Start by marking “The Purloined Paperweight” as Want to Read:
The Purloined Paperweight

The Purloined Paperweight

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  242 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Published December 15th 1989 by Paperweight Press (first published May 12th 1967)

To ask other readers questions about The Purloined Paperweight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Purloined Paperweight

F.R.
Dec 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One would hardly be so foolhardy as to place ‘Company for Henry’ at the forefront of the Wodehouse oeuvre, but it would certainly be hard to deny that this slight – even middling – later novel shows off old P.G. at his most charming. The prose is as expected lovely, the wit is constantly sharp and it’s just beautiful to watch him assemble this colourful (yet familiar) jigsaw puzzle of pieces to create one of his trademarked gentle farces. All the usual types are here: there’s the dissolute owner ...more
Libbeth
Oct 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1982-to-1989, humour
I will use this "review" for all the P. G. Wodehouse I have read. I read them all so long ago and enjoyed them so much that I have given them all 5 stars. As I re-read them I will adjust the stars accordingly, if necessary, and add a proper review.
When I first discovered P. G. Wodehouse I devoured every book I could find in the local library, throughout the eighties and early nineties. Alas, this means that I have read most of them and stumbling across one I have not read is a rare thing. I'm su
Colleen
Frothy fun. The plot is as intricate as the workings of a music box. As typical for a PG Wodehouse novel, the characters don't change, but they are delightful enough as they are that the reader doesn't really mind that. A quick read that's perfect for the lazy days of summer.
Douglas Wilson
Feb 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wodehouse, fiction
Read this one before, under the title The Purloined Paperweight. I liked it better this time for some reason. Always fun.
Doug
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book makes a pair of [interconnected] Thomas Hardy jokes, name-checks Southern [US] fried chicken as a wonderful thing, and lampshades its whole premise of a caper involving a missing paperweight as being quaint in the first few pages. Five stars! Stand amazed by it.

Ok, so even for Wodehouse, this one is light and full of contrivances. You could call it breezy, unnecessarily convoluted, prone to so many coincidences that even Dickens would complain, and a bit idealistic about human nature
Sheryl
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anglophiles and those who don't take his upper class non working characters seriously
Recommended to Sheryl by: no one

i had actually HEARD of this book from deep in my distant past so thot maybe it was well known long ago? anyway, hugh grant and steven fry are huge fans of his and played jeeves and wooster on the BBC long ago...

very quick read but i didn't want it to end...i wanted more so now the search is on...since i listen over and over again in the car i now must start reading them in bed...they are a tremendous number, thank goodness.

i need them to relieve the tremendous stress in my life now so...they d
Betsy
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not an all-out laugh fest or binge, but a jolly good time all the same.
Holly
May 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed the plot thickening, right up until the last page. It was then that I read THE END, and realized most of the conflict was never resolved. I needed just one more chapter to set everything straight. Rather annoying. Nevertheless, Wodehouse always gives you some clever writing. Among my favorites are these:

"Its atmosphere was one of intensely respectable gloom."

"The authorities in charge of human affairs have decreed, no doubt for some excellent reason, that interior decorator
Aarathi Burki
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very very funny book extremely hilarious loved the pair of Henry and Kelly . Great writing by wodehouse who can turn a simple scene into utmost comedy.
May 31, 2011 rated it liked it
I had heard of P.G. Wodehouse, but never read anything by him until a fellow reviewer suggested I should. And, having no rhyme or reason to which Wodehouse book to read, I chose the one with the oddest title. This book actually goes by another name than the one I have. It has been re-released with the title “Company for Henry.”

Comments I’ve received when mentioning I’m reading a Wodehouse book have all followed a similar strain – “He’s so…British!” Sometimes this was meant in a good way, sometim
Goodreads Librari...: P G Wodehouse vs P.G. Wodehouse 3 38 Feb 02, 2013 09:21PM
  • The Social Climber's Handbook
  • Live Bait (Fearless FBI, #2)
  • Babylonne (Pagan Chronicles #5)
  • P. G. Wodehouse: A Biography
  • The Best Laid Plans
  • Pied and Prodigious
  • Mind Storm (Strykers Syndicate, #1)
  • The definitive biography of P.D.Q. Bach (1807-1742)?
  • Into Hot Air: Mounting Mount Everest
  • The Better Mousetrap (J. W. Wells & Co., #5)
  • Freshman
  • Tickled Pink: A Comic Novel
  • The Chamber of Five
  • Red Station (Harry Tate, #1)
  • Awakening & to Let (The Forsyte Chronicles #2.5 & #3)
  • The Arrangement
  • Mike Nelson's Death Rat!
  • MYTH-Interpretations: The Worlds of Robert Asprin
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 40 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so ...more
More about P.G. Wodehouse...