Start by marking “Andrew Jackson and the Miracle of New Orleans: The Battle That Shaped America's Destiny” as Want to Read:

Another pop history pageturner from the New York Times bestselling authors of George Washington's Secret Six and Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates.

When the British fought the young United States during the War of 1812, they knew that taking the mouth of the Mississippi River was the key to crippling their former colony. Capturing the city of New Orleans and stoppin
Published October 24th 2017 by Sentinel

To ask other readers questions about Andrew Jackson and the Miracle of New Orleans, please sign up.
Joe I see many citations in the rear of the book. Original letters/correspondence and early bio's. The citations/notes from pages 239-251, are 13 pages lo…moreI see many citations in the rear of the book. Original letters/correspondence and early bio's. The citations/notes from pages 239-251, are 13 pages long.(less)

Start your review of Andrew Jackson and the Miracle of New Orleans: The Battle That Shaped America's Destiny
L.A. Starks
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although history gives theoretical (and civic) context when one is young, it can be far more interesting and perhaps should be reserved for those no longer in school, or at least those of us with some longer context of living, aka "lived experience."

While I appreciate that rough-hewn, backwoods Andrew Jackson is considered to have a mixed legacy, this book is well worth reading for its explanation of the Battle of New Orleans, the key turning point in the lesser-known, but vital, conflict in Ame
Scott
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book at an airport to read on a plane. This is very much an airport book. It's entertaining, and it was fun to learn more about the battle of New Orleans, but Jackson is a complicated character, and this portrayal crosses the line from "sympathetic" into "fawning," and "borderline inaccurate, historical revisionism." I know those are harsh words, but this book glosses over A LOT. I should have been more suspicious when Brad f-ing Thor was one of the jacket authors praising this. An ...more
Renae
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book should not be considered 'non-fiction; rather it should be placed with the personal essay collection and titled "AndRew JackSON is the BESTEST president ever". I have no idea how a non-fiction historical book gets written and published without one single reference to a primary source but somehow this nonsense did. The quality (lack thereof) of historical fact checking and reference wouldn't even pass a high school history class.

At best this was a cute story from a personal opinion sta
Clint Smith
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well researched, detail-oriented account of one of the most pivotal periods in America history. Unfortunately, most citizens have very little knowledge of this topic. I recommend it to everyone with an interest in America's past, present, and future.
Celia
Another excellent narrative non-fiction. I not only read but listened to the voice of Brian Kilmeade, the author. He is a radio talk show host on Fox. His reading expertise shows.

I know that many people do not value or like Andrew Jackson. I understand why because his stance on Indian rights was abominable. However, I do begrudgingly admire him for his courage, his courtly manner and his love for his wife, Rachel.

The Volunteers from TN were greatly outnumbered in the Battle of New Orleans. But J
Matthew Haddick
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
I got this book for Christmas 2017 and read it in three days.

I wasn't sure exactly what to expect from it. I'd heard Kilmeade promote it and seen it advertised on the web, but I'd never read a Kilmeade book before. I didn't know if it would be a history book or in some way a self-promotion for Kilmeade, a morning news show anchor.

Well, I was surprised. It was stunningly good. It is definitely a history book, but it has a story-telling aspect to it that's difficult to find in most books of this g
Rob
Nov 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military
We were lucky to win the War of 1812. We had lost control of the war in the north, losing battles in Canada. Then British troops set the White House on fire. If the British conquered New Orleans, they would control the mouth of the Mississippi River, cutting America off from its dream of western expansion, let alone forever changing Mardi Gras as we know it. In steps Andrew Jackson in the well-known refrain: “In 1814 we took a little trip, . . .” It’s not David McCullough, but read it for the im ...more
Wes Knapp
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love American history and this book opened my eyes to aspects of the War of 1812 that I had only briefly studied. This is a must read for those interested in the history of New Orleans. I was surprised to read of Sam Houston and Davy Crockett 's involvement in Old Hickory's army.
From Jean Lafitte to the Ursuline nuns to the multicultural mix of New Orlean's own citizens - all have a part in this story. Don't miss it!
Jeanette
This is a breezy book which follows the life of Andrew Jackson. From his earliest orphan and schooling experiences, it follows the years of his 20's quite quickly. As being from Nashville, TN Jackson is always looked upon as the backwoods "outsider" in the systems which saw Eastern coast city men heading each and every aspect of the government and the military. So much so that the "west" as it was then in identity, was not a central onus for purpose.

It follows all the linear in time progression
John Nevola
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Andrew Jackson and the Miracle at New Orleans
When most Americans think about the battle of New Orleans, they envision a day long battle in which the hapless British threw themselves against a wall of well-entrenched Americans and suffered an ignominious defeat. There was a battle on January 8, 1815 that conforms to this perception but it was the culmination of a series of skirmishes that led up to that fateful (for the British) day.
In fact, the struggle to keep New Orleans from British hands too
SoulSurvivor
I've loved , loved history since elementary school . I attended grades 1-4 in California , and it was all about California . Rural Pennsylvania was all about America , and university was the world . I knew some stuff about the War of 1812 : the burning of the white house & capital , Madison's war , The Treaty of Ghent and the battle of New Orleans (all superficially) . This volume was very easy to read and enjoy , and filled in all the gaps , especially about Andrew Jackson's crucial role in sec ...more
Scott  Hitchcock
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, history
3.5*'s

Entertaining account of the events. It's funny how much you forget from your school days about important historical events such as these.
Scott Rhee
Before Andrew Jackson became President of the United States of America in 1928, before he founded the Democratic Party, and before he became the architect of the infamous Trail of Tears, Jackson was a Major General in the Tennessee militia during America’s first real test of strength, the War of 1812.

Brian Kilmeade and Don Yaeger, in their third installment of what I facetiously call the FOX News American Historical Revisionist Triptych, “Andrew Jackson and the Miracle of New Orleans”, have once
Jason Pettus
Mar 31, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, history
Here's what I learned by reading Andrew Jackson and the Miracle of New Orleans, by Fox News talking head Brian Kilmeade and "ghostwritten" (i.e. actually written) by Don Yaeger:

--That Andrew Jackson's "miracle victory" during the War of 1812 was basically to stay alive over the course of two weeks, when his non-trained militia of mostly volunteers faced off against a British force ten times its size, fresh off their victory in the Napoleonic Wars;

--That this battle took place two weeks after Bri
Fred Forbes
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My 5th great uncle was a murderer. Also Thomas Jefferson's nephew. He and his brother killed a slave named George for dropping a plate. Rather than face trial, the two decided to commit suicide in the family plot in Western Kentucky. While one of them, Lilburne Lewis used a stick to demonstrate how to kill oneself should the flintlock malfunction after they attempted to shoot each other the gun accidentally discharged killing him. The "survivor", Isham Lewis was arrested but managed to escape th ...more
RITA BOTTILLO
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful read

This should be read to our schoolchildren when studying the war of 1812 . This is well written telling of our history that takes the reader the battle as it unfolds. It is instructing, and entertaining. It captures the spirit of the establishment of our republic. A mustread
Richard Fournet
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️5/5
This book should be required reading for all students!

Especially Louisiana students!

All of the residents of New Orleans, this is a book that should be in your library!

You can thank me later 😇
Shirley (stampartiste)
As a south Louisianan, I'm ashamed to admit that I never knew - until I read this book - the significance the Battle of New Orleans played in American history. If Jackson and his varied collection of mostly amateur freedom fighters had lost this battle to the mighty military force of Great Britain, the United States could very well have extended only to the Mississippi River (if that). It was a fascinating story told with great detail and helpful illustrations. This book made me "see" the battle ...more
John Brissette
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very well done history

As a New Orleanian, the very home I have today is due to this polarizing, difficult, driven man. This history of Maj Gen Jackson & the Battle of New Orleans reads well. More like a story or novel than a history book I found it to be an engaging page turner that was over before I knew it. I loved it. Now not everyone gets to read it looking out a window that looks down onto the plains of Chalmette just downriver from my home here, but it is so well written you might think y
Joe Ricca
A jaunty telling of the War of 1812, and the exceptional battlefield tactics of Andrew Jackson. Though after reading you will be asking yourself if it wasn't for the over confident and greedy British Generals, would the United States look different today. Possibly, and the Native Americans (I hope that's what they are going by today) may have fared better as well.

Greed, it's still whats for dinner. Just don't choke on your just deserts.
Wayne
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It seems a bit of a stretch to term an historical account a "page turner", but "Andrew Jackson and the Miracle of New Orleans" fits the bill. Granted, most of the book describes the battle & the events immediately leading up to it which, as with many compact historical events (e.g. "Blackhawk Down"), can make for exciting reading. However, the author does provide context surrounding this famous battle for the reader, mostly from the standpoint of Jackson's participation in the lead-up events. No ...more
Jack Hansen
A brief background about Andrew Jackson's beginnings and his perseverance in most difficult situations preludes the Battle of New Orleans. This city is crucial for control of the territory west of the Mississippi River and the wealth such a port provides via trade from Northern and Midwestern regions in North America. If the British capture the city, America could easily collapse as a new country. The British destruction of Washington D.C. scatters the United States government into survival mode ...more
Art
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very readable history book and a surprisingly wonderful quick read.

There is nothing dry about this story of Andrew Jackson and his successful defense of New Orleans against vastly superior British forces in the War of 1812.

Jackson is a populist president who earned his following while saving his country and its future by winning the battle at a time when the country had no experienced generals and was lacking leadership.

At risk is the control of the Mississippi River, which would preve
Hunter Satterfield
Quick, insightful read on the Battle of New Orleans during the War of 1812. Taught me a few things I didn't know about the War of 1812 and Old Hickory. The third book that Kilmeade has written in the "pop history" genre. All three books are very good, but the Jefferson/Tripoli pirates one was my favorite. I recommend all three for those seeking light history lessons.
Rick
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent book about Jackson. It is based solely on the Battle of New Orleans which is one of the best accounts of the battle and how it developed. The celebrations of the victory were detailed. In an afterword, there was a brief overview of Jackson and a bit of the controversy surrounding the man. Overall, I highly recommend this book!
Jon
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a phenomenally fun read. It was interesting to see just how hard Andrew Jackson fought and how he overcame odds by using wit and strategy. It's pretty short, and told in a nice narrative way that engages a reader.
Thomas
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well researched, excellent notes and bibliography, Kilmeade also makes history writing a page turner. I really enjoyed his previous two books, George Washington's spy ring and Jefferson and the Barbary Pirates, and this book does not disappoint. Well worth the time, check it out.
Chad Brady
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good look at the battle that made a president. As much of a draw as the war of 1812 was, the battle for New Orleans was a decisive victory for the Americans, and it is the battle that saved post 1812 America from a resurgent presence of the British in the americas! USA! USA! USA!!
Clay Davis
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best book to read on the date of the Battle of New Orleans.
Marieke Desmond
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed how readable and exciting this account of the Battle of New Orleans was. This book builds a portrait of Jackson up to and during that battle which decided the outcome of the War of 1812 militarily if not diplomatically. It is a positive almost glowing account of President Jackson’s strategy and leadership which may irk some people but it shouldn’t. This book doesn’t pretend to be the definitive biography of Andrew Jackson and readers ought not take it as such.

The hardscrabble A

• Killing Patton: The Strange Death of World War II's Most Audacious General
  • The First Conspiracy: The Secret Plot to Kill George Washington
  • Killing the Rising Sun: How America Vanquished World War II Japan
  • Bill O'Reilly's Legends and Lies: The Civil War
  • In the Hurricane's Eye: The Genius of George Washington and the Victory at Yorktown
  • Bill O'Reilly's Legends and Lies: The Patriots
  • The Pioneers: The Heroic Story of the Settlers Who Brought the American Ideal West
  • The Rifleman
  • Countdown 1945: The Extraordinary Story of the 116 Days that Changed the World
  • The Feud: The Hatfields and McCoys, The True Story
  • The Lincoln Conspiracy: The Secret Plot to Kill America's 16th President⁠—and Why It Failed
  • Killing Reagan: The Violent Assault That Changed a Presidency (Bill O'Reilly's Killing Series)
  • The United States of Trump: How the President Really Sees America
As cohost of FOX & Friends, the number one rated morning program on cable television for the past nine years, Brian Kilmeade shares his unique perspective on the daily news. He has interviewed the biggest names in politics, sports and entertainment, often securing exclusive content.

Kilmeade played a large part in FOX ís coverage of September 11th, as well as coverage including reporting from war z

News & Interviews

“weighed perhaps 120 pounds.” 0 likes
“The sons of America,” he went on, “have given a new proof how impossible it is to conquer freemen fighting in defense of all that is dear to them.” 0 likes