Start by marking “A Change Is Gonna Come” as Want to Read:
A Change Is Gonna Come

A Change Is Gonna Come

Featuring top Young Adult authors alongside a host of exciting new talent, this anthology of stories and poetry from BAME writers on the theme of change is a long-overdue addition to the YA scene. Contributors include Tanya Byrne, Inua Ellams, Catherine Johnson, Patrice Lawrence, Ayisha Malik, Irfan Master, Musa Okwonga and Nikesh Shukla.

Plus introducing four fresh new voi
Published August 10th 2017 by Stripes Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Change Is Gonna Come, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Change Is Gonna Come

Start your review of A Change Is Gonna Come
Warda
OUT TODAY! 🎉

[3.5 ⭐️] I would really like to thank Stripes Books for sending a copy of this book my way!

This is an anthology, a collection of short stories by a wide range of diverse, British BAME (black, Asian and minority ethnic) authors and stories.
The title, as written in the foreword of this book, is a song written by Sam Cooke that became an anthem during the 1960's Civil Rights Movement in the USA

I absolutely LOVED the concept of this book. It's stories such as these ones that we need mor
Emer (A Little Haze)
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emer (A Little Haze) by: Aimee
Read as part of the ABN Summer Reading Challenge recommended by Aimee

As with any short story collection this had its high points and its lows. Some stories felt incredibly honest and smart (Hackney Moon, A Refuge), others were well written but somewhat contrived emotion-wise and felt more akin to lessons rather than moving stories (Marionette Girl; We Who?; Fortune Favours the Bold), some were just okay (Iridescent Adolescent; Dear Asha), and others just made me want to claw my eyes out (Astound
Bee
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ukya, review-books
Favourites include: Nikesh Shukla, Yasmin Rahman and Phoebe Roy, they were all just *heart eyes*
Lily
4.5/5 stars!

This was a fantastic collection of short stories and poems written by 12 BAME authors from the UK, four of which were previously unpublished, but are definitely voices to look out for.

The stories in here are wonderfully varied, featuring a range of voices and stories. There were a few I didn't quite love as much as some others but overall the collection is fantastic. Some of my favourites include We Who? by Nikesh Shukla, Hackney Moon by Tanya Byrne, Marionette Girl by Aisha Bushby a
Neelam
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved the stories and related to so many!
Cora Tea Party Princess
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 Words: A Change Is Gonna Come.

This is an absolutely fantastic collection, with something for everyone. I actually liked everything included, which is very rare for me when it comes to anthologies. My mind is blown by how good it was.

There is something within the pages to laugh at and cry at. There are authors new and established within the pages, it was great to read some familiar voices - I recognised Patrice Lawrence's story from her writing style - and I discovered some new-to me writers. T
Robin Stevens
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Twelve fresh, fantastic and well-written stories about change, from twelve new and established BAME authors. My particular favourites were Tanya Byrne's hopeful love story and Phoebe Roy's gloriously weird coming-of-age story, but there are so many wonderful ones in here that it's hard to choose. 12+

Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
I loved this book. It felt real and powerful and inspiring.
Sinead Anja (Huntress of Diverse Books)
Check out my book blog for more book reviews and other bookish posts!

I received an ARC of A Change Is Gonna Come from Netgalley. This anthology is target audience are young adults of colour. The stories are written by authors of colour, are for readers of colour and features main characters of colour.

Marginalisations that are repped include: multiracial, Nigerian, brown, Jewish, Muslim, blind, OCD, anxiety.

Most of the stories in this book are #ownvoices for certain aspects.

__

One of the first thi
Kath Lau
A Change is Gonna Come is a collection of short stories and poems written by established and new BAME (Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic) writers. The main theme of this book is "change" and the authors did an incredible job interpreting it in their most unique and effective ways of story-telling. From contemporary to magical realism to historical fiction to dystopia, this YA anthology explores a lot of important issues that we are currently facing and will surely inspire you to make the change y ...more
Charlotte Burns
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Change is Gonna Come is a brilliant collection of short stories and poems from a variety of excellent authors, some authors whose work I was already familiar with and several who were new to me. All the pieces related to being marginalised or oppressed in some way and showed the need for change.

I loved that there was an index of issues covered as a kind of trigger-warning for readers and also a resources section for anyone affected by the issues raised.

Everything in the collection is brillia
Rosanna Threakall
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Everyone needs to read this book!
Kelly
Very highly anticipated within the UKYA community, I was delighted when I was accepted for an early copy of this on NetGalley. A Change is Gonna Come is every bit as wonderful as I expected and so, so much more.

This anthology holds such a diverse collection of stories from a wonderful host of BAME writers, some already well known authors and some fantastic debuts. Covering topics such as bereavement, mental health, racism and sexuality there is so much to be garnered from reading this anthology.
Gabby
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gabby by: Aimee
Underwhelming with a disjointed, messy prose that didn't flow very well from one story to the next. I think what had a chance to tell impactful stories about people we don't see usually represented in the main stream media was missed - in the end the characters all just felt the same kind of 2d cut characters.

I liked the different settings, and some of the aims of the stories. I just feel like the short stories didn't work very well as I never felt truly invested in the characters before I was b
Aimee
A fantastic collection of short stories by BAME authors and poets in the UK.

I picked this up in my local library on a whim, attracted by the bright yellow cover. Some of the authors were ones I'd heard of before - Nikesh Shukla (The Good Immigrant) and Patrice Lawrence Orangeboy), for instance - but the majority were new to me so I have discovered some great new writers.

There wasn't a single story I didn't like, although obviously I had my favourites. My top three:
- We Who? by Nikesh Shukla - a
Marie Andrews
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Change is Gonna Come is a collection of short stories/poetry by various authors (both debut authors and already published) with the aim to "give creative space to those who have been historically had their thoughts, ideas and experiences oppressed". This anthology covers a range of topics, with a list of issues raised at the end of the book if you wish to find out more information or get trigger warnings, which I think is a fantastic idea and should be done more frequently with other books! Ot ...more
Lucy
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
As a Brit, I’m always on the lookout for local authors to support, but it’s not easy - American authors dominate the ‘Teen and YA’ sections of most British bookshops. It’s even harder to find diverse #UKYA lit. We’re behind the times when it comes to diversifying our shelves - with some notable exceptions (Patrick Ness, Malorie Blackman and Juno Dawson to name a few), the biggest names in British children’s literature are overwhelmingly straight and white. So when I heard about A Change Is Gonna ...more
Beth Kemp
Fabulous collection offering a real range. Historical, contemporary, realism, fantasy, prose, poetry: everything is represented here - and all approaching the theme of change in very different ways. Brilliant way to explore the kaleidoscope of current writing for YA readers by writers of BAME heritage. Suitable for readers 12+ and highly recommended.
Megan  (thebookishtwins)
I received this free from the publisher via NetGalley

A Change is Gonna Come is a YA anthology written by both new and established BAME authors based on the theme of change – each author approaching the theme differently. I had heard so many brilliant things about this anthology but the hype is to be believed.

While there has been active discussions and campaign for more diverse books and voices in YA, I do feel like UK publishing is still overwhelmingly white and straight, especially compared to
Louise / Daisy May Johnson
A Change Is Gonna Come is a compilation of short stories and poems from 12 Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic writers, ranging freely over a series of topics and themes, and pretty much all of them are rather wonderful, powerful contributions. What really struck me about this collection is the care that's been taken over every element in it; from the striking and wonderful cover design (for more on that, have a look at this, to the note in the introduction from the editorial mentee (a good thing, ...more
Hannah
Change is hard; still, maintain the charge.
They may have the safety,
But the bravery is all ours.

This is a wonderful anthology. It's incredibly diverse- including not only different races and religions but also mental health issues and the LGBT+ spectrum. I would love to see this book get more publicity and see more own voices reviews of it too!

The vast majority of the stories are well written and beautiful- I really enjoyed all but two, which is much better than I was expecting and both of t
Hannah (jellicoereads)
3.5

This is truly a much-needed addition to the growing trend of of YA anthologies. A Change is Gonna Come is collection of poetry and short-stories by UK-based black and other minority ethnic authors. The stories contained within this volume are varied and interesting, featuring protagonists from a wide range of backgrounds: from a girl with anxiety and OCD, to a blind boy who discovers wormholes and time travel. The running theme is, as the title suggests, on the idea of change - whether in the
Katey Lovell
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a fantastic book. This collection of short stories from BAME writers is thought-provoking and stirring, and the talent within its pages is astounding! Aisha Busby's touching story was a particular favourite, and as in all collections there were some that weren't quite as well suited to my reading tastes as others, but what Stripes have done getting this book out there is awesome. What a great book!
Janay Brazier
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read as part of my 24 hour readathon for Rays of Sunshine Children’s Charity. Longer review will be over on my blog. I really enjoyed this, the various authors all had such a different take on this concept and I thought every story and poem was so unique. Definitely recommend.
NizRite
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very quick read of stories by some established BAME writers and four new ones. Look out for Yasmin Rahman's Fortune Favours the Bold, although I know the author so may be a tad biased! Nikesh Shukla's We Who? is powerful and hard-hitting, and unfortunately resonated with me due to a similar experience.

Annalise
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
#ChangeBook is the breath of fresh air the publishing industry needs right now. It’s a collection of short stories and poems from 12 BAME authors centred around the theme of ‘change’ - four of those authors are unpublished and ones to watch out for.

I bought this book because I think it’s important to send out a message to the publishing industry that we need more diverse books, more BAME authors. A bonus was the amazing stories inside, which were exactly what I was looking for - stories about cu
Kirsty
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it
the stories in themselves were good but I really struggle with anthologies generally. Would be very interested in reading more from all of the authors.
Christina Reid
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
What a fantastic anthology! More, more please!
(Full review to come)
Pippa
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Will be reviewing on the blog as one of my favourite reads in my quarterly 'Books You Need In Your Life' series!

- Life Of Pippa (www.lifeofpippa.co.uk/)
« previous 1 3 next »

• How to Understand Your Gender: A Practical Guide for Exploring Who You Are
  • I Am Thunder
  • What Magic Is This?
  • The A to Z of You and Me
  • 極主夫道 2 (Gokushufudou: The Way of the Househusband, #2)
  • Born to Run
  • Parenting The Sh*t Out Of Life: For people who happen to be parents (or might be soon).
  • The Love Hypothesis
Mary Florence Bello was born in North London to Nigerian Parents. She grew up on a diet of Yoruba folk tales, Roald Dahl books and Seamus Heaney poems, has an eclectic taste in music (which often finds its way into her writing) and a penchant for cute dresses and impossibly high heels.