Start by marking “Chopstick (Forever Friends #1)” as Want to Read:
Chopstick (Forever Friends #1)

Chopstick

(Forever Friends #1)

Two girls each have friends, family, and crushes pushing for them to win. But they can't both win - someone must lose and disappoint those who love them.

Paige Winsome has always been in the shadow of her athletic brother and academic sister and, as a result, is too often overlooked by her family.

Kate Kennedy, a pastor's daughter and only child, received plenty of praise
Published October 1st 2005 by Quaystrokes (first published July 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Chopstick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chopstick

Melissa
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Thirteen-year-old Paige Winsome has a life that might make many girls jealous. She has a successful father, large home, and close-knit siblings. Yet Paige has always felt second-best, compared to her athletic brother and smart sister. Although Paige plays piano, sings and composes music, nothing she does seems to garner her parents' notice or approval. Paige tends to get lost in the shuffle. She hopes that making the youth group worship team will make her family more aware of her talents, but ev ...more
Jill Williamson
Nov 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Chopstick is the second book in Sandra Byrd’s Friends for a Season Series. From the outside, it might seem like thirteen-year-old Paige has it all: a wealthy family, outgoing siblings, a beautiful home, and a great wardrobe. But Paige isn’t happy. She feels invisible. If only her family and friends could see how talented she was. When she sees the ad for the Worship Works contest, she knows she’s found the perfect way to let her gifts shine before others. Plus, the $400 prize is just what she ne ...more
Janette Fuller
Dec 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, christian
One girl sells the other a guitar and they seal their new friendship with a pair of chopsticks from a Chinese restaurant. The girls love music but their lives are very different.
Paige Winsome has always been in the shadow of her athletic brother and her academic sister. She feels like she has to fight for attention in her affluent family and that her musical talents are overlooked.
Kate Kennedy is an only child. Her father is a pastor but has to work a second job to make ends meet. Kate uses he
Ellen
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am impressed by Sandra Byrd so far. She has created a preteen novel that feels authentic, answering many of the questions of friendship: how is it born, how does it grow, and how can it survive selfishness? Byrd does a good job bringing in a Christian point of view as a natural part of the character's lives. That's most impressive, since Christian fiction at this age level is often forced and contrived.

The only drawback I experienced was getting confused between who was talking. The POV shifts
Lynn
May 26, 2015 rated it liked it
First of all, this book has some WONDERFUL lessons about humility, trust in God, selflessness, and what constitutes a really good gift!

Second, this book is Christian fiction, and I don't normally read Christian fiction. I AM a Christian, but I usually find this type of fiction annoying. The characters are usually too perfect or "perfectly flawed." I don't know if those books just don't seem realistic to me or if they make me feel bad about myself because I'm not perfect.

Lastly, this is definitel
Nov 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is probably my favorite book in the Friends for a Seaon series! I liked reading about two girls who became fast friends and were dedicated to sharing their honest feelings and no matter what, still being friends. I have a friend like that, and I am so glad. I think if more friendships had this attitude we'd be in a much better place.

Also, the book shows that we should not try to tell God what to do, and we should also not judge other people. It does not turn out well. I also like that the b
Melanie
Dec 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Chopsticks was such a great read! I loved the friendship part of the story and how they had to choose between wanting to win themselves and also rooting for their friend, since she also had good reasons for wanting to win the prize.

While the book is geared towards young readers, adults can also enjoy the story and I recommend it...it's a great book, especially for tweens/teens.

*I received a complimentary eBook copy of this book for my honest review. As always, all thoughts and opinions expresse
Emily
Oct 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I recently completed reading chopsticks and it was a very good book!It addressed many challenges that many girls face in their tween years and taught some very very good lessons for young girls!I enjoyed this book and was so happy to own it finally I will be reading this book over many times I can tell!It also taught lessons and the girls in the book went through challenges that all tween girls face as well as me and it addresses things very modestly and I could understand things very well!I wou ...more
Lydia
Mar 18, 2010 rated it liked it
ok: i am on a search for a good God book that isnt cheesy. im christian, i like the stories, its just the whole way they lay out these people relationships with god i just dont get its all gung-ho jesus! i like that, yknow, im a jesus freak, but still, i want the non cheesy stuff. pretty good other than that aspect of it.
Tiffany
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, ya
Great book for junior high girls about trying to be who God wants you to be rather than trying to be a people pleaser or just fit in. A book I want my little girl to read when she is old enough. A good remind ever for adults!
Mary
Jul 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I totally loved this book! Need to read it again!
Ying
Aug 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
I liked it! ;] I commonly shy away from this type of story, but I liked it a lot.
Ali Weide
Jul 14, 2014
Gina
Aug 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Lucy Doesn't Wear Pink (Lucy #1)
  • A Bundle of Trouble: A Rebecca Mystery
  • The Winter of Candy Canes (Sweet Seasons, #3)
  • Living With Fred (The Fred Books, #2)
  • The Crystal Ball: A Rebecca Mystery
  • The Hidden Gold: A Marie-Grace Mystery
  • Breaking Up Is Hard to Do (Miracle Girls, #2)
  • Girl Next Door
  • Pink♥♥Innocent, Vol. 1 (Pink Innocent, #1)
  • The Best Friend (Life at Kingston High, #2)
  • Bookmark Days (Girlfriend Fiction, #9)
  • A City Tossed and Broken: The Diary of Minnie Bonner, San Francisco, California, 1906 (Dear America)
  • A Wizard's Dozen: Stories Of The Fantastic
  • Indigo Girls (Girlfriend Fiction, #2)
  • Always Mackenzie (Girlfriend Fiction, #4)
  • Awesomely Ally's World
  • A Horse for Mandy
  • With the Might of Angels: The Diary of Dawnie Rae Johnson, Hadley, Virginia, 1954 (Dear America)
Bestselling author Sandra Byrd has published fifty books over her editing and writing career. Her traditionally published books include titles by Howard Books, a division of Simon and Schuster, Tyndale House Publishers, WaterBrook Press, an imprint of Penguin Random House, and Bethany House Publishers.

Sandra’s series of historically sound Gothic romances launched with the best-selling Mist of Mid

Forever Friends (3 books)
  • Red Velvet (Forever Friends, #2)
  • Daisy Chains (Forever Friends #3)