Start by marking “Black Goat Blues (The Mythos War #2)” as Want to Read:
Black Goat Blues (The Mythos War #2)

Black Goat Blues

(The Mythos War #2)

In Red Right Hand, Charlie Tristan Moore was thrust into a nightmarish world of lurking Lovecraftian horrors when The Man In Black, a diabolical Elder God, chose her as his unwilling Acolyte. Discovering her own power, Charlie ultimately defied The Man In Black, but at a cost.

Now armed with a magic coat made from the skin of a flayed angel, Charlie is out to destroy The Ma
Published November 7th 2017 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Black Goat Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Goat Blues

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
I was a bit on the fence about this book, if I should read it or not since I hadn't read the first book, Red Right Hand. However, the fabulous cover and my weakness for Lovecraftian stories made me dare to start this book and I'm thrilled to say that the book worked very well, despite that I had not read the first book.

The story in this book takes place some weeks after the story ended in the first book. Charlie defeated The Man In Black, but he's still alive and Charlie goes after him in this b
Shelley
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Source* NetGalley
*Genre* Horror
*Rating* 4.0

*Thoughts*

"Darkness presses against the windows of the car. It's not my car, just one that someone left unlocked. I needed to sit for a moment after wishing myself here. Using magick can really suck the batteries dry."

Black Goat Blues is the second installment in author Levi Black's The Mythos War series. The story picks up several weeks after the ending of Red Right Hand. Protagonist Charlotte (Charlie) Tristan Moore is hunting the Man in Black (Nyarl
Cats of Ulthar March of Shoggoths
Review: BLACK GOAT BLUES by Levi Black (The Mythos War Book 2)

After all the trouble, danger, and magic in Book 1, RED RIGHT HAND, Charlie (Charlotte) might be ready to rest. But when you've been Marked by an Elder God, rest is a thing of the past. (And Charlie's never really rested since age fourteen.) After being jerked back across the universe by a certain Elder God, battling others, all the trickery, deceit, set-ups, this girl Is ready to get down and fix said Elder God's wagon. But first she
Lee
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
The writer's style has improved since the previous book, but the characters are still very loose and have me wondering if they have any real substance to them since none of them grow. The action in this redeems the book's wobbly character arcs though. Honestly, the pacing of these books alone is what pulls me through them, there's almost no downtime.

That being said, I have little incentive to continue reading them because nobody is changing, and the plot is very predictable. It keeps promising a
Kdawg91
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great urban fantasy, I already said elsewhere that I love Lovecraftian stuff way more when Lovecraft doesn't do it. The Mythos war is a great series and Black Goat Blues is a tight, bloody, action packed visceral work. It is a pretty by the book urban fantasy series, but the sheer force and wonderful vision of the world and the characters make it worth the read.

I look forward to more of this world. check it out
Darrell Grizzle
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Black Goat Blues is an action/horror novel set in the Lovecraftian mythos. The novel is a wild ride between dimensions ranging from the present day to Lost Carcosa and other realms of dark magick. At times hallucinatory, at times horrific, but always engaging. The main character Charlie is more adept and more bad-ass than she was in the first novel, Red Right Hand, but it isn't necessary to read the first novel to enjoy Black Goat Blues. I'm looking forward to the next novel in this series.
Annie
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Originally published on my blog: Nonstop Reader.

Black Goat Blues is the second book in the Mythos War series by Levi Black. I read this book out of order as a standalone and was immediately drawn into the story and wound up reading it in one sitting. After finishing it, I sourced the first book and am looking forward to reading it as soon as I can.

This is a Lovecraftian horror urban fantasy with all the trimmings. There are elder gods aplenty, machinations, revenge, crazy (extremely creepy)
Casia Courtier
Nov 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
I want to begin by saying that I received a copy of Black Goat Blues for an honest review. It was given to me by TOR via Jean Book Nerd blog tours. I was not compensated in any way.

I am new to Levi Black. I didn't read the first book to this series, but I have to say that I am intrigued by Charlie Moore and the dark world Black has created. Or should I say expanded upon?

I say it like that because there are Lovecraftian Elder Gods in this book that play central roles to the magic and horror. Cth
Melissa Bennett
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the first book in this series and would have to say I love this one as well! I just adore Charlie! She is quick witted, tough, compassionate and loyal. I can see why there are so many that are quick to be by her side. Even the bad guys in the book are likable in their own evil way.
This one starts off soon after the 1st one ends. Charlie has been going around kicking butt and looking for the Man in Black. In doing so, she picks up some side kicks and they venture out to smack some Elder G
Jeff Raymond
I really enjoyed the first book in this series, Red Right Hand, I felt like it really nailed the feeling of Lovecraftian helplessness and despair. This second book dials that back for a lot of the story, which was unfortunate, but once everything finally lined up and came together about halfway through, I was fully and completely in love yet again.

There’s plenty to like here, and a lot of solid storytelling and desperation throughout. Enough nods and easter eggs for any Lovecraft aficionado to
Sarai
I have to say this book surprised me. It is the second in a series and while the first would have helped to a point I didn't feel that I needed it. There was a moment that I couldn't understand the desire and the absolute need to be with Daniel but I figured it had to be because I missed the story in the first book.
Charlie is an interesting character that just won't quit. She is constantly after The Man In Black no matter what or who stands in her way. She isn't as bad ass as it appears and slo
Jennifer Gottschalk
An unnecessarily dark, weird book by a self confessed weird author. It had a lot of potential but failed to deliver. The story did not go anywhere and was, at times deeply unsettling without really having much of a point. This was an uncomfortable read which was mercifully brief. I kept waiting for things to improve but sadly they did not.

Needless to say, I won't be reading any more of this series as it was not my cup of tea.
Gen
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Just as good as the first book

OMG I'm so in love with this series and sad that these books aren't getting the attention they deserve! The only thing that annoyed me was the cliffhanger ending. Other than that, it was a great read.
Greg
Apr 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
ok
Jeff
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Will be on the lookout for book 1 of the series. Great romp through the halls of forgotten Gods and the twisted ways they operate, though I have to admit the restaurant surprised me...
Victorique Crawford
I just really didn’t understand nor care what was happening here. That was the main problem. The characters were flat and the plot was nonexistent, and that was just about it.

At the beginning the writing was rather charming, but right about the end I found it tedious and even annoying as it was just too much. It had so much context than what I initially expected or even decided. And that when I become confused I really get confused.

Charlie was difficult to even like as all his actions were writt
Jaclyn Hogan
I received a digital ARC of this book from Netgalley.

Charlie Tristan Moore returns in a quest to save her boyfriend and stop Nyarlathotep, as known as the man in black.

After weeks spent beside Daniel's hospital bed, Charlie knows he isn't going to wake up on his own. She has to track down the man in black and make him return Daniel's soul. Her search leads her to Carcosa, where the man in black has become a slave of the Yellow King, Hastur. Charlie will need all of her magic, and the help of so
Zack Rees
Dec 21, 2018
Mary Stalcup
May 13, 2018

The Mythos War (3 books)
  • Red Right Hand (The Mythos War #1)
  • Death Goddess Dance (The Mythos War, #3)