Start by marking “Effective Cycling” as Want to Read:
Effective Cycling

Effective Cycling

The core of John Forester's concept of Effective Cycling is thatbicyclists fare best when they act, and are treated in return, as drivers ofvehicles, with the same rights and responsibilities that motorists have.In this newedition of his classic introductory work, Forester reasserts this idea in terms ofpractice and education as well as theory while also addressing--among

Paperback, Sixth Edition, 625 pages
Published December 29th 1992 by MIT Press (first published January 1st 1984)

William Cline
This is the textbook on vehicular cycling, which is best summarized in Forester’s own words: “Cyclists fare best when they act and are treated as drivers of vehicles.” Vehicular cycling is a set of principles and practices for riding a bicycle safely and confidently on public streets to get where you want to go. Those of us with driver’s licenses learn the rules of the road, of course, but driver’s education doesn't teach how apply them to riding a small, relatively slow two-wheeled vehicle.

The
Christopher
Jan 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bicycles
I acquired and digested this book at about the same time I started getting really serious about bicycle advocacy and bicycling as a lifestyle. I don't know which, if either, was the cause and which was the effect, but this book is part manifesto, part repair/maintenance manual, and all awesome.
Phill Melton
Oct 15, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Good God, where do I even start with John F'n Forester? The "stuck in the mid-80's" advice on bikes and tech—you know, advising us to drill hubs for oil lube like Campy hubs used to be, use brakes made by a company that stopped making brakes in '91, advice to racers to use bar end shifters (which, even in the 80's, they didn't), and no mention of hybrid frames, today's most popular commuter and townie platform? The unfair, misleading, uncited, and generally bad generalizations of past studies—re ...more
Jane
Aug 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Reading an older edition, this was DATED. The chapter on love - "courting" - was particularly charming.

Content-wise, I appreciated most of the author's opinions about biking with traffic, but I think we're past the point of being militantly anti-bike lane. 'Tis the world we live in. His assumption is that ALL cyclists SHOULD aspire to be just like him: a full-time, cycling lifer. He's not living in the world of casual/part-time commuters and errand-running bikers who don't train or think particu
Jack Lu
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's a wonderful handbook on bike repair and cycling training. I like this writing about the feeling of cycling:

“you have the complete satisfaction of arriving because your mind has chosen the path and steered you over it; your eyes have seen it; your muscles have felt it; your breathing, circulatory, and digestive systems have all done their natural functions better than ever, and every part of your being knows you have traveled and arrived.”

Excerpt From: John Forester. “Effective Cycling.” iB
Reuel
Aug 22, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This 1993 book is the 6th edn. Forester has been info all aspects of cycling for decades--as had his parents, uncle, and grandparents before.

The result of all that inter-generational cycling experience is a gigantic compendium of info on cycling--bikes; maintenance; safety; cycling in traffic, rain, winter, dark; clubs; racing, politics and cycling activism. Intended for novice through fairly expert cyclists (the maintenance stuff is way beyond basics). I read about half of the book, focusing o
Shayne
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: real-book
Full of useful information on riding: how to ride straight, how to move smoothly with traffic, how to care for and fix your bike. Also some description of various ways to ride, from touring to racing to commuting, that is interesting and gives some ideas of how you might want to take your cycling habit forward. Took me a long time to get through, but this was a book I was glad to reread.
Shayne
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: real-book
Niche textbook, with lots of information for those planning on riding their bikes with any sort of seriousness. Long, but as the author suggests, you can skip around quite a lot to read the bits that interest you while avoiding the rest. This is the sort of book that would make a good reference for the serious bike rider.
Alec Binyon
May 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a reference manual / deep study of the sport of cycling. If you are serious about your bicycle and want to ride a lot, and ride well, this book is a must. It's going to sit on the reference shelf until my legs are too old or broken to pedal. Awesome book.
Alejandro
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Muy útil, este libro contiene todo lo que un ciclista medianamente competente debe saber: mecánica, biciactivismo y relaciones entre la literatura y el ciclismo. Sería mejor si se actualizara la edición.
First Second Books
I’m hoping this book will offer me some insights into how not to perish on the streets of NYC with my new bike, Nadia.
Olivia Hinthong Arends
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book gave me the confidence to ride on the road with cars. This is a great reference for those wanting to realize their full biking potential.
Unigami
Feb 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, how-to
Every cyclist should read this book.
John
Bob
Aug 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
1 follower
John Forester is an American industrial engineer and a noted cycling activist known as "the father of vehicular cycling" and for coining the term Effective Cycling.

Early life

Born in East Dulwich, London, England, Forester is the elder son of the writer and novelist C. S. Forester and his wife Kathleen. He moved with his family to Berkeley, California, in March 1940 and attended public schools ther