing mentor's shoulders, and building h ...more
Karen
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Even better! The relationship between these two is simply addictive. Great writing and character building. On to Enlightenment.
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
Heart eyes. Nuthin' but heart eyes do I see.

Review up on the blog or see Enlightened review.

Karen
Dec 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-mm
This series is actually my first foray back into historical romance in quite a while and the world of m/m historical romance possibly ever. I have issues with historical romance (see last review, I hate being repetitive). The first book was so much better than I had expected and I really enjoyed it. But this book, this one for me was over the top.

David and Murdo are wonderful, I like them both. In some ways they are such polar opposites. This book showed us not only more of these to intriguing m
Chris
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, historical
Ahhh so David has finally come to understand he is not an abomination and that what he feels for Murdo is certainly something new. After missing each other for two years they are reunited via the pomp and pageantry of the Kings visit. They find they are more desperate for each other and their romance, albeit fleeting and very cloak & dagger, starts to heat up. I love David’s loyalty to his friends and his protection of Elizabeth cost him his health badly ... but in saying that he will now sp ...more
Caz
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've given this a B+ at AAR, so 4.5 stars

Beguiled is the middle book in Joanna Chambers’ Enlightenment trilogy of novels set in early nineteenth century Edinburgh, and I’ll say right off the bat that this is a series in which the books really do need to be read in order.  The romance between the studious advocate, David Lauriston, and the hedonistic Lord Murdo Balfour develops across all three books, plus there is an overarching secondary plotline running through them  – so there will be spoil
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
If you enjoy Historical M/M Romance with wonderful detail and characters of which the author has intimate knowledge and decides to share that with the rest of the world, then I have a book for you. Come and find out more about David and Murdo in early 19th Century Scotland… 4.5 stars worth. ;)

We open this time in 1822 with David working for Chalmers full time, having become his right-hand man, the term Chalmers uses himself. King George IV is coming to Edinburgh, attempting to bring some unity b
Sara
There’s nothing quite like the first taste of something, is there? Though seasoned pleasures have their place too.

Oh yes they do! So, immediately after finishing Provoked I dug into this book. Thank goodness it was released in time for me to have it ready. I cannot imagine waiting for it. Well, I can now that I have finished this and realize there is a third book that is not out yet. Why did you do this to me Joanna Chambers? WHY? Le Sigh.

We are back with the gorgeous men in Scotland of
Teal
A solid second entry in the series, yet I didn't find it as exceptional as the first. Even so, there were a few times when an insight or an emotion was expressed so poignantly, so movingly, that it pierced me right through the heart.

My (relative) dissatisfaction was due to the changes in Murdo's character. In the first book, I didn't like him. But I liked that I didn't like him. It was obvious that he would have to undergo a transformative journey in order to become a man capable of falling in
Natasha
I love David. I love Murdo. I love Euen. I love Elizabeth.
Everyone is great and this story just futhered my sexual frustration towards this book. I'll be reading the third and final book (*tear*) soon.
Had a lot of hope for a love triangle, but I'll live.
MishyJo
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible-finished
Sigh. So good. I even like Murdo now.

• A Gentleman's Position (Society of Gentlemen, #3)
  • The Gentleman's Madness
  • Another Place in Time
  • Unhinge the Universe
  • On a Lee Shore
  • Brothers of the Wild North Sea
  • Bloodline (Whyborne & Griffin, #5)
  • One Indulgence (Indulgence, #1)
  • The Reluctant Berserker
  • Kindred Hearts
Joanna Chambers always wanted to write. In between studying, finding a proper grown up job, getting married and having kids, she spent many hours staring at blank sheets of paper and chewing pens. That changed when she rediscovered her love of romance and found her muse. Joanna's muse likes red wine, coffee and won't let Joanna clean the house or watch television

Enlightenment (4 books)
  • Provoked (Enlightenment, #1)
  • Enlightened (Enlightenment, #3)
  • Unnatural (Enlightenment, #4)
“I don’t know. I just—never knew it could be like that, between two men.” “Neither did I.” There” 1 likes
“If you’d really rather not fight your way through the crowds, I don’t mind going alone,” David said. Too late he realised how ungrateful that sounded. Worse, how hurtful. As though he didn’t even want Murdo’s company. Murdo stared at him in silence for a long, uncomfortable moment. When he finally spoke in a flat, calm voice, it was to say, “Of course I’ll come. You are my guest.” “Murdo, I’m sorr—” But” 1 likes